http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 01:58:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gene Wilder-'Willy Wonka' remake was an Insult  (Read 1994 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:10:08 PM »

Yes,Gene Wilder is still alive!! and maybe a little late to the party but the actor who earlier this week turned 80 years old has branded Charlie and the Chocolate Factory an insult to the earlier 1970's film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

The Huffington Post

Gene Wilder made a rare public appearance in New York on Thursday night, and didn't pull any punches when it came to Tim Burton's 2005 remake of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" with Johnny Depp in the role Wilder made famous.

"I think it's an insult," Wilder, 80, said of Burton's film, which was called "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." "It's probably Warner Bros.' insult." Warner Bros. released "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and the film made $474 million around the world.

"It's all about money," Wilder said about the remake in a 2005 interview with The Guardian. "It's just some people sitting around thinking: 'How can we make some more money?' Why else would you remake 'Willy Wonka'? I don't see the point of going back and doing it all over again."

As Wilder said on Thursday during the event at New York's 92Y, he also had a problem with Burton's choices as director.

"Johnny Depp, I think, is a good actor, but I don't care for that director," Wilder said. "He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."

Agree?,Disagree?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »

Agree.

But he didn't need to say it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:19:03 PM »

Agree...sort of.

I thought the remake was just okay. While it was visually interesting, which is usually the case with most of Tim Burton's movies, there wasn't much heart, soul, or whatever you call it, especially in comparison with the original. Johnny Depp's version of Willy Wonka was just a creepy weirdo. I wasn't as overtly offended as Gene Wilder, but I think that it was kind of a needless remake, much like a lot of movie reboot/remakes nowadays.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »

Gene Wilder is still alive?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:47:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2013, 11:40:17 PM

Gene Wilder is still alive?

The wonders of Scientology! icon_razz
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 11:53:25 PM »

Disagree, really liked the movie. I think he did a great job of showing how odd the story was, bringing out the dark side of it.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 01:01:26 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 14, 2013, 11:53:25 PM

Disagree, really liked the movie. I think he did a great job of showing how odd the story was, bringing out the dark side of it.

I'm with you. The remake was more twisted and Depp was right for the role. But I don't have the nostalgia for the original that so many other (younger) members have from their childhood. If you watch the original movie without that emotional connection (as I did for the first time a few years ago) it's not very good at all.

I am a Wilder fan, though, and he was definitely the best thing about the earlier movie.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 05:12:03 AM »

I agree with Wilder about Burton. He was once an amazing director; now he just goes through the motions with his "gothic whimsy" motifs.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 05:30:55 AM »

It is a great story, and the old version just isn't interesting to kids anymore, due to how the times of cinematography has changed. Making a new version this many years later, allows the young generation to experience the story.

My kids loved it so no, Gene Wilder is wrong. (Funnily enough, I read that he died in 2005 last night...wierd)

A new one
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 01:19:37 PM »

I agree with Gene. It was a money grab. The original still holds up amazingly well and kids will still love it if we give them the chance.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »

My kid has seen both versions, but considers the original to be the true version.

Also, I'm not sure how someone could say the original wasn't twisted.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »

I was surprised with myself when I mostly liked the new version.  My problem was that I thought Johnny Depps portrayal of Wonka was terrible and completely unlikeable whereas Wilders is one of my favorite characters. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 15, 2013, 04:32:39 PM

My problem was that I thought Johnny Depps portrayal of Wonka was terrible and completely unlikeable whereas Wilders is one of my favorite characters. 
I am pretty sure that's they wanted, Depp's character wasn't supposed to be likable. It goes into the whole darker side of the original.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »

Remake   thumbsdown

Maybe we can get a remake of Wizard Of Oz with Scarlet Johanson as a runaway New York callgirl.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »

Quote from: Default on June 17, 2013, 10:25:16 PM

Remake   thumbsdown

Maybe we can get a remake of Wizard Of Oz with Scarlet Johanson as a runaway New York callgirl.

I would watch that before I would ever watch the original Wizard of Oz again. Outside of doing the Dark Side of the Moon thing again. Heck maybe they could remake it and use Floyd as the soundtrack!  icon_smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »

Dorothy, a call girl trying to get away from her horrible madame, gets caught in the storm surge from Superstorm Sandy and finds herself in a strange new land. 

featuring:

Scarlet Johansson as Dorothy
Bill Murray as the Scarecrow
Tatum Channing as the Tin Man
Emma Watson as the Cowardly Lioness
Nelsan Ellis as Glindo
Vera Farmiga as The Madame Gulch/ The Wicked Witch of the West
George Takei as The Wizard

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »

Depending on ScarJo's costume, that could work.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »

Quote from: Default on June 17, 2013, 10:25:16 PM

Remake   thumbsdown

This almost already exists.  By Alan Moore, no less.

Lost Girls

And when Wikipedia says "sexually explicit," they ain't kidding.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 15, 2013, 07:52:13 PM

My problem was that I thought Johnny Depps portrayal of Wonka was terrible and completely unlikeable whereas Wilders is one of my favorite characters. 
I am pretty sure that's they wanted, Depp's character wasn't supposed to be likable. It goes into the whole darker side of the original.

Yup, that's pretty much how I saw it.

I like the original and I'm a huge fan of Wilder's films (well...most of Wilder's work), but the remake was truer to the source material.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 18, 2013, 02:38:26 PM

I like the original and I'm a huge fan of Wilder's films (well...most of Wilder's work), but the remake was truer to the source material.

The original movie was exceptionally dark, and Wilder did a fantastic job of making the character likeable while still doing unlikeable things (his distaste for the parents and children was apparent and amusing).  He was an impish man. 

Depp was just annoying.  I never got that from the book.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »

I guess we define dark very differently.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 18, 2013, 03:44:20 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 18, 2013, 02:38:26 PM

The original movie was exceptionally dark, and Wilder did a fantastic job of making the character likeable while still doing unlikeable things (his distaste for the parents and children was apparent and amusing).  He was an impish man. 

Depp was just annoying.  I never got that from the book.

I never felt that the original film was dark(being a musical probably dismissed that feel for me anyway)

but i did feel that the book(at least for its time)was a little twisted,for me its one of Roald Dahl's best(and i grew up reading a lot of his books),even though admittedly,Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is nowhere near his darkest(I may give that title to The Witches or maybe The Magic Finger which always creeped the living hell out of me when i was a kid,how Dahl described the people being turned into Birds,sent shivers down my 8 year old spine)

This is another of those UK/U.S things when i don't know how popular Roald Dahl is over there,i know that you guys know Willy Wonka/Charlie..and probably the other film adaptations(Danny the Champion of thew World,James and the Giant Peach,The Witches,Fantastic Mr Fox)..but Dahl's books themselves?,no idea

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 05:18:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 18, 2013, 03:44:53 PM

about the only dark part I remember from the first film was the tunnel scene.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 18, 2013, 05:18:56 PM

no idea what scene you mean
Spoiler for Hiden:

Tongue

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »

I never felt that the original film was dark(being a musical probably dismissed that feel for me anyway)

For a kid's movie, I thought it was exceptionally dark. Augustus getting stuck in the chocolate tube gave me nightmares for weeks as a kid. The tunnel scene was the kid equivalent of strapping an old lady down and making them watch the Human Centipede. The Oompah-Loompahs were absolutely horrifying, especially as they dragged kids to their unknown fate.

Then there are all the little things you really only pick up as an adult. Like after Veruca gets dumped in the garbage, Wonka trying to remember if it was a day when the incinerators were turned on. Seeing the dark side of human greed take over when the golden tickets are announced. The adults in the movie, aside from Charlie's family and the candy store guy, are all extremely flawed individuals.

I agree with Gene - I hated the remake, hated Johnny Depp's portrayal (one of the few roles of his I didn't like), and thought it was completely unnecessary. However, him saying it just makes him come off as a bitter old man so he'd have been better just keeping his mouth shut.

Fun trivia - I met the guy who played Mike TeeVee a few weeks ago at a pop culture convention. My brother got an autographed golden ticket from him. Super nice guy who had really fond memories of working on the film and working with Gene Wilder. I asked him if he had any negatives from the experience, and he replied, "Eating waaaay too much chocolate."  icon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 18, 2013, 05:41:02 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 18, 2013, 05:18:56 PM

no idea what scene you mean
Spoiler for Hiden:

Tongue

yep.

Because I can,
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »

I don't think it comes off as bitter.  There are times when a remake is just unnecessary and this was one of them.  What was the purpose of it?  Were they remaking a foreign movie that this market might not have seen?  Nope.  Was it an old movie that didn't get much exposure?  Nope?  Was this an already beloved movie with an established name they could cash in on?  Bingo.  It's a money grab.  The remake felt hollow and had no soul.  The Wilder version certainly isn't obscure, so if I want my kids to watch it I won't have a hard time getting my hands on it.  Why would I want them to see a new whiz-bang version?  Do you think  I'm going to introduce my kids to The Wizard of Oz by showing them some remake or am I going to let them watch the Judy Garland version that nailed it?  The Wilder version is a classic and I'm not a huge fan of remaking classics.  And if you're going to do it then it had better be good.  The Burton/Depp version was not. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »

of course without the Wilder version we wouldn't have these:

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »

of course, just to beat someone else to the punch:

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 18, 2013, 05:46:05 PM

For a kid's movie, I thought it was exceptionally dark. Augustus getting stuck in the chocolate tube gave me nightmares for weeks as a kid. The tunnel scene was the kid equivalent of strapping an old lady down and making them watch the Human Centipede. The Oompah-Loompahs were absolutely horrifying, especially as they dragged kids to their unknown fate.

Then there are all the little things you really only pick up as an adult. Like after Veruca gets dumped in the garbage, Wonka trying to remember if it was a day when the incinerators were turned on. Seeing the dark side of human greed take over when the golden tickets are announced. The adults in the movie, aside from Charlie's family and the candy store guy, are all extremely flawed individuals.

I agree with Gene - I hated the remake, hated Johnny Depp's portrayal (one of the few roles of his I didn't like), and thought it was completely unnecessary. However, him saying it just makes him come off as a bitter old man so he'd have been better just keeping his mouth shut.

Fun trivia - I met the guy who played Mike TeeVee a few weeks ago at a pop culture convention. My brother got an autographed golden ticket from him. Super nice guy who had really fond memories of working on the film and working with Gene Wilder. I asked him if he had any negatives from the experience, and he replied, "Eating waaaay too much chocolate."  icon_biggrin

Oompa Loompas??...but they sang!!

WHAT DO YOU GET
WHEN YOU
GUZZLE DOWN SWEETS,
EATING AS MUCH AS
AN ELEPHANT EATS?!!

PS:- that's very cool about meeting Mike Teevee

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 06:13:49 PM »

for CK  Tongue icon_wink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 06:14:23 PM »

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 06:14:41 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 18, 2013, 06:01:34 PM

I don't think it comes off as bitter.  There are times when a remake is just unnecessary and this was one of them.  What was the purpose of it?  Were they remaking a foreign movie that this market might not have seen?  Nope.  Was it an old movie that didn't get much exposure?  Nope?  Was this an already beloved movie with an established name they could cash in on?  Bingo.  It's a money grab.  The remake felt hollow and had no soul.  The Wilder version certainly isn't obscure, so if I want my kids to watch it I won't have a hard time getting my hands on it.  Why would I want them to see a new whiz-bang version?  Do you think  I'm going to introduce my kids to The Wizard of Oz by showing them some remake or am I going to let them watch the Judy Garland version that nailed it?  The Wilder version is a classic and I'm not a huge fan of remaking classics.  And if you're going to do it then it had better be good.  The Burton/Depp version was not. 

Completely agree.  While the new version technically was a bit closer to the book in spots (which I loved, huge Roald Dahl fan) it didn't feel like it captured the spirit of the book.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »

the re-make definitely hit it out of the park for the Oompas.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 18, 2013, 06:25:32 PM

the re-make definitely hit it out of the park for the Oompas.

see for me if they are going to use Computer Wizardry to 'cheat' and get a load of Oompa Loompas,they should at least use an actor for the Oompa Loompa that i like,that guy just came off as a little annoying arrogant stuck up shit

so

while we're slagging off Burton/Depp

Alice in Wonderland-good or bad? Tongue

while searching for the above image,i found this,that made me laugh
Spoiler for Hiden:
icon_lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »

LOL

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »

I want to dislike Burton and proclaim his days as a (good) filmmaker are behind him, but the truth is I really do like his movies.  Alice in Wonderland I caught on netflix late one night.  I fully intended to give it about 20 minutes of my time as I was hoping it would put me to sleep.  But I ended up enjoying it far more than I ever expected. 

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »

I hated Alice in Wonderland as well.

If you asked me if I love Tim Burton, though, it would be an unequivocal YES! I think he just needs to stop working with Johnny Depp. That ship has sailed, Mr. Burton. That ship has sailed.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »

I think his work with Depp is some of his best.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »

He needs to find or create source material equal to his talents. He should step out of his comfort zone, perhaps make a romantic comedy, or buddy cop film.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: