http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 08:53:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Football is Coming!!! YEAH!!!  (Read 7572 times)
Biyobi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2005, 10:47:53 PM »

More goodies for the Steelers-Pats debate: Have some more time!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2005, 11:15:59 PM »

Interesting, but who knows what would have happened.  Pats might have held the ball more on the preceding drive to stop the Steelers from having a shot to tie, or any other number of things.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2005, 11:19:02 PM »

Can't believe the niners lost to the most overrated QB. GRRRRR. Reminded me of the Mooch days. Play hard for the 1st half, then suck the 2nd half

Bledsoe, amazingly, just past Montana for yardage by a QB into 8th place.  Pretty amazing.  

At least in your Mooch days you made the playoffs smile.  

Each of the new head coaches is doing well so far, getting teams with limited talent to play well.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2005, 12:13:20 AM »

I never said the Pats COULDN'T lose to the Steelers, in fact I think they SHOULD lose to them.

My point remains - If they couldn't get it done this past Sunday, why on earth would you think they could next game?

This has almost nothing to do with the Pats and Steelers - It could be any two teams. Tampa in GB, NE in Miami, Philly vs. anyone in the NFC Championship game. Eventually those teams broke through, but you could have made a lot of money betting against them for years.

Pats play the Steelers in the playoffs, I know where my money goes.

Same with the Pats vs. Colts.

It's also fun debating this with Steelers fans (I work about 5 feet from one) - The Pats drive them nuts.

But as any Steelers fan could say - "4 is still more than 3"

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2005, 01:04:33 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"

My point remains - If they couldn't get it done this past Sunday, why on earth would you think they could next game?

Two reasons: The law of averages.  Any two teams that play each other often enough over the years will eventually yield that one team winds up winnning at least one out of the many games, even if thery give up the majority.  It's all a question of when will the sun shine on that particular dog.

Reason two:  I can't see the Pats starters dropping dead left and right being something that will make a Steeler win a greater impossibility should the matchup occur.  You guys are in for 13 more weeks of teams who have circled your game on their schedule, just like us.  If they can make you play one tenth of the same roster attrition that the Steelers did, your waterboy might be covering Hines Ward in January. We need to work on our condtioning, but you guys need to work on your bone knitting.  I like our end of that bargain better

Now I'll surprise you.  The extra 50+ seconds from that clock error does not bother me.  It happened early in the fourth quarter. It was too far removed tiimewise to influence the last two minutes.  That, and once that end of game is declared, that's how it goes on the record. Can't change it, so don't sweat it.

Done posting
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2005, 01:57:28 AM »

If you are counting on the law of averages and injuries for a win then there's something wrong with your team.

The law of averages might cause the Steelers to lose to the Bengals this year too.

13 Weeks of teams that have circled tha Pats on their schedule? Try 51 weeks!! After winning the Super Bowl you are a target, after winning 3 you are the game of the year every week, for every team.

As for the injuries, yeah they can cripple any team, you assume Hines' hammy is going to hold up or Benny's shoulder/arm/whatever got hurt will too. They have gotten by nicely with the 3rd string RB though (if Cowher wanted to use him).

Injuries take everything off the table but I think we all know that the Pats do just about as well as anyone when losing All-Pros during the season. Law, Woody, Seymour, Washington, all the wideouts and the whole secondary last year, etc. - This is a team that won the Super Bowl with Richard Seymour out, Kevin Kasper at WR, and Hank Poteat (4 days off the street) and (WR)Troy Brown in the secondary. Your law of averages say that this should catch up to them at some point, OR you could look at it and say they've compensated for so long with so many different players that they are prepared to deal with it.

I'm sure the Steelers will be fine, and maybe win the Super Bowl, but if they have to go through the Pats, I'll expect them to lose.

Again, this has nothing to do with the Steelers and Pats but these two teams don't seem to match up well for the Steelers.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2005, 02:39:35 AM »

Ok I really wanted to continue talking football but this has spiralled so far out of control that I am going to wait for the next thread so that maybe we can all start with a clean slate and actually consider each other's points instead of just talking past each other. It's amazing how much hate the Patriots generate (from myself included).
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2005, 03:18:48 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Ok I really wanted to continue talking football but this has spiralled so far out of control that I am going to wait for the next thread so that maybe we can all start with a clean slate...

Set it up,  I welcome it.

As for the rest of the back and forth, the Pats can't win forever.  Expect whatever makes you comfortable.  Just know that even though I might be wrong when it is all over this year, that doesn't mean past history and Pats fans must be right.   None of us will know until we play the games.  This year looks promising.

I think this all could have been avoided if someone didn't expect a week 3 loss to make fans feel ashamed.  I know I would have never stepped in if not for that.  Say something ridiculous, and stuff happens I guess.

Done posting
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2005, 11:56:14 AM »

Hey!

Serenity Now

LD  Tongue

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2005, 01:10:38 PM »

It's amazing how much hate the Patriots generate (from myself included).

...and there is the real issue!

Poor Steelers. Maybe it's the 25 years without a Super Bowl that makes their fans so edgy.

You'll always last year's regular season game and that big 7-6 win in the '97 playoffs to throw in our faces.  Tongue

What's wrong with a little banter between the fans of 2 great teams after they just played a game that came down to the last second 2 days ago?

Forgive us for keeping everyone away from some good Cardinals talk.  :wink:

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2005, 01:54:57 PM »

Not trying to throw wood on the fire...

But after all those years of watching some really bad Patriots fans, this is still just wonderous.  I was watching the game and even being down and with all those turnovers and injuries, I couldn't help but wonder how the Patriots would manage to win the game.  It is such a strange feeling still having grown up a Patriots and Red Sox fan.

For the Patriots haters, Rodney Harrison's injury is unfortunately career threatening.  That absolutley sucks for the guy, as well as the Defense.  I wouldn't wish an injury like that even on Romanowski (I know he isn't playing anymore).

Oh and Scott, stop with the Bledsoe bashing, damnit.  He only has two less Superbowl rings than Brady, and one less appearance smile

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2005, 03:04:27 PM »

Pretty much comes down to jealousy, and the fact that your team sucks I imagine.

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2005, 04:38:42 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"

Pretty much comes down to jealousy, and the fact that your team sucks I imagine.

Way to be an ass about it. Definately a reason to even attempt to communciate about football in this thread.  :roll:
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2005, 08:49:41 PM »

Poor Steelers. Maybe it's the 25 years without a Super Bowl that makes their fans so edgy.

Poor Pats fans. Maybe it is the several decades of winning absolutely nothing that caused their fans to not learn how to keep from acting like jerks when they finally won a couple.

Done posting
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2005, 10:53:46 PM »

Poor Pats fans. Maybe it is the several decades of winning absolutely nothing that caused their fans to not learn how to keep from acting like jerks when they finally won a couple.

That could be it - Or maybe some people can't deal with a little trash talk and take things way too personally.

Hey Rage, we know you have an irrational hatred for the Pats (which is fine) but are you even a Steelers fan? If not maybe you should come out and let us know your team so I can rip them too!

the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2005, 11:28:20 PM »

Really? We have gone from "The Steeler's can't beat the Pats." to "Okay, it might happen, but can't you take a joke?"

You really must learn to talk trash better than that if you plan to keep this farce up with other people.

But don't do it on my account; it's time for me to enjoy a bye week.  If you want to get the last word on this, be my guest.  take your time and think up a really good one. I'll be gone until October 10th, and hopefully by then you learn how to say something worth reading.

Done posting
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2005, 12:12:39 AM »

You can't really be leaving until the 10th!?!?

Taking the bye week off? You going to help Cowher with the gameplan? What happens if the Pats lose to the Chargers this week? Rage will have to pick up the slack.

Come on Night, don't get all unbreakable on me, let me buy you a beer and we'll beat up a team that everyone hates...The Giants!!

the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2005, 01:00:39 AM »

Allright, I was giving it a break, hoping at best a post like this would come out of it, at the worst to quit annoying people not interested in Pats V Steelers, So I guess there is no need to keep out of it until the 10th.  

But yeah I don't know how you guessed it... I have to go into the practice facility early tomorrow to help Bill to trim the moustache and to file the cleft in that chin.

I think the Chargers forgot L-Tom is on the roster.  You might hypnotize Shotty and see if that helps to maintain the amnesia.

Listening to the Pens exhibition against the Columbus Blue Jackets.  Someone forgot to tell Lemeuix he's old; he's all over the ice and has the Pens up 6-1 in the 2nd period.

Plaxico got on with the Giants this off season, and he was talking crap on how the team didn't use his talents right by making him the #1 reciever on a heavy running team.  We should have gave him the ball more, somehow? He also got on the fans because he though they never accepted him for who he was.  I think that is unfair.  We accepted that he's the reciever that had left 1 out of every 5 balls thrown his way on the turf, and the reciever that was 6+ feet tall and couldn't run a fade.   We fans were glad that he didn't give us a shot to make him an offer.   He thinks it because he acted like a thuglife punk and we couldn't deal, but really it was because he wasn't a reliable #1 reciever, yet we would have had to pay him like one

Done posting
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2005, 01:13:30 AM »

There ya go!!!

I thought the Chargers would look much better than they have so far this year but at any momnet the could catch fire. LT can take over a game if they choose to use him. Solid on both sides of the ball.

There are soooo many reasons to hate the Giants! Plex is just one of them. Maybe if Captain Dropsey held on to the ball Hines wouldn't have to do everything in the receiving corps. I love Hines. How's his hammy?

I can't stand the Giants but the only reasons I can think of right now are:
1)Coughlin
2)Snee
3)Shockey
4)Phil Simms
5)Manning
6)Tiki
7)Plex
8)New York Media Bias

-Not to go too far off topic but the Pens are going to kick ass this year. If they get any help on D they should run away with the Cup! -

the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2005, 01:44:51 AM »

With the Bye week,  the injury reports are generally few in Pittsburgh.  They really turn off the lights and the heat and take the whole week off over there when they get the Bye.  I wouldn't worry about Hines and Ben's bruises,  Heck, Bus should be set to go by Oct 10.  Everyone who is down should have time to heal up, no one is that wrecked.

A non scoring, traditional defenseman was the only thing the Pens did not accquire in free agency despite a desire to do so, but if they can put up 3-4 a game, it might be inconsequential.  It's still 7-2 in the third.

And If given a chance I would gladly beat Simms to death with a pair of his own cleats, and tie young Manning to an anthill at the San Diego 50 yd line.  Be glad you're an instant millionaire, you punk! Play where they let you. When you're 37, you'll be wishing the Chargers would pick you up

Done posting
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2005, 12:17:07 PM »

Way to be an ass about it. Definately a reason to even attempt to communciate about football in this thread. Rolling Eyes

Sorry if I phrased that poorly.  I basically meant that there aren't that many reasons to hate the Pats.  The Pats players don't make waves outside of football.  Its not like the Cowboy dynasty with players hitting strip clubs, selling drugs, etc.  There aren't any players on the Pats like Ray Lewis that constantly trump themselves.  There are no Randy Moss players, or Terrel Owens players, that make waves.

I probably wouldn't like them either if I lived outside this area, simply because they keep winning, and not giving other teams a chance.  Other teams just aren't as good.

I have no pretense that they'll win this year.  They aren't as good now with some big blows because of injuries, and Johnson and Bruschi gone.  The Patriots can't run the ball this year either, and have the hardest opening schedule ever according to the Elias Sports Bureau or whatever that group is.

I actually respect the Titans, and think Fischer does a good job.  I think McNair is terribly overrated, but that's another discussion.

Hey Rage, we know you have an irrational hatred for the Pats (which is fine) but are you even a Steelers fan? If not maybe you should come out and let us know your team so I can rip them too!

He's a Titans fan as far as I know.

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2005, 07:18:47 PM »

I must have misunderstood you Scott-I thought what you said was way different from what you just posted and it seemed pretty snarky.

I am a Titans fan, and very proud of it. Youngest team in the NFL, I believe fewest starters remaining-we still have a suprisingly efficient offense (with the chance to get really good with Norm Chow and some free agents), we have a run defense that stifled Jamal Lewis and Marshall Faulk/Steven Jackson (although Willie Parker took us to town), but unfortunately we have a pass defense as pourous as swiss cheese, which is why I think we are an 8-8 team this year. Either way, I know we are not in contention, but I think we have a talented nucleus of a team that will get better after we escape salary cap hell. But I am not afraid to admit my team isn't as good as yours right now. Thats just the way it is.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2005, 07:50:49 PM »

I must have misunderstood you Scott-I thought what you said was way different from what you just posted and it seemed pretty snarky.

I definitely phrased it poorly, sorry.  I was in a hurry, frustrated at work most likely, etc.  Beyond the Pats just being good, and constantly winning, I don't see many reasons to dislike them.  I'd rather see them win, then say the Ravens, Raiders, or other teams with me-first attitudes and players.

The Titans will get better, Fischer is a pretty good coach, one of the better ones in the league I think.  I was surprised to see how badly they beat up on Baltimore, but I think that says a lot about Baltimore too.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2005, 08:01:33 PM »

Scott always seems to foget Corey "Citizen/Husband of the Year" Dillon when mentioning Mother Teresa's Patriots.

Titans! No wonder your so angry!!  :wink:

McNair is over rated! I've always wanted to know when you cross the line from being a "Warrior" to being "Fragile". I give him credit for playing through a lot, but he's Griffey-like with the injuries.

Would he at least find Bennet in the endzone and help my fantasy team out?

They are in transition and should get better in a tough division...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2005, 08:19:36 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"

I definitely phrased it poorly, sorry.  I was in a hurry, frustrated at work most likely, etc.  Beyond the Pats just being good, and constantly winning, I don't see many reasons to dislike them.  I'd rather see them win, then say the Ravens, Raiders, or other teams with me-first attitudes and players.

The Titans will get better, Fischer is a pretty good coach, one of the better ones in the league I think.  I was surprised to see how badly they beat up on Baltimore, but I think that says a lot about Baltimore too.

I think the titans will be like that this year-every couple of games the pass defense will click with the rush defense, Norm Chows system will kick in, and they will kick ass-they almost scored with the Rams during that game-as ugly as it was, and that first drive against the Steelers was a thing of beauty before the total collapse. I think we are going to suprise some good teams and lose some really ugly ones. I am with you on Fisher though-even if he wasn't the coach of my team, I think he is about as classy and skilled as an NFL head coach gets.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2005, 10:37:05 PM »

Scott always seems to foget Corey "Citizen/Husband of the Year" Dillon when mentioning Mother Teresa's Patriots.

What issues has Dillon caused since becoming a Pat?  Has he trumpted himself, caused off the field issues, alienated team members, etc.?  Was he a Patriot when he went on trial  for murder, or sold drugs?

Your anti-Dillon argument is getting a bit old now smile.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2005, 12:21:37 AM »

Life begins when you put on the Flying Elvis helmet?

You or I would be in jail.

Not to mention he quit on his team, but they weren't good, so that's OK.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2005, 01:21:36 AM »

Quote from: "the Nightbreeze"
Plaxico got on with the Giants this off season, and he was talking crap on how the team didn't use his talents right by making him the #1 reciever on a heavy running team.

My favorite Plaxico moment is when he forgot he wasn't in college any more.  After catching a nice pass across the middle and ending up on the turf he jumped up, spiked the ball, and started celebrating.  Never mind he was never touched (thus not down) and the opposing team picked up the fumble.  Classic!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2005, 03:01:15 AM »

Well, he is in good company... Barry Sanders did the same damn thing, maybe he wasnt as vocal about it, but he gave up on the Lions.  It pisses me off because I loved to watch that guy run.  You can tell me Walter Payton is the best of all time, but Barry Sanders was more fun to watch.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2005, 04:04:33 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"

Well, he is in good company... Barry Sanders did the same damn thing, maybe he wasnt as vocal about it, but he gave up on the Lions.  It pisses me off because I loved to watch that guy run.  You can tell me Walter Payton is the best of all time, but Barry Sanders was more fun to watch.

Barry Sanders was a much better runner.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2005, 11:45:15 AM »

Life begins when you put on the Flying Elvis helmet?

I wasn't a Bengals fan, didn't have to defend them or him.  I care that the team I root for isn't disruptive, works hard, and sets a good example. Dillon has been great since he's been here, so I'm fine with that.  No one gets second chances with you Devil?  Owens got a second chance, and look how good he's been  :roll: .

Would we be in jail?  I don't know about that.  Keep harping on Dillon though, its amusing smile.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2005, 11:54:34 AM »

All of you anti-Pats fans will enjoy the fact that they are falling apart.  We lost Harrison for the season, possible Light (starting left tackle), and now our backup RB is out for a while (Faulk).  The Patriots just dropped Andre Davis to sign Zeroway, ugh.  The injury list is growing as well.  

At this pace, Brady will be throwing a lot, and with rookies protecting him, it will be interesting to see how he copes.

---
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2005, 02:54:30 PM »

Actually if the Patriots defense gets another injury, they'll start pulling people from the stands.  Forget the free Papa Gino's pizza in the third quarter...  It'll be a free roster spot for a game.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2005, 03:14:56 PM »

Barry Sanders quit playing period. No problem with that.

Dillon, like TO, just wanted to be on another team and acted like a jerk to get it done.

Second chances? I believe in second chances, but not on my watch, let someone else give him a second chance. 3 years ago, if I asked you if you wanted Dillon on the Pats you would have told me "No way! A guy like that doesn't belong on the Patriots."

You won't find me defending TO and his actions like you with Dillon. I'm consistent on this issue.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2005, 03:45:37 PM »

3 years ago, if I asked you if you wanted Dillon on the Pats you would have told me "No way!

Maybe I would have, didn't really follow him all that much back then.  That was earlier in the Belechick/Pioli though.  Now I have faith that they bring in team players that won't cause issues.  So I'm more then willing to trust them.

---
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2005, 06:02:39 PM »

Barry Sanders would have kept playing if Detroit would have traded him.  He was sick of losing, but at least he was respectable about it unlike TO.  He didnt make a scene, just walked away.  Think he ever regretted it?  I've always wondered that.  Maybe he just lost the passion for football all together.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2005, 06:08:05 PM »

Maybe he just lost the passion for football all together.

Seems like that was more the case. I'm sure if he still wanted to play, he would have. Sucks to lose him but he stayed retired unlike some RB in Miami.

the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2005, 07:00:38 PM »

You asked for injury notices, so I'm glad to provide.

Clark Haggins OLB is out 5 gamess (Nov 13) with a groin.

All the football I played, I never had that problem, luckily.  How bad is your groin when it puts you out a month and a half?  How hard would someone have to kick me to simulate the sensations?

Anyways, Chad Scott, Amos Zerowe, Chad Brown, Mike Vraible... pretty soon we won't have to beat the Pats in the playoffs -- this plays right to our strengths, because everyone knows we have had enough experience beating ourselves.   I thought the Steelers were only allowed to have 11 on the field at a time?

I would want Walter Payton on my team before Sanders, but I respect Barry's tallent highly, and loved to watch him play.  I think he did the right thing hanging up the cleats when he did, though.  It's years later and the light at the end of the tunnel is stilll only inching closer in Detroit.  I heard him interviewed about half a year back or more, and he admitted to being highly disappointed at how his career ended, but he feels lucky to still be young, healthy, and set for life after playing such a physically punishing position.  In the big picture I think he was looking to make his way out of football within three years of when he had the disputes that put him out, so he does not feel like he lost all that much.

Done posting
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2005, 07:45:54 PM »

Maybe he just lost the passion for football all together.

Seems like that was more the case. I'm sure if he still wanted to play, he would have. Sucks to lose him but he stayed retired unlike some RB in Miami.

People that know Barry Sanders insist he could still play today. Thats how phenomenal a specimen the guy was and is. I don't know if thats true, but man was he special. And yeah, he just quit. He didn't quit on his team, he quit football, and he did it in a quiet, respectable, totally understated way.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2005, 12:48:46 AM »

Irrelevant?

Yeah yeah, I know the Packers are 0-3 and I cant really afford to talk trash about other teams BUT come on.  See, Pittsburgh may have lost the game, but at least they didnt lose a couple key players that could cost them the season.  At any rate, go Bengals!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: