http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 10:55:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Game of Thrones - Season 4 is coming (please mark spoilers)  (Read 42639 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 01, 2013, 12:01:18 AM »

a Game of F--ks

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: April 02, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »

That didn't take long. Game of Thrones is renewed for a 4th season.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 02, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 02, 2013, 06:35:35 PM

this part made me LOL:

There was some less paperwork this year, so we did not have to wait a couple of weeks for the news.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 02, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »

HBO seems to understand that you have to sink some cash into a show if it's doing well.  Now, if the execs over at AMC would just get this through their heads and stop penny pinching The Walking Dead....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 02, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »

HBO does the same thing at times.  Maybe we can just *hear* the Battle on The Fist...  Special effects cost money. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 02, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »

The giant alone in the season premiere was extremely well done in my opinion, and must have cost a pretty penny.  But I don't think they're having even close to the same battles over cash that TWD was having between seasons 1 and 2 that were reported all over the place.  That seemed pretty acrimonious....and odd for a show that was bringing them in a whole hell of a lot of cash.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »

Agreed.  AMC appears to be much more penny-pinching than HBO, but that doesn't mean that GoT has a blank check.  Especially when, if HBO has a hit, they don't get to jack advertising rates up.  They have to rely on merch sales or renegotiated subscriber rates.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: April 02, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »

There was a respectable budget increase for GoT in season 2 compared to season 1, almost exclusively in order to do the Battle of the Blackwater justice. The third season supposedly has roughly the same budget as season 2, but spread over all 10 episodes instead of focused on one of them. The show's creators say they're looking for a budget increase for season 4 since they want to do a battle there that is bigger than the one in season 2. Those of you who've read the books will know what I'm talking about. smile
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 03, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 02, 2013, 07:45:00 PM

Agreed.  AMC appears to be much more penny-pinching than HBO, but that doesn't mean that GoT has a blank check.  Especially when, if HBO has a hit, they don't get to jack advertising rates up.  They have to rely on merch sales or renegotiated subscriber rates.

The penny pinching hasn't hurt Walking Dead's success. Its the most watched cable show on now.

HBO's subscriber fees are serious money, and the first 2 seasons disc sales of the series are the best HBO's ever had. Funny considering its also the most pirated show too.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 03, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »

No one's saying Walking Dead is a bad show.  Quite the contrary.  But that's just a sign of how well written and acted it can be.  However, the budget struggles have been well documented in the past.  It's also cited as one of the reasons Darabont, arguably the mastermind of the show, left.  I can't help but wonder how much better the last two seasons would've been had Darabont stayed on board.  Again, I'm not saying it's been horrible...but unless you unrealistically believe in perfection, there's always room for improvement.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »

finally got to watch 3.1 last night and damn, time flew by while watching it.  it seemed like it had only just begun when the end credits started rolling.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 03, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »

I've never read the books (I've started them a few times though...I just don't like any books without pictures or a "find the hidden..." component to them) but I will say that Dinklage is still the man...and if I don't see him wreak holy hell on daddy and the crew this season, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 04, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »

It's remarkable to me how true the show writers try and stay to the books.  They have made some changes, but they seem to be for the sake of pacing and entertainment, which is good.  I think we will be in for a wild ride this season if even half of the events from book 3 are covered.  I can't wait to see them portrayed on the show.        

Edited to add:  Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lanister) and Charles Dance (Tywin Lanister) are awesome in their roles.  The scene in the Office of the Hand during the Season 3 premiere was really good.  Every scene those actors are in is better because of their performances and presence on screen.  They're both perfectly realized characters, exactly how I imagined them from the books.   

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:24:28 PM by Roguetad » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: April 04, 2013, 04:30:28 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on April 04, 2013, 04:11:46 PM

They're both perfectly realized characters, exactly how I imagined them from the books.

You can't have been reading very thoroughly then. slywink Particularly Peter Dinklage is very different physically from Tyrion Lannister as described in the books. The book version is ugly, misshaped, and cramps up whenever he has to do anything physical (like walk down a set of stairs). Dinklage on the other hand is a rather attractive, normal man, only different because of his height. He owns the role from an acting point of view though.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 04, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 04, 2013, 04:30:28 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on April 04, 2013, 04:11:46 PM

They're both perfectly realized characters, exactly how I imagined them from the books.

You can't have been reading very thoroughly then. slywink Particularly Peter Dinklage is very different physically from Tyrion Lannister as described in the books. The book version is ugly, misshaped, and cramps up whenever he has to do anything physical (like walk down a set of stairs). Dinklage on the other hand is a rather attractive, normal man, only different because of his height. He owns the role from an acting point of view though.
Yes Tongue  But I'm not getting hung up on the superficial differences.  Their characters are about as true as they can be in the adaptation to TV.  Tyrion wouldn't even have a nose after the battle of the blackwater, and as you said, his already ugly visage became even worse with the mauling he received.  I can live with that difference.  It's the personalities that are captured so well. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 15, 2013, 02:33:45 PM »

GREAT episode last night.  I swear they're like 5 minutes long!!!
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 22, 2013, 04:47:06 PM »

Just watched S3 E4 and all I gotta say is gogo Daenerys...
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 23, 2013, 01:17:57 AM »

This episode is what makes Games of Thrones a must watch. Simply nothing like it elsewhere in TV.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 28, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »

I was debating holding off until the end of the season to watch the rest of the episodes, but I just saw a brief description of tonight's episode that leads me to believe I'll be watching the last 3 episodes this afternoon to get ready.

here are brief descriptions of the next 4 episodes.  as I say they are brief, but if you read the books they may be very spoilerific.  I'm, not kidding, I was kind of surprised.  It's been over a decade since I read Storm of Swords so I'm definitely misremembering some stuff but from these descriptions it seems like they are moving much quicker than I expected they would if season 3 was only supposed to be half of the book.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Tonight:
Episode #25: “Kissed by Fire”
The Hound (Rory McCann) is judged by the gods; Jaime is judged by men. Jon proves himself; Robb (Richard Madden) is betrayed. Tyrion learns the cost of weddings. Written for television by Bryan Cogman; directed by Alex Graves.

Next Sunday:
Episode #26: “The Climb”
Tywin (Charles Dance) plans strategic unions for the Lannisters. Melisandre (Carice van Houten) visits the Riverlands. Robb (Richard Madden) weighs a compromise to repair his alliance with House Frey. Roose Bolton (Michael McElhatton) decides what to do with Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau). Jon (Kit Harington), Ygritte (Rose Leslie) and the Wildlings face a daunting climb. Written for television by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Alik Sakharov.

May 12:
Episode #27: “The Bear and the Maiden Fair”
Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) exchanges gifts with a slave lord outside Yunkai. As Sansa (Sophie Turner) frets about her prospects, Shae (Sibel Kekilli) chafes at Tyrion’s (Peter Dinklage) new situation. Tywin counsels the king, and Melisandre reveals a secret to Gendry (Joe Dempsie). Brienne (Gwendoline Christie) faces a formidable foe in Harrenhal. Written for television by George R. R. Martin; directed by Michelle MacLaren.

May 19:
Episode #28: “Second Sons”
King’s Landing hosts a wedding, and Tyrion and Sansa spend the night together. Daenerys meets the Titan’s Bastard. Davos (Liam Cunningham) demands proof from Melisandre. Sam (John Bradley) and Gilly (Hannah Murray) meet an older gentleman. Written for television by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Michelle MacLaren.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: April 29, 2013, 01:16:39 AM »

He's definitely adding plot elements, letting certain actors and plots be used more, which is a good thing.

EDIT: Well, this episode was both a lot of great political action and character moments, and really setting up some nasty stuff later. It's actually nice to see things playing out both the same, and different enough from the books to keep it interesting.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:46:20 AM by Turtle » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: April 29, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »

This season is excellent and makes up for the lame that was S2
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #661 on: May 01, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

Pulled the trigger and bought all of the books at once.  This show is fantastic!   I do have to agree - the episodes feel like they fly by so fast. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 02, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 01, 2013, 03:35:36 PM

Pulled the trigger and bought all of the books at once.  This show is fantastic!   I do have to agree - the episodes feel like they fly by so fast. 

ps. It's not all of the books. Hopefully someday such a thing will exist.  icon_razz

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 02, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 29, 2013, 02:35:50 PM

This season is excellent and makes up for the lame that was S2

Say what?   retard

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 02, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »

A quick recap of the first two episodes this season.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: May 13, 2013, 06:14:11 AM »

So yeah.

Jaime is quickly turning from one of the most hated characters into someone you root for.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 18, 2013, 08:24:37 PM »

One of the producers talks about the series ending.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 19, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2013, 06:14:11 AM

So yeah.

Jaime is quickly turning from one of the most hated characters into someone you root for.

Had this discussion at work and  I said "Yea but i can't stop picturing him F'ing his sister and then shoving some kid out a 3 story window"

morlac00 on PSN
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #668 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »

Quote from: morlac on May 19, 2013, 03:10:19 PM

Quote from: Turtle on May 13, 2013, 06:14:11 AM

So yeah.

Had this discussion at work and  I said "Yea but i can't stop picturing him F'ing his sister and then shoving some kid out a 3 story window"

About pushing Bran Stark, imagine what would have happened if he hadn't. Robert Baratheon would have had Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella killed, and then he would have waged war on the Lannister family, maybe killing all of them. Jaime pushed Bran to save those who would otherwise have been killed. Of course, the incest is the whole reason why that had to happen, but that wasn't an evil act in itself. Morally wrong, sure, but not evil.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 19, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »

question if y'all don't mind. I have the books but have not read them as of yet.

question: where were the white walkers marching to at the end of last season? I assumed to the wall and then further South?

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #670 on: May 19, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »

Quote from: Roman on May 19, 2013, 06:14:58 PM

question if y'all don't mind. I have the books but have not read them as of yet.

question: where were the white walkers marching to at the end of last season? I assumed to the wall and then further South?

The Fist of the First Men, where the Night's Watch had set up their camp. This is where the Wildlings find the dead horses.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 22, 2013, 12:54:59 AM »

Because I can,
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 03, 2013, 05:43:08 AM »

Tonight's episode: holy shit! Holy SHIT!! HOLY SHIT!!!!!

And it wasn't even the finale!  eek
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 03, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on June 03, 2013, 05:43:08 AM

Are you one of the unsullied?  No spoilers and have not read the books?  I kinda wish I did not have pre knowledge of events.

Read a comment tonight that cracked me up, they called Jorah  "Sir Jorah of House Friendzone"
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 03, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »

Now people know what the book fans mean by the term "The Red Wedding". smile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: June 03, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »

More strange things happen with the Stark family after this but only check the spoiler if you've read the books past this point...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I found it unsettling that this is not the last we see of Catelyn Stark... a.k.a. Lady Stoneheart.  icon_eek

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »

just wait  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 03, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on June 03, 2013, 08:29:23 AM

Are you one of the unsullied?  No spoilers and have not read the books?  I kinda wish I did not have pre knowledge of events.

Read a comment tonight that cracked me up, they called Jorah  "Sir Jorah of House Friendzone"

Obviously I have not read any of the books, which is a conscious decision I made back when season 1 ended. I figured I would get the full head exploding experience by not knowing anything that might be coming. Glad I decided to hold off on the books. From what I have heard from those who have read all the books, even crazier stuff happens later on. Bring it on, I say!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #678 on: June 03, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if the show's ratings drop or increase (or don't move at all) next week. It's tempting to say that there will be a drop, but I suspect it'll be quite the opposite. smile There's a lot of upset people out there right now, but once they get a few days distance from the episode, they'll start to realize just how damn awesome it was.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 03, 2013, 07:33:04 PM

It'll be interesting to see if the show's ratings drop or increase (or don't move at all) next week. It's tempting to say that there will be a drop, but I suspect it'll be quite the opposite. smile There's a lot of upset people out there right now, but once they get a few days distance from the episode, they'll start to realize just how damn awesome it was.

Yeah agreed I don't see much of a drop happening.  If this was so much of a shock that it causes you to quit watching entirely, you clearly have not been paying much attention to the rest of the show.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: