http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 10:06:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Page News  (Read 3394 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2005, 03:29:10 PM »

We work hard on the front page, with the discussion about implementing a solution to tie the forums and the front page better it was brought up that some folks want to know what is on the front page here in the forums.   Here is an example of why our front page is so popular and what you may be missing out on if you don't visit:

News for Today thus far:
# Ubi Talks to EA
# APB Announced
# Dark Mod Interview
# Yu-Gi-Oh! WC2K5 Ships
# Nanobreaker Ships
# Midway Signs Cartoons
# Louie Gets Stolen
# Midway and Adult Swim
# Popeye Coming to GBA
# Turbine Becomes Turbine
# Strategy First Joins Exant
# Napster To Go Has Woes
# WarioWare Touches Down
# Microsoft To Release IE7
# IGE President Interviewed
# Today's Wrap Up!

Reviews:
# Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
# Champions: Return To Arms

Screenshots:
# Popeye: Rush for Spinach
# Stolen
# Cold Winter
# PsychoToxic

Not too bad for 8:30am I'd say...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 03:47:15 PM »

Yeah!

YEAH!!!

*rubs his tired fingers*

:twisted:
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 04:10:48 PM »

And if you're browsing the forums all you have to do is click on the big graphic in the upper left corner that says Console Gold Forums and *vrrrooom* you're at the front page!  Sweetness!
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 05:06:34 PM »

I don't use the console gold front page for news because the navigation doesn't work when I shift-click on a headline to open in a new window.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 05:12:17 PM »

Are you using IE or something else?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 05:35:04 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
And if you're browsing the forums all you have to do is click on the big graphic in the upper left corner that says Console Gold Forums and *vrrrooom* you're at the front page!  Sweetness!

How Windows-like. (Pressing START to shut off the computer...  :rolleyes:)
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 05:41:55 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
I don't use the console gold front page for news because the navigation doesn't work when I shift-click on a headline to open in a new window.
That's odd - Shift-click works for me in both Firefox and IE.

And all the links are just plain vanilla a href - so there's no reason they shouldn't work for you
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 05:42:24 PM »

Hey, this is pretty cool!

Being able to click the Console Gold Forums graphic as a quick link to the front page is perfect.  Now I can hop back and forth effortlessly. Thanks!
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
We work hard on the front page, with the discussion about implementing a solution to tie the forums and the front page better it was brought up that some folks want to know what is on the front page here in the forums.

*sigh*

why even have a front page then?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 06:09:19 PM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
We work hard on the front page, with the discussion about implementing a solution to tie the forums and the front page better it was brought up that some folks want to know what is on the front page here in the forums.

*sigh*

Shhh you!  We're trying to direct forum traffic to the front page.  Not vice-versa.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 06:20:10 PM »

Oh not to worry, I won't be doing this very often and I'm not going to do the work to put up the links.  Just demonstrating why they should visit...

OR

They can continue to visit all these other pages that will get to the news we posted probably tomorrow or the next day.  *shrug*

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 06:30:54 PM »

Oh not to worry, I won't be doing this very often and I'm not going to do the work to put up the links.  Just demonstrating why they should visit...

OR

They can continue to visit all these other pages that will get to the news we posted probably tomorrow or the next day.  *shrug*

That's a little pompous, and blatantly untrue.  The other news sites I frequent, such as Voodoo Extreme and Blues News have all the news you posted now or previously, and often have more news besides.  I like the site but lying isn't a way to get readers.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 06:35:41 PM »

Whoa, E9. He's not lying about anything, just pointing out that we put a lot of work into the front page and some people in the forums seemed amazed that we have a front page let alone news on it. We do our very best to make sure everyone who comes to the site has all the news that's fit to print, and screenshots to boot. Use it, don't use it, we'll still keep doing it and hope that people like it. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 06:37:11 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"

How Windows-like. (Pressing START to shut off the computer...  :rolleyes:)

Makes about as much sense as clicking "Special" or an Apple icon to shut down :p
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 06:40:29 PM »

That's a little pompous, and blatantly untrue. The other news sites I frequent, such as Voodoo Extreme and Blues News have all the news you posted now or previously, and often have more news besides. I like the site but lying isn't a way to get readers.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen us have news days before other sites.  You can't count it on two hands thats for sure.  Its something I notice often as we post the news on Monday and then on Wednesday somebody posts Gamespots "New" news on that item.  Just reinforces that they didn't see us post it two days prior.  A good example from today might be the ATB announcement - we posted it before Yahoo news, but lo and behold, there it is with a link offsite.  *shrug*  I'm not saying I care where you read your news, in fact I read my news from several sites, but lets not pretend that we don't have a good amount of lurkers who never visit the front page or the massive game record database we have online.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 07:05:50 PM »

Judging by your example of APB, both VE and Blues News (who is notoriously NOT a console news site) had that posted yesterday.  Hell, even IGN had it up yesterday, and they're not exactly the kings of posting news.  If you're judging yourselves agains Yahoo, then sure, you probably post game news a day or two before them.  If you judge against actual games news sites, I think your statement is totally unfounded.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 07:20:00 PM »

I don't want to put words in Ron's mouth but I think the misunderstanding here is that some people think that Ron was saying that we always have News first which would be untrue.

Knowing Ron what I think he was expressing was the frustration that comes from seeing times when we post something on monday and then see someone post a link to the same news story on another site in the forums a few days later. It takes a lot of work and mental energy to keep any site fresh and full of new content and it can feel disheartening when you sometimes see things that might make you feel like all your work is not only unappreciated but totally ignored.  

The simple truth about gaming news sites is that sometimes we have stories first, sometimes other sites do - but most of the time, the majority of the sites are simply quoting the same news that we all get. It's a small niche that we're all trying to fill content with and there's not always a lot going on.  

Back in the day when I used to post news on a regular basis, I would check out what news the other sites had as well throughout the day to make sure I hadn't missed any - if i had I would post it but always gave due credit and link back to the site where I found it (i.e. saw this over on Evil Avatar... )  - because I like to keep my integrity.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 08:01:54 PM »

Knowing Ron what I think he was expressing was the frustration that comes from seeing times when we post something on monday and then see someone post a link to the same news story on another site in the forums a few days later. It takes a lot of work and mental energy to keep any site fresh and full of new content and it can feel disheartening when you sometimes see things that might make you feel like all your work is not only unappreciated but totally ignored.

El knows me well.  Thats exactly what I'm saying.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 08:17:24 PM »

I agree with Ron, by the way.  It's frustrating to spend a few hours postiing things then see in the forums, "Oh, hey, did you hear about X?"  Yeah.  I did.  I POSTED IT ON THE FRONT PAGE.  smile  

Or, "When's Game Y Coming out?"  Um.  Did you look in the release dates?  No?  *whap* biggrin

It's nothing personal, at all, just trying to point people at the front page in general smile
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 08:38:43 PM »

A good example from today might be the ATB announcement - we posted it before Yahoo news, but lo and behold, there it is with a link offsite.

Well in my defense 1 minute after I posted that I thought "Hey... maybe the guys here have something about it" and sure enough you did, and I linked to it... so... um... I suppose my point is "you're right". Tongue

If I had to guess about what the disconnect is it's that most of us are ex-GG'ers and we are just kind of used using the forum as a collection and discussion point for all the news we discover elsewhere... since GG itself didn't get updated too often.  smile

My 2 cents.
s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 02:38:16 PM »

I read the front page first.  It is good work.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2005, 02:45:17 PM »

Thank you very much smile
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2005, 03:13:09 PM »

I saw you guys talking about this in another thread before, and since then I have made it a habit to go to the front page more often.  

I am starting to realize that you guys do post a good amount of news but the format is very subdued.  I think that you need to rank the news that you get by importance or something like that.  New screens are cool, but not as important IMO than Ubi and EA talks.  So if I could suggest anything try working with the layout of the news....

EDIT: I wanted to add though that I think the forums are great.  Most of th epeople who come here care aboutt here posts and talk about cool things.  So, props on that one.  Even if they do die a bit on the weekend.  I am at work more than at home...:-)
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2005, 06:10:55 PM »

Looks like the Oddworld Stranger review is linked incorrectly.  Clicking the huge graphic takes me to the Axis and Allies review.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2005, 06:14:40 PM »

Thanks Kathode...mentioning it to Ron now.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2005, 06:15:49 PM »

Corrected.  Give it 15 minutes to refresh.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2005, 06:19:20 PM »

Admittedly I'm here for the forums before anything else, but I respect and commend the work that's done on the front page.  I do make an effort to check it roughly every three days, I'd say, and I'm always impressed with the quality and content.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2005, 06:41:41 PM »

Ron,

Love the frontpage, and think it is critical here. Thanks for the hard work.

Harry

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2005, 07:17:05 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Admittedly I'm here for the forums before anything else, but I respect and commend the work that's done on the front page.  I do make an effort to check it roughly every three days, I'd say, and I'm always impressed with the quality and content.

If you're only checking it every three days, then you're missing one if not two days worth of news in the process.  All you need to do is change your bookmark to the front page.  You can hit the forums tab and it pops you right in here, and you don't miss out on the news then.  

Y'know...I think KD needs to run a contest...and link to it from the front page.  :twisted:
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2005, 07:17:23 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

If you're only checking it every three days, then you're missing one if not two days worth of news in the process.  All you need to do is change your bookmark to the front page.  You can hit the forums tab and it pops you right in here, and you don't miss out on the news then.  

Y'know...I think KD needs to run a contest...and link to it from the front page.  :twisted:
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2005, 08:13:16 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Looks like the Oddworld Stranger review is linked incorrectly.  Clicking the huge graphic takes me to the Axis and Allies review.

It's a conspiracy (I wrote the review) slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: