http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:28:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frankenstorm!  (Read 2077 times)
Ironrod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »

You ready?

The brunt of the weather mayhem will be concentrated where the hurricane comes ashore early Tuesday, but there will be hundreds of miles of steady, strong and damaging winds and rain for the entire Eastern region for several days, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The hurricane has killed at least 20 people in the Caribbean, and just left the Bahamas. It is expected to move north, just off the Eastern Seaboard.

As of Friday morning, federal forecasters were looking closer at the Delaware shore as the spot it will turn inland and merge with a wintry storm front. But there is a lot of room for error in the forecast and the storm could turn into shore closer to New York and New Jersey and bring the worst weather there.

Wherever Sandy comes ashore will get 10 inches of rain and extreme storm surges, Louis Uccellini, NOAA's environmental prediction director, said in a Friday news conference. Other areas not directly on Sandy's entry path will still get 4 to 8 inches of rain, maybe more, he said. Up to 2 feet of snow should fall on West Virginia, with lighter snow in parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania, regardless of where Sandy first hits.

A wide swath of the East, measuring several hundreds of miles, will get persistent gale-force winds in the 50 mph area, with some areas closer to storm landfall getting closer to 70 mph, said James Franklin, forecast chief for the National Hurricane Center.

"It's going to be a long-lasting event, two to three days of impact for a lot of people," Franklin said. "Wind damage, widespread power outages, heavy rainfall, inland flooding and somebody is going to get a significant surge event."

That storm surge will only be magnified by the full moon this weekend to make it a "dangerous period," Uccellini said.

The latest track puts Boston just outside the northern boundary, so I'm hoping we'll escape the worst of it. My roof leaks and my cellar is prone to flooding when we have prolonged heavy rain. Mostly, though, I dread losing power for any length of time. No computers, no tv? Unthinkable!

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:49:24 PM »

Gotta admit, I'm freaking out.

But I get hypersensitive to these things (check my posts in last year's hurricane scare for an example).

On the plus side, I don't know how accurate they are (usually they are one of my more trusted weather sources), but Weather Underground has Sandy turning inland further south than they were saying earlier today, which is lessening the forecasted impact on us quite a bit.  It's still way to early to tell, though, so I have many sleepless nights ahead, and I'll be good and crazy by the time it hits.

I'm actually heading out to Home Depot for an emergency shipment of generators that it seems like the whole state of Connecticut knows about.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:24:55 AM »

ready as I can be

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:50:48 AM »

Right now it still looks like the NJ/DE area is going to take it on the chin, and we're just going to get a nasty rainstorm up here. But tropical storms and nor'easters are notoriously unpredictable. We won't really know the storm's track until Sunday, so I've decided not to panic until then. Meanwhile I'm just nervous about it. But I'm the anxious sort anyway, and right now I'm stressing more about the wedding that I have to attend on Sunday than I am about Frankenstorm. One ordeal at a time!

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:57:19 AM »

I have completely given up on all weather forecasts... My only way to tell the actual weather is to look outside.... Typically, they say doom...nothing happens... They say don't worry about it... all hell breaks loose...
My store sold out of D batteries and flashlights today.. My wife went food shopping and it was packed.... my boss went through 6 Home Depot/Lowes stores before he found a generator....
I'm gonna make sure my laptops , cell phones, tablets, and kindles are all charged and make sure flashlights have batteries... thats about it.... maybe buy some water...although the wife wants a generator now....
amyway, not gonna worry about it too much....I've tried controlling the weather before...Seems I've lost all of my superpowers, so bah... oh, and I'm in Jersey...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »

Potentially serious shit:

Hurricane Sandy, moving north from the Caribbean, was expected to make landfall Monday night near the Delaware coast, then hit two winter weather systems as it moves inland, creating a hybrid monster storm that could bring nearly a foot of rain, high winds and up to 2 feet of snow. Experts said the storm would be wider and stronger than last year's Irene, which caused more than $15 billion in damage, and could rival the worst East Coast storm on record.

I have it on good authority from a self-proclaimed weather geek on facebook that there's never been a storm quite like this, and nobody knows what will happen when those cells merge. It's going to be a humdinger, that much is for sure.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 27, 2012, 06:08:08 AM

Potentially serious shit:

Hurricane Sandy, moving north from the Caribbean, was expected to make landfall Monday night near the Delaware coast, then hit two winter weather systems as it moves inland, creating a hybrid monster storm that could bring nearly a foot of rain, high winds and up to 2 feet of snow. Experts said the storm would be wider and stronger than last year's Irene, which caused more than $15 billion in damage, and could rival the worst East Coast storm on record.

I have it on good authority from a self-proclaimed weather geek on facebook that there's never been a storm quite like this, and nobody knows what will happen when those cells merge. It's going to be a humdinger, that much is for sure.

I think we all know what happens....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/

morlac00 on PSN
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »

I haven't been following the storm, but I just looked at the spaghetti model. Looks like there's a strong chance it will hit somewhere between Norfolk and NYC, but there's a fair bit of spread in what the various models are predicting. Not sure which models have done the best job predicting the storm so far or how well they account for the unusual circumstances here. Just realize they have to give one official forecast, which is an average of the different models (and in some cases is an unlikely scenario). Often, you can get a much better idea of what they are really thinking from the discussion portions of the advisories. If I were anywhere on the east coast north of NC I'd be battening down the hatches just in case.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »

Copied from a post at OO:

The chief meteorologist at WHIO-TV in Dayton posted this yesterday:

So here we are about 3 or 4 days away from what may be the worst storm for the Northeast since humans populated the area. I'm not kidding, that is a possibility. We know neither how strong this beast will be or exactly who will get the worst of it. Why? Because what is about to happen is unprecedented in the years that human have attempted to understand how the atmosphere works. Hurricanes have merged with colder air as an energetic jet stream interacts before. But perhaps not with the intensity of the factors coming into play this time. A similar scenario has happened before, back in 1991 ... the "Perfect Storm" of movie and book lore was born. Forecasts of that storm were awful leading up to it. The center of that system never made landfall along the East Coast. In fact, at its strongest the core of that storm was a few hundred miles east of New England. Here's what resulted: 80 mph winds and 25-foot waves on the Massachusetts Coast. Offshore buoys recorded 40-foot waves (that is enough to swallow a fishing boat). The Maryland Coast recorded record high tides. The lowest barometric pressure with that storm was 972 mb (that corresponds to 28.70" for those of you who are familiar with those units). Some computer forecast models drop the lowest pressure with Sandy to below 940 mb (27.75"). If you have a barometer at home, take a look at it - it doesn't go that low. If that occurs, this storm will bring the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded on the East Coast. Low pressure means wind, an tropical storm force winds already extend hundreds of miles away from the center of Sandy. Some believe as the storm approaches the coast it may intensify which means stronger winds. That means a widespread area of damage and power outages in the most populated part of the country. I feel there is a good chance we will still have some areas, perhaps entire communities, that lose power and still do not have it come Election Day a week later. Think about that ... no power on Election Day ... a hanging chad could pale in comparison.

But here's the problem ... the computer forecast models that all the forecasters will lean on so heavily have no chance of getting this exactly right. Models are either configured (numerically, in terms of the mathematical equations that drive them), to handle either tropical system well, or what we call mid-latitude systems well, that is ones with warm and cold air clashing. There is no model that handles both well. If there were we would have one great model and my life would be far less stressful. The hurricane will merge with colder air and energy from the jet stream and transition from a tropical system into what we call an extratropical one. Historically the computer forecast models are not good when this happens. The latest National Hurricane Center forecast takes Sandy early Tuesday into the New Jersey or Deleware Coast on a westward track (which by the way has NEVER happened since we have been keeping track of these sort of things). They may be weighing the models that handle tropical system a bit more heavily, but those models should become less accurate as the colder, mid-latitude air works into Sandy's circulation near landfall. As of early this afternoon we have a threat or landfall anywhere between the eastern shore of Maryland and Massachusetts. It may be later Monday or even as late as early Wednesday. We will hear about this storm for weeks after it happens. Homes will fall into the ocean and lives will be lost. If the damaging winds are widespread enough, it may be one of the costliest weather events in U.S. history due to the population likely affected.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 27, 2012, 04:22:42 PM

Copied from a post at OO:

Yeah, that gives a great sense of the complexity involved. I'm always fascinated by those deeper discussions of storm behavior. Bottom line is that this is a wildly unpredictable scenario. And again, with all that complexity, all those variables, the weather service has to give one forecast that fits into a sound byte for the masses. I think that's why we perceive forecasting of storms to be so inaccurate, because the forecast most people see is such a drastic oversimplification.

For those who are interested, and want more info, I find the hurricane tracking site at boatus.com to be really helpful (and NOAA.gov of course).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:48:33 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »

Ready here in the southeast corner of PA (about fifteen minutes from both MD and DE). We rode out Irene just fine here, loss of power and a few books when our library roof leaked but that was it. Mostly just keeping an eye on severity - my mom lives on the Delmarva peninsula and I've got a standing offer to pick her up and let her ride it out here if it looks too bad down there.

Pretty much nobody here is panicking though - went to the store today to stock some stuff for our Halloween party, and was able to get bread and some spring water just fine. I figure it's the same as usual here - be ready to lose power for a day or three, have food and water on hand, and fresh batteries for all the camping lanterns. If the effects last any longer, I'll have to head west to find somewhere to work from anyway, so I'm not too worried about an extended power outage. And we're on a hill here, so no worries about flooding.

Mostly just rolling my eyes at one of my housemates, who believes that the annual big storm is pretty much a media fabrication since she personally has never been severely affected by one.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »

Figured this could go here, too.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »

Wife kept pushing to get a generator.... so here I am waiting at Lowes for 5 hours waiting for their truck to come in... they gave out 200 tickets and im 181.... they "should" be getting 200, so hopefully it wont be a waste of time... cops just showed up though... nobody knows how this is going to work... they have tickets, a line, and a signup list.... 6 different employees and 6 different answers,but each employee insists that they are correct... and of course, all managers are "unavailable".....
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 27, 2012, 08:09:30 PM

Figured this could go here, too.
one of those pictures looks like hurricane Ginger....

ninja

p.s. Steam set to offline mode.  hooray!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 11:24:02 AM »

Had to go to the market yesterday for my mom and it was a madhouse.   Decided to grab a few bags of ice for when her power goes out.  My sister and I have tried to get her to leave but my mother is proud and wants to stay in her home. Her neighbor is a US Marshal so we spoke and he will keep an eye on her for me

Anyway, I am prepared as I can be.. food, water and batteries.  I live in downtown Baltimore, so we have underground powerlines, so I doubt we will lose power.

Be safe everyone

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »

She's heading in a lot more South than they were guessing which, while still terrible, is causing predictions here in Connecticut to be fairly mild.  If you can call 80mph wind gusts mild.  Rain-wise, though, they're estimating less than 2 inches today and maybe another quarter to half inch tomorrow.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »

I live in Eastern Ohio and the last time we had high winds from a Hurricane our power was out for an entire week. I just hope that doesn't happen this time. It's crazy to think that a tropical storm can affect you so much when you live so far inland.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »

Stay safe guys - It looks like this one is for real this time!

A new one
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »

We prepared a little, but wishing we'd prepared a bit more. The forcasts in DC area keep getting worse every 6 hours!  icon_frown
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 29, 2012, 01:21:27 PM

We prepared a little, but wishing we'd prepared a bit more. The forcasts in DC area keep getting worse every 6 hours!  icon_frown

What's the expectation there?

And take heart. In 19 years of living in that area, they got the forecasts right like once. slywink
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 01:56:49 PM »

As prepared as I can be... waited 8 hours, but got a generator just in case.. no evacuations in my area called... and work is still on...
Watching the news just annoys me with some of the ways people are acting though... areas in severe danger have evacuations and people are just like "no, we'll be fine as long as we stick together" and other such nonsense... So, if we all just stick together, we can avoid storms forever? Is Linda going to take a look at this "strong" group of people and say"Whoah, let me just skirt around here..."
And this was from people on beachfront proerty, where the ocean is already just about lapping at their door and the hurricane hasn't even arrived yet... EIA indeed!
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 02:12:18 PM »

Even in Michigan we have high wind advisories this week and they have said waves on Lakes Huron and Michigan could reach 30 feet. :o

If that's what's happening this far from the storm, holy shit watch out east coast friends.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »

Hunker down people, slap on some REO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zU6R7IMns and most of all be safe!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »

Thoughts and prayers with any of you in the path of this monster.

Latest info on this thing is mind blowing.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

So far, so good. It's no worse than a typical nor'easter. But peak winds are still 2-3 hours away, so we shall see.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on October 29, 2012, 03:48:04 PM

Thoughts and prayers with any of you in the path of this monster.

Latest info on this thing is mind blowing.

I'm gonna need a citation for that or I won't believe it!  icon_twisted

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »

Tons of snow with this monster too, as far south as NE Tn to receive up to 2 feet 😳
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »

just got back from a walk down by the beach - pretty wild out there but nothing extreme yet!  depending on how nasty it is i maaaaaaay take a look around high tide tonight unless theres major flooding, winds or cozy hunkering
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 29, 2012, 05:52:40 PM

just got back from a walk down by the beach - pretty wild out there but nothing extreme yet!  depending on how nasty it is i maaaaaaay take a look around high tide tonight unless theres major flooding, winds or cozy hunkering

Possible Darwin Award nominee?
Be safe.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »

there are some really kick ass pictures of this monster from space doing the rounds on the news channels

this is one of them
I think America is underneath there somewhere

NASA Vids
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=154602431

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »

Stay safe everyone!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 29, 2012, 12:45:18 PM

I live in Eastern Ohio and the last time we had high winds from a Hurricane our power was out for an entire week. I just hope that doesn't happen this time. It's crazy to think that a tropical storm can affect you so much when you live so far inland.

ah, Hurricane Ike.  I remember going for a beer run in the middle of it and almost getting knocked off my feet by a gust of wind.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 10:27:20 PM »

big wind and rain here just outside Toronto. Halloween decorations removed from trees and front yard just in case.
No need for panic prep on this end- its just rain and wind.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 12:04:39 AM »

hats off to these guys.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 12:07:56 AM »

That pic was taken in September.  Even the Nellis AFB (Las Vegas) Facebook page got trolled.  Took them two hours to post the clarification.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 12:11:09 AM »

But seriously, those guys are awesome.  When you have the time, I recommend watching the Arlington: Field of Honor documentary.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 12:16:33 AM »

I just grabbed it off of Facebook, now I have to go make fun of the friend who posted it biggrin

in other news, sharks in Jersey!

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 02:17:16 AM »

Our weather has settled down into a normal rainstorm. We never lost power and didn't take any damage. Internet seems a bit slow tonight, and I'm noticing some third-party programs (like google-analytics.com on this site) aren't connecting at all.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 02:56:06 AM »

Windy as all hell here in cleveland. Power has went out 2 times so far, but has popped right back on...hopefully it stays on. The vita is gonna get some love tonight. Probably 50-60 mpg gusts. 40 sustained. Cold and rainy too! Taking out the dogs, not fun..
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21:08 AM »

Lost juice here in the NYC Jersey 'Burbs around 9 EST.  Transformers just started kersploding, one every 5 minutes or so, around the neighborhood.  Glad I'm about 15 miles inland, though.  The reports coming in from manhattan & the shoreline are just insane.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: