http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:28:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox to use less commercials?  (Read 2347 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008, 09:39:19 PM »

tbs (oh, the irony of that acronym) used this to perfect infamy in the old days.  everything was off by 5 minutes. 

end result was i watched a lot of shows on other channels or ended up missing the last 5 minutes of a tbs show.  it's annoying.

what i want is for them to stop broadcasting commercials at 3 times the volume of the show.  i get to just muting the damn things by default. i would kill for a tv that muted commercials automatically.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008, 10:22:08 PM »

When the commercials are about 3 times as loud as the actual show, where the volume level for the show itself is very low, it drives me away from the channel.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2008, 01:36:46 AM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 16, 2008, 06:01:08 PM

I'm surprised no one jumped on the claim that 5 minutes/hour is half the current average.  It's actually closer to 1/4th. 

Exactly. Almost all network 1 hour shows are between 40 to 42 minutes of program, and 18 to 20 minutes of commercials. 30 minute shows are exactly half of that.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2008, 07:11:24 AM »

It seems to me that the other way this reduced commercial content idea could work would be that with shorter commercial breaks it will be harder for people to channel surf.  As it stands now, you know when a break comes on that you have a few minutes to surf, grab something from the fridge, etc.  If the breaks are short, you don't dare change the channel, which means the commercials are on.  From an advertiser's point of view that short break might be worth paying more for than being stuck somewhere in a several minute long commercial break.

Just an idea.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on May 16, 2008, 05:58:56 PM

Soon every show will feature enhanced product placement instead of commercials -- think "Truman Show"

Wow. Even less of a reason for me to watch TV. And it's not like I watch any as it is right now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 17, 2008, 01:58:37 PM

Quote from: DarkEL on May 16, 2008, 05:58:56 PM

Soon every show will feature enhanced product placement instead of commercials -- think "Truman Show"

Wow. Even less of a reason for me to watch TV. And it's not like I watch any as it is right now.

I don't mind product placements, especially as compared to commercial breaks, as long as they aren't over done. Cloverfield had a perfect example of a good placement, and a bad. The good: Red Hook ESB at the party. The camera just passed by someone drinking one. Of course the label was perfectly readable, but it was quick. The bad: The Nokia ad in the subway. They actually focused the camera on it and held it there for quite a while. That annoyed the hell out of me.

I just wish American sports would take less commercial breaks. When commercial breaks are part of the sport, there is something wrong. Give me a little ad in the top corner or a 5 second banner ad instead of going to break.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 02:19:54 PM by Lee » Logged
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2008, 05:11:16 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 16, 2008, 07:53:55 PM

Speaking of DVR, some shows have started doing something that seriously pisses me off.

My DVR box (from Time Warner cable) can record two shows simultaneously, but no more. I keep running into situations where a show will intentionally run long - say, American Idol will run from 8:00 - 9:02. What this does is screw me up from recording two different shows at 9:00, because the DVR is still recording American Idol for those 2 minutes and won't switch over.

I wonder if it is an intentional thing just to screw with DVR owners.

Sure is. That's one of the reasons I built my own DVR with 4 tuners.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2008, 01:00:57 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on May 17, 2008, 05:11:16 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on May 16, 2008, 07:53:55 PM

Speaking of DVR, some shows have started doing something that seriously pisses me off.

My DVR box (from Time Warner cable) can record two shows simultaneously, but no more. I keep running into situations where a show will intentionally run long - say, American Idol will run from 8:00 - 9:02. What this does is screw me up from recording two different shows at 9:00, because the DVR is still recording American Idol for those 2 minutes and won't switch over.

I wonder if it is an intentional thing just to screw with DVR owners.

Sure is. That's one of the reasons I built my own DVR with 4 tuners.

show that do that end up getting bittorrented.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: