http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 05:02:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fringe Premiere  (Read 11623 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »

Quote from: walTer on September 19, 2008, 03:24:57 PM

Firefly was a great show from episode 1 on.

the problem was that they didn't start Firefly with episode 1...skipped to episode 3 and confused everyone instead...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »

That Anna Torv's pretty bland though. I mean in real life she's probably awesome but as Agent Dunham in Fringe? Bland.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 05:55:08 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on September 19, 2008, 05:14:31 PM

That Anna Torv's pretty bland though. I mean in real life she's probably awesome but as Agent Dunham in Fringe? Bland.

I think I mentioned it before, but I can't decide whether she's an ugly cate blanchette or a hot tilda swinson....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »

I think I mentioned it before, but I can't decide whether she's an ugly cate blanchette or a hot tilda swinson....

My only problem with her is that she suffers from Renee Zellweger Syndrome, a condition characterized by her face appearing to constantly be smelling something slightly repugnant.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2008, 07:37:41 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 19, 2008, 06:01:56 PM

My only problem with her is that she suffers from Renee Zellweger Syndrome, a condition characterized by her face appearing to constantly be smelling something slightly repugnant.

I think she did smile in the pilot and it didn't appear like she was force fed lemons but other than that I'd say you are spot on.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2008, 12:29:41 AM »

finally got around to watching the second episode last night, and found it totally forgettable.  probably about the only reason I'll end up recording it it to catch the end of House in case it runs over like it did this week.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 12:46:39 AM »

I'm still in.  I didn't see anything to push me one way or another.

The doctor screwed up the Fibonacci numbers

He skipped the number 5 in his initial run.  After being interrupted, he started hopping around.

This is something I did by hand back when I was a kid, well before it was featured in a story involving a parrot on Mathnet.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:48:25 AM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 07:59:32 PM »

I'm starting to think the writers on this series are in a contest to see who can come up with the wildest plot contrivance.  There have been three episodes so far, and each one has followed exactly the same formula:

1) Something Weird happens where people die.

2) The team wastes twenty minutes investigating the Weird Incident until the mad scientist they have on staff suddenly remembers that he was personally responsible for inventing it in the first place.

3) The investigation is stymied until the mad scientist conveniently remembers an equally bizarre, though completely unrelated Weird Thing that he also invented, allowing them to magically catapult past whatever hurdles were in their way.

4) Points 2 and 3 combine to open up a plot hole large enough for Blonde Cop to reach through and stop the bad guys.  The case is closed and all of the incredibly valuable scientific leaps used to solve the case are conveniently forgotten about so they won't interfere with any future episodes.

Fringe is still far more watchable than, say, ABC's horrid show Big Shots, but the writing so far has been remarkably lazy.

-Autistic Angel
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »

I agree, Angel. I thought this show would be right up my alley, but it's starting to make the X-Files look like a documentary. I can suspend my disbelief to a point, but it's getting almost comical. I actually said a similar thing you mentioned to my wife last night - "I think they are intentionally trying to come up with the most far-fetched plotlines they can possibly imagine just to see if they can get away with it."

I was pretty let down with Episode 3, because you're right - the formula is starting to become really noticeable. There are some formula shows I don't mind (House, for instance), because the characters are so great. But the characters in this show don't have the strength to override it for me.

I still plan on giving it some time, but my expectations have been steadily dwinding.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2008, 06:18:33 PM »

I enjoyed episode 3.  I'm liking this show quite a bit.  It's silly, but I'm enjoying the characters.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2008, 07:20:01 PM »

Well, I felt ep. 3 was a bit of a letdown, to be honest.  I'm still sticking around since it may yet find its footing, though.

The thing that ticked me off was the doctor's suddenly remembering that he was the guy who worked on the chubby guy all those years ago...and that he tore out a section of his wall at home to store a device used in the experiment. 

I defended this type of story device for the first two episodes since those could be explained (albeit thinly) by coincidence.  However, this past episode it was just sloppy.

I hope this isn't an indication of how future stories are going to play out.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »

I'm enjoying the characters on the show quite a bit, but have to agree that the plot devices are wearing thin. 

However, I believe an excellent drinking game can be built around the show:

Every time the doctor uses the word "posited" take a shot.  You'll be drunk in the first 5 minutes guaranteed.   

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »

Anyone still watching this?

Was it just more or did it seem like the cast/crew in this last episode were totally rejuvenated? The acting seemed really good with the actors looking very comfortable with the roles they were playing. Great story too along with some nice dialogue - loved the scene where Peter got the bank name out of Walter. The science in this episode didn't seem so far fetched as previous episodes either and I think that, combined with the consequences of using the fringe technology, helped.

I dunno who had a hand in putting together this episode but they need to keep it up for the next season. I hope this is a turning point in the the show where they finally figured out what doesn't work. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »

I hadn't watched any of the episodes yet, so I deleted the whole season off my tivo. Maybe I will check it out during the summer, although these days I have felt more like playing games than watching tv, and I've got enough Law & Orders to keep me busy without needing new series smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2008, 08:41:40 PM »

I'm still kinda watching it, usually only half watching while playing on the PC, but they've been showing new episodes kinda inconsistently.  I wonder how it's doing ratings wise.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2008, 08:43:36 PM »

Walter FTW

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2008, 08:51:25 PM »

I wonder how it's doing ratings wise.

I've read that it's doing fairly well, probably boosted by the House lead-in. I'll be curious to see how it holds up when House moves to Monday nights in January, assuming it stays put on Tuesdays.

I do know that it's being slaughtered by The Mentalist, but then again a lot of new shows are.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2008, 10:59:18 PM »

I'm pissed that they keep with the skipping weeks at a time between new episode.  Heroes, Lost, Fringe, and now this show doing it.  Hate that.  No new show this week either.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2008, 11:32:25 PM »

i've been watching, but they haven't had a new episode for a couple weeks now.  i can't say that i've really been missing the show though.  while the last episode was a little better, the show is still following an identical format for every episode...strange event occurs, Walter remembers old research that explains strange event, prior research is used to stop bad guys.  while the acting and production quality are good, the formulaic episode structure is getting old.  i may not keep watching much longer if they don't change things up and progress the overall story arc soon...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2008, 05:33:13 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on December 17, 2008, 10:59:18 PM

I'm pissed that they keep with the skipping weeks at a time between new episode.  Heroes, Lost, Fringe, and now this show doing it.  Hate that.  No new show this week either.

Uh, Lost hasn't done that since the second season. That's why the show now starts in January instead of September.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »

Quote from: disarm on December 17, 2008, 11:32:25 PM

i've been watching, but they haven't had a new episode for a couple weeks now.  i can't say that i've really been missing the show though.  while the last episode was a little better, the show is still following an identical format for every episode...strange event occurs, Walter remembers old research that explains strange event, prior research is used to stop bad guys.  while the acting and production quality are good, the formulaic episode structure is getting old.  i may not keep watching much longer if they don't change things up and progress the overall story arc soon...

Agreed. I wanted to get into this show, but just couldn't do it. If I hear good things maybe I'll try to get the DVD when it comes out and catch up.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2009, 06:35:27 AM »

looks like a Star Trek cast member will be making an appearance in the finale.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »

Wow  this was the only thread on Fringe I could find through the sites search.  So arise dead thread!

Just had to post this to say that last nites episode, which was all kinds of awesome has given me my new favorite word.  vagenda!

This show has become absolutely one of the best on TV.  John Noble deserves an Emmy for his dual role as Walter/Walternate,  hell,  he deserves one for Walter alone.
If you gave up on this show, my advice to you is to catch back up with it because it is a blast to watch.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2010, 09:48:57 PM »

Last night's episode was great.  Fringe is my favorite show on tv right now.  A small part of that is due to Anna Torv, who plays Olivia.  She is just all kinds of awesome.  Peter got to spend time with alt Olivia...bastard.  He should be celebrating, not all moody and pissed.  She's like the moral free version of Olivia.  Unfortunately, based on the ratings, not a lot of other people beside the 2 of us watch the show. icon_frown       
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2010, 10:16:27 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 03, 2010, 09:48:57 PM

Last night's episode was great.  Fringe is my favorite show on tv right now.  A small part of that is due to Anna Torv, who plays Olivia.  She is just all kinds of awesome.  Peter got to spend time with alt Olivia...bastard.  He should be celebrating, not all moody and pissed.  She's like the moral free version of Olivia.  Unfortunately, based on the ratings, not a lot of other people beside the 2 of us watch the show. icon_frown       

I love the show...everything about the 2nd season is improved (compared to the first) but I only watch it on hulu.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2010, 12:08:39 AM »

It's my favorite show on TV too. Watch it every week.

The writing on the show is a step above pretty much everything else on right now. They start plot lines and then actually give some damned resolution on them in reasonable amounts of time. Other shows drag the most basic of storylines on for a full season or more while this show wraps up multiple storylines in a single season each in a satisfying manner. So great.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:10:58 AM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2010, 12:52:23 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 03, 2010, 09:48:57 PM

Unfortunately, based on the ratings, not a lot of other people beside the 2 of us watch the show. icon_frown       

We get it in the UK, where it has something of a cult following, I gather.  My girlfriend discovered it recently and she's absolutely hooked.  She loves it!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2010, 01:07:14 AM »

i've been watching Fringe from the start and it's turned out to be a great show.  the storyline they've taken on this season is one of the more original things i can remember in recent years, and the cast members all do a fantastic job of telling the tale.  it really would be a shame if Fringe doesn't get ratings good enough to keep it on the air for another season...but Fox does have a way of ruining good scifi...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »

tonight's is the first episode in the 'Friday Night Death Slot', and ironically enough it's called:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Firefly

wonder if they did that on purpose.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 21, 2011, 07:50:32 PM

tonight's is the first episode in the 'Friday Night Death Slot', and ironically enough it's called:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Firefly

wonder if they did that on purpose.

Yep... I love 'Fringe'. I sure as hell ain't staying home on Friday night just to watch it. F'ng Fox!  mad
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »

Quote from: disarm on December 04, 2010, 01:07:14 AM

i've been watching Fringe from the start and it's turned out to be a great show.  the storyline they've taken on this season is one of the more original things i can remember in recent years, and the cast members all do a fantastic job of telling the tale.  it really would be a shame if Fringe doesn't get ratings good enough to keep it on the air for another season...but Fox does have a way of ruining good scifi...

Fox does have a well-deserved reputation in that regard, but I'm not sure you can blame them for Fringe.  The reality is that the ratings have dropped every year, have never been that good, and until now the show has been consistently scheduled and reasonably promoted.  Moving it to Friday night is very likely a deadly move, but it's essentially their way of getting it out of more valuable air space while at least getting some value out of it.  

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2011, 01:39:53 AM »

Honestly I think in this case moving Fringe to Friday may be a good thing and may keep the show on the air.
 First off they had it in the 9pm death slot on Thursday nite.  Being a genre show it didnt stand a chance there, the other networks have serious heavy hitters in that spot.  Actually though it was reported that Fringe faired better than expected on Thurday.  Now that its moved to Fridays, the ratings expectations are greatly reduced.  If Fringe can carry close to what it held on Thurday, it will almost definitely be renewed.  Some kind of a drop is expected but I hope it does well.  Its a great show and one of the few I watch weekly without fail.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:23 AM »

tonight's episode was awesome.  the intricacy of the whole concept was really cool and kept me guessing from beginning to end.  in my opinion, this episode was one of the show's best in recent memory.  it's great to have Fringe back and i just hope it sticks around despite the shift to Friday.

i also have to give major credit to Christopher Lloyd for doing an awesome job tonight.  i can't remember the last time i saw him in anything new, so his appearance tonight was a nice treat and he played the role incredibly well.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »

And of course Christopher Lloyd's character got involved with Fringe because of time travel. Figures. slywink

There was a nice little Twin Peaks reference too. Walter used glasses with one red and one blue lens, and mentioned that he'd received them from a Dr. Jacoby. In Twin Peaks, Dr. Lawrence Jacoby used similar glasses.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2011, 02:22:57 AM »

Damn that was a good episode! The song Walter plays at the end there, awesome.  Christoper Lloyd was excellent and I have to say once again,  how can John Noble not have an Emmy already for this role?  He is just fantastic.  I also lol at his rename for Astrid this episode.  I really hope Fringe survives to see another season, its one of the best shows on the air.  I wish they would do with Fringe as they did with Lost and give it a a few more years with a definite end date so they can do this thing right.  It would really suck to have it end before they can run the story line to its conclusion. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2011, 04:47:12 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 22, 2011, 12:15:30 PM

And of course Christopher Lloyd's character got involved with Fringe because of time travel. Figures. slywink

There was a nice little Twin Peaks reference too. Walter used glasses with one red and one blue lens, and mentioned that he'd received them from a Dr. Jacoby. In Twin Peaks, Dr. Lawrence Jacoby used similar glasses.

I had just posted about this at OO and was coming over here to mention it.  Glad I'm not the only Twin Peaks fan around. 

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2011, 08:06:16 AM »

I'd like to take a moment to point out that Fringe's ratings actually went up slightly relative to how it was performing before the break.

May be some hope afterall.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »

Not Fringe related but Twin Peaks related:  if you were a fan of Twin Peaks you must watch the homage episode Psych did recently, it was hilarious.  It does have a Fringe tie in as well, the guy who plays Walternates pet scientist ( the one who wanted to do a live autopsy on Olivia ) has a role in the Psych episode.  It also includes a number of actors from Twin Peaks including Ray Wise who is his usual hilarious self.  Its on Hulu and called Dual Spires. 

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2011, 05:38:14 AM »

Awesome news!  SyFy has reported that the retirement of Leonard Nimoy was greatly exaggerated.  It appears the he is going to make a return to Fringe!   http://blastr.com/2011/01/leonard-nimoy-reveals-wil.php

Fringe actually had an slight increase in its ratings on its Friday debut and increased by 12% in the key 18-49 demographic. It was in fact the evenings top rated show for the 18-49 demo.  Very good new indeed!

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »

I'm definitely on the bandwagon for Fringe, which I think may just be the best show on TV right now.  The funny thing is I find myself so completely absorbed by the "soap" plotline between Olivia and Pacey that I sometimes lose sight of the main plot, which I might add has been incredibly compelling ever since they went full bore on the alternate universe.  I really think Anna Torv deserves an Emmy/Globe or whatever award for her performance this year.  I remember a scene in one of the prior episodes where she had no lines, but just the looks on her face as they transformed from one realization to the next were so heartbreaking.  So so good.  This is the best love triangle ever, with your love interest and you vs. your alternate self lol.  Doesn't get more complicated or difficult than that.   

P.S.  And yes, Pacey is hawt now  icon_twisted   Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: