http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 02:09:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G4TechTV and IFC; are they Worth Getting?  (Read 950 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2007, 08:27:34 PM »

I recently got HDTV service in my home and I've been looking at some additional channels to add. I watch and own quite a lot of anime, but unfortunately the only dedicated animation channel we have in Canada is Teletoons which is strictly NA cartoons. 2 channels I've been looking at that that carry some anime are G4TechTV and the Independent Film Channel. They also seem to have some other decent content that interests me.

I'm wondering if any GT'ers have watched these channels before and if so what your impressions of them are?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:23:46 PM »

G4 is always dubbed.

From what I recall, IFC is almost always subtitled.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 10:36:16 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 04, 2007, 09:23:46 PM

G4 is always dubbed.

From what I recall, IFC is almost always subtitled.

Blah....bummer about G4. I don't necessarily always hate dub's, but it's more the exception than the norm when I don't.
What about the G4 gaming and tech programs; any of it worth the price?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:43:05 PM »

IFC shows some good movies that you won't normally see on other channels. They do repeat fairly often, however. On the other hand, the movies are shown unedited so BOOBIES!!11!!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 10:56:43 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 04, 2007, 10:43:05 PM

IFC shows some good movies that you won't normally see on other channels. They do repeat fairly often, however. On the other hand, the movies are shown unedited so BOOBIES!!11!!

Meh...seeing boobies on TV isn't much of a problem in Canada. Especially on the French language channels and you can just watch and not bother with the dialog.  slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 12:20:54 AM »

If you get Encore or Starz! one of them tends to show anime in the evenings.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »

G4 doesn't show anime anymore, nothing but Cops and Cheaters with an occasional game show on.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 01:23:31 AM »

i get G4 along with the rest of my digital cable, and while i'll occassionally watch a little bit of 'X-Play' or 'Attack of the Show,' i wouldn't say there's anything on G4 that makes it worth paying extra money just for that station.  in my case, it just happens to be bundled with a bunch of other stations that i do watch from time to time.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 02:06:51 AM »

Quote from: disarm on September 05, 2007, 01:23:31 AM

i get G4 along with the rest of my digital cable, and while i'll occassionally watch a little bit of 'X-Play' or 'Attack of the Show,' i wouldn't say there's anything on G4 that makes it worth paying extra money just for that station.  in my case, it just happens to be bundled with a bunch of other stations that i do watch from time to time.

Same here. If nothing else is on I may catch Ninja Warrior or Brainiac.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 03:10:35 AM »

Doesn't G4TechTV Canada show some things that G4 does not?  I know they had Call for Help long after it was dropped from G4 (maybe still do).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 05:26:39 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 05, 2007, 03:10:35 AM

Doesn't G4TechTV Canada show some things that G4 does not?  I know they had Call for Help long after it was dropped from G4 (maybe still do).

Yup, according to their schedule Call for Help is still being shown. After looking at their schedule again they do have a few programs that interest me. They also still have a program slot called Anime Current but don't have Braniac or Ninja Warrior; sounds like the programming is different in Canada. They do however have X-Play and Attack of the Show.
It'll cost me all of 1.50/month and I can cancel anytime, so I'm thinking I'll give it a go but will be prepared to pull the plug quickly. Also think I'm going to give Independent Film Channel a try, unless someone jumps in and says I'd be an fool for wasting my hard earned coin. I can get Starz! in a cheap bundle with other decent channels, so I'm going to take CeeKays advice and give that a try too.
Thanks for all the feedback.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:34:43 AM by kronovan » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 07:42:17 AM »

IFC can definitely be worth it if you enjoy indie films at all.  Not everything on there is good (to me), but if it's that cheap I would say go for it.

I also get G4 along with my regular cable and occasionally watch Attack of the Show or Ninja Warrior when nothing else is on. 

So are all channels in Canada able to be added or dropped individually, or are those ones different?  I really wish they would go with a "pay only for what you want" method in the US, as there are like 100 channels I would love to get rid of.  Instead I just programmed my favorites list to ignore all of those stupid ones. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 11:42:20 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 05, 2007, 07:42:17 AM

So are all channels in Canada able to be added or dropped individually, or are those ones different?  I really wish they would go with a "pay only for what you want" method in the US, as there are like 100 channels I would love to get rid of.  Instead I just programmed my favorites list to ignore all of those stupid ones. 

This is exactly why we don't have that choice here in the US - everybody would drop the channels they don't care about and the cable companies wouldn't get anywhere near as much cash from us a month.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 12:04:48 PM »

Teletoon ... NINJA SCROLL EVERY GODDAMNED SUNDAY NIGHT. Tongue

And Krono, you're not going to find any La Blue Girl on teh airwaves... back to the beaded room in your local movie store.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 05, 2007, 11:42:20 AM

This is exactly why we don't have that choice here in the US - everybody would drop the channels they don't care about and the cable companies wouldn't get anywhere near as much cash from us a month.

You might not get some of the channels you like either.  I suppose the USA, FX, and TNTs of the world would be fine but the more niche stuff depends on cable licensing fees to survive (their viewership is so low they can't charge much for ad rates).  In an a la carte system that would collapse and you would probably see 2/3 of the stations disappear. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 01:30:42 PM »

Re: G4- if you are interested in it's gaming content better just to watch Game Trailers.  It's far superior and free to boot!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 02:50:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 05, 2007, 01:30:42 PM

Re: G4- if you are interested in it's gaming content better just to watch Game Trailers.  It's far superior and free to boot!

+1.  I have G4 and barely ever watch it.  then again, I think I have 300 channels and only end up watching about 10 of them on any regular basis.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »

You only get this option in Canada with Satellite TV service, the cable service still only offers prepacked bundles containing multitude of channels. There's also limits on the number of low cost single selectable channels you can choose; 6 at 1.50/month then it jumps to 2.50.  You can however choose as many prepacked 5-6 channel bundes at $5/month as you wish, but obviously you'll get stuck with some unwanted channels. And if you do want multitudes of channels it's still cheaper to go with cable.
When it comes to TV I'm a selective viewer and not at all a browser; unless I know what I'm going to watch in advance I don't. So having a service that offers fewer channels but gives you more pick and choose options is a better choice for me. Without a government driven mandate for HDTV in Canada, the sattelite providers are doing their best to encourage it. With the SAT HTDV provider I'm using you can get all the CDN networks, all the US Networks, National Geographic, PBS plus a dedicated sports channel -TSN- all in HD for as little as $20 / month. If you want more than that the cost increases quickly; still cheaper than cable if you don't want to add a multitude of channels.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 05:02:34 PM »

I like G4....... ninja2 Ninja warrior rocks ninja .... I don't know if I would pay for it but I do enjoy it.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: