http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 07:40:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flag Dilemma  (Read 1075 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2006, 01:01:14 PM »

Every day I come home and I see that my neighbor is flying their American Flag without lighting.  The flag is also a little threadbare and sun-worn.  It really bothers me.  I want to say something, but I don't want to be an asshole.  What do you think I should do?  Anything?  Nothing?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 01:36:31 PM »

You could print out the rules to flying the flag and mail it to them, without a return address.  If not that if you have a homeowners association you could go through them.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »

You think that is bad? You should live next door to my neighbors. They still have Christmas lights up... they still manually turn them on... a bunch of the lights are now burned out. Oh, and they still have fake spiderwebs up from Halloween.

You could suggest helping put in a light for the flag. Maybe if it were lit they would be more inclined to get a nice new flag. Or you would end up with a warn flag that is lit up.  :roll:

LiveTAG: happydog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 05:01:50 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't do anything.  I can't imagine that you woud get a good response even if your heart is in the right place.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 06:42:23 PM »

Buy a new flag, dress up like a ninja and sneak over in the middle of the night to replace their old one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 06:45:38 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Buy a new flag, dress up like a ninja and sneak over in the middle of the night to replace their old one.
+1 but only if you take pictures.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:50:08 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Honestly, I wouldn't do anything.  I can't imagine that you woud get a good response even if your heart is in the right place.

Yeah, you leave him alone and I won't call out spelling errors in your thread title. slywink

Dillemma: Being unable to decide if you want pickles on your burger?

Sorry, it's one of those days at work.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »

The flag code only applies to the military and the government.  For individuals, you're asking them to honor it as a custom or out of respect.  Trying to impose customs or respect upon people rarely goes well.  

In your situation, I might mention to the neighbor that it's almost time to retire that flag.  You could even mention the local veterans group that does that.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 08:48:21 PM »

I live next door to a future model home with associated sales trailer.   The flag they have up is out 24 hours all the time, no lighting, and is attached to the pole with only 1 hook after a snow storm we had over a month ago.

I might just print out the rules (aka customs) and tape them to the door while they are gone as a hint.  You would think they wouldn't want to offend anybody who might be wanting to buy a house.

- shaggy

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 10:55:48 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Yeah, you leave him alone and I won't call out spelling errors in your thread title. slywink

Dillemma: Being unable to decide if you want pickles on your burger?

Sorry, it's one of those days at work.

Oops.  That was after a 12 hour shift - I was a lil tired. smile  

You guys are probably right, I should leave it alone.   It just really bugs me to look at that flag.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 11:15:20 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

You guys are probably right, I should leave it alone.   It just really bugs me to look at that flag.

That reminds me whenever I would get a bruise or something and say to my dad, it hurts when I touch it, he'd say stop touching it then!

Stop looking at it, get a headband and tape a piece of construction paper to the side facing your neighbours biggrin

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 01:20:36 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
The flag is also a little threadbare and sun-worn.  It really bothers me.

For all the flag experts out there, I have this problem.  Well, first off I replaced the flag when it got kind of...undignified, but now I don't know what to do with the old one.  I don't think it's the kind of thing you just toss in the trash.  It's not big, like 10x6 or so, but I have it in my house now and I just don't know what to do with the thing.

I'm thinking about asking a co-worker whose son is a Boy Scout about it.  Maybe that will point me in the right direction?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 01:50:03 AM »

You're supposed to burn the flag when it needs to be trashed (seriously).  Not in a "DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!!" manner, of course smile

Or give it to your local veterans group - they'll take care of it for you.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 01:53:44 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
You're supposed to burn the flag when it needs to be trashed (seriously).  Not in a "DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!!" manner, of course smile

Thanks.  I knew that is what they did with them but I didn't know if I could do that myself. biggrin

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 07:36:51 AM »

Most Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion chapters take flags and dispose of them in a proper ceremony.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 04:17:51 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Or give it to your local veterans group - they'll take care of it for you.

Ironically, my local VFW burnt down about 2 months ago.... Seriously.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 09:28:39 PM »

To me, questions like this boil down to what kind of relationship you have with your neighbor.

If you have NO relationship with your neighbor, what makes you think he/she would give a crap what you have to say about their flag?  I wouldn't waste my time in that case.

If you do talk, even just 'hey, what's up' every now and then, I think you have some leverage IF you handle it right.  Maybe mention to him how you are going to get a new flag and set it up...and oh, by the way, you could come with me since I can see you need one too and we can be done quicker if we help each other.

Of course, if YOU don't fly a flag, that won't work.  But I imagine you must, since you are so concerned about how other people fly their flags.  If for some reason you don't display a flag, I'd have to say that's a reason not to say anything.  Because if it was me, and some non-flag flying neighbor tried to tell me how to display MY flag...well that wouldn't end well.

You COULD go the anonymous route, but I have two problems with that.  One, I believe in putting my money where my mouth is, if I have something to say I say it and take credit for it- good or bad.  Second, if it was me and I got an anonymous note, I'd disregard it.  I'd figure, if it isn't important enough to you to come to me and say it to my face, it isn't important enough to you to have me consider what you are trying to say.

edit: rereading this reply, it sounds kinda snarky. That's not how I meant it, it's more that I'm trying to imagine your neighbor's worst case response to possible approaches on this problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: