http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:34:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Game of Thrones - Season 4 is coming (please mark spoilers)  (Read 46412 times)
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: June 17, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »

Not enjoying the Bran storyline at all, and hoping it doesn't continue much further. It's too weird.

Spoiler for Hiden:
they left too much open....is The Hound really dead? Is Daddy Lannister? The Mountain seems to be the only one they made somewhat clear will still be around after transfusion.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #841 on: June 17, 2014, 07:35:22 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 17, 2014, 05:38:56 PM

Not enjoying the Bran storyline at all, and hoping it doesn't continue much further. It's too weird.

This is a fantasy story. Expect that aspect of it to only grow in importance as the show moves on. This season should have made it clear that we're mostly done with the major intrigue in King's Landing, with almost nobody of importance remaining there.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: June 17, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
they left too much open....is The Hound really dead? Is Daddy Lannister? The Mountain seems to be the only one they made somewhat clear will still be around after transfusion.
Regarding what's in the spoiler tags, I think all of that is intentional to hook people into the start of the next season.  Typical season finale cliffhanger stuff.

It's interesting the reactions the Bran scenes are getting from some viewers.  I'm not sure what specifically about those scenes pushed viewers too far.  We've seen what appear to be standard fare zombies, super natural snow dudes with blue eyes that are unkillable without special weapons, giants, mf'ng dragons, knights being rezzed and brought back to life multiple times, & dark sorcerery resulting in a disturbing shadow assassin birth scene.  All that didn't tip viewers too far.  But the Bran scenes did.   
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #843 on: June 17, 2014, 08:59:14 PM »

While the Hound's current status is clearly supposed to be a mystery, Tywin's is not. When Varys was about to return to the Red Keep and heard the bells, he knew at once what they meant: The death of a Hand. That's why he turned back. He didn't fully realize the ramifications of what Tyrion had done until that point. The bells pretty much just ring when the King dies, when the Hand dies, or when there's a funeral or wedding. Either someone had killed Tommen, or someone killed Tywin.

Varys talked briefly about this back in season 2.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 17, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 17, 2014, 08:29:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Regarding what's in the spoiler tags, I think all of that is intentional to hook people into the start of the next season.  Typical season finale cliffhanger stuff.

It's interesting the reactions the Bran scenes are getting from some viewers.  I'm not sure what specifically about those scenes pushed viewers too far.  We've seen what appear to be standard fare zombies, super natural snow dudes with blue eyes that are unkillable without special weapons, giants, mf'ng dragons, knights being rezzed and brought back to life multiple times, & dark sorcerery resulting in a disturbing shadow assassin birth scene.  All that didn't tip viewers too far.  But the Bran scenes did.    

I think it's just too much. To me, the show was about more "realistic" things than fantasy. I've already bought in to the other fantasy aspects mentioned, but only as a side-note to the main stories.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The above probably makes no sense, but zombie-skeletons and little kids throwing fireballs is way out there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:38:17 AM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: June 18, 2014, 12:38:46 AM »

I think the view that the skeletons and fireballs are too much is a bit odd as well.  We had the mages, we had a long talk about how magic might come back with the dragons, the whole mage tower thingy with dany.  Anyone who didn't think this was high fantasy with magic and dragons was fooling themselves just because it wasn't shown all the time.  It was quite obvious from the first few episodes that it was moving to more and more of the supernatural and fantasy.

It just seems like such an odd disconnect that it took 4 seasons of fire breathing dragons, illusionists, shape changers, killer shadows, zombies, giant wolves, giants, people not dying from being cleaved in two,etc. The list is HUGE, and people who don't like fantasy probably should have stopped watching by the end of season 2 at the latest.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 18, 2014, 02:03:36 AM »

It's moved too far to the magic side now, is what i'm trying to say. What's next, Harry Potter (or like Cartman once said: "Harry Pussy-Potter") appears? I want swords and deep intrigue, with an occasional dragon or giant thrown in. Even the dire wolves are half-believable since beasties tended to be larger the further back in time you go.

And what's kinda odd to me is why some people are upset that other people feel this way  icon_confused

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:06:15 AM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 18, 2014, 02:18:01 AM »

I've read the books but am far behind on the show.  Can someone spoiler me what Bran events people are talking about?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 18, 2014, 02:36:32 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 18, 2014, 02:18:01 AM

I've read the books but am far behind on the show.  Can someone spoiler me what Bran events people are talking about?

Spoiler for Hiden:
zombie skeletons attack, while little Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome kid throws fierballs at them

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 18, 2014, 02:46:06 AM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 18, 2014, 02:36:32 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
zombie skeletons attack, while little Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome kid throws fierballs at them

It's a bit more than that:
Spoiler for Hiden:
They are saved by one of the Children of the Forest who leads them to 'three eyed crow'.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: June 18, 2014, 02:53:42 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 18, 2014, 02:46:06 AM

Quote from: Zekester on June 18, 2014, 02:36:32 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

It's a bit more than that:
Spoiler for Hiden:
They are saved by one of the Children of the Forest who leads them to 'three eyed crow'.

Spoiler for Hiden:
you mean "Bald Santa", as one at imdb called him?  icon_razz

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: June 18, 2014, 05:50:50 AM »

Yup, exactly. Him.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: June 18, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »

FWIW, even from the very beginning of the show they talked about magic and monsters being gone from most of the world but still present beyond the wall. That's one of the reasons there's a wall in the first place! Outside of the wall, with just a few instances, there hasn't really been much magic/fantasy (the notable exceptions being the dragons, Melissandre, and the warlock). And notice that all three of those things either come from or take place in the continent across the sea from Westeros.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: June 18, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »

I was turned onto this book series by you all, at Gone Gold, and then here and at OO.  I am grateful that I was turned onto this series as it has become my favorite book series of all time and now one of my favorite TV shows of all time.  I hadn't even ready fantasy before reading this...

The idea of not liking it due to magic is too much for me as Dragons have been present for a while now.  The story is fantastic, regardless of the dragons/magic/too much nudity (the only thing I dislike about the show)...  Martin exceeded Tolkien with this series and the hbo version has been pretty amazingly done so far in my opinion, it way exceeded what I would have anticipated after reading such an intricate series of books. There are critiques to be made, but the presence of magic/supernatural are not one of them.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 18, 2014, 11:42:27 PM »

The show has steadily progressed to more magic, and i'm saying, along with many others apparently, that I don't like it.

They haven't even fleshed-out (lol) the whitewalker stuff and now theyre introducing a gay little kid throwing fireballs at Harryhausen-era skeletons.

Give me all the twists and turns of human nature along with swords, battleaxes, crossbows, nudity, sex, and an occasional giant, dragon, and dire wolf.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: June 19, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »

I think the books do a better job of preparing the reader for encounters with the supernatural than the show has.  In the book, the first interactions Jon has with the veterans of the Night's Watch are about that very subject: supernatural stuff beyond the wall.  The whole "Winter is coming" can be translated to "Your bedtime horror stories about freaky magic sh*t beyond the wall are about to come true".  The denial and rejection of that message/warning is kind of thematic...maybe for some of the viewers of the show too.    

I just don't think the show has enough time to devote to giving all the clues and reveals from the books, although they do a really good job of showing the main points.  I also think that some % of the millions of viewers are watching solely for the drama of the relationship and political soap opera of the show, and have been looking past some of the previous fantasy elements.  Seeing what looks like a little elf hurling fireballs, and skeletons popping out of the ground, and then some kind of tree root magician was probably too much for them to look past.  Bran's arc is almost 100% fantasy now, so that % of viewers can't ignore it anymore.  It's right in their face.  I'm not sure how many of those viewers understood what the book series was all about before they got hooked on the show.    

Personally, I really like the Bran arc because it is delving head first into the supernatural.  I've felt like the other character story arcs on the show have been tap dancing around it carefully, but never committing.    

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:03:30 PM by Roguetad » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: June 19, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »

Have you guys forgotten that the very first scene in this show, the first 7+ minutes of Game of Thrones ever shown on TV, was entirely about a White Walker attack? GoT has made it abundantly clear from the absolute beginning that there's an undead threat north of the Wall. It's not like the show slowly moved into this territory. It established this theme right away, and only then did it move into the politics. Even that took a couple of episodes to get going. Some of you might even recall the discussions among book readers at the time had them worried that the opening would scare away potential viewers who would enjoy the politics.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 19, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »

Clearly everyone has their own perspective on both the books and the show.  For me, Bran was one of my favorite characters from day one of the book, and it drove me crazy in the books how slow his progression was in terms of the magic//mystical side.  It seemed to me very clearly he was being set up as one of the few primary lead characters to have an affinity to magic, but GRRM seemed reluctant to take it too far.  I'm glad the TV show is actually advancing and imagining the magical elements much more vividly than what's in the books.  I don't think it has to take anything away from all the other intrigue and non-fantasy elements, to me they coincide wonderfully. 

I had one co-worker a while back who would re-read the books again and again - but only the points of view that he liked (Jon and Tyrion and Arya).  So I can see for people like that, you can almost completely excise the fantasy elements out.  But as others have said, they are all clearly a part of the series.

Side note:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was disappointed about the lack of zombie Caitlyn, but maybe she was too busy trying to kill Jack Bauer to make a cameo for this season lol.  If they completely dump the character I think a lot of fans are going to be bummed.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 19, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 19, 2014, 06:37:05 PM

Have you guys forgotten that the very first scene in this show, the first 7+ minutes of Game of Thrones ever shown on TV, was entirely about a White Walker attack? GoT has made it abundantly clear from the absolute beginning that there's an undead threat north of the Wall. It's not like the show slowly moved into this territory. It established this theme right away, and only then did it move into the politics. Even that took a couple of episodes to get going. Some of you might even recall the discussions among book readers at the time had them worried that the opening would scare away potential viewers who would enjoy the politics.

The North remembers.

(and I do too!)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 20, 2014, 12:25:15 AM »

You're right, I forgot that the show opens with a white walker invasion, shown in more detail than the book.  Also, we got to see the worg reveal pretty early too.  Being able to possess animals is definitely well beyond typical medieval themed stories.  The rebirth of Daenerys as the dragon mother, stepping out of the flames unscathed with her hatched baby dragons was also a big indication of where things were headed.  She survived being engulfed in flames without burning.   
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 20, 2014, 01:00:03 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 20, 2014, 12:25:15 AM

She survived being engulfed in flames without burning.   

And is even hotter because of it?

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 25, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2ri8RhSnw

Season 5 new cast
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 05, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »

Finally! 

George R.R. Martin To Republish 'Game Of Thrones' Children's Book

If there’s one thing we’ve all thought as we watched a brutal swordfight or X-rated act of incest on HBO's drama “Game of Thrones,” it’s definitely “I wish I had an age-appropriate way to share this story with my young kid/niece/nephew/godchild.” Now, finally, winter is coming for the kids as well. This fall, Tor is rereleasing George R.R. Martin’s 1980 children’s story The Ice Dragon, which is set in the same A Song of Ice and Fire world as "Game of Thrones."

The Ice Dragon was originally published as part of a 1980 anthology, Dragons of Light. In 2007, the story was released as a book, but it is no longer in print -- meaning for several years now, children have had no way to experience "Game of Thrones" mania for themselves, short of scouring used book stores and eBay for a used copy. The new edition, re-imagined with delicate, dreamy illustrations by Spanish artist Luis Royo, hits bookstores Oct. 21.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: