http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 10:57:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox Business Defends Video Games?  (Read 197 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »

John Stossel defends video game violence

We’re a long way from Fox News “cleverly” referring to the 360 as the “sex box” during the limp Mass Effect debate.   A recent Kotaku article found a clip of the John Stossel show during which the mustachioed host lets guest Franklin Graham give himself just enough rope before tossing over a tree limb.

The son of televangelist Billy Graham seemed to be expecting the division of Fox News to be on his side (along with the side of senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, whose attack on video games prompted the news segment), but Stossel only tossed in an offhanded, “right to defend gun rights” when referencing the NRA before laying into the man with a number of facts that seemed to stagger Graham to the point where he could only respond, “I agree with you, but…”

It’s good stuff and worth a watch, if only to give yourself ammunition the next time you find yourself having to defend your hobby to your family or peers or spouse.  My wife overheard the bit about taxing videogame violence before declaring it a good idea and walking away.  I imagine I’ll have to store these bits of info for future use.  Otherwise I’m facing an uncomfortable day.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 01:23:52 AM »

I do think that violence is too ubiquitous in the games industry, but there will probably be a big change coming in the next few years due to all the new "indie" mid-tier games coming back on market.

Part of the reason why violence is so prevalent is that almost all publishers want those violent games.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:40:10 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 23, 2013, 01:23:52 AM

I do think that violence is too ubiquitous in the games industry, but there will probably be a big change coming in the next few years due to all the new "indie" mid-tier games coming back on market.

Part of the reason why violence is so prevalent is that almost all publishers want those violent games.

And the reason they want them is because that's what people are buying.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: