http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:43:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Game of Thrones - Season 4 is coming (please mark spoilers)  (Read 38523 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: June 23, 2011, 06:33:11 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 21, 2011, 07:38:51 PM

Quote from: TiLT on June 21, 2011, 07:22:43 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on June 21, 2011, 07:03:39 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 21, 2011, 05:53:44 PM

Quote from: Razgon on June 21, 2011, 05:52:06 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on June 21, 2011, 05:41:52 PM

I guess all I want to know is do the people that I/we want to win finally win in some form? Or it going to continuously be me being pissed off that this show?

Basically, you are in for a world of hurt. Good guys don't automatically win, and things are going to get a helluva lot worse. That said, *some* do alright for themselves

Yeah, you may want to stop watching before season 3 :O

I guess part of me wonders what is the point then, why invest yourself into something that will end shitty. I mean part of me enjoys TV and novels and so forth because the people you want to win end up winning eventually. Just makes me questions the "escape" aspect of things like this I deal with real life politics and bullshit everyday I'd rather not come home and watch it. One of the main reasons that I got through Enders Game but I was just depressed through the whole thing and didn't read that much more of the series. And yeah I know the ending of Ender's Game but that wasn't really a "win". Hopefully that makes sense, ha.

Nobody knows how it ends. We're still 3 books away from that. We do know that there are major setbacks and major victories along the way, but unlike most stories the setbacks actually mean something.

Additionally, I think that more so than an any other book I can recall, your idea about who is good and bad and who you cheer for changes over time. At the very least, almost every character (with one or two exceptions, of course) is multifaceted and can't be pigeon holed into being purely "good" or purely "evil".

Take, for example, a scene from this last episode. I'm sure many people were pissed off when they found out that the witch with Dany killed her unborn son and more or less killed Drago. That seemed pretty straight forwardly evil. But her reasoning was pretty sound: Drago and Dany's child would almost certainly have brought more misery into the world by razing cities, taking slaves, and raping women. So who was in the right here?

From what I was telling someone else, I think there's only a handful of people in Season 1 who are flat out 'evil'.  And one of those is merely 'supremely selfish'. 

The two things I've told friends watching is 1)  Don't get attached to anyone and 2) Almost no one is exactly as they seem.  Ned, of course, was the 'supremely good, decent, noble and honorable' person.  And a freaking moron.   

Oh, and the handful? 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Jeoffrey, Cersei, Tywin, Gregor, Littlefinger.  Jeoffrey is a spoiled little brat with little to no redeeming quality.  Cersei's only redeeming quality is that she'll do anything to protect her position and her children.  However, she's more important than the kids, in her mind, as you'll discover later.  Gregor is a beast, period.  Littlefinger...is just royally selfish.  I hated the scene in the show where he talks about 'fucking them, because that's what he is'.  It's way too much foreshadowing in my mind.  Hell, in the books you don't really start finding his motives for doing things until the 3rd book.  But yes, Littlefinger only cares about Littlefinger.  Tywin is where Cersei got her own issues from.  All he cares about is the Lannister name.  He's got a reason, admittedly, but he's as unyielding in his own fashion as Ned was.  Everyone else?  Keep watching, folks, keep watching. 
exGoneGolder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 23, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »

I guess all I want to know is do the people that I/we want to win finally win in some form? Or it going to continuously be me being pissed off that this show?

Basically, you are in for a world of hurt. Good guys don't automatically win, and things are going to get a helluva lot worse. That said, *some* do alright for themselves

I guess part of me wonders what is the point then, why invest yourself into something that will end shitty. I mean part of me enjoys TV and novels and so forth because the people you want to win end up winning eventually. Just makes me questions the "escape" aspect of things like this I deal with real life politics and bullshit everyday I'd rather not come home and watch it. One of the main reasons that I got through Enders Game but I was just depressed through the whole thing and didn't read that much more of the series. And yeah I know the ending of Ender's Game but that wasn't really a "win". Hopefully that makes sense, ha.

It's funny that for some people this is such a turn off and for others it is part of what makes the books so amazing.

If I read a book or watch a movie and I know that good will triumph and that the character is never in any real danger, I lose interest. If a writer creates a suspenseful story built on the fact that a protagonist is in danger, and we know the character is going to be fine it completely negates the effect.

When I first read Book 1 and "you know who" got "you know whated" I was outraged. But then after I calmed down, I realized that I have never had such a reaction before. Going back to other authors has been very hard. They all feel far too safe now.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 23, 2011, 06:53:05 PM »

Just a minor note about:

Quote from: Zarkon on June 23, 2011, 05:52:01 PM

Things I wish they hadn't changed: (SPOILERS FOR BOTH SHOW AND 2ND SEASON)
Spoiler for Hiden:

They left out the Walder wards.  Not a big thing, but it's a plot point in one of Jojen's dreams in the book.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Catelyn mentioned them as a condition of the crossing, and their actual appearance isn't until book 2.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 23, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »

Quote from: exGoneGolder on June 23, 2011, 06:47:28 PM

It's funny that for some people this is such a turn off and for others it is part of what makes the books so amazing.

If I read a book or watch a movie and I know that good will triumph and that the character is never in any real danger, I lose interest. If a writer creates a suspenseful story built on the fact that a protagonist is in danger, and we know the character is going to be fine it completely negates the effect.

When I first read Book 1 and "you know who" got "you know whated" I was outraged. But then after I calmed down, I realized that I have never had such a reaction before. Going back to other authors has been very hard. They all feel far too safe now.

While I couldn't really get into the books (writing style), this is what I love about the series as well.  It's much better when you aren't certain that everything is going to turn out 'right' in the end.

I may try the books again, actually.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: June 23, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 23, 2011, 06:53:05 PM

Just a minor note about:

Spoiler for Hiden:

They left out the Walder wards.  Not a big thing, but it's a plot point in one of Jojen's dreams in the book.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Catelyn mentioned them as a condition of the crossing, and their actual appearance isn't until book 2.

Spoiler for Hiden:
She didn't, no.  She mentioned 1)  a Frey son (can't remember the name) as Robb's squire 2) Arya's marriage and 3) Robb's marriage.  Also they mentioned that only one of the daughters looked decent...which is odd, considering Roslin later on (who is apparently definitely better than 'decent'.  And true, we don't see the boys until book 2, other than having someone bundle them off to Winterfell.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 23, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »

Overall, I'm satisfied with the translation from book to series.    Obviously, it's a bit rushed, and a number of (relatively minor) characters have been excised, the wolves pared down to minimal appearances (as was Rickon for most of the series) and a lot of minor changes were made. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
Tywin was bald in the book.  As Tyrion noted, he started to go bald and decided that he hated half-measures, so shaved it except for two long sideburns.   I think it would have looked better. 

Dany was bald after being scorched.  Why not put her in a bald cap for that one scene unless the actress really didn't want to have short hair next year?

Riverrun was completely left out.  Guess it was cheaper to film outside than in yet another castle. 

The changes to Shae ... I'm not sure I agree with.  The entire 'foreign-ness' and her temper...wasn't anywhere in the book.  She was coy, playful, and utterly accepting of being a whore.  The worst she got with Tyrion (and not until 2nd or 3rd book!) was a cold sort of courtesy.  Sullen.  No anger, no threats. 

Also, the Tysha story.  The dagger at the end of the story was cut, which is Tyrion's comment that after the guards, his father had him go as well.  Then Tywin paid Tysha a gold for Tyrion, because he's a Lord's son....and worth more. 

Jeyne Poole was written out.  Again, this is relatively minor, other than the fact that she seems to have a part later on. 

Other than that, the only other issue is that a lot of characters are ... prettied up.  Drogo's injury, Sangor Cledane, Rorge/Biter (not named yet) and Tyrion all .... look much better in the show.  I'm not sure of the reasoning is, but whatever. There's also the hair color on the Stark children (which really doesn't matter other than Catelyn).  Although the entire horror factor from Sansa is much more underscored in the books because Sangor is /really/ messed up.   Same with people's reactions to Tyrion (and why he was so enamored of Shae, as she /didn't/ react as one would).  It makes me wonder how drastically they're going to tone down Tyrion's injuries later on).    It also makes me wonder how much they're going to prettify Brienne...which somewhat defeats the purpose on her also.

Again, these are minor issues, and nothing I can't live without.  It's a much better translation than Sword of Truth was *shudder*.  I look forward to the 2nd season (and, thank you, the 5th book!).

A couple of points:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Were the Walder wards in the 1st book? I don't remember much about them until the 2nd book.

I don't think many of the points you bring up are integral to the story. Jeyne Poole can be left out without too much worry, I think. And Dany's hair doesn't bother me. I think many of the character changes/absences were made due to time constraints. When you're condensing an 800 page book into 10 episode, there have make some cuts.

Also, I saw someone that in the casting add for Brienne they specifically mentioned that no model type actresses need to apply. I believe the quote from the casting add said:

Do NOT submit actresses that look like models. We are looking for a big, WARRIOR-TYPE woman thatís more MANLY than womanly.

Hopefully they stick to that description.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:26 PM »

Zarkon, you're waaaaay too critical.

In other news, Margaery Tyrell has been cast.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 23, 2011, 07:20:13 PM »

Yeah, I think you're being nitpicky, Zarkon...
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: June 23, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »

I said as much, adding that they were minor issues.  :p
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 23, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 23, 2011, 07:17:26 PM

Zarkon, you're waaaaay too critical.

In other news, Margaery Tyrell has been cast.

Not sure I like that casting for one reason (book 2 - 4 spoilers ahead!):
Spoiler for Hiden:
Isn't Margaery supposed to be 14? This actress is nearly 30. That's a big difference and will certainly be especially noticeable during her betrothal to Joffrey.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: June 23, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 23, 2011, 08:07:50 PM

Not sure I like that casting for one reason (book 2 - 4 spoilers ahead!):
Spoiler for Hiden:
Isn't Margaery supposed to be 14? This actress is nearly 30. That's a big difference and will certainly be especially noticeable during her betrothal to Joffrey.

As with other children in the series, they've probably aged her up. The actress also has a pixie-like look to her that can make her look convincing as a 20-year old girl or so.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: July 08, 2011, 06:51:10 AM »

Some more casting news! It seems they're getting the women out of the way first. Our second confirmed new cast member for season 2 is Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth, who according to George R. R. Martin looks just like her. She was also a fan favorite. The picture below is prettier than what they're going for in the show.

As for the rumor mill, there are two going around from a single source right now, though both appear legit. The first is Kerr Logan who may have been cast as Matthos Seaworth (according to speculation), one of Davos Seaworth's sons. A minor role, but a role nonetheless.

Finally we have Gemma Whelan who seems to have been cast as Asha Greyjoy. However, they appear to have changed that character's name to Yara Greyjoy, probably so that viewers won't confuse her with Osha.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 08, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »

Yeah, I always wondered why Martin did the Osha/Asha thing, it was even confusing in the book. Curious to see what she is like, Asha is definitely a very likable character in the book.

Apparently Gwendoline Christie is 6'3".

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 08, 2011, 01:27:32 PM »

A couple more pictures of Gwendoline (Brienne)

They're definitely going to need to ugly her up.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: July 08, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 08, 2011, 01:27:32 PM

She's dressed up in those pictures and is using makeup. According to GRRM she showed up for her audition specially prepared to look just like Brienne should, and she was so right for what they were looking for that there wasn't even any real competition for the part. I wouldn't worry.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 08, 2011, 01:39:28 PM »

Yah, I'm curious how they are going to transform her into The Maid of Tarth...

"Brienne is abnormally large and strong for a woman, and exceeds most men in size. She has large, very blue eyes that appear trusting and guileless, but they are her only attractive feature. She is extremely broad-shouldered, but has virtually no bust. Her face is broad and coarse, with a nose that has been broken several times. Her mouth is too wide, with prominent and crooked teeth and lips so plump they seem swollen. Her hair is the color of dirty straw and her face is mottled with freckles."

At least she looks to have the right height.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 08, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 08, 2011, 01:36:31 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 08, 2011, 01:27:32 PM

She's dressed up in those pictures and is using makeup. According to GRRM she showed up for her audition specially prepared to look just like Brienne should, and she was so right for what they were looking for that there wasn't even any real competition for the part. I wouldn't worry.

Interesting. I guess we'll see.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 08, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »

But who will play Stannis?!?!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 08, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 08, 2011, 02:29:12 PM

But who will play Stannis?!?!

here's the way all the artwork seems depict him.

Stannis is a large man, like his brothers, with a bald head and a shadow of a beard across his large jaw. He grinds his teeth regularly

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: July 08, 2011, 02:42:22 PM »

Yeah, well, Tywin was shown as being bald, and we saw how that worked out. biggrin

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 08, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2011, 02:33:15 PM

here's the way all the artwork seems depict him.

Stannis is a large man, like his brothers, with a bald head and a shadow of a beard across his large jaw. He grinds his teeth regularly

A perfect match:

Spoiler for Hiden:

icon_wink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 08, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »

that could work.  too bad Powers Boothe is too old for the role.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 12, 2011, 05:20:25 PM »

Rumors that some Camelot cast members are joining season 2:

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/07/report-3-actors-cast-one-from-recently-canceled-camelot/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 14, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »

The Emmy nominations are out, and GoT is nominated for:

Oustanding Drama Series (up against Boardwalk Empire, The Good Wife, Dexter, Friday Night Lights and Mad Men)
Outstanding supporting Actor in a drama series: Peter Dinklage
Outstanding writing for a drama series: "Baelor", written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: July 14, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »

It's actually got 13 nominations in total, not just 3.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 14, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 14, 2011, 05:13:19 PM

It's actually got 13 nominations in total, not just 3.

figured there might be more, but most sites seem to be listing only the important ones.  sorry 'Most Valuable Fluffer to Peter Dinklage', you ain't worth mentioning.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 20, 2011, 01:56:55 AM »

Stannis and Melisandre casting news.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 20, 2011, 02:22:00 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 20, 2011, 01:56:55 AM

I'm sure they'll be great. They look like they will be!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 30, 2011, 06:08:43 AM »

a few pics from season 2:

also, HBO swears they'll take the series to the bitter end.  here's a grain of salt to go with that.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 10, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »

Game of Thrones goes 16 bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCruJzlWefE&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 11, 2011, 12:35:46 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on July 08, 2011, 01:39:28 PM

Yah, I'm curious how they are going to transform her into The Maid of Tarth...

"Brienne is abnormally large and strong for a woman, and exceeds most men in size. She has large, very blue eyes that appear trusting and guileless, but they are her only attractive feature. She is extremely broad-shouldered, but has virtually no bust. Her face is broad and coarse, with a nose that has been broken several times. Her mouth is too wide, with prominent and crooked teeth and lips so plump they seem swollen. Her hair is the color of dirty straw and her face is mottled with freckles."

At least she looks to have the right height.

Just now catching up with this thread, but...

That is a large, broad shoulders, virtually no busted woman. The facial stuff should be relatively easy to do between makeup and false teeth. The tough part will be getting someone to teach her some decent posture to help her look stronger and more athletic than her slouchy self really is.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 11, 2011, 01:14:57 AM »

She's going to be in armor for most of the time.  I think they'll be able to fake it. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 11, 2011, 03:43:01 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 11, 2011, 01:14:57 AM

She's going to be in armor for most of the time.  I think they'll be able to fake it. 

She may prove me wrong, but I don't see her wielding a sword with any amount of dexterity/strength. I imagine they will have to use some cheesy camera work to make it look like she is a good a fighter as the character she portrays.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 11, 2011, 03:42:47 PM »

Well, here's hoping that they give her plenty of training and can choreograph her to look like a bad ass.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 11, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »

Ygritte was cast: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/10/game-of-thrones-rose-leslie/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 21, 2011, 05:41:01 AM »

new promo!

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true&vid=1222845&filter=game-of-thrones&view=null

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 21, 2011, 06:12:31 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 21, 2011, 05:41:01 AM

thumbsup thumbsup
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 09, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »

for those of you waiting for DVD/Blu Ray, season 1 will hit the shelves March 6th.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 12, 2011, 04:06:46 AM »

new trailer: http://hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true&vid=1226809&filter=game-of-thrones&view=null

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 13, 2012, 08:27:53 PM »

it's official, April 1st is the start of season 2!

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: