http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 03:59:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George RR Martins Latest Book  (Read 1957 times)
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2004, 02:52:24 PM »

Winter is coming to Westeros, but it has already come to America.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/nextbook.html

Well, the first real good thing to come out of the election is GRRM has decided "Losing myself in the world of Westeros would probably be the best medicine for what ails me just now, I know full well".

At least we got that. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 04:08:01 PM »

All I can think of is that he could have written another page or two of A Feast For Crows in the time it took him to think that up and put it on paper.   :evil:
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 04:18:10 PM »

Come on... it's hard to come up with new ways for Jon Snow to be a badass when you're crying. biggrin

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 04:55:28 PM »

When I saw his page was updated I thought for sure the book was done.  He didn't even say it was almost done .. i'm guessing next summer.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 05:37:38 PM »

Geez.  Another liberal boo-hooing over the election.  Thanks, GRRM.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 05:40:03 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
Geez.  Another liberal boo-hooing over the election.  Thanks, GRRM.

Your compassionate conservatism is overwhelming.  :roll:

s

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 05:45:48 PM »

I never once said I was a "compassionate conservative".  Don't assume what you don't know, ok?  Thanks.

Mike

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 05:47:11 PM »

I never once said I was a "compassionate conservative".  Don't assume what you don't know, ok?  Thanks.

Mike

My apologies... I guess you never claimed to have a sense of humor either. smile

s

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 06:40:44 PM »

In other, happier, fantasy news- the first book of Tad Williams' newest fantasy series "Shadowmarch" is in bookstores.  Williams' "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy has been cited by Martin as one of his inspirations for "Song of Ice and Fire."  

This is a return to more conventional fantasy setting for Williams following Otherland and War of the Flowers.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 07:12:13 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

Mike

My apologies... I guess you never claimed to have a sense of humor either. smile

s

I'm at work.  I can't fully comprehend this thing you call humor.   retard

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 07:15:42 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

Mike

s

I'm at work.  I can't fully comprehend this thing you call humor.   retard

That's fair.  I can relate to that. smile

In other, happier, fantasy news- the first book of Tad Williams' newest fantasy series "Shadowmarch" is in bookstores. Williams' "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy has been cited by Martin as one of his inspirations for "Song of Ice and Fire."

This is a return to more conventional fantasy setting for Williams following Otherland and War of the Flowers.

I'll have to check those out.  Anything to satiate my lust for A Feast for Crows is welcome. Tongue

s

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 03:33:09 AM »

If you like nice long dark gritty fantasy (very complicated fantasy) I highly recommend Steven Erikson's books.  He has 5 of the Malazan book of the Fallen published in Britain but only the first novel, Garden's of the Moon (with a REALLY bad cover) here in the USA.  

These books were not published here because they were deemed far to complicated for us simple Americans ... Anyway, check them out if you get a chance.  Next to GRR Martin Erikson is probably my favorite fantasy writer of the last 20 years.

I gave up on Robert Jordan because his books now revolve around long conversations and descriptions of what the characters are wearing.  zzzzz.  Book 1 - 6 were good though.

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 07:18:55 AM »

I'll second Erikson's books.  You can get the 5 for pretty cheap from canadian amazon, eh?

Fantastic reads.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2004, 03:46:19 PM »

I think Erikson has his fair share of flaws but they are pretty fantastic overall.

The best thing about Erikson' work is that each novel is fairly standalone while fitting into the fabric of an overall greater story.  Each novel has a unique location and set of characters that make it easier to handle the gap between novels without getting lost.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 05:56:11 PM »

Erikson is another great epic series...I could hardly get through the half of the first book.  By the time I finished it I had already ordered books 3 and 4 and started reading book 2 straight away.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 06:30:43 PM »

heh - I'll never forget my reaction to finishing the first Erikson book.  I stared at it with my mouth open for a few seconds, shook my head like I had been in some weird day dream and promptly started reading it again.  I had the same initial reaction as others, it was hard to get through the first half of the book because, quite frankly, this is not typical American fantasy that holds your hand throughout.  This is more Glenn Cook style where you actually have to pay attention LOL!  I mean the book is so deep and complicated..

Book two's ending - OMG I never saw that coming.

Now I have read fantasy for about 25 years and I can't think of a writer I like more (cept ole GRR Martin) than Erikson.

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: