http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:33:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Game of Thrones - Season 4 is coming (please mark spoilers)  (Read 42563 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 07, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on May 07, 2012, 03:53:14 PM

Nothing quite like spooning north of the wall.

I figured playing "Just the tip" in Westeros would involve a sword...little did I know!?!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 14, 2012, 04:10:54 AM »

Not really enjoying this season at all.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 14, 2012, 04:10:54 AM

Needs more Renly slurping!!!  Yeah yeah I know but whatever. 
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 15, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »

Is this because you're constantly comparing the show to the books? Because taken on it's own right I think the show is pretty awesome.
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 21, 2012, 01:38:01 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on May 15, 2012, 05:37:14 PM

Is this because you're constantly comparing the show to the books? Because taken on it's own right I think the show is pretty awesome.
It is hard NOT to compare... its just that some of the changes they are making are unnecessarily divergent from the books...

meanwhile... this episode has been cuntastic so far

and according to previews it looks like they might actually show a battle in this show
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:59:23 AM by notrich » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: May 21, 2012, 04:49:18 PM »

Quote from: notrich on May 21, 2012, 01:38:01 AM

meanwhile... this episode has been cuntastic so far

I'm trying to figure out if that is good or bad... Tongue
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 22, 2012, 01:29:19 AM »

I'm loving season 2 so far, although the lack of action is definitely noticeable.
If they're going to make the episodes all about talking, scheming, back stabbing, and politics then we really need 2 hour episodes as they go by way too fast.

My guess is adding battle scenes costs big bucks and they're playing it cheap (which I'm sure is still a good bit of change) until towards the end.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 22, 2012, 01:41:48 AM »

Quote from: notrich on May 21, 2012, 01:38:01 AM

and according to previews it looks like they might actually show a battle in this show

yeah, it's a pretty simple description for the next episode:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Episode #19: “Blackwater”
Debut: SUNDAY, MAY 27
Tyrion and the Lannisters fight for their lives as Stannis’ fleet assaults King’s Landing. Written by George R.R. Martin; directed by Neil Marshall.

only 2 episodes left this season!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #568 on: May 22, 2012, 06:24:42 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 22, 2012, 01:29:19 AM

I'm loving season 2 so far, although the lack of action is definitely noticeable.
If they're going to make the episodes all about talking, scheming, back stabbing, and politics then we really need 2 hour episodes as they go by way too fast.

If you're watching Game of Thrones and expecting action, then you're better off with something like Spartacus to be honest. GoT is a political drama through and through. There isn't really supposed to be any focus on action, not in the books and not in the series. Episode 9 will be the exception to the rule, but don't expect any similar episodes for several seasons after this one. This show is all about talking, scheming, backstabbing and politics.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 22, 2012, 08:11:02 AM »

It may not be action, but there is plenty of murder and fighting in pretty much every book. That said, its not an "action show", thats true.

They are deviating so incredibly much from the books that its hard not to be worried. I guess we who have read the books, are actually at a bit of an disadvantage here.

A new one
notrich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 22, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2012, 06:24:42 AM

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 22, 2012, 01:29:19 AM

If you're watching Game of Thrones and expecting action, then you're better off with something like Spartacus to be honest. GoT is a political drama through and through. There isn't really supposed to be any focus on action, not in the books
except that some of the best swordfights I have read have been in those books...  if you know of any better described fights than the inn or the trial... then i want to read them (hmmm that kind of sounds obnoxious... its not meant to be that way though... seriously I love to read a great sword fight - open to suggestions)

heck! even the tyrion fights were pretty awesome... and so far i think they have avoided showing his fights
Spoiler for Hiden:
which might make the next episode seem to come out of nowhere - unless they make it so he doesnt fight again
--- cutting out book fan rage lol----

Hopefully the first/second season dvds will generate enough dough for them to commit more money to special effects in the third and fourth season.

I will give them this... I am happy they got it on the air.  I am happy that they got most of the ned story right

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:12:32 PM by notrich » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 30, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »

After last episode I wish I hadn't read book 2 and just had watched the shows.  Maybe I'll stop book 3 and just enjoy the tv series.

Also casting news for the next 2 seasons.  Apparently book 3 is split into 2 seasons:

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/05/ew-scoop-on-s3-the-reeds-are-in-and-so-is-blackfish/
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 30, 2012, 09:13:40 PM »

Looks like they took all violence that should have been in the rest of the season and packed it into one single episode.  The Blackwater episode was so awesome, I watched it twice.  BOOM!!!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 04, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »

Damn is it really over already?

Now we have to wait almost a year for the new season? And over half a year until spartacus comes on again? The only other shows I was watching (Terra Nova and Awake) were both cancelled.

Going be one hell of a 2012 with nothing left to watch..

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: June 04, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of stuff to play by the looks of it.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 05, 2012, 03:41:48 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 30, 2012, 08:46:56 PM

After last episode I wish I hadn't read book 2 and just had watched the shows.  Maybe I'll stop book 3 and just enjoy the tv series.

Think I've enjoyed the series more with the books being fairly blurred to me since its been so many years. I actually couldn't get into book 5 cause I was lost with so many names of characters I that I couldn't remember who the heck they were. I say just enjoy the series for what it is now , and maybe go read the books later.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: June 05, 2012, 06:20:11 AM »

Considering that the events in the House of the Undying left out what some (most?) people consider one of the most important sections in the books, I've just got to get a rant off my chest. The stuff in the spoiler tags below may or may not be actual (minor) spoiler material for those who haven't read the books, but the point I'm going to try and get across is that I don't think it is.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm talking about the prophecy that Dany sees during her visions in the House of the Undying. It's been a while since I last read the books, so the details elude me right now. I remember things like "the prince that was promised" and the dragon with three heads, and other vague stuff like that. The thing that truly surprises me is that the vast majority of A Song of Ice and Fire fans seem to swallow this bait hook, line and sinker, assuming that it's the key to the entire series. In a book series where the author is specifically uprooting traditional fantasy clichés, do you really think he'd keep the most clichéd fantasy trope of them all (ie. a prophecy)? Shouldn't the fact that nobody can truly agree what the prophecy is about clue someone in? Anyone?

In most other regards, I find discussions about A Song of Ice and Fire to be very intelligent and thoughtful, but it all comes apart once the prophecy enters the picture. I think I've only seen one person EVER express any doubt regarding its authenticity. Have I been reading the same books as these people?

It's my belief that George R. R. Martin planted the prophecy as a red herring to mess with fantasy tropes, but he probably never expected that people would take it so seriously. His intent with it may be to show that once you believe in some kind of vague, quasi-religious text, almost anything can be used to "prove" that it's true as long as you've got blind faith in it.

I'm fine with some people believing in this prophecy. I just wished there was more variation in opinion about it, instead of having 99% of fans blindly accepting it. That the entire prophecy was skipped in the TV series should perhaps clue someone in that it's not important, but sadly I don't think it will. They'll just assume that the show's creators dropped the ball.

Rant off.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 05, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »

I guess I'm kind of lucky I haven't read the books, so I don't have to worry about them doing something "wrong" or criticizing everything that drifts a bit from the books.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: June 05, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on June 05, 2012, 01:04:17 PM

I guess I'm kind of lucky I haven't read the books, so I don't have to worry about them doing something "wrong" or criticizing everything that drifts a bit from the books.

For the record, my post above wasn't criticizing the show, but was instead criticizing the critical thinking of the average book readers. slywink
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 05, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 05, 2012, 02:39:46 PM

Quote from: corruptrelic on June 05, 2012, 01:04:17 PM

For the record, my post above wasn't criticizing the show, but was instead criticizing the critical thinking of the average book readers. slywink

Criticizing the critical thinking of a story that has no end yet is a bit silly. You have no real idea if you are right or not. Martin may be playing a cruel joke on the people like you who over analyze the story.

There is a prophecy of a three headed dragon, Dany has visions of the prophecy, Aemon believed in the prophecy, the story as it stands still fits the possible outcome of the prophecy. Now lets see where it goes.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 06, 2012, 08:41:30 AM »

anyone got some money to burn?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 06, 2012, 08:56:57 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 30, 2012, 08:46:56 PM

Also casting news for the next 2 seasons.  Apparently book 3 is split into 2 seasons:

dammit, that could be annoying.  there was an event I was very much looking forward to next season, and I cannot quite remember when it happens in book 3:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Joffrey getting his 'comeuppance'  icon_twisted

still (it may have already been mentioned), I'm pretty sure parts of book 3 appeared in the 2nd season, so the event I mention may happen sooner than later.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: June 06, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2012, 08:56:57 AM

dammit, that could be annoying.  there was an event I was very much looking forward to next season, and I cannot quite remember when it happens in book 3:

Spoiler for Hiden:

still (it may have already been mentioned), I'm pretty sure parts of book 3 appeared in the 2nd season, so the event I mention may happen sooner than later.

I'm pretty confident that won't happen until season 4 since it happened very late in book 3, and there's another very huge event that is going to serve as the climax for season 3 anyway.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 06, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »

Aye, we may FINALLY get to see some boobs!

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 06, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 06, 2012, 12:25:59 PM

egads man, you may have naught for sight!

There was aught to see in the way of breasts!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 06, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 06, 2012, 10:07:48 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2012, 08:56:57 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I'm pretty confident that won't happen until season 4 since it happened very late in book 3, and there's another very huge event that is going to serve as the climax for season 3 anyway.

Yep
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: June 06, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 06, 2012, 12:50:33 PM

Quick, someone take Dragon's Dogma away from this man before it's too late!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 06, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 06, 2012, 01:48:31 PM

I fear there is naught you can do to help
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 07, 2012, 08:13:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 06, 2012, 05:12:39 PM

Quote from: TiLT on June 06, 2012, 01:48:31 PM

I fear there is naught you can do to help
It seems all roads lead to King's Landing.

Strength in numbers.

An undead warrior!

What a gaffe...  
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 12, 2012, 04:01:33 AM »

rogue you are on an  F-ing roll man!

seriously that previous quote was a delicious cake and your last post a wonderful cherry on top... also it helps that my last previous 4 hours were spent on a marathon of game of thrones and barleywine, my last week or so dragons dogma... slywink
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 12, 2012, 04:02:27 AM »

wow - "last, previous" - really???  damn barelywines...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 14, 2012, 01:49:15 AM »

kotaku

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 14, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »

question.

Something that has been bothering me. In the 2nd to last episode we see Stannis mounthing the battlements and being 'over taken' by the castle defenders.
Then in the last episode he is back home with the red hair lady.

If what I perceived as being taken prisoner actually happened why did they let him go? Would they not have killed him?

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »

Quote from: Roman on June 14, 2012, 01:45:55 PM

question.

Something that has been bothering me. In the 2nd to last episode we see Stannis mounthing the battlements and being 'over taken' by the castle defenders.
Then in the last episode he is back home with the red hair lady.

If what I perceived as being taken prisoner actually happened why did they let him go? Would they not have killed him?

I thought the last we saw of him in that episode was

Spoiler for in case some people haven't finished watching the season:
when his own men were surrounding him and removing him from the field because they realized the battle was lost.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:53:22 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »

As I was typing my question I was thinking the very same thing. I just wanted to be sure.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »

Is it worth picking up the books now?,or do you think i should wait until the last two are released?(which from the sound of things could be quite a few years away)

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 14, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 14, 2012, 08:57:21 PM

Is it worth picking up the books now?,or do you think i should wait until the last two are released?(which from the sound of things could be quite a few years away)

I wondered about that myself. I ended up buying the 4 book boxed set ($20) and figured I would go from there. Well, I am now waiting for book 5 to be released in paperback and am facing the realization that nobody knows when (or if) books 6-7 will ever come out.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »

Pick them up.  The first three are very enjoyable.  The next two, while not to the same exalted standard, are still pretty good.  

Even inf Martin fails to deliver them before he joins the Jordan club, there's no doubt that someone else will pick them up and soldier on. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 14, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 14, 2012, 09:06:19 PM

Pick them up.  The first three are very enjoyable.  The next two, while not to the same exalted standard, are still pretty good.  

Even inf Martin fails to deliver them before he joins the Jordan club, there's no doubt that someone else will pick them up and soldier on.  

I heard he had laid out the outline for the remaining books to HBO,so they knew how it would end if he did indeed pass on

Quote from: Scuzz on June 14, 2012, 09:05:19 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 14, 2012, 08:57:21 PM

I wondered about that myself. I ended up buying the 4 book boxed set ($20) and figured I would go from there. Well, I am now waiting for book 5 to be released in paperback and am facing the realization that nobody knows when (or if) books 6-7 will ever come out.

Book 5 is out in Paperback,i saw it yesterday(unless for some reason you guys are behind the UK),it's in two parts-'Dreams and Dust' and 'After the feast'..or unless you are waiting for a complete paperback edition(if that is on the cards)

looking at the release dates for the books,i see there is usually a 5-6 year gap between books..of the last few anyway(Dance of Dragons was released last year) icon_confused

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 14, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »

Loved the first book, liked the second, made it through the third, stopped halfway through the fourth.  He gets more and more rambling and sidetracked as he goes.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: