http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friend is on the new Survivor  (Read 4836 times)
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »

So here's the scoop.

"Ace is just a douchebag. He's a decent guy. He's not a jerk, he isn't mean. He's loyal to his friends etc etc... but he's really really annoying."

When I asked him why they didn't vote him off then and there, he said basically Paloma sealed the deal on herself. She would basically do nothing around the camp. She'd sit in the hut while they were all fishing and doing stuff. He dragged her out to fish and she's just half-heartedly dangle her line in the water with no actual effort to catch anything.

He said "Voting Ace off was just a matter of time - he was annoying everyone. It was inevitable." Essentially so long as their 4-person alliance was strong, then they held a majority in the voting from that point on no matter what Ace did. This way they got to use him in the physical challenges for another few weeks. I think Sugar is the next to go from their team, but I can't guarantee it because he's doing a good job of not letting things slip.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2008, 07:06:47 PM »

Quote from: Crux on October 08, 2008, 06:56:09 PM

he's doing a good job of not letting things slip.

I hear waterboarding is effective... I'm just sayin.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on October 08, 2008, 07:06:47 PM

Quote from: Crux on October 08, 2008, 06:56:09 PM

he's doing a good job of not letting things slip.

I hear waterboarding is effective... I'm just sayin.

Apparently not as effective as one might think...  ninja
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2008, 12:30:12 PM »

Shit. So Marcus got voted off last night, despite being in one of the strongest positions in the game. There was 10 people left, and he was in an alliance of six. One of the six was a bit of a crazy bitch. They randomly split the 10 people into new tribes of five each, and he got stuck on the one with the crazy bitch. She flipped on him and out he went. Sucks more than anything because he played the game well up until the end... just shouldn't have trusted Krystal. Thing is the Kenny guy Marc mentioned who is Krystal's cousin is a really, really, really good guy. Completely trustworthy. He made the mistake of thinking Krystal could be trusted too because she was related to him frown
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 01:39:13 PM »

Quote from: Crux on November 07, 2008, 12:30:12 PM

Shit. So Marcus got voted off last night, despite being in one of the strongest positions in the game. There was 10 people left, and he was in an alliance of six. One of the six was a bit of a crazy bitch. They randomly split the 10 people into new tribes of five each, and he got stuck on the one with the crazy bitch. She flipped on him and out he went. Sucks more than anything because he played the game well up until the end... just shouldn't have trusted Krystal. Thing is the Kenny guy Marc mentioned who is Krystal's cousin is a really, really, really good guy. Completely trustworthy. He made the mistake of thinking Krystal could be trusted too because she was related to him frown

While it did suck, I felt there were things Marcus could have done to prevent whats-her-name from flipping (he might have and it was just not shown). A true player would have convinced her she was going to be in top 3 with him (i.e. lie his ass off). He would lay out "the plan" that resulted in her being in the top 3 stressing the "logic" of it. She would have bit it hook, line, and sinker imho.

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 03:44:08 PM »

Rock and a hard place, man. Susan was the swing vote. And there just isn't a plausible scenario by which you convince Susan she's in the top 3. She's physically weak, not trustworthy... there's just nothing to keep her around except luck and circumstance. Both of those happened this week. And Krystal... she's not an idiot. The 'core' Fang members all knew they were in a minority, and they had to flip someone from Kota to have any chance of making it. This was really their one shot at it, and they took it. Really what it came down to was a confluence of circumstance, and Marcus' unwillingness to sell people out. The thing I love about Marcus is, he'd rather be honest and lose a million bucks than be a backstabbing, lying son of a bitch to win it.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 06:00:26 PM »

ARRRRRGHHHH!!!!!  So as usual my favorite hunks get voted off quick, and in this case back to back weeks, leaving me with a hodge podge of people to root for.  I guess I will go with Charlie now, he's pretty damn cute.

Marcus, oh my precious Marcus, for a moment last night I thought you might go all the way to the finals and actually be one of the very few "good guy" winners.  Then as the evening progressed, and overconfidence seemed to overcome strategy, and the vaunted "twist" came about, I realized it was looking bad. 

Now I know it's always easy to be armchair quarterback from home and the editing can be manipulated, but from what we saw it really looked like Marcus just lost his edge and got far too overconfident.  Even with the new split, had he stuck to his plan and worked with Susie instead of Krystal, I think he would have been fine.  He is shown agreeing that Susie is a nut and unstable, and then he still tries to play both sides of the fence WITH her?  Makes no sense.  If he really wanted or felt he needed Krystal as a better #6, just take the psycho out first so she's not a threat.  Again, I don't know if it was edited that way but Krystal specifically says she won't write Kenny's name down, and what does he do?  Asks her to vote Kenny instead of Psycho Suzie!!  Yes I realize from a challenge standpoint she looked like a non-issue and Kenny is a much bigger threat strategically, but that's exactly the kind of overconfident attitude that has cost many a survivor a million bucks.  How many times has an unstable swing vote backstabbed a stronger player?  When you have the numbers, play the numbers.  It's boring but it works.  Trying to manipulate too many people for what might happen 2 or 3 steps down the line is a recipe for disaster.

So as usual, it makes for less eye candy for me but a much more interesting game.  The Power 6 is now a Weak 4 vs. an Unsteady 5.  Kenny is showing signs of overconfidence (from the previews) that may mean he is the next big target.  Sugar is easily manipulated and go either way, probably Matty as well.  Suzie is a flake and can go either way.  Randy is also unreliable.  All the alliances are unsteady, though I think Charlie and his chick are fairly tight (also with Bob), as are Kenny/Krystal.  Should be an interesting finish.

Another aside, why didn't Sugar just grab the frickin immunity idol?  I realize there was a peer pressure/target kind of thing going on, but holding TWO idols?  That's some power in the game, even if everyone knows you have both.  At bare minimum it guarantees you a spot in the final 8.  It forces people to either allow you to go all the way to the final 4, or keep trying to force both idols out.  Each time they play for the idol, it's a crapshoot who may be the alternate. 
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 06:34:46 PM »

Crux why don't you get him to get an account here and share some thoughts..you know, if he wants to.  I don't guess he knows who won yet and couldn't share even if he did (the finales are always live, right?).

Wife and I really like Marc and wish he'd have made it further but that's the way it sometimes works on that show..the people you like get voted off regardless of their apparent safe position and the douchbags manage to last way longer than they should.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 07:04:03 PM »

Quote from: Crux on November 07, 2008, 03:44:08 PM

Rock and a hard place, man. Susan was the swing vote. And there just isn't a plausible scenario by which you convince Susan she's in the top 3. She's physically weak, not trustworthy... there's just nothing to keep her around except luck and circumstance.

I disagree. There are several angles you can work. You want your "good friends" on the jury instead of the top 3. You don't want player x, y, or z in the final three because the jury likes them better than you, you want x, y, z out because they are a threat in physical/mental challenges, etc, etc. Lots of ways to twist it around where it would seem plausible enough for Susan to buy it, especially since she seemed open to any idea at that point in time. Heck, it might not even have to be a lie, she would make a good person to take to the final 3 because she would probably not get any jury votes.

As for the immunity idol at the feast, I really wish one of the old Fang had picked it up. They had a lot to gain and little to lose with just going ahead and grabbing it. If the other tribe wanted to force it out, it opens up a lot of other options when it comes time to vote due to them needing to split votes, because how could the power 6 have split their votes to flushing out the idol without putting one of the own members at risk? (had the tribes not be re-divided)

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 07:27:59 PM »

Quote from: Toe on November 07, 2008, 07:04:03 PM

Quote from: Crux on November 07, 2008, 03:44:08 PM

Rock and a hard place, man. Susan was the swing vote. And there just isn't a plausible scenario by which you convince Susan she's in the top 3. She's physically weak, not trustworthy... there's just nothing to keep her around except luck and circumstance.

I disagree. There are several angles you can work. You want your "good friends" on the jury instead of the top 3. You don't want player x, y, or z in the final three because the jury likes them better than you, you want x, y, z out because they are a threat in physical/mental challenges, etc, etc. Lots of ways to twist it around where it would seem plausible enough for Susan to buy it, especially since she seemed open to any idea at that point in time. Heck, it might not even have to be a lie, she would make a good person to take to the final 3 because she would probably not get any jury votes.

As for the immunity idol at the feast, I really wish one of the old Fang had picked it up. They had a lot to gain and little to lose with just going ahead and grabbing it. If the other tribe wanted to force it out, it opens up a lot of other options when it comes time to vote due to them needing to split votes, because how could the power 6 have split their votes to flushing out the idol without putting one of the own members at risk? (had the tribes not be re-divided)

I totally agree with everything Toe wrote.  In fact Susan would be the BEST candidate right now to take to the final 2 or 3 because NO ONE would vote for her lol.  It's interesting her goal seems set at making the 3, as if she knows exactly she has no chance to actually win. 

And yeah, anyone could have grabbed that idol.  There's nothing saying whoever grabbed it couldn't give it to someone else - just having it out there in the Fang hands is a massive threat and in some sense was a stupid/risky power play by Marcus.  Granted it worked at the time, but it could easily have backfired.  I still maintain if Sugar grabbed it, she could have parlayed that into any number of scenarios to screw the power 6 up.  She could tell everyone she had both, then they'd have no idea if/who she might give it to, or whether she'd just play it herself.  So many options as Toe mentioned, to split votes and take out whoever they wanted.  Of course in the end with the twist they knocked out Marcus anyway so it worked in their advantage, but still, can you imagine if Sugar had grabbed it and things still played out like this?  She'd have almost guaranteed final 4 status.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »

Grrrr, of course the moment I choose to root for someone they get voted off.  At least as he said, he now gets to stalk I mean hang out with hottie Marcus the rest of the time smile  They are definitely the cutest couple on the show.

All that's left is a bunch of ugly, mean-spirited people, I pretty much hate them all but am such a tool I will watch to the end.

Kenny - I should favor him since he's Asian and a gamer, but he is starting to irritate me with over-confidence and plus he took out all my hotties.  That his cheap/simple ploy of telling everyone Charlie ran the show worked so easily just proves how simple minded the remaining cast is

Randy - could he be more racist and annoying?  ugh

Krystal - I kind of liked her at first, now she just annoys me with her constant need for attention and bickering

Susie - yuck x 10

Matty - tool x 10

Corrinne - she seems like a nice girl but what a bitch.  I can't believe how mean she was in her comments about Sugar. 

Bob - give him credit for making it this far at his age

Sugar - she's sweet and cute but the crying is getting old.  She's about the last one I kind of hope wins, but I can't say I care that much one way or another.

Looking at these Loser 8, logically it seems like the 5 have the numbers to remove Randy, Corrinne and Bob before they start feasting on each other.  After that, who knows.  Of course logic seems to defy most of these folk so who knows.  Sugar having the immunity idol and everyone knowing may make for some interesting gameplay, or may make for absolutely nothing.

All in all, it's hard for me to predict much since I dislike most of these cast members so much lol.  If I had to guess.... final 3:  Kenny, Crystal and Suzie.  Kenny wins as the best choice between these 3 horrible choices, claiming his growth and mastermind-ship of the game in his speech.  Audience yawns, nerdy Asian gamers rejoice!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »

You have to give Bob credit for the awesomest looking fake idol ever. Hell, it looks better than Sugar's!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »

Marc was up in NY last weekend doing interviews with some tv/radio folks. Not sure when it all will air, but I imagine it was stuff related to the finale.

Sorry to see Charlie go - it still cracks me up how he's practically drooling over Marcus, and Marcus is most definitely not gay. I really dislike Crystal with a passion - she is such a lying biatch. "I'm honest, what you see is what you get". Somehow I doubt Marc thinks that is true since he was honest with her and she backstabbed him.

Kenny also pisses me off - he's got a little bit of a psychotic, smug glint in his eye these days. This is kind of a substitute for climbing a bell tower for him. Revenge of the nerds!

Sugar = so clueless it isn't even funny.

Randy = major emotional issues and doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

Corinne = loyal bitch. Doesn't take much to piss her off and then the psycho in her comes out.

Matty = Decent guy, just way too fucking stupid to realize what he's doing. He's one of those guys that wants to trust everyone, but doesn't have the savvy to know who can and cannot be trusted.

Gotta love Bob. Making the fake idol was freaking genius. I wonder if it actually works for him.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2008, 09:26:01 PM »

Quote from: Crux on November 14, 2008, 07:50:11 PM

This is the one thing I'm wondering about.  Is she truly clueless or is she being edited that way, and then in the endgame she'll turn around and not be as clueless as we thought.  Every now and again she's shown glimmers of thought, which make me think she may be playing a ditz, and then edited further to look clueless and crybaby.  With idol in hand, she can make it to the final 4 or 3 if she is smart.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2008, 10:03:59 PM »

She was smart enough to get rid of English Accent Guy and to find the idol when Needy Lawyer Guy couldn't.

Don't be dissin' Sugar!  icon_lol

final 3:  Kenny, Crystal and Suzie
That would be friggin' horrible.

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on November 14, 2008, 10:03:59 PM

She was smart enough to get rid of English Accent Guy and to find the idol when Needy Lawyer Guy couldn't.

True. But it is hard to tell from the editing just how much of that was her being clever, or her being persuaded by whichever way the wind blows.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »

Jesus your friend is hot!! And I feel perfectly comfortable with my heterosexuality in saying that.  That's how hot he is.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2008, 04:47:16 AM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on November 14, 2008, 10:03:59 PM

I disagree. Ace was a snake, but he was loyal to her, she had someone, even if he was using her. Now she is completely on her own and not part of either alliance so will be kicked out when it's convenient for them. I think she was better off with Ace.

And she didn't do much for me at first, but damn she is hot now. It's not that she lost weight, it's the whole helpless girl thing I think. But sometimes when she smiles, I just melt.

I hate the way this season is playing out. I kind of do like Kenny, but the rest of his alliance is annoying as hell. They can't lose at this point though.

And as much as I hate to say it, I am very heterosexual, but the friend guy is hot. He's the kind of guy you hang out with just because he is so cool and you hope to maybe get some of his rejects.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2008, 04:42:34 PM »

Just wanted to bring this back up to say that my faith in Sugar has been vindicated!

icon_biggrin

-Randy

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on December 12, 2008, 04:42:34 PM

Just wanted to bring this back up to say that my faith in Sugar has been vindicated!

icon_biggrin

-Randy

Is she sincere, or can she tear up at will and fake out anyone she wants?

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2008, 07:33:16 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on December 14, 2008, 05:33:23 PM

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on December 12, 2008, 04:42:34 PM

icon_biggrin

-Randy

Is she sincere, or can she tear up at will and fake out anyone she wants?

No idea, but she destroyed Mr. Mastermind Kenny in the span of two shows. And she's cute as a button. Some hilarious stuff going on.

-Randy

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2008, 10:43:27 PM »

Tonight is the finale!! Don't miss it.

Not to mention the reunion - when all the hot women are cleaned up and looking good.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2008, 12:44:39 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on December 14, 2008, 10:43:27 PM

Not to mention the reunion - when all the hot women are cleaned up and looking good.

I think Sugar looks better in the wild than she does cleaned up.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2008, 08:04:35 AM »

Quote from: Lee on December 15, 2008, 12:44:39 AM

Agreed.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »

Dunno...she looked pretty nice last night.

Bob winning was good. Sue getting 3 votes was absurd. Corinne may be the biggest bitch on the planet. Randy needs to seek psychological help. Seriously, just wtf was up with those two?

-Randy (the sane one)

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2008, 06:55:50 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on December 15, 2008, 02:55:00 PM

Dunno...she looked pretty nice last night.

Bob winning was good. Sue getting 3 votes was absurd. Corinne may be the biggest bitch on the planet. Randy needs to seek psychological help. Seriously, just wtf was up with those two?

-Randy (the sane one)

Yeah, I think she looks pretty good regardless. I was also a bit suprised that Sue got 3 votes, thats probably the most a coat-tailer has ever gotten, heh. Corinne is a total bitch I agree. We should all send her some "haha" cards when one of her parents die, although she would probably just shrug it off anyway. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »

Quote from: Toe on December 15, 2008, 06:55:50 PM

Yeah, I think she looks pretty good regardless. I was also a bit suprised that Sue got 3 votes, thats probably the most a coat-tailer has ever gotten, heh. Corinne is a total bitch I agree. We should all send her some "haha" cards when one of her parents die, although she would probably just shrug it off anyway. 

Yeah, Sugar looked gorgeous all dolled up, kind of a cross between Christina Aguilera and Marilyn Monroe, but prettier.  Or something.

I thought Corinne and Randy were pretty amusing all in all, just attention junkies in a different form.  Actually the sarcastic style of their "humor" or comments is not too unlike many forum goers so...

As much as I enjoyed Sugar in the past few weeks, and after finding out about her father (I missed that key detail) I can certainly understand the crying a lot better, I think Marcus' comments on her were the most telling for why she didn't garner more votes.  You could tell he was being extremely diplomatic, but his comment about seeing 1 minute out of 300 minutes, and then referenced to Sugar being annoying - clearly the implication was she wasn't really much liked by anyone there.  If you watched Bob's reactions to her, you could see he was actually weirded out (or something) by her "father figure" comments; he clearly did not like her much either.  Notice he didn't say a single word of thanks or appreciation to the gal that essentially handed him a million dollars.  From an Outwit perspective, she did a hell of a lot more in the game than he did, and her flip vote in the endgame gave him the opening to winm the least he could have done was acknowledge her.  It's too bad they didn't give her a car or something, she deserves it!

The last few weeks were fun to watch, and in spite of my incredibly hottie hunks and cute gay boy being knocked out early, made for some really good dramatic TV.  Lot of great twists and turns and I enjoyed Sugar's playing of Kenny and the idol, particularly last week when she tells Matty to shut up and let her do the thinking; that was sweet.  I was shocked to see Susie of all people win the final immunity (how is it Physics Bob couldn't make a house of card?!??) but damn was she annoying after winning.  Still it set up the big twist at the end and I was glad to see the 2 frontrunners have to duke it out and EARN the million with a fire challenge, exactly as I'd hoped.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2008, 12:41:29 AM »

Glad to see Bob win - he dominated when everyone was thinking Matty was the dominator / physically fit dude that would get immunity constantly. Three cheers for the old man!

I loved the whole fake idol screw over Randy thing - it was AWESOME! Screw you, Randy - you deserved it.

I'm glad Sugar got no votes, but I wish Susie would have got zero also. She needs to learn to control that run-on talking problem - sheesh!

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »

So I've gotten to spend some time with Marc over the last few weeks as he prepares to move back here to ATL in a couple of months. We've been playing a ton of RB2 biggrin Anyways, the interesting tidbit I was going to resurrect this thread for: the fix.

So Marc had made a couple of comments about the producers rigging things to shift the balance of power during the show when they had their great power block going. I thought he was purely referring to the tribe shuffle that took place the episode he got eliminated. Turns out there is more. The physical challenge was done on an individual basis so that the others couldn't throw the challenge and vote someone not from their block out (since Marc was obviously vulnerable with Bob on the other side). And then the plot thickens. The challenge was to hold those wooden poles on the backs of your hands. The distances were calculated supposedly based on height, but Marc said his were set further out from his body comparatively to ensure that he lost. I was always curious why he lost that challenge because at that point in the game he was clearly the strongest and fittest person left - it was off just how much longer Matty (and Bob) were able to last than him. And now we know smile
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »

Quote from: Crux on January 16, 2009, 08:43:21 PM

So I've gotten to spend some time with Marc over the last few weeks as he prepares to move back here to ATL in a couple of months. We've been playing a ton of RB2 biggrin Anyways, the interesting tidbit I was going to resurrect this thread for: the fix.

So Marc had made a couple of comments about the producers rigging things to shift the balance of power during the show when they had their great power block going. I thought he was purely referring to the tribe shuffle that took place the episode he got eliminated. Turns out there is more. The physical challenge was done on an individual basis so that the others couldn't throw the challenge and vote someone not from their block out (since Marc was obviously vulnerable with Bob on the other side). And then the plot thickens. The challenge was to hold those wooden poles on the backs of your hands. The distances were calculated supposedly based on height, but Marc said his were set further out from his body comparatively to ensure that he lost. I was always curious why he lost that challenge because at that point in the game he was clearly the strongest and fittest person left - it was off just how much longer Matty (and Bob) were able to last than him. And now we know smile

Wow, I'm jealous you get to hang out with him! 

But even more wow, I'm surprised he told you that stuff - don't they have to sign crap that prevents them from revealing stuff like this that could really affect the way people view the show?  I suppose he isn't suing them or anything and this could still be viewed as conjecture from his part, so I guess it's not that big a deal.  Either way, I do agree that the producers seemed hell-bent on breaking up what felt like an over-powered alliance structure.

Still, unless it was the editing, it appeared to me Marcus fell not just to the cheating producers, but to the age old Survivor problem of over-confidence.  It seemed to me he went too far (unnecessarily) in his bid to control Krystal, and likewise under-estimated Susie and Kenny, even after commenting on how unstable she was.  Would one more conversation with Susie have made a difference?  Particularly if he hadn't bothered trying to turn Krystal, and just stayed focused on his 3-man advantage at the time, who knows... 

Oh well, he is so hot, he doesn't need to win a million dollars on top of that lol.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: