http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 06:43:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First CK, now MO?  (Read 2582 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »

Looks like metallicorphan hasn't posted since late February.  He had some health issues IIRC...anyone know if he's OK?

Sucks to keep losing these longtime GT members.  5 of the top 10 posters haven't been heard from in over a month, most a lot longer.  frown

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:50:57 PM »

CeeKay      
Knightshade Dragon      
Purge      
metallicorphan      
Destructor      
Bullwinkle      
ATB      
Kevin Grey      
Calvin      
leo8877

Calvin quit GT a LONG time ago.
Kevin dropped off the face of the earth a while ago too.

And I know what you're thinking, but i disagree. I hope Bullwinkle stays around.

Oh and posting has been anemic lately..and it's not directly attributable to the spambot ceasing his torrent of nonsense.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »

Yeah, I noticed he is missing too Gratch. Didn't know he was having medical problems, though. Hopefully he is ok.

And I miss CK as well, but apparently ATB is quite happy he is gone though.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:14:57 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 25, 2014, 08:01:14 PM

Yeah, I noticed he is missing too Gratch. Didn't know he was having medical problems, though. Hopefully he is ok.

I wouldn't say happy. I'm glad he's okay, but I didn't like 15 new threads started by him every day...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 25, 2014, 07:50:57 PM

CeeKay      
Knightshade Dragon      
Purge      
metallicorphan      
Destructor      
Bullwinkle      
ATB      
Kevin Grey      
Calvin      
leo8877

And I know what you're thinking, but i disagree. I hope Bullwinkle stays around.

Purge hasn't posted since January either.

Oh and posting has been anemic lately..and it's not directly attributable to the spambot ceasing his torrent of nonsense.

I've had a sharp decline in posting, mainly because gaming has taken a significant back seat to real life.  10-month-old twins tend to do that.  smile  I also find I have interest in far fewer games than I used to.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 25, 2014, 08:15:17 PM

I've had a sharp decline in posting, mainly because gaming has taken a significant back seat to real life.  10-month-old twins tend to do that.  smile  I also find I have interest in far fewer games than I used to.

Agreed. I've purchased exactly 1 game this year and that was to play with the kids. (Kinect sports rivals).

I may get watch dogs, but it's pretty much a wasteland right now. New console blues. slywink.

That doesn't, however, explain why there is no new blood.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »

Maybe all the potential new blood thinks message boards are outdated and quaint in comparison to things like Twitter?  And all the people who still do like these old fashioned things have all already settled down in their forums of choice?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 09:27:42 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 25, 2014, 08:45:22 PM

Maybe all the potential new blood thinks message boards are outdated and quaint in comparison to things like Twitter?  And all the people who still do like these old fashioned things have all already settled down in their forums of choice?

Some fine points pug.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 25, 2014, 08:17:25 PM

Agreed. I've purchased exactly 1 game this year and that was to play with the kids. (Kinect sports rivals).

I may get watch dogs, but it's pretty much a wasteland right now. New console blues. slywink.

You're getting Wasteland 2?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 10:03:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 25, 2014, 07:50:57 PM

CeeKay      
Knightshade Dragon      
Purge      
metallicorphan      
Destructor      
Bullwinkle      
ATB      
Kevin Grey      
Calvin      
leo8877

Purge hasn't posted since January either.

I've seen Purge in Diablo.  I think there is cause for concern with metallicorphan.  This twitter (I assume it is his) seems to stop posting around the same time as posts stopped here  https://twitter.com/metallicorphan
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:28:25 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 25, 2014, 08:45:22 PM

I think you are right, but there are forums still out there are very active with new users coming in (TouchArcade seems that way). This forum is pretty dead when you compare it to it's big brother at OO, which is what I think hurts it a lot. A lot of the active posters here are active there as well IIRC (I rarely, if ever, go to OO anymore), so this site doesn't get enough posts because people know they will get a bigger response there. You see it occasionally when someone comments that there is already a large discussion on a subject at OO. Plus I don't believe the powers at be promote the forum on the front page much, which doesn't help.

That is very worrying about Metallicorphan. Anyone Steam/XBox/PS friends with him?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 12:27:51 AM »

Did he have an alternate alias at OO?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 03:32:55 AM »

I just can't believe KD has the second  highest post count.  It must count posts in the hidden staff forums as well. 

Quote from: Lee on April 25, 2014, 11:28:25 PM

That is very worrying about Metallicorphan. Anyone Steam/XBox/PS friends with him?
He's on my Xbox Friends list, but it looks like that doesn't tell you the last time he logged in.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 04:04:55 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 25, 2014, 09:35:14 PM

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 04:05:33 AM »

Quote from: ATB on April 26, 2014, 04:04:55 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 25, 2014, 09:35:14 PM

forgot about that game. It have a release date yet?
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 06:06:32 AM »

One game? Damn, between Steam, PS3, 360, Vita, XB1, IOS and the Wii I have gaming overload. If you've only purchased one game, I can't help but think that you are suffering from burnout. There are simply too many platforms and developers to not find something of interest.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 02:30:27 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 26, 2014, 06:06:32 AM

One game? Damn, between Steam, PS3, 360, Vita, XB1, IOS and the Wii I have gaming overload. If you've only purchased one game, I can't help but think that you are suffering from burnout. There are simply too many platforms and developers to not find something of interest.

I didn't say I wasn't playing. smile BF4 is my go to.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 02:26:15 AM »

What ever happened to Pete Rock?

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 03:10:37 AM »

Probably a very busy pharmacist right now.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 01:04:31 AM »

Quote from: ATB on April 25, 2014, 08:14:57 PM

I wouldn't say happy. I'm glad he's okay, but I didn't like 15 new threads started by him every day...

So what if he posted a lot?  How was that in any way, shape or form causing you any real problem?

Ceekay was a long time member who took a lot of crap for simply being enthusiastic.  Now he's gone and GT is the lesser for it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 03:04:56 AM »

Yeah, I used to get a little annoyed at CeeKay's apparent need to get the last word in some threads, but I really miss reading his posts now. I suppose the only way he could cut down his posting was to go cold turkey.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 28, 2014, 01:04:31 AM

So what if he posted a lot?  How was that in any way, shape or form causing you any real problem?

Ceekay was a long time member who took a lot of crap for simply being enthusiastic.  Now he's gone and GT is the lesser for it.

I agree.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 28, 2014, 01:03:55 PM

I agree.

I agree as well, but I also don't think GT necessarily did anything to drive him away.  I could be wrong on that (I'm basing that opinion on a couple very brief online interactions with him outside of GT), but it sounded more just like he needed to refocus.

Quote from: Lee on April 25, 2014, 11:28:25 PM

This forum is pretty dead when you compare it to it's big brother at OO, which is what I think hurts it a lot.

Not necessarily.  Ever tried posting about a console game over there?  Crickets...

I'm active at both and don't have a preference for one over the other.  There are some subjects that get better response over there, and vice versa.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:13:36 PM by Gratch » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »

I'm hoping to see Ceekay at Origins in June.  I'll hold him down and make him smell my armpits if I do until he agrees to come back to some degree. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »

Back on mo for a minute, though.

I'm very worried about him.

I've sent messages out to him in a number of ways.  I also wrote to Mytocles, knowing that they were pretty close at one point.  I haven't heard anything at all.  I've spent a lot of time trying to suss out some IRL details about him and have come pretty far, but I can't figure out how to contact his mother or other friends/family members. 

Does anyone have a more direct way to contact him?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »

Not even sure what this means. How is his not posting causing you any real problems?  The question makes no sense.

Point was it was too much.  And when he took over DBT's schtick of just posting smileys...

Every TV show doesn't need it's own thread...or movie or...

As for MO: I hope he's ok too...and just taking a hiatus from the internets.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:46:36 PM by ATB » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »

And you wonder why GT's population is dwindling...

How is his not posting causing you any real problems?

That's now my new favorite retort post. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:55:07 PM by hepcat » Logged

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 28, 2014, 01:51:37 PM

How is his not posting causing you any real problems?

That's now my new favorite retort post.  

The original question made no sense so why should the repackaging of it?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:01:10 PM by ATB » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »

icon_lol

He doubles down!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 05:36:45 PM »

I heard Blackjack stopped posting here for weeks after having a Captain America hissy fit. Sources say it's just an ugly rumor though (because Blackjack is ugly Fabulous), and nobody even noticed he wasn't posting anymore anyway. He's just another nobody here.  icon_razz

I finally got back into Marvel Heroes the last few days, fwiw. Captain America's revamped Airborne Assault attack? Awesome.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 05:39:30 PM »

I feel like there was a post after Hep's last one and this one, but I kind of didn't notice it.

slywink
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 07:51:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 28, 2014, 01:22:00 PM

I'll hold him down and make him smell my armpits if I do until he agrees to come back to some degree. 

In some circles this would be considered erotic.   Fabulous
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 28, 2014, 07:51:01 PM

Quote from: hepcat on April 28, 2014, 01:22:00 PM

I'll hold him down and make him smell my armpits if I do until he agrees to come back to some degree. 

In some circles this would be considered erotic.   Fabulous

Hep is what is known as a 'bear'.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 28, 2014, 05:36:45 PM

I heard Blackjack stopped posting here for weeks after having a Captain America hissy fit.

However, I did then sincerely apologize for questioning why you saw it five times in one week.  It wasn't my intention to insult you, I was just astounded at your dedication to the cause.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 28, 2014, 08:12:34 PM

I heard Blackjack stopped posting here for weeks after having a Captain America hissy fit.

However, I did then sincerely apologize for questioning why you saw it five times in one week.  It wasn't my intention to insult you, I was just astounded at your dedication to the cause.

I'm with you on this one Hep. That's some serious dedication to a movie. Bordering on insane.  ninja

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 28, 2014, 08:12:34 PM

However, I did then sincerely apologize for questioning why you saw it five times in one week.  It wasn't my intention to insult you, I was just astounded at your dedication to the cause.
Hey it's cool. I am a melodrama queen sometimes. icon_smile I wanted to take my mom and visiting aunt to see Cap 2 but mom's got back aches and seems to think doing yardwork is more therapeutic than Cap and Co. I did show her the 2nd theatrical trailer on my iPad Air and she was delighted by it. So there's that. Though I guess I won't get to see it a 6th time.  tear icon_razz
======

As for why folks stop posting here, in my own experience online, sometimes if you feel too Stereotyped at a board, you may want to just move on somewhere where folks don't know you, reinvent yourself. I posted under another name at other boards and when I started hanging out here wanted to use a different name and bring no baggage, so to speak. I mean, maybe CeeKay for years delighted in being poked fun at as "That CeeKay" and then he just decided he didn't like that treatment anymore.

Or sometimes one has an argument at a board that gets under one's skin, and you just knee jerk decide you don't want to post at that place anymore. Maybe you just feel a place has become sort of unfriendly. I actually had that experience at a smaller board, and that's how I ended up starting to post here around 2007-2008 I think.

Or sometimes here I just realized that 99% of the games I like are not FPSs and not big releases and are just not the kind of games where my threads get much discussion. Not even discussions saying "that game sucks, why do you play it?"  icon_smile SWTOR for a while was finally that big mega game that I played and everyone played here, no shortage of chatter on it. These days I'm playing a lot of indy games, lot of Steam early access titles, lots of isometric and top down niche games. So sometimes I'll blather and post screenies/vids for a while and then think, "clearly nobody at GT cares about this kind of game so why am I yakking to myself like this?" And that'll be my cue to "take a break."  icon_smile

Personally, I wish we still had the separate PC games forum cause that's mostly (outside of some DS stuff) all I play still. And I feel like often people just don't look past the first page of threads. I realize they can search for thread titles but I still just imagine most folks scan that first page and that's it. Maybe I should do a poll on that some day? There won't be an option to send me to go see a Saw sequel.  icon_wink

Or perhaps I'm over navel gazing, and it's really just about moving on for no particular specific reason.  icon_neutral icon_smile
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:46:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 02:25:02 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 28, 2014, 10:43:07 PM

Personally, I wish we still had the separate PC games forum cause that's mostly (outside of some DS stuff) all I play still.

I stopped reading gaming threads when the PC games forum went away. I only play a few games a year and I don't like to wade through a lot of console posts.

Used to enjoy the P&R forum until most of the drama queens either got banned or left. They were at least entertaining. Nothing going on there anymore.

I keep coming here by force of habit, mostly.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »

So I'll even say that I've been posting less here.  I've been so focused on building the front page content that I've neglected the boards.   You guys hit on a good point though - boards are starting to become an antique of sorts.   Newer generations of gamers eschew them completely (or don't know what the hell the word eschew means) in favor of things like Twitter.  Often they have a "if it ain't on my phone, it ain't worth seeing" sort of attitude.  As a result, other areas of the site are growing while the forums (despite the feeling) is pretty much steady on traffic.    Put simply, we have roughly 130,000 unique people hitting GT every month, but they are spending their time at our YouTube channel (just cleared half a million views on that), get their news from our Twitter and Facebook feeds, and read our editorials on the front page.   If I could figure out a way to get them in here I would. 

All of that said, we are looking at folding the whole thing together and unifying the front page with the forums.  Comments on the front page would also appear in the forums, and visa versa.  It'd unify the conversation, and engage new blood that otherwise would avoid a forum.  We are also in the process of hiring somebody to tackle news on a very frequent basis.  We want to become your go-to place for gaming news in addition to reviews and such.  Step outside the forums - we've got really cool stuff going on elsewhere on this same site!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2014, 06:11:35 PM »

Quite true. I've noticed more and more sites giving up on forums (perhaps they just don't want to mess w/ moderation issues) in favor of Twitter, Facebook et al.

With me, I really try to keep my Gaming self and, uh, Regular Guy self separate on Facebook. I just don't post about gaming on Facebook because I think too many of my non-gamer pals think gaming is the Evil.  icon_razz If I say, posted on Facebook that pixelized explosions of blood spray and gore in Broforce tickle me... I don't think they'd understand. Here, I think people would.  icon_cool

I like sifting through Twitter for interesting posts but haven't so far been willing to Tweet. Perhaps if I can just get a Twitter going as my Blackjack self and focus it that way, it might be fun.

As far as comments on the Gaming Trend news/video items, can we use our GT forum accounts to login there? Or does it have to be a separate login we set up for comments-only?

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »

What's this Twitter thing people keep mentioning?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Get off my lawn!

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: