http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 04:08:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 1.0 (official) released  (Read 2381 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2004, 06:39:31 PM »

Firefox is officially out of beta Cool
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 06:46:53 PM »

Yep, i`ve just installed it and i`m pretty impressed.

Like the TAB feature, especially good for these forums.

Seems to load very quickly.

Will definitely be using this and persuading the wife to swap as well.

Iain

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 07:17:45 PM »

Been using it for a couple of days now...I like it...very fast smile  Now if my workplace would convert from IE...I would be all set  Cool
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 07:35:56 PM »

Bah, Opera is still better. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 09:16:11 PM »

There is a mouse gesture extension that.....well  when I go back to use any other browser I miss the mouse gesture extension.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 10:01:34 PM »

I just updated it through Firefox itself, so if you already have it, no need to go to the site to download it again. Have to wait for some themes and extensions to be available though. Besides that everything is nifty. But does anyone feel it's faster than PR?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 10:35:01 PM »

Wow - I installed the new non-beta version today and didn't even realize it.  Cool smile
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 10:50:29 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

s

But is it free?  :lol:
swizzlest
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 10:51:23 PM »

If you're having problems reaching the site, or mirros, the official torrent can be found here.

Took me about 3 minutes to download.  Maybe less.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%201.0.exe.torrent
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 11:12:46 PM »

After using it for a bit, I'd say it's MUCH faster than PR. It's greased lightning for me now, on par with Opera. The only thing is about 5 of my beloved extensions are in need of update, hopefully that'll happen in the next day or so.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 11:18:01 PM »

How do you upgrade through the browser? cant find the option.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 11:26:15 PM »

Tools/Options/Advanced, then click on the little plus thingy next to Software Updates  to expand then click Check Now.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »

definitely faster.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 02:24:48 PM »

I finally got 1.0 Final up and running. I had a bit of trouble, because when I installed it, and tried to run it, it would start invisible (the exe would run and show in Task Mgr, but nothing would appear on-screen). I fixed this by backing up my Profile folder, then deleting it.

Anyway, 1.0 is definitely faster than PR. For one thing, the cache works better. If I hit the back button now, it instantly reloads the previous page, rather than trying to refresh it. Opera was always the best at using the cache, but now this competes with Opera.

Now that 1.0 final is out, could we list the extensions we've all tested and found to be working with it?

For me, I'm using:

Adblock - tested and working.

I'd like to know this, not only to know it's working, but just as a refresher for what the good extensions are.

Anyone found a mouse gestures extension that's working with 1.0?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 02:56:00 PM »

Quote from: "Zero"

s

Um... yeah. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 09:31:17 AM »

Image zoom
nuke anything
bbcode
paste n go
plain text links
ieview
mouse gestures
tabbrowser extensions
chromedit
foxytunes
super drag n go
bug me not

All installed and working. Some of them I had to go to their homepage to get the lastest 1.0 versions.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 02:27:53 PM »

Web Developer 0.8 is still working as well, although it would take me a long time to verify all of its features.

I'm still a little annoyed at how poorly FireFox handles Flash pieces.  Whether it's crazy placement effects (like over at http://pc.gamespot.com ) or just a general slowdown (particularly with scrolling), it drives me nuts.  Now whether or not that's a Flash player issue or a Mozilla issue, doesn't really matter to me...it's an issue.

Not switching back to IE or anything, but it's probably my last big problem with Firefox.

Oh, and didn't they add some feature to put links that target "_blank" into a new tab instead of a window?  I used to use the single window extension to make that happen, but I don't think it's compatible anymore.  The outside application setting is working fine, but stuff within the browser are still opening in new new windows unless I do the hotkey for launch link in tab.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 02:43:42 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
I'm still a little annoyed at how poorly FireFox handles Flash pieces.  Whether it's crazy placement effects (like over at http://pc.gamespot.com ) or just a general slowdown (particularly with scrolling), it drives me nuts.  Now whether or not that's a Flash player issue or a Mozilla issue, doesn't really matter to me...it's an issue.

Flash? What Flash?

Oh, that's right - 80% of all Flash content tend to be ads, so I don't have it loaded in Firefox. Yes, I know that Adblock could kill them, but that's an extra unnecessary step for those who don't install Flash. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 03:01:07 PM »

Mozilla needs to do something about their extension server, which has been 100% slammed since the 1.0 release.  It's killin' me.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 03:52:24 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"

What's weird is that, for me, that problem suddenly stopped after a while in 1.0PR. I visit gamespot daily, which is where I noticed it most, but it just stopped flickering on load after a while, I assumed it was fixed. Now it's doing it again in 1.0 final.

thanks gameoverman, for your list of extensions. I now have these working in 1.0:

All In One Gestures
TabX
Super Drag n Go
Paste n Go
BBCode
Adblock

I hadn't tried BBCode before, and it's great. The "Quote Selection" feature is very cool.

Firefox is now very close to perfection for me thumbsup
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 04:00:44 PM »

I have Flash installed.  Frankly, if I visit a site that doesn't display properly in Firefox, then I consider it to be the fault of the developers/owners of the site, and I don't visit there anymore.  Hence, among other things, I don't read Gamespot.  Their site is a bloated mess of flashing crap anyhow.  They could learn a bit from some more elegant websites.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2004, 06:01:42 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Oh, that's right - 80% of all Flash content tend to be ads, so I don't have it loaded in Firefox. Yes, I know that Adblock could kill them, but that's an extra unnecessary step for those who don't install Flash. smile

Not really an option for me, unfortunately.  I occasionally do Flash development, and I'm not really into reinstalling it everytime I need it.

Jeff, I noticed the same thing about Gamespot too.  There were a few days when I thought they'd finally fixed the issue, but it's back in full force.

One of the funnier things that I noticed when I was trying to figure out why Firefox was bogging down on some pages was that one of the chief ads causing the problems for a Microsoft search ad. smile

And Balshazaar, I really only hit Gamespot for the news (as well as a bunch of other sites).  While I'd agree that, in this case, there's definitely some issues that Gamespot's web staff need to take care of, the fact remains that there are issues with Flash and Firefox.  I've had another Flash developer tell me that some of his pieces aren't running at the correct speed/frame rate, and that they work just fine in other browsers.

Now like I said, that could be Macromedia's issue or Firefox, but it doesn't change the fact that there's an issue.
draegun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2004, 06:02:27 PM »

Quote from: "Zero"

s

Um... yeah. smile

s

I installed Firefox back in beta.  I'll agree that it's better than IE, but that's not really saying much, is it?

I'd gladly, and I do every couple of years, pay out the $36 to have Opera.  It has some bugs, but it the only browser for me  smile
susannah-mio
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 03:37:02 PM »

Installed yesterday, installed the mouse gestures 1.0 today. Definitely comparable to Opera and I can use gmail with it - sells it for me smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 06:00:27 PM »

I like Firefox quite a bit, more than IE...but I didn't like even the free version of opera. never did anythign for me.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 11:24:12 PM »

My favourite extensions are:

Prefbar: http://www.prefbar.mozdev.org
Image Zoom
Weatherfox
TargetAlert: http://www.bolinfest.com/targetalert/index.html
Bookmark Backup: http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/#bb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print