http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 03:41:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida Teen Live-Streams His Suicide Online  (Read 804 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2008, 07:05:50 PM »

Sad...

A Florida teenager who used a webcam to live-stream his suicide Wednesday was reportedly encouraged by other people on the Web site, authorities told ABCNews.com.
"The bloggers said that Biggs had threatened to kill himself before and had faked it, so at first they didn't believe him," said Crane. "Gradually, as you read the blog further into the day the bloggers start commenting on how Biggs isn't moving."

Crane said comments on the thread included an exchange about whether the image of Biggs' motionless body was a still photograph or a video, and eventually resulted in one of the site's visitors calling the police, who tracked down the teen through his computer IP address.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:12:38 PM »

wasn't there either a movie about this kind of event, or a tv show about it?  i know they have had stories involving a murder posted live, but this just sounds like a plot for a law & order episode (if not, it probably will be)

it's sad that nobody took him seriously

here's the most poignant quote (from the father) i have read in a while

"The anonymity and lack of personal connection bring out the worst in people."

you said it man.  you have my sympathies.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 21, 2008, 07:12:38 PM

wasn't there either a movie about this kind of event, or a tv show about it?  i know they have had stories involving a murder posted live, but this just sounds like a plot for a law & order episode (if not, it probably will be)

There was an L&O SVU episode that was basically a play on lonelygirl15 where they fake a kidnapping but wind up going a bit too far with it. There was that recent movie with Diane Lane where the killer sets up websites that kill their victim faster when more people visit.

This can't be the first time this has happened though?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:45:45 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 21, 2008, 08:25:27 PM

This can't be the first time this has happened though?

Quote from: Page 3
The United Kingdom had an online suicide in March 2007, when 42-year-old Kevin Whitrick hanged himself while others watched. According to the BBC, some onlookers tried to stop him while others urged him on.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:50:24 PM »

He told them he was hardcore.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:00:41 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on November 21, 2008, 09:50:24 PM

He told them he was hardcore.

Indeed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »

Yet another reminder of how bad things would get if civilization really collapsed, without the social structure to keep the kind of people that would goad such a person onward from doing worse things, they actually would do those horrible things to people, or more easily fall in step behind those who would.

Of course, not too much sympathy for the person who committed suicide either, besides the usual empathy for a fellow human who was in so much emotional pain that he thought taking his life would be a good idea.  I'd always figured that if I ever had an inkling of a thought about suicide, even in passing, I'd simply work to change my life so much that I'd either be in a better position than I was, or I'd be too busy finding that place to think about it again.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:37:29 PM »

Depression doesn't allow you to do those things, Turtle.  Mine is mild in comparison to others I have been around and I know I haven't seen the worst of it, but a true depression is like an anchor around your neck.  Wanting to cast it off and not return to it does not allow one to do so.  When you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, train or not, that's a deep, dark hole to be in. 

I'm glad for you that you have the demeanor that you don't have to worry about that.  Some people don't have the wiring to bootstrap themselves out.  I can do it, but I imagine it's a longer climb for me than you.

At the end of the day, he is responsible for the actions he took.  But his father is going to have to live with the thoughts for the rest of his life that he failed his son, and in a small way, he's right.  But not everyone can be saved.  You can not help those who do not wish to be helped.

And the presented media and world around us do not show us the true horror of someone ending his life.  The comparison that comes to my mind is Full Metal Jacket vs. Budd Dwyer (wiki link).  I don't recommend watching the video of that one to anyone.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:40:58 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 10:56:02 PM »

I work with suicidal people for a living.  There's a big difference between the kind of person who kills himself and the kind of person who cuts their wrists in front of an audience or (in this case) hangs himself in front of an audience.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »

I would like to know more.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 11:23:03 PM »

In a related story, the 20-yo that posed as a boy in the MySpace suicide case testified today.

Things went awry, Ms. Grills said, after she sent an e-mail message with Ms. Drew’s blessing that said, “The world would be a better place without you.” It was an attempt, she said, to get Megan to stop communicating with the made-up Josh so the ruse could end.

Megan’s response, the message about suicide, had never been revealed by Ms. Grills until this week. Shortly after sending the message, Megan hanged herself on Oct. 16, 2006.

“It was something I didn’t want to remember,” said Ms. Grills, who said she had been hospitalized for depression after the suicide. “I pushed it out of my mind.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: