http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:38:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox to use less commercials?  (Read 2407 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:13:58 PM »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ibcf6d45fc7a036df6bfa2e8d6fa199d3

Fox Broadcasting Co. is shaking up the commercial TV model with "Remote-Free TV."

At its upfront presentation Thursday, the network announced it will air two new drama series, J.J. Abrams' "Fringe" and Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse," with dramatically reduced commercial breaks.

"It's a simple concept and potentially revolutionary," Fox Entertainment Chairman Peter Liguori said. "We're going to have less commercials, less promotional time, and less reason for viewers to use the remote. We're going to redefine the viewing experience."

Both "Fringe" and "Dollhouse" would have network commercial loads of about five minutes per hour, about half the usual. The commercial pods would also be shorter and they would have about half the promo load as well.

I wonder how well this will really work?  While I like the idea of less commercials, I wonder if it's going to end up looking like a football game broadcast on Fox with a whole bunch of new bugs all over the screens.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »

I suspect that's exactly what they had in mind. That'll really mess with people who download shows.
I wonder how Canadian broadcasters are planning to approach this. It means shows will run 5 minutes longer if they stick to the old-style commercials (if the show has factored them into the plot structure at all).
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »

Interesting.  I wonder if the shows will stay on the air when, and if, all the sponsors pull out because they have no air-time.

Either that, or they'll just put tickers and sponsor graphics all over the screen.

Edit:  Or, they'll just have ad placement all over the shows.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:22:25 PM »

I think it's a great idea if they can make it financially viable. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 16, 2008, 03:19:47 PM

Interesting.  I wonder if the shows will stay on the air when, and if, all the sponsors pull out because they have no air-time.

Either that, or they'll just put tickers and sponsor graphics all over the screen.

Your last two sentences are probably the solution they have in mind.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 03:28:25 PM »

The copy should read:

At its upfront presentation Thursday, the network announced it will air two new drama series, J.J. Abrams' " Ford Ranger Fringe" and Joss Whedon's "Mattel's Barbie Dollhouse," with dramatically reduced commercial breaks.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 16, 2008, 03:25:26 PM

Your last two sentences are probably the solution they have in mind.
In a DVR world, things *have* to move in this direction. frown
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:32:40 PM »

If this means five more minutes per episode - especially five more minutes of Joss Whedon episodes - I'll happily put up with more product placement and slightly-less-happily put up with more tickers. If this just means the episodes are the same length but air in fifty-five minutes for the same increase in "subtle" advertising, then Fox can go screw themselves (again).

- Ash
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 03:33:25 PM »

That's all fine and dandy. But you forgot to mention that 'Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles' is coming back! Yayyyyy!

Also Yay! for the '24' prequel two-hour movie and the new seasons of 'PrisonBreak' and 'Kitchen Nightmares'. Me thinks I'll be watching a lot of Fox in the fall.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 03:37:07 PM »

so, what's the over/under on FOX screwing Whedon again?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »

Well, at least if it's tickers and such, they won't be on the inevitable DVD.
Dollhouse: The Complete Series box set, Q1:2009
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 03:56:15 PM »

I'm fine for commercials at the bottom of my screen while the show is airing.

Under one condition

Broadcast in wide-screen and put the commercial at the bottom where it's covering up 0% of the image. So many times a show is sub-titled and you're screwed because there's crap over the subtitle on the screen.

Thx.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on May 16, 2008, 03:56:15 PM

I'm fine for commercials at the bottom of my screen while the show is airing.

Under one condition

Broadcast in wide-screen and put the commercial at the bottom where it's covering up 0% of the image. So many times a show is sub-titled and you're screwed because there's crap over the subtitle on the screen.

Thx.

They couldn't do that. That means people with widescreen TVs (which equates to more disposable income) won't be able to see them. Plus it'd mean they would not be broadcasting in 720p HD. It would be a 4:3 format.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »

I wish they would go to what I saw done when I was in England years ago.  The show aired commercial free, and then the 10 minutes after the show, before the next show was commercials.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 16, 2008, 04:17:47 PM

I wish they would go to what I saw done when I was in England years ago.  The show aired commercial free, and then the 10 minutes after the show, before the next show was commercials.

The sponsors here would never go for that, as that's 'break-time' for the viewers.  Knowing exactly when the commercials are coming and how long they're going to be allows you the perfect excuse to avoid them.

If sponsors don't go for it, the networks never will either.  They'll lose a lot of money because of it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »

Was that the case for all British shows?  I'm probably talking about my ass here (maybe metallicorphin can chime in) but I know that a lot of shows are broadcast on BBC which is, I believe, government funded and therefore commercial free while other "private" stations still use regular commercial advertising. 
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 16, 2008, 04:20:25 PM

Was that the case for all British shows?  I'm probably talking about my ass here (maybe metallicorphin can chime in) but I know that a lot of shows are broadcast on BBC which is, I believe, government funded and therefore commercial free while other "private" stations still use regular commercial advertising. 

To be honest this was about 12 years ago.  I was on my way to Namibia and had a few day layover in London.  I just remember all the shows we watched had the commercials all slotted after the shows were over.  So say 12:00-12:50 was the show, then 12:50 - 1:00 was the commercials.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »

I can see it now: everybody in the show is wearing a t-shirt with ads on them!!!

When they get in their cars, guess what's on the sides of the cars?

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 04:39:50 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on May 16, 2008, 04:38:23 PM

Doors?
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 04:44:22 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 16, 2008, 04:39:50 PM

Quote from: PaulBot on May 16, 2008, 04:38:23 PM

Doors?

ROFL!

Ok, let me leave no room for error since some people aren't playing with a full deck: there are ads on the sides of the cars.

Sheesh.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 16, 2008, 04:27:56 PM

To be honest this was about 12 years ago.  I was on my way to Namibia and had a few day layover in London.  I just remember all the shows we watched had the commercials all slotted after the shows were over.  So say 12:00-12:50 was the show, then 12:50 - 1:00 was the commercials.

The Brits also pay a crap load more for the TVs where said additional money pays for BBC.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on May 16, 2008, 03:19:00 PM

I suspect that's exactly what they had in mind. That'll really mess with people who download shows.
I wonder how Canadian broadcasters are planning to approach this. It means shows will run 5 minutes longer if they stick to the old-style commercials (if the show has factored them into the plot structure at all).

I don't think it matters all that much for Canada since we already have less commercials in the first place, which is why ASN  show music videos and other stuff to fill the gap.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 05:58:56 PM »

that's it exactly - product placement all over the place.

You can already see it in effect in shows like the Biggest Loser (where the trainer suddenly talks to a couple contestants about how the new light and buttery blank blank popcorn is such a great snack when you're watching calories)

or on American Idol - where you have Ryan Seacrest demoing on an iPhone he "borrowed" from an audience member how you can now buy the American idol performances on iTunes.

Soon every show will feature enhanced product placement instead of commercials -- think "Truman Show"
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »

I'm surprised no one jumped on the claim that 5 minutes/hour is half the current average.  It's actually closer to 1/4th. 

I'm also surprised to hear that Whedon's new show is on Fox.  After Firefly he stated in no uncertain terms that he would never work with Fox again.  I guess he likes being paid.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »

I don't give Fox too much crap because frankly most of the other networks would never have given a lot of these shows a chance period. 
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 06:14:29 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 16, 2008, 04:27:56 PM

British shows typically run longer due to no commercials, which is why shows like Top Gear are cut up for American audiences, resulting in a lot of stuff missing, literally becoming Best of segments.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on May 16, 2008, 05:58:56 PM

that's it exactly - product placement all over the place.

You can already see it in effect in shows like the Biggest Loser (where the trainer suddenly talks to a couple contestants about how the new light and buttery blank blank popcorn is such a great snack when you're watching calories)

or on American Idol - where you have Ryan Seacrest demoing on an iPhone he "borrowed" from an audience member how you can now buy the American idol performances on iTunes.

Soon every show will feature enhanced product placement instead of commercials -- think "Truman Show"

Or, half the shows on TV in the 50's. This isn't new at all.

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 16, 2008, 06:01:08 PM

I'm surprised no one jumped on the claim that 5 minutes/hour is half the current average.  It's actually closer to 1/4th. 

I think they are differentiating commercials and show promos. Ads for the sitcom coming up next are promos not commercials.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »

I'm also surprised to hear that Whedon's new show is on Fox.  After Firefly he stated in no uncertain terms that he would never work with Fox again.  I guess he likes being paid.

This is par for the course in high-stakes Hollywood. No matter how badly a TV network or a movie studio screws you, you better be ready to be diplomatic and do business with them in the future.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on May 16, 2008, 06:24:37 PM

I think they are differentiating commercials and show promos. Ads for the sitcom coming up next are promos not commercials.

That would imply that there are 5 minutes of commercials and 13 minutes of promos per hour.  That's not accurate, either. 

So he's basically just pulling 5 minutes/hour out of his ass.  smile 
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »

meh, who cares.  with DVR i just watch a show 15-20 min late and fast forward though the commercials.

yay for american soccer for getting rid of commercials years ago.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 06:49:24 PM »

I should check my numbers before posting--must be Friday. 

What I meant was 5 min/hour being half average implies 10m as average, implying 10m commercials, 12m promos per Coop's suggestion.  I'm pretty sure that's not accurate, either--that'd be 20+ promos per show. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 16, 2008, 06:49:24 PM

I should check my numbers before posting--must be Friday. 

What I meant was 5 min/hour being half average implies 10m as average, implying 10m commercials, 12m promos per Coop's suggestion.  I'm pretty sure that's not accurate, either--that'd be 20+ promos per show. 

22m of non-show material is way overboard. I watch a lot of shows on DVD and 43 minutes of actual show for a 1 hour time slot is typical. I could buy 10 minutes of commercials and 7 minutes of promos. I'd also wonder if that 5 minutes includes local commericals.

Regardless I guess we'll see...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 07:21:12 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 16, 2008, 06:39:20 PM

This is par for the course in high-stakes Hollywood. No matter how badly a TV network or a movie studio screws you, you better be ready to be diplomatic and do business with them in the future.

I believe it has more to do with the fact that Eliza Dushku is involved. As I heard it, the development deal was between Fox and Dushku and, after Whedon pitched the Dollhouse idea to her, she convinced him to come on board and help make the show.

- Ash
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on May 16, 2008, 06:45:19 PM

meh, who cares.  with DVR i just watch a show 15-20 min late and fast forward though the commercials.

yay for american soccer for getting rid of commercials years ago.

We rely on DVR too.  However this has the likelihood of reducing the actual number of commercial breaks which may actually improve the pacing of the show. 
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on May 16, 2008, 07:21:12 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 16, 2008, 06:39:20 PM

I believe it has more to do with the fact that Eliza Dushku is involved. As I heard it, the development deal was between Fox and Dushku and, after Whedon pitched the Dollhouse idea to her, she convinced him to come on board and help make the show.

- Ash

So, it's her dollhouse, and she's playing Barbie? This sounds better than the actual show itself.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »

Speaking of DVR, some shows have started doing something that seriously pisses me off.

My DVR box (from Time Warner cable) can record two shows simultaneously, but no more. I keep running into situations where a show will intentionally run long - say, American Idol will run from 8:00 - 9:02. What this does is screw me up from recording two different shows at 9:00, because the DVR is still recording American Idol for those 2 minutes and won't switch over.

I wonder if it is an intentional thing just to screw with DVR owners.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 07:58:39 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 16, 2008, 07:53:55 PM

Speaking of DVR, some shows have started doing something that seriously pisses me off.

My DVR box (from Time Warner cable) can record two shows simultaneously, but no more. I keep running into situations where a show will intentionally run long - say, American Idol will run from 8:00 - 9:02. What this does is screw me up from recording two different shows at 9:00, because the DVR is still recording American Idol for those 2 minutes and won't switch over.

Oh, it's absolutely intentional--that's why it's scheduled as such for 2 weeks before it airs. 
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 08:08:32 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 16, 2008, 07:58:39 PM

Oh, it's absolutely intentional--that's why it's scheduled as such for 2 weeks before it airs. 

What's worse is that, if you're really paying attention, you can notice that shows that are scheduled like that often don't use the full time. I watched something the other night and thought, "Now why did the TiVo need to record for 1:02 when the show was over at 0:58?" Tongue

Fortunately, I don't watch enough shows for that to really be a problem - needing to record two shows at once right on the heels of a third show just doesn't happen to me.

- Ash
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 16, 2008, 07:58:39 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on May 16, 2008, 07:53:55 PM

It serves two purposes:

1) Screw with DVR owners as mentioned.

2) Try and keep people from changing the channel since shows on other channels will have already started and you missed the first couple of minutes. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: