http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:52:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgotten Realms recommendations?  (Read 889 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »

After Martin and Abercrombie, I'm dying to get back to some more traditional fantasy novels.  Forgotten Realms seems a good place to start.  I've read most, if not all, of the Icewind Dale stuff, and apart from that the only other thing I've read is Azure Bonds, way back when I was a kid.

Where should I go next?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »

I'm going off my memory from many many years ago, so take that as you may. I would read all the later Drizzt/Drow stuff as that is probably still the best. This is really just poorly written pulp like books. But they are somewhat entertaining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_novels

The Avatar series was by far my favorite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avatar_Series

Cleric Quintet wasn't bad. Also written by RA Salvatore.

Didn't really love the Harpers, although some of the books were ok.

The Shandril saga wasn't bad, starting with Spellfire.

You have the computer game inspired ones like Baldurs Gate and Pools of Radiance, etc. I hate to say it, but I disliked more than I liked in these books so listing everything I didn't like would take too long.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:21 PM »

He's formulaic and might get a lot of hate for me suggesting it, but if you want something more "fun" and less rigorous, I really recommend the original Belgariad quintology by David Eddings. Great stuff, holds up well for me as fun traditional light fantasy, I reread them every few years. For Forgotten Realms, the Cleric Quintet is fun, as is most of the Drizzt stuff. I'd also really recommend Bassingwaith's recent trilogy set in Eberron, I can't remember the title of the trilogy. I really love it, it read very much like a D&D campaign. I hope he continues further stories with at least some of the characters sometime in the future (there are several possible directions he could take a new series).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:08:21 PM »

I haven't read them in a long time, but I liked the Shannara books and Raymond Feist's Krondor books. On the darker side is Robin Hobbs' Assaisin series.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:29:29 PM »

I've never read them, but Paul S. Kemp has gotten some decent notices for his Forgotten Realms work recently. 

However, if you are just looking for traditional fantasy reading then I would have to say that Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind is easily among the best in that category I've read in years though it's not D&D. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:01 AM »

Clerics Quintet was pretty fun and worth reading, as was the Avatar series.  I remember the Moonshae Trilogy and the Maztica Trilogy being fairly decent as well.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:39:55 AM »

Wow, lots of suggestions here, thanks guys!  I'd completely forgotten about David Eddings; I read his Elenium trilogy a long time ago and loved it.  It's going to be a toss-up between one of his series or something else recommended here.

That's my reading for the rest of the year sorted!

Steam profile
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »

Another vote for the Belgariad.  They aren't deep, by any means, but they are a lot of fun.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »

Aye. Belgariad or Feist over FR. Although look at the Avatar series. A pretty epic/dark story.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »

I read The Hunter's Blade trilogy and The Orc King last year.  They're not spectacularly written and Drizzt still whines too much.  Still, I enjoyed them.  The various antagonists were interesting and Salvatore did a good job of telling a war story in a high-magic fantasy world. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 04:45:12 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on August 20, 2008, 01:51:00 PM

Another vote for the Belgariad.  They aren't deep, by any means, but they are a lot of fun.

That's what I thought of the Elenium; it'd never win any awards for literary genius, but damn it was a good read.  Great characters.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.  Any more are most welcome!

Steam profile
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 05:41:56 PM »

Don't forget to follow the Belgariad with the Malloreon and the Belgarath and Polgara books.  Anyone read The Rivan Codex to know if it's worth pulling back the curtain?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:43:57 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: