http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 10:30:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time in an arcade in about 20 years  (Read 597 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »

Had the day off so rode over to an arcade nearby that I read has about 20 or so pinball machines. The arcade is more like a Chuck E Cheese without the animatronics. So lots of arcade games where you can win tickets and huge cabinets of prizes you can choose from. There was a food area there but I didn't really get a good look at it. The place was more bright and cheery than the dark arcades I recall. But there were a number of kids running around in groups and it was appropriately loud.

The pinball area was in its own separate room off the main. It was a bit more dark in there than the rest of the arcade so not quite as inviting. They were also projecting a movie on one of the walls, Real Steel I think. But the pinball games were in great shape for the most part. There was only two other people in there playing together so I got my $20 worth of coins (which popped up 100 tokens!) and started playing. Games were $1 per play or the better deal, which I did, was $2 for 3 games.

After a bit I pretty much had the place to myself. Then a kid came in and started talking to me very quietly while I was playing. I couldn't tell what he was saying so kept saying "What?" "I can't hear you" "You're going to have to talk louder" but finally got out of him wanted some tokens. Ok, I seem to recall I may have begged once or twice for tokens but knew it wasn't proper etiquette. So just told him "no" and he left. Then a bit later another kid came over while I was playing Simpsons and got real close to me, invading my personal space, and was looking at the machine. Ok, a little odd but no biggie, he wants to see the game. Then he starts asking me if he can play - this while I'm in the middle of a game. I told him if he has tokens he play. He moved over to my other side then put his hand on mine, trying to press the flipper button where my finger was over it. At the same time he tried to get between me and the machine - like to push me out. That kinda threw me as even at that age, I'm guessing he was 8 or 9, I knew boundaries. After a bit of being uncomfortable with him trying to play the game while I am he gave up and left. What the heck to do you say in that situation?

I was still on the Simpsons machine, which I had gotten like 3 replays on, when another kid came over and watched for a bit. Then he said "Boy your good!". Which was funny since I think I only had like 2 million points and was on the second ball. He was still interested by the time I lost the 2nd ball so I let him play the 3rd which he didn't do bad on. He then asked if I had any tokens. I gave him four since I had a ton of them left at this point, and the compliment helped, plus he seemed somewhat interested in pinball. I didn't catch where he went but don't think he played any of the pinball games. Oh well.

Some kids came by later and checked the coin return of each of the machines. I remember doing that! You felt bad while doing it but every once in awhile you would come up with a quarter.

Was there playing for over 3 hours and besides the two people that were originally in the room when I got there I only saw three other serious players. None of the younger kids seemed to be interested in the games other than bumming a game off you or begging for tokens which is unfortunate. The pinball games are tough but many of them are set up to give replays at very low scores. Simpsons and Batman in particular were set really low so $2 lasted me a long time.

So some good an bad experience here. Its definitely not like the arcades of old but still kinda fun. One thing I don't remember though is the lower back pain after being at the arcade that long. Ugh.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:42:01 AM »

A couple years ago a restaurant/arcade called Buster & Daves opened near us. After waiting a few months for the novelty to wear off and the crowds to die down my wife and I went for dinner and to check out their games. Food and prices weren't bad -- they want you to spend money in the game room, after all -- but it was pretty loud, as you would expect.

The games were disappointing. I didn't see any of the classics that I used to play, just a lot of driving and shooting and dancing games plus a few of those carnival-type machines where you try to pluck a prize with a claw or knock coins off a shelf or whatever. Lots of kid stuff.

I had intended to load a game card with five bucks, but there was just nothing there I wanted to play. Never went back, probably never will.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 06, 2013, 02:42:01 AM

A couple years ago a restaurant/arcade called Buster & Daves opened near us. After waiting a few months for the novelty to wear off and the crowds to die down my wife and I went for dinner and to check out their games. Food and prices weren't bad -- they want you to spend money in the game room, after all -- but it was pretty loud, as you would expect.

The games were disappointing. I didn't see any of the classics that I used to play, just a lot of driving and shooting and dancing games plus a few of those carnival-type machines where you try to pluck a prize with a claw or knock coins off a shelf or whatever. Lots of kid stuff.

I had intended to load a game card with five bucks, but there was just nothing there I wanted to play. Never went back, probably never will.
1) It's Dave and busters!  Tongue
2) I went there a bunch of times way back. I only went there because they had those cool BattleTech Pods that you could sit in.. They were fun for a while.. Don't think they exist there anymore.. frown
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 07:36:18 PM »

They bring in the battle pods at Origins in Columbus every summer. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 08:04:08 PM »

If you're in the New England area you need to go to The Pinball Wizard Arcade, over 100 pinball tables and close to 200 arcade games.  http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com/
Funspot is also good, but much further north http://www.funspotnh.com/
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on July 06, 2013, 05:31:49 PM

1) It's Dave and busters!  Tongue
2) I went there a bunch of times way back. I only went there because they had those cool BattleTech Pods that you could sit in.. They were fun for a while.. Don't think they exist there anymore.. frown

I had expected it to be more like Jillian's in Boston, with air hockey, pinball, and classic arcade games (albeit without the pool tables and cocktail waitresses). Like the Pinball Wizard that forgeforsaken linked. But D&B is clearly going after youngsters. There was nothing that even tempted us oldsters.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »

I went to D&B with my engineers one time and they had the most bizarre Rambo gun-shooter there.  The storyline made little to no sense and was obviously put together by the scene sequence randomizer.  I'm still toying with building a MAME cabinet.  Anyone here ever built one?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 07, 2013, 08:26:53 PM

I went to D&B with my engineers one time and they had the most bizarre Rambo gun-shooter there.  The storyline made little to no sense and was obviously put together by the scene sequence randomizer.  I'm still toying with building a MAME cabinet.  Anyone here ever built one?

No, but I'm thinking that after my next tiny NY apartment, when I move back out to suburbia I'll think about building one. The Ouya might be a solid base to work from - I've been super-happy with that as a reasonably-priced emulation device that basically takes no work to set up on its own, wouldn't take much power or cooling, and doesn't need a lot of space.

If you check out Reddit, /r/mame seems to be mostly cabinet-focused.

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:45:21 AM »

My buddies and I went into D&B's the first time a few years ago after catching a movie in the same mall. The food was indeed pretty good and we weren't too impressed by the games selection until we found the eight-station racing game: sit-down, hydraulics, the works!  I was there with my cousin and a couple friends we've had since high school (25+ years) and we were all instantly juveniles again. Trash talking, wall planting, well voiced opinions on each others questionable lineage, BEER: we had an outstanding time! Whenever I go to that theater I always leave time to head in there for food and games.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »

I only went there because they had those cool BattleTech Pods that you could sit in.. They were fun for a while.. Don't think they exist there anymore.. frown
Not sure where you are located but they still exist. If anyone is in Grand Rapids MI they have some setup somewhere on Cascade on the Northwest side of the city. I spent a long time looking for some after playing the ones in the downtown Indianapolis mall in 1998 and never found any. Turns out I lived about 5 miles away from a bunch for about 5 years while at college! Only found out about them after I was long gone.

The first time I played them with my buddy it blew our mind they were running on Macs. No hydraulics or anything but still was awesome.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:14:58 PM by Kagath » Logged

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on July 08, 2013, 03:13:23 PM

I only went there because they had those cool BattleTech Pods that you could sit in.. They were fun for a while.. Don't think they exist there anymore.. frown
Not sure where you are located but they still exist. If anyone is in Grand Rapids MI they have some setup somewhere on Cascade on the Northwest side of the city. I spent a long time looking for some after playing the ones in the downtown Indianapolis mall in 1998 and never found any. Turns out I lived about 5 miles away from a bunch for about 5 years while at college! Only found out about them after I was long gone.

The first time I played them with my buddy it blew our mind they were running on Macs. No hydraulics or anything but still was awesome.

Every once in a while I see a pair or four pop up on eBay for purchase.  My wife would murder me to death, but they do look awful damned cool.   Just talking about this makes me want to play MechWarrior Online in one of them....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »

When I first moved to the north side of Chicago years ago, I made the mistake of not understanding that I wasn't living in a small town anymore.  As such, while out exploring the neighborhood, I drifted into a seedier section.  I came across a video arcade and thought, "Wow, that's so cool...I'm going to check it out!"

I later learned that the numerous stares and the lack of small kids and anyone not covered in tattoos was because I had inadvertently stumbled into what was apparently a well known hangout for the Latin Kings.  Most of the video games were out of order, to boot.  I'm pretty sure that playing games was not the primary reason for attendance.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 08, 2013, 05:14:13 PM

When I first moved to the north side of Chicago years ago, I made the mistake of not understanding that I wasn't living in a small town anymore.  As such, while out exploring the neighborhood, I drifted into a seedier section.  I came across a video arcade and thought, "Wow, that's so cool...I'm going to check it out!"

I later learned that the numerous stares and the lack of small kids and anyone not covered in tattoos was because I had inadvertently stumbled into what was apparently a well known hangout for the Latin Kings.  Most of the video games were out of order, to boot.  I'm pretty sure that playing games was not the primary reason for attendance.

what, you couldn't blend in?  I thought you were the master of disguise!  hell,  last time I saw you at Origins, you were bald, with a beard and no mustache, and you had a different nose, totally different from your avatar.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »

I'm Amish, you ass.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 08, 2013, 05:30:31 PM

I'm Amish, you ass.

So an arcade for you is blocks of wood, culminating in a barn raising?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »

This damn piece of bark that I'm using for a keyboard seems to have a stuck A key.   mad

But I can't be choosey since this cardboard box with the word COMPOOTER written on the side in crayon does run windows 8.

tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 02:20:33 AM »

down the jersey shore you will still find multiple arcades just  like they were in the past on the boardwalks in ocean city and wildwood.  

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: