http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:26:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G4TechTV  (Read 2718 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2004, 01:16:59 AM »

Has anyone been watching this station?  So far, I like some of the things that I have seen.  It's not something I will always watch, but some of the shows are interesting to watch when there isn't anything else on.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 01:33:36 AM »

I still check it out.

I had TechTV for years.  I moved into a new place that only had G4.  I liked G4 even though it was incredibly stupd.  It was great background noise, working on my computer listening.  I saw the same "G4 at E3 2004" shows a dozen times.

I used to watch a lot more TechTV, but stopped because I just burned out on it.  For the two weeks I had it I enjoyed what I saw of G4 because it was all about video games, even if much of it wasn't informative or even watchable (Arena).

After the merger I see a lot of old TechTV stuff.  I hate Robot Wars, even though I loved the host when he was on Red Dwarf.  I don't know enough about the schedule to make a final judgement.  If the TechTV stuff is on during, say primetime, and the G4 stuff is on late-nite I will be fine with it.

The hosts are pretty terrible and out of place.  I didn't mind the guys on Judgement Day like some, because they didn't mind trashing games in their reviews.  The might not have had that much on-air personality, but they seem to actually play games.  Tommy T., being a musician for games, actually talked about sound and music, which is something most people completely skip in reviews.

I actually think Cinemateque (or however they spell it) is a great idea.  Just showing the game demos, like the ones on GameTrailers in great quality.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 02:16:34 AM »

At first I wasn't really crazy about the merger, but I'm still watching. When I do watch, I do tend to watch more of the "old" TechTV shows (that's what we had), but I actually like that their focus has shifted more toward gaming and somewhat away from general "tech". They could do a little more on PC gaming IMO, but I understand their primary focus on consoles (follow the $$$ and the ratings). And I have seen some decent G4 shows, so I guess I'll keep watching.

Some of their stuff could be a little more current though. I guess it was because of the Holiday weekend, or just a general lack of new programming with the transition, but last Sat. or Sun. I saw them interviewing a someone from the STAR WARS: CLONE WARS team, and he was hinting at an Xbox version being released  :roll:

Scoop!  :wink:

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 03:10:11 AM »

Stiffler, the more you watch judgement day the more you'll start to realise that Tommy T is a complete moron who outright bashes games for moronic things, like "i didn't get to kill enough hookers, this game sucks.", and is overall a deteriment to what was at one time a decent show.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 07:55:25 PM »

Tech TV was great. XPlay, while not stellar, was still a fine television show about video games. It reviewed games in an entertaining, and somewhat adult way.

Electric Playground on the other hand, tended to aim for a more juvenile audience. They can't do a single game review without putting the hosts of the show in some CGI crap animations that simply no one cares about. And the reviews. I think they were reviewing the suffering. And they started to talk about the forced vomitting that occurs in the game. And the musician guy was all cheery about how the game had forced vomiting.

I'd much rather watch the guy on XPlay get all pissed off about final fantasy anyday.

Enough about the review shows. How about the format

Before the channel seemed to have a better variety of content. Now it's 23 hours of games and The Screen Savers. Seriously, on the morning after the merger, I noticed there was about four straight hours of video game content before the screen savers came on. I enjoy the content, but it just gets excessive after more than an hour.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 08:31:04 PM »

Don't get me started on the G4 channel line-up. I think I could go on and on about the... problems... I'm having with the hosts. Suffice it to say, there's a reason why I stopped watching MTV a long time ago.

There is one show in the horrible G4 dreck that I do enjoy, and that's Icons. Whenever that's on, I give my attention to it completely. So far, I've seen do a scoop on the origins of Pong and Atari of ye olde age, and the acquisitions of Electronic Arts and how it's made the company grow as a whole. Excellent stuff. In fact, I think they should expand on that, and use a full hour slot, since I'm sure there's a lot more material to either of the stories.

The half-hour show, Cinemateque, that shows nothing but gameplay is a good concept as was mentioned already. Now, the key is to actually put gameplay that looks interesting, and not just... generic gameplay. How about some of those crazy videos from the net? Top-10 most unintentionally hilarious moments while playing said games, or something.

Ah well. At least there's still X-Play. It's a good'n solid (albeit a bit corny/cheezy) program that I've grown to enjoy. Most importantly, at least I don't feel like my brain is trying to commit seppuku when I watch it.

The MTV-reject hosts of G4, however, I can't stand one bit. To put it in another way, it's like watching a Basketball game, and the commentators are people who've never watched Basketball in their entire lives, nor have any comprehension how the game actually works. Pure, absolute crap. Why did these people get hired? Why is the target audience the MTV generation? Did they do actual research on what the biggest gaming demographic was? Try looking at an age above 18, and not under 12. Ghh...

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 08:00:04 PM »

I'll usually watch G4 on the weekends or have it on in the background.  I haven't watched it since it merged with TechTV, but I would stop to watch Pulse (gaming news) or Judgment Day (reviews).  The rest of the line-up fell into the "OK" category.  The one show I hated was Arena.  It would just show two teams battling it out in MechAssault or something similar with lame commentary.  Boring.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 03:06:04 PM »

I always had it on in the background, but I switched to the dish network, and didn't get it in my package...

I used to like it ok. I actually liked the judgement day show. My son, who is nine, referes to Tommy T as 'the dumb one.'

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 05:40:12 PM »

Infoghost, check channel 191.  That should be your G4TechTV station.

I like some of the new shows, don't care for some, but I like there is more of a gaming focus to the channel.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 05:45:31 PM »

I only get the package with the first 60 channels right now. I don't really watch much else above those, other than HBO.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: