http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 07:50:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox Tabbed browsing ... Extension recommendation  (Read 939 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2004, 05:07:59 PM »

I've known about, and have been using, Firefox for about 3 months (I've shied away from previous mozilla versions for compatibility issues, etc...). Firefox is nice and all, but it's tabbed browsing was fundementally flawed....

See, If I'm going to have multiple tabs, I wanted ALL my new windows to open up in tabs, not new window iterations. The automatic new window calls would still create multiple firefox instances and drove me up the wall.

So I went back to IE (where it's a given) and Slimbrowser (and IE shell), which did tabbing right.

I've consistantly checked for tab browsing extension and hadn't found any that addressed my concern ... until now.

Tabbrowser Preferences check it out... best ever. biggrin

[ I didn't add to the original firefox post ... it's too bloated to revive. This is just a recommendation for a specific extension ]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 06:03:51 PM »

Uh, I found out how to open any new link in a new tab in Firefox:

It's called the middle mouse button.

The only thing that won't work on are Java based links and a few rare instances in general. Other than that, the middle mouse button is your friend.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 07:33:43 PM »

Yeah, I just use the middle-mouse button. Unless I want a new window. Still a pretty cool extension, though.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 09:18:58 PM »

I love firefox,  but XP Tablet Edition (even with SP2) doesn't recognize the address bar in Firefox as well as it does in IE, so I'm back to IE on my new computer.  I can easily hand-write in addresses in the address bar in IE, but not so in Firefox.  I hope to see Firefox address this with an extension or patch.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 12:46:41 PM »

Ah, but the middle mouse button doesn't help when you're opening links from emails or other sources outside the browser, does it?

There's actually been an extension around for a while called SingleWindow which did the same thing, but I think it's broken under 1.0PR (as were a few other extensions which I'd grown accustomed to having).  I don't think SingleWindow has been updated, so next week I'll try your new one out and see how it does.

FWIW, I've grown accustomed to ctrl-left clicking to open pages in tabs.  For some reason I've never grown accustomed to clicking the mousewheel.  The button has either been too stiff or I end up inadventently scrolling as I'm pressing and miss the link.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 02:13:38 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

The only thing that won't work on are Java based links and a few rare instances in general. Other than that, the middle mouse button is your friend.

K you missed the point.
I wanted ALL new windows, regardless of user triggered or NON to come up in the same instance. This does it for you. All of your listed exceptions are included. *That*, my friend, was the point. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: