http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 09:48:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Four Things I Learned By Watching "G4TV Rewind"  (Read 1573 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2008, 11:24:34 PM »

We all know that G4 the best place for anyone craving a five-hour marathon of Cops, but did you know that the network used to be dedicated to gaming and technology?  It's true!  And to prove it, they've just started airing a mid-morning block of their old shows!

Here are four things I learned this week that I didn't know before:

1) Actor Wil Wheaton was one of the original hosts of Arena, but quit because the show's producer was a lazy, obnoxious asshole who was quietly rigging the competitions.  Kevin Pereira, who worked as a PA for the network at the time, got his big on-camera break due to desperation to find a new permanent host who would work cheap (and, I assume, be so grateful that he wouldn't rock the boat like Wheaton).

2) Portal was first envisioned as a quasi-informational show covering major events in MMO games, as seen by their inhabitants -- "Live from the scene of the latest orc rampage!" and that sort of thing.  However, once they realized that all the MMOs combined didn't produce nearly enough material to fill 23-minutes a week, they decided to start making up their own storylines and the series gradually morphed into the bizarre character-based dramedy we know today.

3) The television series G4TV.com was originally nothing more than a videotape of the live podcast they broadcast every week from the website, and as such, would literally begin right in the middle of whatever conversation they were having at the time.  Laura Foy's was brought into the show to moderate and give voice to the chatroom, but she had such good chemistry with Scott Rubin and Tina Wood that she was eventually promoted to co-host.

4) Kristin Holt was every bit as vapid, bland, and talentless when she first joined the network as she is today.

-Autistic Angel
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:46:40 PM »

That channel does nothing for me now. It was once great but it stinks to high heaven now. The combined looks of Kristin Holt, Layla Kaylee, and Olivia Munn cannot boost it's ratings.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »

Here's what gets me about Cinematech.

The game companies release enough video footage on a weekly basis that they could easily fill a 22 minute show once a week with new trailers. 

However, G4 routinely would put out one or two shows every few months, if that often, and replay them ad nauseam.  It's sad, really, and Gametrailers TV isn't much better, showcasing one huge interview and a few trailers in each show.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 11:54:42 PM »

If you want a taste of the old shows from when it was ZDnet tv then I have 2 sites....

DLtv This is my favorite. It used to be hosted by Patrick Norton but he left too. Now it has Lloyd Case and some others from old Screen Savers fame and such.

The Lab with Leo laPorte Yep its Leo from The Screen Savers. Has his own show from the cold wilds of igloo infested Canada.

EDIT: Aw shit, looks like Leo is off the net..bummer.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:30:07 AM »

Kevin Pereira annoys me to no end. I absolutely hate when he goes on to talk about something he has no clue about, trying to look smart. And yeah, the network is pretty much dead to me now since The Lab with Leo got cancelled.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 02:37:33 AM by Rumpy » Logged
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »

Until, for whatever stupid reason, my cable carrier decided to switch G4 to a premium channel I really only watched it for Ninja Warrior.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »

I used to watch Icons, but other than that I don't miss having that channel at all.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:12:43 AM »

The problem I always had with Icons was that on a subject like Peter Molyneux, the show might spend eighteen minutes talking about the founding of Bullfrog and the development of Populous, and then gloss over the next fifteen years in a single paragraph.  If any series on G4 ever needed to be extended to a full hour, that's the one.

Of course, Icons on its worst day was still preferable to dreck like Star Trek 2.0.  Trek reruns on their own might not be so bad, but what could possibly possess me to want to watch them in a box the size of a postage stamp while the rest of my screen is overtaken by an idiotic internet chat log and a "Spock Market" ticker? 'tarded!

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:20:08 AM »

The only thing you need to know about G4s downfall is that they now have a show called "Hurl", in which several contestants compete in eating contests, after which they do different activities to see who can last the longest without throwing up.  I wish I was making that up.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 04:56:18 AM »

Kristen Holt is too talented. Just check out these talents.

And a better picture:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:01:23 AM by cheeba » Logged
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 10:56:12 AM »

The correct word for those is assets.

Talent would involve her use of said assets. She will never prove that talent to any of us and will thus remain a talentless waste of space when it comes to her presence on G4.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 01:29:48 PM »

Kristin Holt is super sexy and anything she does is automatically better because if it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 02:26:39 PM »

so sad...TechTV was somewhat decent.  G4 just blows.  no amount of chics in low cut shirts can save them now. 

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

I hate to admit this, but Attack of the Show and X-Play are guilty pleasures of mine. X-Play I find is good to turn on while I'm doing something around the house, or folding laundry or something. And I watched Attack of the Show last year for awhile, mostly for the first 20 minutes or so where they show the internet videos. If they tease something for later in the show that looks interesting, I'll keep watching, but usually I turn it off after awhile.

Of course, I haven't watched either show in a couple months now. But with almost all of the shows I like finished for the season, I'll probably start recording them again.

There, I said it.  paranoid

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 05:16:51 PM »

Ever since G4 got moved exclusively to Digital Cable, I haven't watched it. My digital cable box is HD and my Tivo only supports low-def (stupid three year contract). I have caught a few minutes of XPlay on occasion over the last year, and I enjoy their new gaming news with reviews and a more live-feeling format. Plus they got rid of all that viewer web interaction crap, so that was good.

The good news is my Tivo contract is finally coming to an end, so I can switch to an HD DVR. I'll probably start recording XPlay again. The rest of the channel can rot in a pit for all I care.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 05:45:09 PM »

Quote from: scraper
Kristin Holt is super sexy and anything she does is automatically better because if it.

I call this the Denise Richards Gambit: she can't act, but at least she's more photogenic than the average cafeteria lunch lady.  If only there were pretty girls who could also act....

Beauty and charisma are not synonyms, nor are they mutually exclusive.  G4 used to know that.  Watch a couple of these G4TV.com reruns they're airing: Tina Wood and Laura Foy are both pretty, but much more importantly, they're great on camera and know what they're talking about.  The same could be said for other former hosts like Sarah Lane and Lauren Fielder, but since talented people demand better salaries and higher standards, they've all been replaced by bland bikini models who can read teleprompters.

If I needed someone who could belt out a great song, Kristin Holt could probably make the short list.  When it comes to hosting a TV series, she really pales in comparison to her predecessors.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: