http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:32:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FoolishStudios.com redesign- need critiques  (Read 778 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2006, 03:14:52 AM »

Hey everybody, I just redesigned my personal website, http://www.foolishstudios.com, and I'm looking for critiques, suggestions, etc.  I'm ramping up my job hunt right now in a very major way as this is probably the biggest hiring month of the year, and I need this thing to market me and my work effectively without being too freaky.

Feel free to respond here or drop me a line via PM or email.  All I'm really soliciting here is opinions, so I'm not really trying to pimp my site. ( Besides, I already do that with my perpetual link on the bottom of every page on the main site  :twisted: )

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 03:18:28 AM »

Really like it actually... just a couple of critiques:

1) Could you possibly centered for those people using non-standard browser resolutions?

2) On the front page, I don't like how the 2nd (lower) quote box blends with the bottom table.  It doesn't match the rest of the site, I think.

gellar
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 03:35:49 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Really like it actually... just a couple of critiques:

1) Could you possibly centered for those people using non-standard browser resolutions?

That's on my to-do list.  I went for the quick solution of absolute positioning for now because I need to get this up in a hurry.

2) On the front page, I don't like how the 2nd (lower) quote box blends with the bottom table.  It doesn't match the rest of the site, I think.

Just fixed that little problem.  I am assuming you are using Firefox?

Mike Dunn
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 05:28:14 AM »

Looks very sharp Mike.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 12:28:29 PM »

I think it looks excellent Mike.  But then, I am already a fanboy of yours, so what would you expect me to say!   :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »

Needs pron ads.

Ye Olde Farte
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 02:29:28 PM »

For the main banner, I do not really care for the varying font sizes. I know you are trying to create some force behind the statement, but it just is not visually appealing to see it. A little too much empty space in the top portion of the banner.

I like the idea behind the "watermark" figure and the figure in the lense/bubble, but if there was a way to make the correlation more pronounced I think it would be better (perhaps you felt this way as well which is why that empty space is there I mentioned up above). I can barely even make out the little guy in the bubble, can not see his face at all.

Even though your banner statement gets the point across, I do not like seeing negatives used ("not enough"). I think something more positive would be more appropriate.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 02:41:53 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
For the main banner, I do not really care for the varying font sizes. I know you are trying to create some force behind the statement, but it just is not visually appealing to see it. A little too much empty space in the top portion of the banner.

I like the idea behind the "watermark" figure and the figure in the lense/bubble, but if there was a way to make the correlation more pronounced I think it would be better (perhaps you felt this way as well which is why that empty space is there I mentioned up above). I can barely even make out the little guy in the bubble, can not see his face at all.

Even though your banner statement gets the point across, I do not like seeing negatives used ("not enough"). I think something more positive would be more appropriate.

Yeah, not 100% on that banner.  Will probably change it up soon.  The statement is actually a quote from Buckaroo Banzai, though, and I'm awful fond of it.... unibrow

Mike Dunn
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 03:08:06 PM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
 The statement is actually a quote from Buckaroo Banzai, though, and I'm awful fond of it.... unibrow

If you read your page directly across, including the side panel it reads...

Michael Dunn   is not enough    

smile

Sure, it might be subliminal, but its still there. You do not want folks associating Michael Dunn with "not enough" now do you? slywink

I would look for something more positive for the banner, and if you really like the "not enough" quote, just move it to a not-so prominant location (like maybe right under the banner?
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 03:09:27 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
 The statement is actually a quote from Buckaroo Banzai, though, and I'm awful fond of it.... unibrow

If you read your page directly across, including the side panel it reads...

Michael Dunn   is not enough    

smile

Sure, it might be subliminal, but its still there. You do not want folks associating Michael Dunn with "not enough" now do you? slywink

I would look for something more positive for the banner, and if you really like the "not enough" quote, just move it to a not-so prominant location (like maybe right under the banner?

Ouch.  gotta change that.

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 03:50:35 PM »

Changed.  Went to an alternate quote.  made the typography a bit more interesting too

Mike Dunn
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 06:30:40 PM »

You rounded the corners of the main content frame on the bottom, why not the top to match? (Now I see that this is an IE only problem, they are rounded in FF)

The text in your logo is 'fuzzy', probably my laptop but makes it stand out... in a bad way. Same with your heading 'Latest Work'. Why don't you want to use html text at least for your main headings?

Your sub-headings (i.e. on the main page, BlabberMouth PR 2005 Christmas Card) you need a little bit of padding on the bottom. It is too tight against the body text.

I didn't really notice it at first, but after viewing in FF I notice that in your Nav you are using a dashed border. This is very different in FF and IE. The problem is that in your logo you use something like the FF dash, and in IE it looks different (worse). I would recommend using an image for your Nav separator.

It is probably just me, but I don't like the 'foolishstudios v5.0' at the top of the page. Maybe your could put it in the footer or at the bottom of the Nav?

LiveTAG: happydog
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 06:35:27 PM »

Just fixed that little problem.  I am assuming you are using Firefox?

Yep... and it's fixed.

gellar
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 03:45:15 AM »

Very clean and professional!

One thing I'd think about - make it a bit easier to navigate through your portfolio (which is IMPRESSIVE!). Let people scroll through without having to hit back or click on the portfolio button to return to the main list.

Very nice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: