http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 06:53:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fish tank on the second floor?  (Read 1777 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2005, 01:51:12 PM »

I've heard from someone that putting a 55 gallon fish tank on a second story woudn't be "safe", anyone know if there's any truth to that?
Finalizing my new apartment plans it looks like I'm going to end up on the second floor (of course) and I was hoping to get a 55 gallon started with a red oscar (the "dog-like" fish) but I'd like to know the weight could be supported without a problem. I'd ask the management but whether I was on the first or second floor I think they'd have a disfavorable opinion, although when asked about just a fish tank they said sure that's fine.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 02:40:59 PM »

Well one gallon of water weighs 8 1/3 lbs.  So 55 gallons = about 458 lbs if that's any help.  Factor in gravel, stand equipment and you're probably looking at about 475 lbs.  I'm guessing waterbeds weigh more but they are spread over a greater distance to support the weight.

I guess it would depend on if the weight was above a floor joist or two.

Not much help.  Maybe check with a pet store?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 02:42:45 PM »

55 gallons is about 450 pounds, if that helps any.  I thought the bigger problem was the table/stand that people choose to hold their aquarium without realizing just how much weight it has to support.

edit: guess I type slower than warning!
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »

You should be fine unless the apartment is structurely unsound.  That would be like having 3 average sized people stand next to each other.  Pretty sure the floor can take it lol.  If not then you need to move.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 09:45:01 PM »

Well there's two issues I think.

One, can that extra weight be supported?  Yeah it's equivalent to 3 people, but it's going to be concentrated in only one small spot all the time AND it's in addition to whatever else you put in that room AND however many people are in that room.  500 extra pounds is nothing to sneeze at.

The other issue is if it springs a leak.  Then you have gravity pulling 500lbs of water down through the floor/ceiling.

I'd clear it with the managers first, to avoid potential problems later, but that's just me.
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 11:49:19 PM »

I use to manage apartments and we allowed tanks no larger than 10 gallons.

Check your lease agreement.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 12:38:57 AM »

I'd be more concerned with the "oh shit we have 55 gallons of water trying to go through the floor/ceiling" than the weight issue.  Of course this has nothing to do with your original question.

I spent roughly 20 years of my life living in three different second floor apartments.  I never thought about the weight situation.  Glad nothing ever went through!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 09:29:04 PM »

No larger than 10 gallons? Ouch.. although I guess it could handle a couple of guppies!

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm wondering though (a friend just told me this) is there is concrete before the floors, is 55 gallons really going to matter when it's being backed up by a concrete floor?

The lease agreement doesn't say anything about fish tanks - at least not what I noticed. I asked them about a fish tank (no mention of size) and the quote was "Sure that won't be a problem." So they gave me a verbal OK to get the fish tank but I don't want them to get second thoughts by saying it's 55 gallons.

Surely there are some people that weigh 450 pounds right? Or we could have two BBW lesbians going at it upstairs and their combined weight would be 450+. So if two BBW's can live upstairs, surely an Oscar can!  :wink:

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 10:57:25 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
No larger than 10 gallons? Ouch.. although I guess it could handle a couple of guppies!

my first tank was 10 gallons...but it didn't last more than 2 days.  i bought a cheap aquarium stand that was supposed to hold a 10 gallon tank, set it all up in my bedroom, and went to bed for the night.  at about 3am, i awoke to a huge crash and the sound of water splashing on carpet...the stand broke, my tank hit the floor, and i spent the morning with a Shop-Vac trying to suck up the water and dry the carpet before i left for school.  luckily, my room was in the basement and it just soaked carpet over a concrete floor. with as much of a pain as it was to clean up only 10 gallons, i sure hope i never have to deal with a bigger mess though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 12:55:16 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Or we could have two BBW lesbians going at it upstairs and their combined weight would be 450+. So if two BBW's can live upstairs, surely an Oscar can!  :wink:

Aaaahhh!  Don't do that!   :evil:

My brain hurts now!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 05:12:17 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Well one gallon of water weighs 8 1/3 lbs.  So 55 gallons = about 458 lbs if that's any help.  Factor in gravel, stand equipment and you're probably looking at about 475 lbs.

That is extremely conservative I would think. A 55 gallon tank will need about 50 lbs of gravel alone. Then add in a nice heavy stand to support it and I would say you are closer to 525 lbs.

All that said, I had 2 45's, a 29, a 20, and 2 10 gallons on the second floor with no problems.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »

Quote from: "Lee"
Quote from: "warning"
Well one gallon of water weighs 8 1/3 lbs.  So 55 gallons = about 458 lbs if that's any help.  Factor in gravel, stand equipment and you're probably looking at about 475 lbs.

That is extremely conservative I would think. A 55 gallon tank will need about 50 lbs of gravel alone. Then add in a nice heavy stand to support it and I would say you are closer to 525 lbs.

All that said, I had 2 45's, a 29, a 20, and 2 10 gallons on the second floor with no problems.

Let's get nit picky: as you add gravel and other things into the tank, you are reducing the quantity of water that will be in the tank.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 08:39:19 PM »

Okay, but then as the gravel gets wet and soaks up water, it gets even heavier.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 08:46:12 PM »

It depends on whether it is African or European gravel.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 01:54:40 AM »

Not if he grips it by the tank.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 02:46:25 AM »

So you're saying it's a question of weight ratios?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 03:06:33 AM »

Actually I think he's referring to the water to gravel ratio divided by the total weight mass.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: