http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:21:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Calvin!  (Read 1188 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2006, 02:37:36 PM »

A very special Calvin and Hobbes!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 02:42:10 PM »

That is awful.  More damage there to my childhood memories than that Thundercats news!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 03:29:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2006, 02:37:36 PM

Dude, you and I have always been friends. Bros. Partners in crime. Until today. Sir, what the fuck is wrong with you? Why would you dare even post such a vile, foul, dirty, repulsive, offensive bastardization of that which is so great. Calvin and Hobbes means more to me than you, sir. Nay, it means more to me than the whole internet.

I pray you will reconsider this behavior, and I will proceed to wipe that soulless abomination from my memories forever.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 03:30:47 PM »

Wasn't that strip posted a while back and a huge discussion ensued?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 22, 2006, 03:30:47 PM

Wasn't that strip posted a while back and a huge discussion ensued?

No discussion is needed. It is heresy, it is abomination. It completely and utterly misses the point of Calvin and Hobbes. Speak no further heathen, or suffer my wrath.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 03:49:20 PM »

As to the original Calvin and Hobbes, I agree it is an abomination.  I believe it was being portrayed as a look in to our current culture of heavily medicating our school aged children.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 03:54:02 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 22, 2006, 03:49:20 PM

As to the original Calvin and Hobbes, I agree it is an abomination.  I believe it was being portrayed as a look in to our current culture of heavily medicating our school aged children.

You mean the original faux strip in this thread, right? Not the actual, original Calvin and Hobbes?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 03:56:35 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 22, 2006, 03:54:02 PM

You mean the original faux strip in this thread, right? Not the actual, original Calvin and Hobbes?

Poor phrasing, I was saying that the faux strip in this thread is an abomination to the original Calvin and Hobbes. (yes I own the multiple hardcover book collection that released this past year, Calvin and Hobbes is my all time favorite strip).

That aside, it is a very poignant look into society if you are familiar with the real calvin and hobbes strips.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 03:59:17 PM »

The notions that ADD and ADHD are overdiagnosed and Ritalin analogues are overprescribed are quite arguable and reasonable.

The unscientific notion that Ritalin and similar drugs destroy a child's creativity and imagination is not.  It's a wholy unscientific nonsense.  It's reminiscent of the '60s-'70s feckless notion that various forms of psychosis are romantic and beautiful and that medicating insane people destroys their creativity.

It misses the point.  It's like meeting someone who is worried that antibiotics are overprescribed -- not because the overuse might reduce our ability to fight infections, but because he read on the internet that Lyndon LaRouche says antibiotics cause cancer.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 04:04:28 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on August 22, 2006, 03:59:17 PM

The notions that ADD and ADHD are overdiagnosed and Ritalin analogues are overprescribed are quite arguable and reasonable.

The unscientific notion that Ritalin and similar drugs destroy a child's creativity and imagination is not.  It's a wholy unscientific nonsense.  It's reminiscent of the '60s-'70s feckless notion that various forms of psychosis are romantic and beautiful and that medicating insane people destroys their creativity.

It misses the point.  It's like meeting someone who is worried that antibiotics are overprescribed -- not because the overuse might reduce our ability to fight infections, but because he read on the internet that Lyndon LaRouche says antibiotics cause cancer.

Agreed, the drugs themselves do not seem to stiffle creativity in a child.  However if a child who expresses a vivid imagination is put on one of these drugs they typically self regulate thier creativity due to being told that it was wrong by parents/teachers who don't want to deal with them.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 04:08:33 PM »

Damnit, dont you two go and make this thread serious. This was CeeKay's way of trying to kick me in the nuts and laugh about it!!  :slywink:
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 04:16:32 PM »

CeeKay, CeeKay, CeeKay.... How could you, CeeKay.... sigh....  icon_cry

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 05:28:56 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 22, 2006, 04:04:28 PM

Agreed, the drugs themselves do not seem to stiffle creativity in a child.  However if a child who expresses a vivid imagination is put on one of these drugs they typically self regulate thier creativity due to being told that it was wrong by parents/teachers who don't want to deal with them.

Having been a child put on Ritalin, I found myself far less creative when taking the drug.  While I found myself a better student in the traditional sense, my mind no longer made the tangential connections that inspired the best of my artistic endeavours (writing, graphic design).  I do not pretend to know how Ritalin affects children on a grander scale, and will fully admit that I probably learned more completely while on the drug.  However, I felt that the muting of my creative mind was too high a price to pay to be a "good student" and haven't taken the medication since.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 05:34:06 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on August 22, 2006, 05:28:56 PM

Quote from: Arkon on August 22, 2006, 04:04:28 PM

Having been a child put on Ritalin, I found myself far less creative when taking the drug.  While I found myself a better student in the traditional sense, my mind no longer made the tangential connections that inspired the best of my artistic endeavours (writing, graphic design).  I do not pretend to know how Ritalin affects children on a grander scale, and will fully admit that I probably learned more completely while on the drug.  However, I felt that the muting of my creative mind was too high a price to pay to be a "good student" and haven't taken the medication since.

You know what they say about the plural of "anecdote" -- icon_wink   -- but I've heard the opposite:  people who were able to express creativity in a way they had not before.  My cousin, for instance, went from being very unhappy in school and a poor student, with few outlets for creativity, to being a voracious reader and avid writer of stories.  The impact may vary from person to person.  But I'd want to see a scientific basis for the notion that it actually impairs creativity.  The meme is just too close to the unscientific ones that have been used to suppress treatment of mental conditions in the past.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 05:57:16 PM »

I'm sorry, but did you just equate adolescent ADD to clinical psychosis?

Here's the thing.  The Piaget-ian school system of grades and tiers makes for a really fucking boring learning experience.  Combine that with Western culture's obsession with factual knowledge and deductive reasoning vis-a-vis the scientific method, and you create a "learning" environment which STRONGLY favors linear thought processes such as rote memorization and cause-and-effect analysis.

Now let's look at ritalin.  Ritalin, if you weren't aware, is not a depressant, despite the notion that it 'calms kids down.'  It's a stimulant.  Specifically, it stimulates areas of the brain that help with linear processing, which makes it easier, and possibly even more rewarding, for people to "focus" on linear tasks.

What happens, then, is quite predictable, considering our country's rabid pre-collegiate competitivism and massively dissatisfied, bored, unhappy GenX-er parents who just love to project their stresses and neuroses onto their children:  If the American school system is a circle-shaped hole, and their child is a square-shaped peg, ritalin can and certainlly will smooth out the kid's edges until he or she fits snugly into our crooked and completely unfounded ideas regarding what "intelligence," "scholasticism," or even "success" are.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 05:58:57 PM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 06:06:26 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 22, 2006, 05:57:16 PM

I'm sorry, but did you just equate adolescent ADD to clinical psychosis?

No.  Read it again.  I compared romanticizing one to romanticizing another.

Here's the thing.  The Piaget-ian school system of grades and tiers makes for a really fucking boring learning experience.  Combine that with Western culture's obsession with factual knowledge and deductive reasoning vis-a-vis the scientific method, and you create a "learning" environment which STRONGLY favors linear thought processes such as rote memorization and cause-and-effect analysis.

Boring for some people, at least.  Sure.

Now let's look at ritalin.  Ritalin, if you weren't aware, is not a depressant, despite the notion that it 'calms kids down.'  It's a stimulant.  Specifically, it stimulates areas of the brain that help with linear processing, which makes it easier, and possibly even more rewarding, for people to "focus" on linear tasks.

I believe that's rather widely known.

What happens, then, is quite predictable, considering our country's rabid pre-collegiate competitivism and massively dissatisfied, bored, unhappy GenX-er parents who just love to project their stresses and neuroses onto their children:  If the American school system is a circle-shaped hole, and their child is a square-shaped peg, ritalin can and certainlly will smooth out the kid's edges until he or she fits snugly into our crooked and completely unfounded ideas regarding what "intelligence," "scholasticism," or even "success" are.

Note the danger of going to the OTHER extreme.  No doubt ADD and ADHD are overdiagnosed -- possibly even very substantially overdiagnosed.  And Ritalin and analogues may be heavily oversubscribed -- either for individual reasons or as part of a general trend towards pharmo approaches to behavior.  That doesn't mean ADD and ADHD don't exist, or that Ritalin doesn't help anyone.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 06:07:22 PM »

If you fools would check the longest running most viewed thread in the history of the universe, you would have seen it there.

The strip, for its intent, is brilliant.

For those of us who are huge Calvin and Hobbes fans, it's a huge kick in the gut because of the consequences of what it means. But I've said that before in the longest running most viewed thread in the history of the universe.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on August 22, 2006, 06:06:26 PM

That doesn't mean ADD and ADHD don't exist, or that Ritalin doesn't help anyone.
I agree.  But I wasn't even trying to refute that in my post, so I don't see what it has to do with anything.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 06:27:46 PM »

I weep for my thread.  crybaby But you guys go on and enjoy-seems you have a good discussion brewing.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 07:41:31 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 22, 2006, 06:27:46 PM

I weep for my thread.  crybaby But you guys go on and enjoy-seems you have a good discussion brewing.

I'm sorry.  I wasn't paying attention.   icon_biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 07:54:51 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 22, 2006, 07:41:31 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 22, 2006, 06:27:46 PM

I'm sorry.  I wasn't paying attention.   icon_biggrin
drillsergeant SNAP!!
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 08:25:17 PM »

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 12:37:57 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 22, 2006, 03:29:28 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2006, 02:37:36 PM

Dude, you and I have always been friends. Bros. Partners in crime. Until today. Sir, what the fuck is wrong with you? Why would you dare even post such a vile, foul, dirty, repulsive, offensive bastardization of that which is so great. Calvin and Hobbes means more to me than you, sir. Nay, it means more to me than the whole internet.

I pray you will reconsider this behavior, and I will proceed to wipe that soulless abomination from my memories forever.

what, can't an evil twin have some fun?  betcha would've read cain the riot act.....  icon_twisted

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2006, 03:49:38 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on August 22, 2006, 04:16:32 PM

CeeKay, CeeKay, CeeKay.... How could you, CeeKay.... sigh....  icon_cry

Because I can,
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2006, 06:20:53 AM »

Wow. That is a pretty awful strip.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: