http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 10:50:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First review of 'The Dark Knight'  (Read 11127 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2008, 12:19:19 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 21, 2008, 05:12:34 AM

I guess I must be jaded.  I thought it was good and certainly enjoyable, but not great.  I actually enjoyed the first one more.  Ledger is as good as everyone said and every time he was on the screen the movie jumped to beyond great, but everything else was simply average to above average.  I don't know if it was that my expectations were higher or I am just a picky bastard now, but I honestly enjoyed Ironman more.  It's not that this was a bad movie, I guess I was just expecting it to be super fantastic.

Ledger though... hell of a performance.  Very enjoyable.

gellar

That's the way I see it. Take out Joker and it's a pretty cookie-cutter movie.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2008, 12:28:31 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 30, 2008, 12:19:19 AM

I guess I must be jaded.  I thought it was good and certainly enjoyable, but not great.  I actually enjoyed the first one more.  Ledger is as good as everyone said and every time he was on the screen the movie jumped to beyond great, but everything else was simply average to above average.  I don't know if it was that my expectations were higher or I am just a picky bastard now, but I honestly enjoyed Ironman more.  It's not that this was a bad movie, I guess I was just expecting it to be super fantastic.

gellar

sure, if you cut out about a third or more of the movie.  but then it wouldn't make sense, kinda like a PBJ without the peanut butter or  a BLT without the bacon.

mmm.... bacon......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2008, 02:34:13 AM »

gellar

Did you guys see the same movie I saw?   icon_confused
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2008, 03:24:29 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on July 30, 2008, 02:34:13 AM

gellar

Did you guys see the same movie I saw?   icon_confused

he's just bashing it to be popular  icon_wink

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »

soooo...went to see this movie last night, and...well, it was good, not the incredible, awesome, over-the-top-experience some have stated it to be, but it was good nonetheless :-)

Heath Ledger was a brilliant joker, and (besides the obvious that I lament any persons drug-induced death) a bit sad, that we wont see this again from him... he was just so..different and disturbing, that he carried the movie a lot.

Batman was...well, not the main person in this movie, not even secondary main person, as I saw it, and wasnt that strong as a character either. He actually struck me as a a bit sad this time, the characters eh, character...much more of a "normal vigilante person" than in any of the other movies I've seen with him.

And i really didnt understand half the explosions, or why they were there...for instance,

Spoiler for Hiden:
Batman on his motorcycle after the crashed, blows up a lot of cars...why? and how did he know they werent peopled? and why are there empty cars in an underground tunnel??

Harvey was great as well, although, the ..ahem

Spoiler for Hiden:
Turning him into a bad guy was a liiitle bit too easy in my opinion...just claim "I didnt do it, they are evil, was a bit on the light side

anyways, good summer movie, decent, but not making film history

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 30, 2008, 09:42:00 AM

And i really didnt understand half the explosions, or why they were there...for instance,

Spoiler for Hiden:
Batman on his motorcycle after the crashed, blows up a lot of cars...why? and how did he know they werent peopled? and why are there empty cars in an underground tunnel??

Spoiler for Hiden:
They were in his way, parked and therefore presumably empty.  I've read people say that it was an impound lot but I don't know about that.

Of course the true answer is that they were blown up for the spectacle of an action scene.  You just basically have to turn your brain off during almost any car chase scene because in reality it would almost be impossible to avoid any injuries with the mayhem a typical hollywood car chase produces.  This is just exacerbated in superhero movies and is endemic to the genre.  It was the same way in Batman Begins- no way does he not seriously injure police officers and/or innocent bystanders during the car chase in that movie but it looks cool so...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »

This reminds me of a reporter friend whom I saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in1989 with who spent the whole movie whining, "Oh gosh, he stole that old man's car!" and the like. Probably he would've complained in Raiders of the Lost Ark about Indy "spoiling the ancient tombs," and "violating the sanctity of the South American natives!" He would've spent Iron Man hand wringing about Iron Man "destroying government property" and "hindering the war on terror."  Roll Eyes

I mean, come on. I never saw another movie with him, I learned my lesson.  icon_razz

It's summer. If everything's going to offend one's sensibilities, it's best not to visit a theater from May through August.  icon_neutral

That said, the comics make a big deal about Bats never using guns. So a fair number of Batman fans were a little peeved that he so non challantly fires what presumably are 20MM cannons in such a nonchalant way.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2008, 02:31:37 PM »

Oh man, I'm such an idiot. I thought I could just waltz into the Udvar-Hazy air and space museum and get IMAX tickets for TDK this weekend. They've already sold out today's 3 shows, and tomorrow's first 2 shows (I'm not seeing an 11 p.m. show on Sunday). ARGH.
http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=21156&venue_val=202324

Box office update. Thursday's take pushed it over the $351 million mark into #13 all-time, behind Jurassic Park:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Despite some truly atrocious reviews, the Mummy sequel presumably will pull in some folks this weekend though I wouldn't be surprised if TDK remained at the head of the list. A decent weekend would probably push it to maybe #8 ahead of SW: Revenge of the Sith ($380.3 million) behind Spider-Man ($403.7 million).

EW's Mark Harris has a column (not online yet, but it would eventually be at http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20205970,00.html) proclaiming "there's no way" The Dark Knight can reach Titanic's $600 million mark. So he echoes my sentiment, but I'm not as snarky about it, because I'd like to see TDK reach it I just don't see it quite having the legs (although it's had remarkable legs for a summer movie in a busy season).  icon_razz

Harris is still on the Snobby side of the critic fence that both lauds TDK's ambition but sort of waves off its success as "fanboy driven" and says any Oscar nomination talk for the movie is both fanboy-driven and (aside from Ledger's performance) a joke.  disgust

I don't see it as a joke because if critics think Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the King are all Oscar-worthy (and all got Best Picture and Best Director nominations in their release years, and of course ROTK won everything just about), then a leap to something like TDK isn't that much of a stretch. Unless you're a snobby critic with issues about guys in rubber suits and clown makeup.  smirk
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 02:35:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2008, 03:55:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 02, 2008, 02:31:37 PM

Harris is still on the Snobby side of the critic fence that both lauds TDK's ambition but sort of waves off its success as "fanboy driven" and says any Oscar nomination talk for the movie is both fanboy-driven and (aside from Ledger's performance) a joke.  disgust

I don't see it as a joke because if critics think Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the King are all Oscar-worthy (and all got Best Picture and Best Director nominations in their release years, and of course ROTK won everything just about), then a leap to something like TDK isn't that much of a stretch. Unless you're a snobby critic with issues about guys in rubber suits and clown makeup.  smirk

I quite liked the movie, but I'd have to agree that other than Ledger there is nothing really award worthy about The Dark Knight. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2008, 04:45:46 PM »

Well, seems like more than just a few of us were a little put off by the voice Bale takes on when in the Batman suit :

Reviewing the film for MSNBC, Alonso Duralde wrote that Bale's Batman in "Batman Begins" "sounded absurdly deep, like a 10-year-old putting on an 'adult' voice to make prank phone calls. This time, Bale affects an eerie rasp, somewhat akin to Brenda Vaccaro doing a Miles Davis impression."

however, that one thing doesn't do much in the way of harming this great film.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2008, 05:48:19 PM »

Morgan Freeman was in a nasty car accident (his Toyota overturned several times) and is in serious condition in a Mississippi hospital:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/04/morgan.freeman.accident/index.html
Fingers crossed for Lucius Fox.  tear

No doubt this'll bring out the conspiracy theorists that TDK is "cursed." Lord knows the cast and crew could use a break from tragedies. It sounds like he'll be OK, though something like this at age 71 has got to be tough.

He apparently over-corrected when his tires went off the road shoulder a bit. We've had some nasty accidents from that sort of thing in the D.C. metro region here, esp. with teen drivers. It's one thing that makes me nervous at 2-lane roads.

I just see the "Batman voice" as another means of disguising one's identity. How *should* he sound? Michael Keaton's Batman had a slightly deeper voice "in the suit," but it was clearly still his voice. I disguise my voice sometimes when calling friends, but they always recognize my voice unless I really exaggerate my voice or impersonation. I have to go "over the top" to become unrecognizable.

I sometimes find it silly in Spider-Man that nobody seems to notice that he sounds exactly like Tobey McGuire/Peter Parker with panty hose over his mouth (in the '60s animated version, Spider-Man has a more "grown up" voice, and I think they actually used different voice actors); or in the cheesy Adam West Batman, there's no difference between the Bruce Wayne and masked voice at all.

TDK edged out the lame Mummy Sequel for #1 again. It's to about $394 million through Sunday. Some pundits point out that Titanic's number of tickets sold (at a far lower price, so less profit per ticket) was astronomically higher. I buy that, but there are also a lot more things and technologies competing for your entertainment dollar today, and $4 gasoline vs. about $1.18 gasoline in December 1997, not to mention higher food costs today that might make you hesitate to drop $11 on a summer movie. It's hard really to make perfectly consistent comparisons between movies, even ones only 11 years apart.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:57:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2008, 05:56:13 PM »

gellar

I saw the movie last weekend, and I completely agree with you.  Bale as Wayne is great, Bale as Batman (or just Batman himself) is pretty annoying, especially growly-voice.

Quote from: Blackjack
Morgan Freeman was in a nasty car accident (his Toyota overturned several times) and is in serious condition in a Mississippi hospital:

1.  Get better soon, Red.
2.  Random thought:  what the hell is Morgan Freeman doing driving a Toyota?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2008, 06:06:45 PM »

Murphy's law is the more money, enthusiastic reviews and awards a movie makes, the more backlash and more "I didn't think it was so great" opinions you'll get.

I remember that with stuff like The Fugitive in 1993 or even Die Hard in 1988 (no, not everybody loved it, even if 100 Hollywood screenwriters have copied it). Heck, my mom expressed that opinion in summer 1984 when I belatedly took her to see Terms of Endearment (1983 Best Picture) at a military base in Korea. "This was Best Picture? Blah." Me, I saw it when it first came out and loved it. I think if you guys had seen it (TDK, not Terms of Endearment  icon_wink) opening day, you'd have different opinions. Titanic drew a lot of that opinion late in its run. I think Titanic's great, but Billy Zane's performance was perhaps one of the worst, one-note performances I've ever seen. fwiw. just imho.  icon_razz

I did have more fun with Iron Man, and there are lots of TDK fans who think Iron Man was a forgettable waste of time - and shame on them.  icon_razz

Oh well. Different perspectives make us human. I mentioned I enjoyed the Indy movie (in spite of the lame-o Lucas plot), but a friend of mine hated it so much he all but gets beet redfaced with anger just talking about it. Go figure.  icon_neutral

Aaaand, Freeman is in a Memphis, Tenn. hospital it turns out.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:11:39 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 04, 2008, 05:48:19 PM

TDK edged out the lame Mummy Sequel for #1 again. It's to about $394 million through Sunday. Some pundits point out that Titanic's number of tickets sold (at a far lower price, so less profit per ticket) was astronomically higher. I buy that, but there are also a lot more things and technologies competing for your entertainment dollar today, and $4 gasoline vs. about $1.18 gasoline in December 1997, not to mention higher food costs today that might make you hesitate to drop $11 on a summer movie. It's hard really to make perfectly consistent comparisons between movies, even ones only 11 years apart.

Not really sure why that's relevant anyway- as amazingly phenomenal as TDK is doing, it won't outgross Titanic so there's no point in trying to get into the nitty gritty of number of tickets sold.  Most realistic box office observers expect TDK to finish between 500-550 million.

What *is* really impressive to me is that TDK will end up selling more tickets and outgrossing the 1989 Batman.  I'm sure many of us here are at an age to remember what a true phenomenon that film was that summer.  
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2008, 06:36:21 PM »

I remember the release of burton's batman.  it really was a cultural phenom.  the number of t-shirts, bumper stickers and posters on the street with the bat symbol was unbelievable.  i even remember quite a few vandalized street signs signaling a "T intersection" (the ones with a straight line with arrows at each end) painted to look like the bat symbol.   icon_eek
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:02:30 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 04, 2008, 06:36:21 PM

I remember the release of burton's batman.  it really was a cultural phenom.  the number of t-shirts, bumper stickers and posters on the street with the bat symbol was unbelievable.  i even quite a few vandalized street signs signaling a "T intersection" (the ones with a straight line with arrows at each end) painted to look like the bat symbol.   icon_eek

Strangely enough, during the TDK's opening weekend, the main road right before my neighborhood was painted with a bat symbol on side of the road and Joker face and "Why So Serious?" on the other side.  City finally showed up late last week to fix it. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2008, 07:21:33 PM »

For more jaded takes on blockbusters, Pauline Kael was always a good bet. I always said she hated everything that didn't have subtitles.  icon_lol Though in retrospect, she did respond to summer movies on occasion, esp. E.T. I've tweaked her words a bit for quiz's sake.

... the picture is an amalgam of [his] follies--plot for its own sake, dissociated from character or drama; the affectless heroine ... AND effects that Spielberg the youthful magician has already dazzled us with. Kinesthetically, the film gets to you, but there's no exhilaration, and no surge of feeling at the end. It seems to be edited for the maximum number of showings per day.
What was it?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

But at 2 hours and 17 minutes this is just a very big "Boo!" movie, with bum dialogue.
What was it?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Aliens (1986)

It's an epic without a dream. Maybe the only real inspiration involved was to set [it] in the pop-culture past, and to turn old-movie ineptness into conscious Pop Art. And maybe there's a touch of genius in keeping the film so consistently what it is, even if this is the genius of the plodding.
What was it?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Star Wars (1977)

Retro-40s virtue piled on the cartoon underpinnings of TV comedy shows.
What was it?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Terms of Endearment (1983)

The movie is underwritten, but it has so many unpredictable spins that what's missing doesn't seem to matter much. It's mean and anarchic and blissful.
What was it?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Batman (1989) [I'll be damned, she loved it! saywhat]
This is kinda fun. Maybe I should start a separate thread on this.  icon_smile But everyone will just Google "Pauline Kael".  disgust icon_razz

I guess my only point is no movie draws accolades from everyone even if it makes a half billion dollars or sweeps the oscars.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:24:02 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2008, 08:51:40 PM »

The Dark Knight goes up in the top echelons of "best superhero/comic movies ever" for me, up amongst the likes of Spiderman 2 and Batman Begins. Iron Man ranks pretty high up there too. X-Men 1 & 2 are only slightly lower in my estimation (mainly due to mischaracterization and lack of depth that they give to Magneto in the bigger picture).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »

I went for a second viewing last night.

Still quite enjoyed it.  Bits of foreshadowing and whatnot that I didn't pick up on the first time (because I didn't know what was going to happen the first time).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2008, 04:40:11 AM »

The Batman on Film fan site did a pretty neat interview with the special effects supervisor (his crew also had to fabricate the "Batpod" pretty much from scratch, and handle the whole hospital explosion sequence, so it's a lot more than just CGI stuff):

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Chris Corbould
http://www.batman-on-film.com/TDK_interview_chris-corbould_8-29-08.html
Apparently his press junk interview with him had sound problems, so this is a new one after the film's release, so the guy was more free to talk.

fwiw, TDK should pass the $500 million mark (I think that's North American) over this weekend:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

It probably can't reach Titanic's mythical $600.8 million mark unless it gets some sort of massive re-release (TDK's DVD release is scheduled for early December), and re-releases don't earn much these days.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2008, 04:48:19 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 31, 2008, 04:40:11 AM

(TDK's DVD release is scheduled for early December)

please tell me that also includes the Blu Ray release!

Because I can,
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2008, 05:47:12 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2008, 04:48:19 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on August 31, 2008, 04:40:11 AM

(TDK's DVD release is scheduled for early December)

please tell me that also includes the Blu Ray release!

Batman Begins is on Blu-Ray, so I'd be willing to bet my left testicle The Dark Knight Blu-Ray will be out the same day as the standard DVD version.

TheMissingLink on PSN
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 31, 2008, 05:47:12 AM

Batman Begins is on Blu-Ray, so I'd be willing to bet my left testicle The Dark Knight Blu-Ray will be out the same day as the standard DVD version.

Jesus, you deal with some tough bookies!

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2008, 03:37:30 AM »

Also, this just passed the $500 million for domestic box-office.  Not likely to surpass Titanic, but pretty damn impressive. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »

here's hoping Michael Caine isn't talking out his ass.

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »

He then added "I was with [a Warner Bros.] executive and I said, ‘Are we going to make another one?’ They said yeah. I said, ‘How the hell are we going to top Heath? And he says ‘I’ll tell you how you top Heath — Johnny Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin.’ I said, ‘S–t, they’ve done it again!."

I love both of those choices!

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2008, 03:57:22 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on September 09, 2008, 03:39:26 PM

He then added "I was with [a Warner Bros.] executive and I said, ‘Are we going to make another one?’ They said yeah. I said, ‘How the hell are we going to top Heath? And he says ‘I’ll tell you how you top Heath — Johnny Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin.’ I said, ‘S–t, they’ve done it again!."

I love both of those choices!

That would probably be the only way that they could top Heath Ledger.  The problem would be the endless comparisons...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »

There is nothing even close to set in stone right now. This is all speculation and while fun, it's about as realistic (though awesome) as that fake Riddler poster.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2008, 03:10:33 AM »

Christopher Nolan's been enjoying a well deserved vacation. He finally shared some thoughts (including the neverending questions about whether he wants to do a third film) in an LA Times interview, saw the link at Batman on Film and its recap is maybe easier than combing through the interview:
http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN-3_Nolan-talks-B3-Joker_10-27-08.html

The interview's at:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2008/10/christopher-nol.html#more

It's the first of 3 parts (links are at bottom of the 1st part), so if you don't like Nolan or the movie, you'll want to skip it.  smirk If you did like it, you'll probably enjoy his insights and stuff.

The funny thing is, Warner Brothers would probably park truck fulls of money in front of his door to get him to do a third, but he doesn't work that way. A good script or a fresh storyline would probably get his attention a lot more. Actually if he wanted to pull a James Cameron (who basically stopped directing movies after his zeitgeist moment with Titanic), I wouldn't hold it against him, but I think he likes to work too much to do that.

In the 3rd Part, he does seem to say the WB isn't in fact pressuring him at all at this point:
GB: You've said you aren't sure what you next project will be. But clearly Warner Bros. looks at Batman as a core part of their movie business, perhaps now more than ever, and there are marketplace pressures on them to schedule the next installment of the franchise. Are you getting a lot of pressure to make a decision?

Nolan:
They’re being extremely gracious. I have a very good relationship with the studio. They know that I really needed to go on holiday and take some time to figure what I want to do next. They’ve been very respectful of that, which is terrific and one of the reasons I enjoy working with Warner Bros.
I still feel bad I never did get to see it in an IMAX theater. The only one within reach of me (in a museum basically, that doesn't even have movie concession stands) sold out every weekend show over, and over, and over, for months after the release. It was just unreal.  icon_frown
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:20:27 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2008, 03:15:34 AM »

I've heard it's being re-released in IMAX in January to remind Oscar why it deserves the Best Picture award. I too missed it the first time and will not miss it then.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2008, 03:57:21 AM »

That would rule.  Even if I will have to pay Cinemark for it.   puke

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2008, 01:29:04 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 30, 2008, 03:15:34 AM

I've heard it's being re-released in IMAX in January to remind Oscar why it deserves the Best Picture award. I too missed it the first time and will not miss it then.

That would be great.  I really wanted to make it to an IMAX showing to but never had a good weekend for it.  I may have to hold off on watching the Blu-ray in the meantime. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 30, 2008, 01:29:04 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 30, 2008, 03:15:34 AM

That would be great.  I really wanted to make it to an IMAX showing to but never had a good weekend for it.  I may have to hold off on watching the Blu-ray in the meantime. 

I was more impressed with the IMAX version than I expected to be, and that was after having already seen it at a regular theater.  Not every scene is in the IMAX aspect ratio--I'd say more than half is letterboxed--but every time it does switch to fill the entire screen it's incredible.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »

The nationwide theatrical re-release will be Jan. 23:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117996874.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Warner Bros. will re-release "The Dark Knight" on Jan. 23 in a nationwide launch, guaranteeing that it will become the fourth film to take in more than $1 billion in worldwide box office.

"Knight" has cumed $530.3 million domestically and $465.9 million internationally, leaving it less than $4 million short of the billion-dollar milestone. Only "Titanic," "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" have topped that mark.
I'd still like to catch it on IMAX so maybe I'll get a last opportunity.

This won't help the film Oscar-wise, as the nominations are actually to be announced Jan. 22:
http://www.screenhead.com/reviews/dates-now-set-for-2009-oscars/

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »

I wonder if I'll have worn out my Blu Ray copy by then.....

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »

Entertainment Weekly's done a nice interview retrospective on Health Ledger. If you're interested in just the parts about TDK, here's link to that portion:

Heath Ledger: The Untold Story
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20252991_20,00.html
Alexander [Ledger's agent, I think]: When I called Heath and said Chris Nolan is looking for a new style of Joker and really wants somebody to collaborate on the character with — I mean, Heath didn't even pause. It was like ''Yes, I've got to do that! Get me in a room tomorrow!'' He thought, Here's an opportunity to do a big, fun summer tentpole movie, but I get to do it on my own terms, playing a really dark, f---ed up character that you wouldn't in most cases find in a big movie like that.

Pecorini [er, friend of Ledger's I think]: When he came to me with the first makeup test of the Joker, I said, ''S---, man, they're going to fire you!'' And he said, ''Maybe, but that's the only way I can play it.'' Movie studios are scared of daring. They're scared of pushing the envelope. And Heath was exactly the opposite. He was always pushing, pushing, pushing. It was in his nature to push the boundaries.
The sad thing with the DVD is that since he died so relatively early in the process, there wasn't any chance to do some sort of interview with him about playing The Joker. Of course his performance stands alone (and received a posthumous Golden Globe for supporting actor last week), but I know a lot of reviews of the DVD expressed disappointment with not gleaning much insight about his portrayal.

Anyway, the EW piece has a lot of fresh thoughts on the performance from the crew and fellow actors, so if you're a fan, enjoy it.  icon_smile The TDK producer said he at least got to show Ledger about the first 6 minutes (bank heist) of the film at an IMAX theater in London, and Ledger loved it, so that's nice to know.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:11:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: