http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:57:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Facebook cash...and no entries? - Feedback on giveaways  (Read 560 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:28:23 AM »

I'm a little confused on the lack of engagement on some of our giveaways.  Sure, it's not the big stuff, but for instance today we are literally giving away cards worth 15 bucks in Facebook cash.  I'm Facebook friends with a lot of you, so I know you use it.  I just find it hard to believe that nobody has entered.  Anyone have any suggestions on how we can better engage you guys?   We've got bigger titles coming up (though Van Helsing was a pretty solid one I thought) - is it just lack of interest in what we picked? 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:39:02 AM »

Not sure if I am normal, but I rarely check Facebook. I also shy away from Facebook promotions just because if I do use the site, I use it to keep in touch with friends, not marketing campaigns. Often if a product I do like is advertising a FB page/promotion, I don't bother clicking it because of this reason. I find the whole "Your friend likes Wal mart" a huge turn off.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:45:42 AM »

With the Facebook cash I think it might just be the fact that it is only good for Facebook games:

Well, today we have four $15 cards pre-loaded to use on Facebook.  These will let you purchase in-app goodies from FarmVille 2, Candy Crush Saga, Dragon City, and anything else you could want to play. 

I'm not sure, but do not think any Facebook game is really eating up anyone's time around here, so it may be more the fact people are passing it up so a person who actually plays those games can get it, and as a result no one claims it if said person does not show up.

as for the other games, I cannot believe people are passing up Van Helsing.  Serious Sam DD XL may be a case of everyone having it already,

One thing I just noticed is the Rafflecopter widget seems to be loading kinda slow sometimes, but that might be on my end though if no one else has reported it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:09:01 AM »

I think it might be a demographic thing, I don't play Facebook games. Not sure how many people that visit this kind of gaming site do play Facebook games.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:15:44 AM »

Quote from: Lee on July 22, 2013, 01:39:02 AM

Not sure if I am normal, but I rarely check Facebook. I also shy away from Facebook promotions just because if I do use the site, I use it to keep in touch with friends, not marketing campaigns. Often if a product I do like is advertising a FB page/promotion, I don't bother clicking it because of this reason. I find the whole "Your friend likes Wal mart" a huge turn off.

I check FB regularly to follow the exploits of a handful of friends and family members. I don't play FB games, I block the ads, and I'd never even heard of FB cash. Which is kind of schizophrenic since I also try to promote my business there...something I really suck at since I don't post the kind of updates that annoy me. I do follow a couple of local breweries and restaurants but I quickly un-like any entity that's blatantly commercial (as opposed to informational) or that posts too often.

Could your profile just be a lot lower than you think it is? Curio City has something like 180 followers, but only about 30 people ever see any of my business posts.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:29:29 AM »

simple answer:  we don't play facebook games.  deeper answer:  we aren't motivated to check the facebook page.  knowing you have giveaways will certainly entice me to check more often though.

I really only get updates on GT through it via flipboard.  otherwise, I barely check the site and have probably only logged in 3 times in the last year

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 02:35:00 AM »

I'd be interested if there is a way to convert Facebook cash into Steam Cash. Especially with the Summer sale, even though it's almost over.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 03:46:53 AM »

I have no idea what "Facebook cash" is or what it does, and I either already have or wasn't interested in the other games you were giving away.

Definitely nothing personal.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 03:57:15 AM »

I went ahead and liked GT on FB, I recently just got back in to Videgames, so I didn't really check the front page or the forums for that matter, so I will start checking more now.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 04:00:05 AM »

Fair enough - Facebook cash is a bust.  We've got other goodies up our sleeves for next week.   smile    Just was wondering.  I figured somebody would want them (wife? kid?  something?) but I get the point on this one. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 04:25:20 AM »

This is literally the first I've heard of such a giveaway, so I don't doubt that has something to do with it.  But as the others said, I'm not big on Facebook and don't play games on there or anything.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 08:41:34 AM »

i avoid facebook and its horrid privacy policies and .. general ickyness
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »

Well, as I said - we've got some stellar giveaway goodies to give away over this week that are not Facebook.  Perhaps that'll lure you guys in. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »

Never heard of Facebook Cash.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »

I use Facebook just to keep in touch with actual family and friends I have an interest in keeping tabs on.  I never use the Facebook sign-on option on any other websites, I never use it to view any company or product-related FB pages, and I don't touch FB games at all.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »

FYI: The #1 way I end up on a front page story is from a FB post, so... keep doing those.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 24, 2013, 05:15:36 PM

I use Facebook just to keep in touch with actual family and friends I have an interest in keeping tabs on.  I never use the Facebook sign-on option on any other websites, I never use it to view any company or product-related FB pages, and I don't touch FB games at all.

ditto.  i think i'm on facebook an average of maybe 5 to 10 minutes a day.  i also don't trust the majority of links found on facebook.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »

Take a moment and look at this :  http://gamingtrend.com/2013/07/24/gaming-trends-summer-of-free-stuff-ftl-faster-than-light/

Yep, supporting Indies with a nod to FTL. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 08:03:33 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on July 22, 2013, 08:41:34 AM

i avoid facebook and its horrid privacy policies and .. general ickyness

+1, I abhor social media sites and avoid them when at all possible.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 08:08:10 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 24, 2013, 07:23:23 PM

Take a moment and look at this :  http://gamingtrend.com/2013/07/24/gaming-trends-summer-of-free-stuff-ftl-faster-than-light/

Yep, supporting Indies with a nod to FTL. 

It appears that this only works if I have a Twitter account? It requires that I complete all four entries.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »

I've never heard of Rafflecopter but I'm assuming each one adds a chance to win.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »

I already own all the games offered except SSDD, which doesn't interest me at all.  Facebook cash would also be wasted on me.  Now a nice gift certificate to Amazon....

If you're going to run similar promotions I would suggest focusing on the newer indie titles to come out.  With the exception of Van Helsing, all of those games could have been picked up for for a couple dollars in the Steam sale and anyone who was interested probably already did.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 09:38:57 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 24, 2013, 09:19:43 PM

I already own all the games offered except SSDD, which doesn't interest me at all.  Facebook cash would also be wasted on me.  Now a nice gift certificate to Amazon....

If you're going to run similar promotions I would suggest focusing on the newer indie titles to come out.  With the exception of Van Helsing, all of those games could have been picked up for for a couple dollars in the Steam sale and anyone who was interested probably already did.

Unfortunately, we don't chose what's given to us to use for giveaways

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 01:17:40 AM »

it looks like some of the other giveaways have picked up a good amount of entries. The Van Helsing one has almost tripled since yesterday.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 06:33:34 PM »

And how do we know if we won?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on July 26, 2013, 06:33:34 PM

Ron shows up on your doorstep and you have to play 'Find the slip of paper with the code on it'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2013, 06:49:11 PM

Quote from: stimpy on July 26, 2013, 06:33:34 PM

Ron shows up on your doorstep and you have to play 'Find the slip of paper with the code on it'.

There are no losers in that scenario.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »

Quote from: kratz on July 24, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

FYI: The #1 way I end up on a front page story is from a FB post, so... keep doing those.

+1
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on July 26, 2013, 01:17:40 AM

it looks like some of the other giveaways have picked up a good amount of entries. The Van Helsing one has almost tripled since yesterday.

Yup, it finally caught traction.  It was just strange that it took a few days.   smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »

Same here.  I've hit the main page more in the last couple months than I had in the entire previous year because I see the FB posts.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 26, 2013, 11:06:09 PM

Same here.  I've hit the main page more in the last couple months than I had in the entire previous year because I see the FB posts.

Well, we are taking on some new approaches (including Facebook) to really get the word out.   It's working.  Expect great things in 2013!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: