http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 10:48:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting wisdom tooth pulled- any words of wisdom?  (Read 2380 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:37:31 PM »

well, on Thursday me and my one wisdom tooth will finally be parting ways after about 7 years.  We've just grown too far apart, and it's heading in a direction that's just not right for me.  Anyways, having never had anything like this done before, I'm not sure what to expect other than a bunch of bleeding and possibly some pain.  Any advice on what to eat afterwards (or any other advice related to the whole deal)?  I could have sworn a friend of mine ate soup afterwards, but I haven't been able to get ahold of him and I heard hot stuff is bad.

On the plus side, it will give me a nice weekend of gaming goodness.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:40:50 PM »

I hope you have a good dentist. I had all 4 pulled at once, one of which had to be drilled in half to extract and I didn't even use the pain meds Rx.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »

ceekay do you smoke? if you do - DONT DO IT AFTER SURGERY!

i dated a girl who did this (despite being told not to very vociferously, multiple times) - its very, very dumb and shows a complete lack of medical causality
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »

no smoking for me.  As for the dentist, he was recommended by my boss so I hope he's good, otherwise my boss my end up having to cancel his vacation which starts the middle of next week.

Because I can,
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

I had longer pain than normal when I had mine pulled several years ago.  I actually had some varying degree of pain for about a week.  The couple of days after it's extracted there will be blood... and it'll hurt a little to eat solid foods (at least it did for me), but I had some milkshakes and it was just fine.

I heard hot stuff was bad... so I did have soup but just let it be lukewarm and not blisteringly hot.

So hit the milkshakes!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »

Make sure you have a ride home.  I never had to have mine removed, but my wife had hers removed a few years ago.  She was extremely groggy and incoherent when she woke up from the anesthesia, but after a long nap and a bowl of ice cream she hopped in the car and headed to Baltimore to visit a friend.  All she had to do was change the gauze a few times when the wounds were fresh, but the bleeding stopped in a reasonable amount of time and she never complained much about pain.  And trust me, my wife doesn't handle pain well.  At all. 

If all goes smoothly you shouldn't have anything to worry about at all.  But no oral sex until your mouth is fully healed.  I know Calvin may be a little unhappy at first, but he has to understand that it is for the better. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:29:49 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 28, 2008, 05:26:12 PM

I know Calvin may be a little unhappy at first, but he has to understand that it is for the better. 

Hey!  What about me???
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 28, 2008, 05:29:49 PM

I know Calvin may be a little unhappy at first, but he has to understand that it is for the better. 

Hey!  What about me???

Unless you're also having your wisdom teeth removed, you don't have to abstain from orally pleasing Calvin. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 28, 2008, 05:31:30 PM

Unless you're also having your wisdom teeth removed, you don't have to abstain from orally pleasing Calvin. 

I left myself wide open for that one...Touche, PeteRock...Touche, indeed...
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 05:33:42 PM »

Quote from: depward on July 28, 2008, 05:12:27 PM

So hit the milkshakes!

That doesn't seem like a good idea. Sucking = sucking out the clot = bad. I'm no expert, but you might want to check on that advice. smile

from webmd:
Do not use a straw for the first few days. Sucking on a straw can loosen the blood clot and delay healing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:41:18 PM by coopasonic » Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 28, 2008, 05:32:31 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on July 28, 2008, 05:31:30 PM

I left myself wide open for that one...Touche, PeteRock...Touche, indeed...

ummm...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »

It will greatly depend on how difficult the extraction is.  In any case, getting just one done is not nearly as bad as getting 3 or 4 done at once.  I had one done, and then later had the other 3.  The one was not bad at all really.  My regular dentist did it and the only issue was that it did keep bleeding a bit for a while that day, which is common.  Later the same day, I drove about 5 hours to NC and went to a college football bowl game the next morning.  I just took some high-test Motrin for a day or two and all was well.  One extraction should be cake.

When I had the other 3 out, the first few days post-op weren't that bad but around day 3 or 4 my jaw was very sore as the bone began to heal.  It felt like I had been punched in the jaw and was bad enough that I had to break down and take the Vicodin.

If you are getting general anesthesia (you probably aren't since it's just one coming out, I'd think), then make sure you have a ride home.

Soft foods without any small stabby or annoying particles (like rice grains, which seem to get caught in places you do not want them) will be your friend.  Scrambled eggs, mac and cheese, apple sauce, pudding, etc.   Avoid smoking and sucking on straws, since you may dislodge the clot.  Just follow your doc's post-op instructions about gauze/rinsing/whatever and you'll be fine.  Pamper yourself as much as possible with DVDs, video games, etc.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 05:40:29 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 28, 2008, 05:33:42 PM

So hit the milkshakes!

That doesn't seem like a good idea. Sucking = sucking out the clot = bad. I'm no expert, but you might want to check on that advice. smile

Yep.  Forget the straw and eat it with a spoon. smile

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »

Dentist wants to remove 4 of mine and then had the nerve to ask why I haven't had it done yet.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 05:41:12 PM »

Make sure you have a ride home.  I never had to have mine removed, but my wife had hers removed a few years ago.  She was extremely groggy and incoherent when she woke up from the anesthesia, but after a long nap and a bowl of ice cream she hopped in the car and headed to Baltimore to visit a friend.  All she had to do was change the gauze a few times when the wounds were fresh, but the bleeding stopped in a reasonable amount of time and she never complained much about pain.  And trust me, my wife doesn't handle pain well.  At all. 

they aren't putting me under since it's suposed to be a fairly simple extraction.  The dentist said they'll just do a local anesthetic.  it's close to home too, so if I'm not too bad I can walk it, but I do have a ride lined up just in case.

If all goes smoothly you shouldn't have anything to worry about at all.  But no oral sex until your mouth is fully healed.  I know Calvin may be a little unhappy at first, but he has to understand that it is for the better. 

don't make me break your car window  Tongue

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 05:41:22 PM »

I had two wisdom teeth pulled back in 1991 when I was 26. Mine was a rather strange procedure where they used some sort of strong local anaesthetic, and I sort of was half-sitting/half-standing for it. The actual procedure I didn't feel hardly a thing. But I did have to call my doctor that night (the surgeon gave me his home number, which was nice of him) to ask for a stronger painkiller prescription. I think I was fine after that. The first couple of post-op days were worse for me but it was OK beyond that.

I do think the ability to reach your surgeon after hours is important, so that's something I would ask about (nowadays he/she would probably give you a cell phone number).

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2008, 05:41:12 PM

they aren't putting me under since it's suposed to be a fairly simple extraction.  The dentist said they'll just do a local anesthetic.  it's close to home too, so if I'm not too bad I can walk it, but I do have a ride lined up just in case.

In this case the ease of surgery depends on how "accepting" your jaw is of local anesthetic.  I've been told that my jaw is like concrete, and it takes a very long time for any local anesthetic to take effect.  The last time I had a cavity repaired I had the pleasure of feeling every bit of pain, even after the dentist waited a good hour for the anesthetic to take effect.  But, fortunately it kicked in just in time for lunch.  I could barely move my mouth and couldn't even tell if I were chewing my food or myself.   disgust  The next day when I went back to the dentist he asked, "So, what did you have for lunch yesterday......besides your lip."  Then he laughed like crazy.  Fucker.

Just make sure the anesthetic takes effect.   

don't make me break your car window  Tongue

And here I thought the temporary ban on oral sex would upset Calvin.  I had no idea you enjoyed it so much as well.

Anger is an understandable response.  Sexual repression can have such an effect.  Perhaps you and Calvin should try a little role reversal.  Let him play the bitch for once and finally allow you to feel what it is like to be in control. 

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 06:03:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2008, 05:41:12 PM

don't make me break your car window again Tongue

ninja

depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 06:26:18 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on July 28, 2008, 05:40:29 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on July 28, 2008, 05:33:42 PM

So hit the milkshakes!

Yep.  Forget the straw and eat it with a spoon. smile

Oops, yeah, that's what I forgot - you gotta plastic spoon-it.  No straws   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 06:30:28 PM »

Full anesthetic.???? for a wisdomtooth removal?? ookay, well, I've never heard of that before - In denmark its just local anesthetic, goodbye tooth, and you'r good to go home... no trouble whatsoever..

of course, you've just had minor surgery, so common sense is to be observed...

Btw, beware if its in the lower jaw - the lower part of your jawbone has to as strong as the entire upper part of your skull, making it a bitch at times, and it may hold on pretty well to your tooth. Anyways, that should be caught by any decent dentist.

A new one
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 06:32:06 PM »

I had all four out at once when I was 22 years old. I don't remember the surgery at all (heed PeteRock's advice to arrange a ride home), but had very little pain or inconvenience afterward and was quickly back to normal. Of course, the only tools our medicine men had back then were rocks.

When my wife had hers done, her jaw bruised and swelled for days. She was miserable.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:32 PM »

I had all 4 pulled at once, and I was so scared of the horror stories people told me, I took a week off and had it done at the hospital under anaesthesia, even stayed over night (all covered by insurance). I was worried for nothing, felt great the next day and enjoyed the week off.  As usual worried for nothing.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 28, 2008, 06:30:28 PM

Full anesthetic.???? for a wisdomtooth removal?? ookay, well, I've never heard of that before - In denmark its just local anesthetic, goodbye tooth, and you'r good to go home... no trouble whatsoever..

of course, you've just had minor surgery, so common sense is to be observed...

Btw, beware if its in the lower jaw - the lower part of your jawbone has to as strong as the entire upper part of your skull, making it a bitch at times, and it may hold on pretty well to your tooth. Anyways, that should be caught by any decent dentist.

I had just the local. I was interested in hearing my tooth being drilled in half. That was done first and I was shocked with how quickly he plucked the final 3 out in a few seconds.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2008, 04:37:31 PM

Getting wisdom tooth pulled- any words of wisdom?

Just one: "Outhz." slywink

If it's your top then it's simple; your dentist will likely roll it back with pliers and it'll be done in seconds.
If it's your bottom, there could be days of pain.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 28, 2008, 06:54:28 PM

If it's your bottom, there could be days of pain.

Now if THAT isn't screaming to be taken out of context and then tagged up as a sig, I don't know what is.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 28, 2008, 05:40:38 PM

Dentist wants to remove 4 of mine and then had the nerve to ask why I haven't had it done yet.

#1.  Pussy
#2.  Tell him you're a lawyer.  Watch him become nervous of you.

Full anesthetic.???? for a wisdomtooth removal?? ookay, well, I've never heard of that before

Me either, though I'm being a little bitchy about it.  People always make this mistake.  If the patient doesn't get local anesthesia, they'll get conscious sedation, which is misnamed a bit.  Conscious sedation, as used in dentistry for wisdom tooth extractions, means the person is fully able to respond to verbal cues, but won't remember any of it, since if the meds are titrated correctly it comes with a little retrograde amnesia.  That is, the patient thinks they're knocked out after the procedure (and will feel woozy as hell), but they were aware during it.  It's actually kind of cool.

What is Conscious Sedation?
This type of sedation induces an altered state of consciousness that minimizes pain and discomfort through the use of pain relievers and sedatives. Patients, who receive conscious sedation usually are able to speak and respond to verbal cues throughout the procedure, communicating any discomfort they experience to the provider. A brief period of amnesia may erase any memory of the procedure.

True general anesthesia, a.k.a. general sedation, means the person gets intubated and stuck on a ventilator in usually a hospital's OR.  I've never heard of that for wisdom tooth extractions (excepting special cases, such as special needs patients, or very complex surgical cases), as that's big money (talking 20k for administration), big liability for the anesthesiologist (relatively high mortality and many, many nasty side effects including post-operative nausea and often copious vomiting), and only really required for serious (i.e., not yanking teeth out) surgical procedures.

This message brought to you by a reformed dental nerd.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 07:08:59 PM »

Due to the large number of teeth I had pulled as a youth, I was somehow spared from having my wisdom teeth removed (not that they didn't wind up undoing some of the work my braces did). I think I wrote this up some other time, but my first couple of experiences getting teeth extracted were horrible due to the method of anesthesia that was used. I have always understood that it was some form of sodium pentathol, but I really don't know. There was a mask involved at some point, but you obviously can't have dental work done with a mask on.

Anyhoo, the final time I had teeth removed was with Novocaine, and it was soooooooooooo much better. In and out, no grogginess or anything. It's a little weird that they're prying your teeth out, but otherwise it is no big deal at all. I don't recall what I did afterwards, though.  Probably had some jello or something.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »

had all 4 taken out at once.  The lower 2 had to be broken in half to remove.....it hurt really bad.  They knocked me out for the procedure....I remember waking up in recovery....then being carried...yes 2 people carried me out to my parents car and they drove me home.....

As far as what to eat....

Mashed potato
Apple sauce
Ice cream
soups that have cooled down (a little heat isn't bad a day or so after)
Jello

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 07:25:26 PM »

when I had mine pulled they gave me laughing gas and numbed the area around the tooth. didn't really feel anything. they gave me some pain killers that i never needed to take. i don't think it took me more than a few days to recover either.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 11:58:55 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 28, 2008, 05:51:39 PM

don't make me break your car window  Tongue

And here I thought the temporary ban on oral sex would upset Calvin.  I had no idea you enjoyed it so much as well.

Anger is an understandable response.  Sexual repression can have such an effect.  Perhaps you and Calvin should try a little role reversal.  Let him play the bitch for once and finally allow you to feel what it is like to be in control. 

damn, Pete is full of all kinds of pwnage today! Is it OK if I pretend he's you?

Thanks for all the advice.  It's one of the top ones so it should be easy in and out with no bottom pain.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »

Make sure you have a ride there and back.  Otherwise when I had mine out it was barely a day of recovery and I was up and moving again.  Oh and the holes it leaves in your gums take months to get used to.  Make sure you regularly clean them out with the squirt thing they give you.  I mean like multiple times a day.  I had food get stuck in one and get infected and it sucked big time.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 02:49:40 AM »

I had one pulled a few years ago and it was simple, just local anasthetic.  However, the dentist pointed out that with the remaining three I would likely have to see an oral surgeon, as a full knockout would be required, because of how they were entrenched into my jaw.  I stil have them.

One thing I recommend is that you look into the issue of whether wisdom teeth need to be pulled.  While there are some specific issues that may require them to be pulled, there are a lot of dentists that recommend they all be pulled in your late teens/early 20's as a general rule.  However, there is not a lot of medical evidence that this is necessary.  What it really comes down to is that the dentists think it's harder for you to keep those back teeth clean and it's harder for them to deal with them if something happens. 

My plan is to keep my remaining three unless an isssue arises that specifically requires one be pulled (as was the case with the first, which didn't come in straight). 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on July 29, 2008, 02:49:40 AM

What it really comes down to is that the dentists think it's harder for you to keep those back teeth clean and it's harder for them to deal with them if something happens.

That's absolutely true; dentists don't "think" that, we know that. 

In general, absent a gigantic mouth, wisdom teeth are very hard for patients to keep clean, and are very hard for dentists to treat.  And if a wisdom tooth gets infected (which they easily can, for a variety of reasons including large pulp chambers, difficult distal cleaning access, pericoronitis, etc.), the infection can easily and quickly travel into the submandibular space, causing difficulties with such mundane things as breathing and swallowing.

Merck Manual on submandibular space infections

Submandibular space infection is acute cellulitis of the soft tissues below the mouth. Symptoms include pain, dysphagia, and potentially fatal airway obstruction. Diagnosis usually is clinical. Treatment includes airway management, surgical drainage, and IV antibiotics.

Submandibular space infection is a rapidly spreading, bilateral, indurated cellulitis occurring in the suprahyoid soft tissues, the floor of the mouth, and both sublingual and submaxillary spaces without abscess formation. Although not a true abscess, it resembles one clinically and is treated similarly.

The condition usually develops from an odontogenic infection, especially of the 2nd and 3rd mandibular molars, or as an extension of peritonsillar cellulitis.

Dysphagia is difficulty or pain on swallowing.

While getting them pulled isn't fun, and may cause you a weekend where you're uncomfortable, the alternative is a wee bit worse.

My plan is to keep my remaining three unless an isssue arises that specifically requires one be pulled (as was the case with the first, which didn't come in straight).

That's a fine plan.  But if you find you start getting pain, or start getting cavities in your wisdom teeth, get them pulled.  The weekend of discomfort isn't worth the possibility of an ER visit because you can't breathe.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:24:33 PM by Eightball » Logged
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »

eightball is here, so now i have to chime in on the discussion icon_wink

Quote from: Eightball on July 28, 2008, 06:56:31 PM

Full anesthetic.???? for a wisdomtooth removal?? ookay, well, I've never heard of that before

Me either, though I'm being a little bitchy about it.  People always make this mistake.  If the patient doesn't get local anesthesia, they'll get conscious sedation, which is misnamed a bit.  Conscious sedation, as used in dentistry for wisdom tooth extractions, means the person is fully able to respond to verbal cues, but won't remember any of it, since if the meds are titrated correctly it comes with a little retrograde amnesia.  That is, the patient thinks they're knocked out after the procedure (and will feel woozy as hell), but they were aware during it.  It's actually kind of cool.

when i had all four of my wisdom teeth removed years ago, i chose to have it done by an oral surgeon so that i could be "knocked out" rather than just receive local.  my extraction did involve actually cutting a couple of the teeth out, however, because they had not yet broken the surface.  i wasn't an anesthesiologist at the time so i'm not sure what i was given, but i'm guessing it was a fair amount of benzodiazepine (most likely Versed) and a little nitrous oxide...definitely not a general anesthetic, but enough that i might as well have been completely asleep for the entire procedure.  all four of my extractions were done in about 45 minutes, went home and slept off and on for the rest of the day, changed my gauze a few times, and ate dinner with my family that night.  by the next day, i was eating regular food again (being careful how i chewed) and never used any of the pain meds i was given  (Percocet)...couldn't have gone better in my opinion.

Quote from: Eightball
True general anesthesia, a.k.a. general sedation, means the person gets intubated and stuck on a ventilator in usually a hospital's OR.  I've never heard of that for wisdom tooth extractions (excepting special cases, such as special needs patients, or very complex surgical cases), as that's big money (talking 20k for administration), big liability for the anesthesiologist (relatively high mortality and many, many nasty side effects including post-operative nausea and often copious vomiting), and only really required for serious (i.e., not yanking teeth out) surgical procedures.

This message brought to you by a reformed dental nerd.

as for receiving a true general anesthetic (really no such thing as 'general sedation') for dental procedures, it actually does happen quite a bit, but not for 'routine' cases...fairly common for kids or mentally handicapped individuals requiring extensive oral rehab.  i've provided quite a few general anesthetics at the local children's hospital for otherwise healthy kids that needed multiple extractions or significant reconstruction (caps, crowns, etc) at an early age due to poor oral hygeine (aka parents who don't make their kids brush).  i've also done it for quite a few people of all ages that weren't mentally equipped to be awake for their work.  while any general anesthetic carries a small amount of risk, it is by no means a 'big liability' for us and doesn't really carry any specific morbidity or mortality beyond that of other outpatient procedures (which is minimal or we wouldn't do it).  there really aren't that many 'nasty side effects' from a well-managed general anesthetic anymore.  post-op nausea and vomiting does occur a little more frequently with dental cases than some other procedures, but steps can be taken to greatly reduce the occurrence to the point where it's not a big problem.  other than that, you'll be a little tired for the rest of the day (which is spent at home), may have a mild sore throat from the intubation (which usually goes away by the end of the day), and some people get a nose bleed later if we passed the endotracheal tube through the nose to keep it out of the way in your mouth (commonly done, but bleeding is rare unless you're prone to that anyway).  in all honestly, you're much more likely to be harmed during your drive to and from the hospital for your surgery than you are as a result of the anesthetic...and how many of you worry about getting in your car in the morning?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »

You people remind me of the cast of Nemo who were stuck in the fish tank.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »

Disarm - could you please space your text a bit..I Get a headache from trying to read that :-)

Other than that - we still need to know if its in the upper or lower jaw the OP's op is going to take place...i.e. will it go smoothly, or will he be suffering like hell ;-)

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 02:50:01 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 29, 2008, 01:39:49 PM

Other than that - we still need to know if its in the upper or lower jaw the OP's op is going to take place...i.e. will it go smoothly, or will he be suffering like hell ;-)

I mentioned a few posts back it's one of the top ones (upper)  Tongue

On the plus side it looks like work is going to be pitching in for half the cost even though I only have health insurance and no dental  thumbsup

Because I can,
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »

Quote from: disarm on July 29, 2008, 01:32:32 PM

when i had all four of my wisdom teeth removed years ago, i chose to have it done by an oral surgeon so that i could be "knocked out" rather than just receive local.  my extraction did involve actually cutting a couple of the teeth out, however, because they had not yet broken the surface.  i wasn't an anesthesiologist at the time so i'm not sure what i was given, but i'm guessing it was a fair amount of benzodiazepine (most likely Versed) and a little nitrous oxide...definitely not a general anesthetic, but enough that i might as well have been completely asleep for the entire procedure.  all four of my extractions were done in about 45 minutes, went home and slept off and on for the rest of the day, changed my gauze a few times, and ate dinner with my family that night.  by the next day, i was eating regular food again (being careful how i chewed) and never used any of the pain meds i was given  (Percocet)...couldn't have gone better in my opinion.

Yeah most likely Versed, as that's the drug of choice for those types of procedures, though it's very often combined with Fentanyl.

Nice to have the anesthesiologist on board!

Quote from: disarm
as for receiving a true general anesthetic (really no such thing as 'general sedation') for dental procedures, it actually does happen quite a bit, but not for 'routine' cases...fairly common for kids or mentally handicapped individuals requiring extensive oral rehab.  i've provided quite a few general anesthetics at the local children's hospital for otherwise healthy kids that needed multiple extractions or significant reconstruction (caps, crowns, etc) at an early age due to poor oral hygeine (aka parents who don't make their kids brush).  i've also done it for quite a few people of all ages that weren't mentally equipped to be awake for their work.

Yeah, it's done for some kids and those with mental issues, but not routinely in the dental world (hence why you were doing it, and not an oral surgeon...), considering most patients aren't kids (and kids usually get oral sedation from their pedodontist for 99% of their cases anyways) and/or those with mental issues (thank god, they're a nightmare to treat).

while any general anesthetic carries a small amount of risk, it is by no means a 'big liability' for us

Remember, there's a difference in anesthesia liability between an oral surgeon and an anesthesiologist.  Dentists/oral surgeons pay very little in medmal premiums compared to anesthesiology.  What's considered big liability for us is likely 100% different than what you consider big liability.  After all, our work revolves around teeth, and a tooth really is just a tooth (though theres also the whole nerve impingement, TMJ, pain issue)...

PM coming regarding something I'm curious about...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:45:21 PM by Eightball » Logged
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 04:00:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2008, 11:58:55 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on July 28, 2008, 05:51:39 PM

don't make me break your car window  Tongue

damn, Pete is full of all kinds of pwnage today! Is it OK if I pretend he's you?

Many people fantasize about another more beautiful or attractive person when engaged in sexual relations, so it comes as no surprise that you might consider the fabulous PeteRock as your fantasy.  Just as long as you don't allow it to become an obsession, as I am unattainable, and a bit out of your league.  Fabulous  I would hate for a lustful fantasy to ruin what otherwise sounds like a healthy alternative lifestyle relationship.   

....so it should be easy in and out with no bottom pain.

I'm going to leave that one alone. 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 10:21:57 PM »

I never thought a thread about getting wisdom teeth pulled could be so HOT!!!

P.S.  Good luck CK!!!  Just be ready for lotso blood  icon_razz
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: