http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 02:50:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gah! Job Related. Which new job would you take?  (Read 1540 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2006, 06:56:00 AM »

I recently lost my job. After a few weeks of searching I've been made offers from two different companies. Both jobs are the same position, pay scale and benefit grade. The difference is in the way shifts are handled, and the span of control (# of employees working for me):

Job 1-

2 hour meeting on Monday from 4 PM until 6PM
3 day work week- 12 hour shifts Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 6PM until 6AM.
Span of control= 14 employees

Drive time until I can move= 3.5 hours per day (The drive is mostly country roads. No heavy traffic. I cannot move until June 30th due to my lease agreement.)

Job 2-

9 hour days Sunday through Thursday. 11PM until 8 AM.
Every other Saturday is mandatory eight hours.
Span of control= 25 employees

Drive time= 1 hour per day. (Again, country roads, no heavy traffic.)

To you, which is less stressful? Would you prefer 3.5 days off per week, but a much longer workday and drive? Or would you prefer a few hours of free time every day, but you would only have a full weekend free every other week?

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 07:33:33 AM »

Personally, I'd take job #1. Having the extended off-time is much better in the long run if you want to have any semblance of a personal life. Also, in job 1 you oversee fewer employees. On job #2, having to work every other Saturday sucks. You'll always feel shortchanged on the weekends.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:44:52 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on December 22, 2006, 07:33:33 AM

Personally, I'd take job #1. Having the extended off-time is much better in the long run if you want to have any semblance of a personal life. Also, in job 1 you oversee fewer employees. On job #2, having to work every other Saturday sucks. You'll always feel shortchanged on the weekends.

I agree with the Fish.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 08:46:37 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 22, 2006, 07:44:52 AM

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on December 22, 2006, 07:33:33 AM

I agree with the Fish.

Job 1 good sir. Way easier on the gaming schedule, and I ams ure you could break your lease with a penalty.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:21:02 AM »

I would say Job #1 sounds a little better with the schedule.   
The drive sounds like the worst part, especially if you have to go in for the two hour meeting and then drive back.  Still, having three days off in a row allows for some nice time off.  Also less people to worry about could be a benefit.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »

I'm a little confused. 

Job 1 - 38 total hours per week
Job 2 - 49 total hours per week (on average with every-other Sat work)

Now you've stated that it's the same pay scale/benefit grade.  Are you hourly, so do you stand to make an extra 25% more pay for Job 2 if you take it?  Or are you salaried and Company/Job 2 works their employees to death (because that's a shitload of manditory hours)?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »

Job 1.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 01:35:21 PM »

Dude, break that lease.  Whatever penalty you have to pay has got to be better than spending 3.5 hours a day in the car for the next six months.  Especially considering that two hour meeting on Monday where you will spend more time in the car than at work. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 01:42:42 PM »

Job 1, hands down.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 02:31:05 PM »

Job 1 for a month (or however long it takes to get on "permanent". If it's working out, then break your lease.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 02:40:27 PM »

Talk to the office manager where you live, sometimes they will work out a deal with you about breaking lease.  You can ask if they rent it out within the 1st month would they refund your penalty. 

Erin and I were about to break out lease, and they said if we found someone to move in, they wouldn't charge us anything.

Also, we were going from an apt to a house, the house and a fridge, and washer/dryer, so that $1000 fee for breaking lease would probably been a deal, because we found a house without the fridge/washer/dryer, it would easily be over $1000 that would go towards those appliances.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 04:05:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on December 22, 2006, 01:25:34 PM

I'm a little confused. 

Now you've stated that it's the same pay scale/benefit grade.  Are you hourly, so do you stand to make an extra 25% more pay for Job 2 if you take it?  Or are you salaried and Company/Job 2 works their employees to death (because that's a shitload of manditory hours)?

I would be salaried, exempt.  Job 2 simply has more mandatory hours.

However, when drive time is included things pan out like this:
Job 1: 49 hours per week
Job 2: 50 hours per week (on weeks without Saturday), 59 hours per week (on weeks with Saturdays)

However, when you include gas money, wear and tear on the car, etc, I suppose Job 1 actually pays less. In the past, I've seen estimates that  it costs an average of 34.5 cents per mile to operate a car, Here is the mileage difference:

Job 1: 66 miles 1 way (there is no public transportation available)  ($728 loss per month)
Job 2: 18 miles 1 way ($ 291 loss per month)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 04:21:21 PM »

Job numero uno my friend - the pros outweigh the cons and it seems like a better job than #2.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 04:35:22 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 22, 2006, 04:21:21 PM

Job numero uno my friend - the pros outweigh the cons and it seems like a better job than #2.

There is one other nice point to Job 1 that I did not consider:

When you take a week of vacation time you actually get 11 days off based upon how the work days are set up. Considering that I get two weeks of vacation in the first year, that is actually like having 22 paid days off.

...but 15-16 hour work days (when including drive time) are not exactly pleasant.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 04:38:33 PM »

Job 1 the loss of every other saturday sucks.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 04:55:53 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 22, 2006, 04:05:53 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on December 22, 2006, 01:25:34 PM

I'm a little confused. 

I would be salaried, exempt.  Job 2 simply has more mandatory hours.

However, when drive time is included things pan out like this:
Job 1: 49 hours per week
Job 2: 50 hours per week (on weeks without Saturday), 59 hours per week (on weeks with Saturdays)

However, when you include gas money, wear and tear on the car, etc, I suppose Job 1 actually pays less. In the past, I've seen estimates that  it costs an average of 34.5 cents per mile to operate a car, Here is the mileage difference:

Job 1: 66 miles 1 way (there is no public transportation available)  ($728 loss per month)
Job 2: 18 miles 1 way ($ 291 loss per month)

Provided the companies are equally stable, you like the work environments the same, there's no big differences in the people you've met or will work for, and so forth...

I'd go with job 1.  Mileage and drive time are temporary - the schedule differences between the two may not be.  The hours between the two are *significantly* different (25%), as are the days of week.  I'd be concerned about starting for a company who mandates a 50 hour work week without additional compensation.  That's pretty absurd.  You can always look into your lease for an out clause and at $791 per month, it may be cheaper to move and pay for two apartments on a temporary basis.  You'd save an enormous amount of time and, if used correctly, can demonstrate your "good will" and "excitement" to your new company by moving closer.  Will your new company pay anything at all in relocation expense?  Have you even asked for it?  You can always state it like this - "I'm so excited to come on board.  What can the company financially do to help me relocate closer to the office?"

So, to summarize:

1.  Job 1 if everything is equal due to the large difference in work hours
2.  Talk to your leasing company and see if there's an out (like 3 months' rent or something) or see if you can negotiate something.
3.  Move closer to save money on gas and save time.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 05:24:49 PM »

3.5 hour commute?  FORGET IT..

That will suck so much time out of your week, and probably cost an extra $400 a week in fuel to not even make it worth it. Even for 7-10 months until you move (assuming you do).  I don't even see a 3.5 hour commute as an option, thats just ridiculous.  My limit is 30 minute commute, period, I refuse to sit for hours in my car, and can't really understand how people can do it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 05:27:41 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 06:07:16 PM »

I'd go with #1.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 06:34:37 PM »

I refuse to sit for hours in my car, and can't really understand how people can do it.

Because for some people, it's a legitimate tradeoff for living in an area that is affordable, has good neighborhoods or allows a decent lifestyle. For example, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. The traffic here is awful during commute time but the quality of life in the area is really nice and a lot of people tolerate the traffic.

If the commute for job 1 consisted of sitting in traffic then I'd tend to lean more towards job 2, but since he said the commute for job 1 is through country roads with very little or no traffic, then it doesn't sound like a dealbreaker.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 06:48:13 PM by Jimmy the Fish » Logged
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »

Personally, I would prefer to work 3 days/week rather than 5.5 days/week.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 06:58:09 PM »

One is the clear answer.

gellar
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 07:08:02 PM »

Job number 1!!
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 07:08:43 PM »

Not much of contest here take job #1. A 50 hour work week will grind you down to nothing very quickly. Look into breaking your lease so you can move closer.

docD

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 07:41:12 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 22, 2006, 05:24:49 PM

3.5 hour commute?  FORGET IT..

That will suck so much time out of your week, and probably cost an extra $400 a week in fuel to not even make it worth it. Even for 7-10 months until you move (assuming you do).  I don't even see a 3.5 hour commute as an option, thats just ridiculous.  My limit is 30 minute commute, period, I refuse to sit for hours in my car, and can't really understand how people can do it.

Maybe this attitude is why you're unemployed...

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 09:24:30 PM »

I stopped looking for work,  I am a fulltime gamer and forum poster now.   thumbsup  People will adapt, and finally realize that dumping 25-50% of their paychecks into their gas tanks is financially irresponsible.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 09:35:16 PM »

Apparently your idea of a commute is a horseback ride into the valley of the Planet of the Apes.
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 09:46:37 PM »

Quote from: DocD on December 22, 2006, 07:08:43 PM

Not much of contest here take job #1. A 50 hour work week will grind you down to nothing very quickly. Look into breaking your lease so you can move closer.

+1

That would give you the best of both worlds: fewer work days, and an easier commute.

Tell your landlord you lost your job and want to move back in with your parents in Nebraska (or wherever: pick a state far away).  Works every time: a landlord would rather let someone out of their lease than have a deadbeat tenant (which is why you mention the job thing).
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 09:53:43 PM »

Another vote for job 1.  My job situation is similar.  When I work, those days are 100% devoted to work, I have not a second for anything in my personal life.  But then I get large chunks of days off where work is the last thing in my mind.  And it is good.

unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 09:56:15 PM »

Yeah.  Even with 7 hour days, it seems like on a workday, the only thing which will get done is work.

Geez I miss working 4-11... it used to seem like screwing around all day, then going to work.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 01:21:01 AM »

You guys are all asking the wrong questions.  You need to consider these:

1.  Which job will give you the most opportunity for advancement and more pay?
2.  Which company is more likely to still be in business in a few years?
3.  Which job will look better on your resume in case you have to look for a new job?
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2006, 02:16:12 AM »

Good point, but that may be very tough to determine at this point.

I already stated that this is should be a consideration.

3.  Which job will look better on your resume in case you have to look for a new job?

Same position and grade...we'd have to assume that it's pretty even.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 02:18:26 AM by Blackadar » Logged

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2006, 02:36:03 AM »

Quote from: KC on December 23, 2006, 01:21:01 AM

1. Honestly, I'm looking to be out of this field in two years. However, Job #1 probably has more potential for growth, as both men in the positions above me are looking to advance or relocate within the company in 18 months or less.

2. Both have been in business for over 100 years, and both are growing at a steady pace. Neither company has had a layoff in the last 20 years.

3. Job 2 would probably look better because they specifically want to put me on the task force for the rollout of a new MRP software system. BUT, that is already on my resume. (albeit at a much smaller company)  This also flows into one small concern I have at this job. Implementing the new system may increase the amount of overtime necessary as the system goes live. They didn't make a statement hinting at this, but I could see those 9 hour days becoming 10 hour days for a month or two as employees adjust to the new system. The company runs three shifts so that may not be an issue. At this point no one is sure how the new system will initially affect productivity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: