http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 03:11:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gallstones...surgery?  (Read 243 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:33:09 PM »

So after a couple years of on and off pain I finally got in to a doctor and got diagnosed with gallstones. 

A bit to my surprise it seems like the only real recommended solution is surgery to remove the gall bladder.  I've talked with my doctor and had a surgery consultation and both doctors have basically been treating this as not a big deal.  The surgeon in particular said not to worry too much about long term consequences I've read about and that I shouldn't have to really change anything (diet, etc) after the surgery. 

I'm not a fan of permanently removing any organ but since that seems to be the only recommendation I'm willing to go with it.  They would do it all with robotic laparoscopy using the DaVinci system, which seems minimally invasive with 1 incision in the belly button at least.

I think several people around these parts have had similar problems and/or gone through the surgery, so I guess I'm just looking for any advice or feedback or warnings.   icon_neutral

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »

give me $24 bucks plus a bottle of Jack Daniels along with an xacto knife, some salad tongs and duct tape and I can guarantee a 50% success rate on the removal of the gall bladder, or at the very least an organ that looks similar.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:43:43 AM »

My wife had that done. She had to go back in a week later for stabbing pain in the same area, and the Dr. Claimed it was just gas from the surgery. Turned out one of the stones had lodged in her bile duct. Another surgery and she was right as rain.

The whole thing was pretty easy and she has never regretted it.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:52:39 AM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on October 16, 2013, 01:43:43 AM

The whole thing was pretty easy and she has never regretted it.

Well that's certainly nice to hear!  smile

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »

My brother went through the same thing and ended up getting surgery.  He is very glad he did as the the stones had become excruciating at times and has had no issues at all since the surgery.  This was a few years ago and he has no regrets.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Krillin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »

I had my gallbladder removed just over a year ago. I just have to watch how much I eat, I can't handle "mass quantities" anymore (smaller but more frequent meals worked best for me). 

Just get back to your normal diet slowly after your operation and give your system a chance to adjust.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »

I had several attacks and finally was happy for the surgery. Mine was arthroscopic which was pretty simple. In and out in less than one day. I did have a stone left behind though as the night after the surgery I had one last attack. But since then I have been fine except for a couple incidents that have not been really explained to me very well. It has been over 15 years for me.

I did have some "digestion" problems afterwards. There were times where i would eat and within minutes need to find a bathroom for a quick number 2. I have heard this is common from other people who have had the surgery and I have had a doctor deny this happens. My regular doctor was gone and the Ready Care guy was a quack, obviously.

Anyway I learned when eating out to carry immodium with me. I keep some in my car just in case. Again, I have heard from other people that this is standard for them as well.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 06:26:45 PM »

Thanks for all the info guys.  It's good to hear from people who have had this done and had no problems with it, but also good in a way to hear the real-world potential downside as well. 

I've definitely read that digestive issues can be a problem for a month or two for everybody, and some percentage (anywhere from 5-40% depending on what I read) have some long-term issues.  I can't say I'm looking forward to that, but I guess I just have to take it as it comes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: