http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:16:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fringe Premiere  (Read 10608 times)
theohall
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2011, 03:55:36 AM »

Nice turn this week. 
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »

Man, I'm not so sure.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm certainly interested in seeing where the weaponized Peter plotline goes, but I was more in a state of WTF than in a state of oh, that's cooooool after watching last Friday's episode. Kind of neat that Walter and Peter now have a secret that will force Walter to be discrete until he figures out what the heck to do, but I'm not a big fan of monster "just add water" personality changes for characters.

It could end up being awesome, but I can't say I'm very excited about this development, yet.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on January 31, 2011, 07:22:21 PM

Man, I'm not so sure.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm certainly interested in seeing where the weaponized Peter plotline goes, but I was more in a state of WTF than in a state of oh, that's cooooool after watching last Friday's episode. Kind of neat that Walter and Peter now have a secret that will force Walter to be discrete until he figures out what the heck to do, but I'm not a big fan of monster "just add water" personality changes for characters.

It could end up being awesome, but I can't say I'm very excited about this development, yet.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's not really a big stretch for Peter. Even since he learned that he's from the other dimension, he's been more apt to do things on his own, and he doesn't seem to trust anyone else with the doomsday device.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2011, 11:00:20 PM »

My take on the different Peter.

Spoiler for Hiden:
While Peter and Walter are thinking it's the machine that caused the change, I think they are wrong.  Peter had activated a part of the machine on the other side and it didn't change him.  IMO, this is the side effect from him drinking Walter's brain-growing concoction at the end of "The Firefly."  They just haven't realized it, yet.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »

hmmmm...that's interesting.

Spoiler for Hiden:
What about the "attack" by the watcher?  perhaps he did something to peter.

you gotta love a show that invites such theorizing.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2011, 02:03:36 AM »

Quote from: theohall on January 31, 2011, 11:00:20 PM

My take on the different Peter.

Spoiler for Hiden:
While Peter and Walter are thinking it's the machine that caused the change, I think they are wrong.  Peter had activated a part of the machine on the other side and it didn't change him.  IMO, this is the side effect from him drinking Walter's brain-growing concoction at the end of "The Firefly."  They just haven't realized it, yet.

Nice idea there

Spoiler for Hiden:
Considering that Walter requested Bell remove parts of his brain because he didnt like the man he was becoming, enhancing those areas could very well cause the ambivalent morality Peter seemed to have.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2011, 04:12:28 AM »

Well so far the switch to Fridays has been a big success for Fringe!  They were the big dog again in their time slot. 

http://blastr.com/2011/01/fringe-defeats-fridays-de.php

Now if only they can keep Peter from blowing everything up we might just get more Fringe next season ; )

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »

The only potential bummer is that so far Fringe hasn't been up against the usual Friday night shows. I think Supernatural and a couple others are still on hiatus, so those channels are showing reruns and less popular shows right now and giving Fringe less competition.

Don't think we can be totally confident in its success on Fridays until all the other channels resume their normal Friday night schedules.

*edited, because I was remembering the wrong competing show Tongue
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:11:51 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »

I hope the show continues to hang in there.  I was worried when they announced the Friday move that the end was certain after this season.  I want to see more bad Olivia...or as the characters in the show call her, Fauxlivia...which is an awesome nod to the fans.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2011, 11:17:06 PM »

Blown away by this week's ep!

Comments here (again tons of spoilers so don't read if you haven't watched it):

http://whatsonscrubz.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/richard-fringe-3-12-concentrate-and-ask-again/
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2011, 11:46:07 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 07, 2011, 11:17:06 PM

Blown away by this week's ep!

Comments here (again tons of spoilers so don't read if you haven't watched it):

http://whatsonscrubz.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/richard-fringe-3-12-concentrate-and-ask-again/

The comments in the last couple paragraphs are awesome!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »

I think this show is going to be my summer catch up project this year.  Netflix all the seasons and catch up.

of course last series I did a multi-season catchup for was Veronica Mars season 3......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2011, 02:58:20 PM »

Latest episode sets up the eventual confontration when Peter has to decide which world will survive, although it isn't done overtly.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Emotions can create/stop rifts.  And that is the crux of the Olivia/Fauxlivia/Peter relationship.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »

Quote from: theohall on February 20, 2011, 02:58:20 PM

Latest episode sets up the eventual confontration when Peter has to decide which world will survive, although it isn't done overtly.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Emotions can create/stop rifts.  And that is the crux of the Olivia/Fauxlivia/Peter relationship.

Nice catch Theo,  I believe you are correct.  It will be interesting to see how... 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Peters impending fatherhood tweaks this equation, now that Peter and Olivia have "sealed the deal"

On a side note on the SyFy web site there was a blurb from Pacey appealing to the fans of Fringe to start showing support.  It appears that Fox has put Fringe on notice and its future is looking a bit bleak. 

theohall

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »

The kicker - whenever that decision is made, the show ends.  Unless they drag out the destruction of the losing universe.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2011, 07:20:47 PM »

unfortunately, Fox has an easy out given that they can wrap up the overarching plotline pretty quickly should they decide to kill the show.  they can approve just enough episodes to finish out the story and shut it down in a way that they think will avoid angering too many fans, making the decision to stop production that much easier.  on the upside, those of us who enjoy the show can hopefully rest a little easier knowing that it shouldn't have too abrupt an end.  that said, i really look forward to watching Fringe every week and would love to see it continue for a while longer...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »

I really enjoy Fringe and will be sorry to see it go if Fox makes that decision.  On the plus side for Fringe it is holding up for its time slot and while its recently had a dip in numbers, pretty much every Friday nite show has as well.

One more thing about the most recent episode: 
Spoiler for Hiden:
They had a bit with Walter talking about the afterlife and how he didnt believe in it.  He then went on to explain how William Bell and him argued over it frequently.  Bell promised to contact Walter if he was to die first.  I have a feeling that this little bit may be a foreshadowing of Leonard Nimoy's return to Fringe.  Will we face the ghost of William Bell?

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2011, 02:40:51 AM »

Question - did they ever explain what happened to the William Bell from the alti-verse?
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 03:28:20 AM »

The alternate William Bell died in a car accident when he was young.  The William Bell from our side crossed over and stayed there, but maintained communication with Nina at Massive Dynamic.  He eventually sacrificed himself to allow Peter, Olivia and Walter to cross back, however, that was when Fauxlivia went back with Peter and Olivia was imprisoned.

So William Bell is dead in both universes now.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2011, 12:25:29 PM »

This show has been getting better and better, though an incredible, freaky pontential jump-the-shark moment happened about two weeks ago*, the proved last week that they can actually handle the story arc (it better be short, however).

The best news came today, though:  Fox has renewed the series for a full 22 episodes!  This is fantastic news, given the shift to the Friday Death Slot (be sure to watch the Death Slot video on the link's page to see the Fringe team's reaction to it at the time).

When this show first started, I was not into it.  Over time, it's grown on me quite a bit, and now I'm very fond of it.  I was impressed with Anna Torv out of the gate, but wasn't really amazed by her until we saw the alternate Olivia a character who has a subtle shift in energy and attitude which she has been able to pull off with seeming effortlessness.  You can always tell which one you're seeing (unless the story doesn't want you to).  Very impressive.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Of course I'm talking about the introduction of Bellivia.  I must have laughed at the audacity of that move for 5 solid minutes.  My wife had fallen asleep, but I saved it for her to see the next day.  Her reaction was exactly the same.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2011, 01:18:16 PM »

fantastic news indeed!  Its the best sci-fi based show currently running on tv these days and I would have been sorry to see it go.  Plus they need to keep the very talented John Noble working until he finally gets the emmy he deserves for his excellent work on Fringe.
Spoiler for Hiden:
and for the record, if it were me, this universe would be doomed.  Olivia is soooo much hotter as a red head!

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 25, 2011, 12:25:29 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Of course I'm talking about the introduction of Bellivia.  I must have laughed at the audacity of that move for 5 solid minutes.  My wife had fallen asleep, but I saved it for her to see the next day.  Her reaction was exactly the same.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The cadence and timber of her voice SHOULD make me laugh whenever she goes full Nimoy, but she does such a fantastic job and is so sincere while uttering those lines that I completely and utterly buy into it without a shred of doubt.  Fantastic tour de force performance on her her part!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »

Glad they renewed, even though I'm not enjoying season 3. I don't think splitting the storyline between the two worlds was a good idea. I feel the main storyline should be on our Earth.. and I find myself not caring when I see a whole episode set 'over there'. I'm wondering if there's some ulterior motive for the split this season. We don't see Peter now for episodes at a time. Olivia has been brainwashed to believe she's from over there and she's not as likeable nor as strong a character now. Oh well, I'm gonna slough thru this season and hope season 4 gets better.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »

I actually enjoy the episodes on alternate earth.  I think it's great that instead of having some nameless, faceless enemy that wants to do us harm for evil means, we're getting us...and by that I mean an earth filled with folks just trying to defend themselves from an enemy THEY think is just evil for evil's sake.  

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2011, 02:39:30 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 25, 2011, 02:16:04 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 25, 2011, 12:25:29 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Of course I'm talking about the introduction of Bellivia.  I must have laughed at the audacity of that move for 5 solid minutes.  My wife had fallen asleep, but I saved it for her to see the next day.  Her reaction was exactly the same.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The cadence and timber of her voice SHOULD make me laugh whenever she goes full Nimoy, but she does such a fantastic job and is so sincere while uttering those lines that I completely and utterly buy into it without a shred of doubt.  Fantastic tour de force performance on her her part!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just to make clear: I was not laughing at her performance, just that they had the balls to even try it.  The following week showed that she could pull if off effectively for a long period, though I think if it goes on too much longer, it's going to grow thin.

Quote from: hepcat on March 25, 2011, 02:30:08 PM

I actually enjoy the episodes on alternate earth.  I think it's great that instead of having some nameless, faceless enemy that wants to do us harm for evil means, we're getting us...and by that I mean an earth filled with folks just trying to defend themselves from an enemy THEY think is just evil for evil's sake.  

I agree.  PR, you're clearly not very far into the season.  Keep going.

Also, major kudos to the Fringe team for having three different openings based on the setting.  My favorite is, without question, the past.  The recent episode set there wasn't the strongest (as my wife said, "Too many coincidences" and straining of credibility)
Spoiler for Hiden:
how many people did Olivia actually meet in the past? - are we going to see youg Charlie soon?  - How long until Fringe Babies?
but it had a killer ending.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »

Great news!  I was worried this season would be it.

I actually prefer the red episodes because the cast dynamic is more interesting (it's better with Charlie).  Introducing the red side fringe team lead as a new character on our side last episode was a great move.  He adds a good dynamic, and offerred a much needed humor outlet for Peter.     
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 25, 2011, 02:19:56 PM

Glad they renewed, even though I'm not enjoying season 3. I don't think splitting the storyline between the two worlds was a good idea. I feel the main storyline should be on our Earth.. and I find myself not caring when I see a whole episode set 'over there'. I'm wondering if there's some ulterior motive for the split this season. We don't see Peter now for episodes at a time. Olivia has been brainwashed to believe she's from over there and she's not as likeable nor as strong a character now. Oh well, I'm gonna slough thru this season and hope season 4 gets better.

My wife is in this camp.  She didn't like the Alternate Universe episodes at all.

I actually enjoy the episodes on alternate earth.  I think it's great that instead of having some nameless, faceless enemy that wants to do us harm for evil means, we're getting us...and by that I mean an earth filled with folks just trying to defend themselves from an enemy THEY think is just evil for evil's sake.

I'm more of this camp.  Though the best AU episode was the one with the guy who caused chaos with a pencil that didn't have anything to do with this universe.

At first I wasn't very impressed with Anna Torv because she seemed way too stiff and emotionless.  She has definitely gown into the role, and she has done a spectacular job with all of the roles she has had to play within the series.

I'm happy to hear that they renewed this for another season.  While I hope that it won't be the last, at least they can wrap things up if it is.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on March 25, 2011, 04:04:06 PM

I actually prefer the red episodes because the cast dynamic is more interesting (it's better with Charlie).  Introducing the red side fringe team lead as a new character on our side last episode was a great move.  He adds a good dynamic, and offerred a much needed humor outlet for Peter.     

Yes, and I hope they make him a new "regular" now that he's been brought in to our side.  I also hope they resolve Olivia's current condition quickly...one more episode is going to be about my limit smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »

Quote from: ericb on March 25, 2011, 06:47:30 PM

Yes, and I hope they make him a new "regular" now that he's been brought in to our side.

They welcomed him to Fringe division and told him his security clearance got upgraded, so I assume he's formally a part of the team from now on.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »

I thought he was just temporarily assigned to the Fringe division.  At the end of the episode, his exchange with Peter seemed to indicate they would call him if and when they needed him.   icon_confused

On a side note, I really like that actor.  He's married to Bryce Dallas Howard and was on Dirty Sexy Money...a show that I will insist I've never seen...even if you threaten me with violence (but between you, me and the walls...he did an excellent job as the spoiled rich kid with a heart of gold).

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »

Great news!  I was worried this season would be it.

I actually prefer the red episodes because the cast dynamic is more interesting (it's better with Charlie).  Introducing the red side fringe team lead as a new character on our side last episode was a great move.  He adds a good dynamic, and offerred a much needed humor outlet for Peter.    

Yes, and I hope they make him a new "regular" now that he's been brought in to our side.  I also hope they resolve Olivia's current condition quickly...one more episode is going to be about my limit smile
Spoiler for Hiden:
That's funny, I was thinking the same exact thing.  While it was funny at first, and she does a pretty good job channeling Nimoy, I'd like to see her back to normal. 

Could you imagine what Anna Torv must have thought after reading that script?  Wait, you want me to impersonate Leonard Nimoy for 2 episodes.  Are you serious? 

That took a lot of courage to try that.  Now please return her to normal. icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 04:03:31 AM by Roguetad » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »

Not reading much of the thread due to potential spoilers - but this is into what..3rd or 4th season now? If so, I will definitely keep picking up the dvd's :-)

A new one
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2011, 09:07:20 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 25, 2011, 07:59:11 PM

Not reading much of the thread due to potential spoilers - but this is into what..3rd or 4th season now? If so, I will definitely keep picking up the dvd's :-)
3rd season.  Renewed for a 4th.  smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2011, 10:01:59 PM »

Quote from: theohall on March 25, 2011, 09:07:20 PM

Quote from: Razgon on March 25, 2011, 07:59:11 PM

3rd season.  Renewed for a 4th.  smile

Awesome - Thanks a lot!

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2011, 10:03:36 PM »

Speaking of spoilers, roguetad, you may want to drop your post inside of one!

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2011, 04:05:12 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 25, 2011, 10:03:36 PM

Speaking of spoilers, roguetad, you may want to drop your post inside of one!
Done!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 25, 2011, 07:03:53 PM

Yes, and I hope they make him a new "regular" now that he's been brought in to our side.

They welcomed him to Fringe division and told him his security clearance got upgraded, so I assume he's formally a part of the team from now on.

There was a bit on the SYFY web site a few weeks ago that they planned on adding a new regular to the fringe team and added that the character was an FBI agent.  Looks like he may be a regular now.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »

Cool.  I really do like that actor.  I think he's a good fit.  However, they need to highlight Astrid more...much, much more.  meeeeooowww...   smirk

theohall

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2011, 03:33:44 PM »

I thought her name was Astral, or Asterisk or something.  It's hard to remember.  slywink
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2011, 09:27:52 PM »

Quote from: theohall on March 27, 2011, 03:33:44 PM

I thought her name was Astral, or Asterisk or something.  It's hard to remember.  slywink

Well, Walter calling her a new name every week probably isn't helping.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: