http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:18:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Game of Thrones - Season 4 is coming (please mark spoilers)  (Read 47796 times)
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 15, 2014, 01:22:50 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 14, 2014, 01:42:05 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on April 14, 2014, 01:05:05 PM

About time.

thumbsup thumbsup

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 15, 2014, 01:22:21 PM »

Been wondering about this for awhile now.

Spoiler for the above topic:
I've been wondering what it is like for an actor to play a hated character so well that everyone not only wants them dead but celebrate at their character's demise?  icon_biggrin  Any interviews with him along those lines?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #802 on: April 15, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »

Jack Gleeson is very media shy, but he says he enjoys playing Joffrey, and that people he meet are nice to him. I don't think he's had much trouble with people confusing him for his role.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 15, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »

Wasn't thinking there would be any confusion... just more of an interest in the relationship between the actor and the role when playing someone like this character. Found this interesting and spoiler filled interview on the very subject.  icon_cool

And it seems he is retiring from acting.

-craig

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 15, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »

He's great at making you hate him, but in every interview or article I've read featuring the actor, he always comes across as just a really nice kid.  Even his reasons for quitting acting (to become an academic) are down to earth and sensible.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 15, 2014, 02:30:46 PM »

He did sum things up quite succinctly at the end of the interview.  icon_wink

-craig

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 15, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »

The actress who plays Cersei (Lena Headey) does an amazing job.  She's so unlikable.  Book spoiler about Cersei:
Spoiler for Hiden:
It will be interesting to see how she's portrayed when the show gets into the book 4 content told from her point of view.

Jack Gleason deserves a standing ovation for his work as Joffrey.  I hated him in the books, but wow, Gleason really brought him to life.

Another books 3-5 spoiler:  
Spoiler for Hiden:
The timeline is starting to get screwy.  The stuff happening on the show in the North with Bolten and Theon are from book 5 right?  But the events happening South at King's Landing are from book 3?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #807 on: April 15, 2014, 06:22:27 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on April 15, 2014, 05:50:57 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
The timeline is starting to get screwy.  The stuff happening on the show in the North with Bolten and Theon are from book 5 right?  But the events happening South at King's Landing are from book 3?

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's not screwy at all. Expect Ramsay and Roose to reach Winterfell by the end of this season (or maybe the beginning of the next one). Season 5 is likely going to cover the events of both book 4 and 5 for all the primary characters, so the two stories you mention will get synchronized again by that time. Not that they are connected at all in the books, so it's hard to tell when one happened in relation to another. Remember, the show tells the story chronologically, but the books jump wildly and seemingly randomly back and forth in time.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 28, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »

Apparently last night's ep moved away from the books somewhat, particularly Bran's storyline.  After watching it, I was frantically looking in book 3 for the stuff that happened until I checked online to learn it wasn't in there lol.

I guess they also answered my question about Joffrey a bit more explicitly which was cool, as was the stuff with the baby. 

I really liked Brienne's scene with Jamie, so much of the unspoken feelings conveyed was really well done by the actors IMHO.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 02, 2014, 05:05:30 AM »

Oh man, that ending had me laughing to the point of tears out of surprise/shock. I know anything can happen in this show, and I was kind of expecting it, just not quite like that.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: June 02, 2014, 02:47:06 PM »

eek eek eek eek eek eek eek eek
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #811 on: June 02, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »

Even from those that read the books and knew what was coming, I've heard it's got to be the most gruesome scene to watch and hear.  I didn't, but it makes me squirm thinking about it.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 02, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 02, 2014, 06:07:41 PM

Even from those that read the books and knew what was coming, I've heard it's got to be the most gruesome scene to watch and hear.  I didn't, but it makes me squirm thinking about it.

It's the worst!!!!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: June 02, 2014, 06:43:33 PM »

It was one of those scenes that I read and then had to go do something else for a while afterwards. 

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 02, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »

I knew what was coming and that was just gross.  I normally watch episodes twice, once on my own on Sunday, and once with my wife a couple of days later.  I'll be using my ipad during
Spoiler for Hiden:
that part of the fight
when my wife is watching.  She's sensitive to that kind of stuff so I already feel sorry for her.  I had to settle my mind for about an hour before going to bed last night.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 03, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »

It's such an odd experience for me watching this show.  The last few episodes when something big happens, I'm like "that wasn't what happened in the books!" - and then I go dig out the book and see that it's almost word for word how it was written, both dialog and description.  So cool!

The one thing I do remember vividly is that this was my favorite book of the series, and I was completely obsessed with it at the time - now I'm starting to recall why.  I had actually spent extra money to get the book directly from the UK because it came out a few months earlier than the US release. 

The sad thing is I think the series kind of goes downhill from here, or I should say the next few books feel like a lot more filler, YMMV.  I still have hopes for a grand and satisfying conclusion, I just hope I live long enough to read/see it.   
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 03, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »

The show doesn't have room for filler.  And they've been given the green light to sail past the books in the event that Martin slows down or dies.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 03, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »

Even worse than the extreme gore of that scene was the reaction scream from his lover. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #818 on: June 04, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 03, 2014, 05:04:00 PM

The show doesn't have room for filler.  And they've been given the green light to sail past the books in the event that Martin slows down or dies.
If this plan isn't already in place, they're going to have a lot of work to do.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 04, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »

it's already been worked out.  GRRM gave them a brief outline of what happens to who and how and they also have the authority to make up an ending.  It's entirely likely the show will finish before he does and the books will either be written to reflect the show's ending or be different altogether.  Already they are diverging enough that I will likely not finish the books.  Loved the first one, liked the second, then the books become a bit drawn out and tedious so I never even finished the fourth.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »

I believe they covered that on South Park.  The future of the series depends a lot on penises.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: June 04, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 04, 2014, 07:28:01 PM

I believe they covered that on South Park.  The future of the series depends a lot on penises.

One wiener next to another wiener

two wieners alongside yet another wiener

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 05, 2014, 01:22:06 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 04, 2014, 07:13:16 PM

it's already been worked out.  GRRM gave them a brief outline of what happens to who and how and they also have the authority to make up an ending.  It's entirely likely the show will finish before he does and the books will either be written to reflect the show's ending or be different altogether.  Already they are diverging enough that I will likely not finish the books.  Loved the first one, liked the second, then the books become a bit drawn out and tedious so I never even finished the fourth.
That's pretty cool that HBO has the liberty to build off his outline. 

I really enjoyed books 1&2, and thought book 3 was awesome.  And then the train went of the tracks with book 4.  I'm fine with the show playing out the rest of the story.  HBO has done a nice job with the series. 
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 09, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »

haven't seen last nights ep (is there even one?) but what was the point of Tyrions beetle story? Was the Mountain the simpleton?

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 09, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 09, 2014, 04:01:50 PM

haven't seen last nights ep (is there even one?) but what was the point of Tyrions beetle story? Was the Mountain the simpleton?

No they said he (simpleton cousin) died from a donkey kick to the chest.

There was an episode last night and now there's only the season finale left!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: June 09, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »

I think it was partially a reflection on the idea that the world can be a pretty ugly place and sometimes there is no rational explanation for it.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 10, 2014, 03:36:20 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 09, 2014, 04:59:06 PM

I think it was partially a reflection on the idea that the world can be a pretty ugly place and sometimes there is no rational explanation for it.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 10, 2014, 03:39:44 AM »

Hah!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 10, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 11, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on June 10, 2014, 03:16:56 PM

So true.  And thumbs up for the Princess Bride reference thumbsup

That part got to me both in the book and the show.  
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »

Signed up for HBO last week, watched up to the finale and will unsub next week.... Gonna need to figure out what to do next year when I dont have a pay TV provider...
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 15, 2014, 01:50:26 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on April 15, 2014, 05:50:57 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

yes

Going to be an exciting fathers day in westeros... looking forward to the finale!

hark... love that khuu khuu khuu drawing!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 01:55:31 AM by notrich » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 16, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »

Season Finale went by so damned fast.  It was over before I knew it.

So many great storylines.  I freaking love Arya Stark!!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 16, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

I don't want to wait another year ;_;
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 16, 2014, 05:23:46 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 16, 2014, 02:37:19 PM

I don't want to wait another year ;_;

THIS!  I said the same thing, even though it was a longer episode and it was filled with great scenes/events.  But man, the wait is going to be torture.  Of course GRRM is all about torturing people and making them wait inordinate amounts of time for gratification.

P.S.  If any of you more hardcore fans can, please spoiler post which things from last night were actually in the books.  There were some big things I did not remember, or thought might have been in Book 5.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 16, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »

Some of the big differences
Spoiler for Hiden:
Coldhands completely removed from show.  Brienne does not fight the Hound. Varys does not leave with Tyrion.  Jojen doesn't die outside.   In the show Tyrion doesn't find out what actually happened with his first wife Tysha and the infamous "wherever whores go" line was cut.  Also no Lady Stoneheart but they may hold that for the season opener, though I'm thinking she's going to suffer the same fate as Coldhands.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:58:15 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 17, 2014, 12:43:14 AM »

Well done HBO.  That was a great season finale.  I like seeing the Starks slowly moving back into positions of influence and power.  They surely seemed down and out after season 1.  I'm really liking Arya too.  Loved seeing her just walk away.  A lesser person would have fallen for the bait and ended the Hound. 

It's going to be a long wait.  Maybe I'll actually try and read book 5.
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 17, 2014, 01:12:23 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 16, 2014, 06:55:39 PM

Some of the big differences
Spoiler for Hiden:
Coldhands completely removed from show.  Brienne does not fight the Hound. Varys does not leave with Tyrion.  Jojen doesn't die outside.   In the show Tyrion doesn't find out what actually happened with his first wife Tysha and the infamous "wherever whores go" line was cut.  Also no Lady Stoneheart but they may hold that for the season opener, though I'm thinking she's going to suffer the same fate as Coldhands.
totally understand they need to make adjustments... but the tyrion spoiler conversation that forge mentions is kinda a big deal.  And by kinda, I mean character changing.  (also if they are planning to make that reveal at a later date it can ONLY be less impactful).  Hell... iirc that conversation is the reason tyrion climbs the ladder in the first place!

The brienne/hound fight was cool, but a disappointment.  I like how the dynamic half-witted duo can't seem to find a girl (or the hound) and apparently they aimlessly wander away while arya circles back and picks up a horse?   Roll Eyes

happy there is a show... happy that they are doing a decent job, but if they are fans of the book - messing with some of the best dialogue in the books is a bad way to represent it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:20:38 AM by notrich » Logged
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 17, 2014, 02:12:14 AM »

Did they say where the ship from King's Landing was heading?

-craig

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #839 on: June 17, 2014, 04:41:42 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 17, 2014, 02:12:14 AM

Did they say where the ship from King's Landing was heading?

No. Tyrion doesn't know either.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: