http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 03:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefly on dvd - question  (Read 707 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2005, 12:49:26 PM »

I was in Borders last night and saw a boxed set for the tv show Firefly.  It said on the box something like "All episodes included".  After some more scanning of the box, it said there were 14 episodes included (including 2 never before aired episodes).

Now, I realize this may be an obvious question... But did this show only make 14 (or 16) shows and then get cancelled?  I thought this show was around for awhile.  Some clarification would be dandy.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 01:10:54 PM »

FOX initially ordered a 12 episode run.  They then ordered a 4 episodes extension.  While the extra episodes were being filmed, FOX cancelled the show.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 01:50:38 PM »

A couple of the episodes on the DVD set were never aired.

%#$%$@% Fox!
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 02:28:47 PM »

Scifi will be premiering the first unaired episode this Friday at 7p EST.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 04:15:55 PM »

And the good part of the DVD set is that they are in the correct order.  They were aired out of order for some stupid reason....so now you get all the episodes in the correct order.

Much better.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 04:49:51 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"
And the good part of the DVD set is that they are in the correct order.  They were aired out of order for some stupidly stupid-ass FOX suit....so now you get all the episodes in the correct order.

Much better.

Fixed that for ya.  :wink:

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 05:01:11 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
And the good part of the DVD set is that they are in the correct order.  They were aired out of order for some stupidly stupid-ass FOX suit....so now you get all the episodes in the correct order.

Much better.

Fixed that for ya.  :wink:

Thank you...much better now smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 09:38:42 PM »

And the good part of the DVD set is that they are in the correct order.  They were aired out of order for some stupid reason....so now you get all the episodes in the correct order.

That actually happens to a lot of shows from what I've seen.  If you find a site with an episode guide you can usually find the production numbers and follow them to see the order they were shot in.  I'm sure there is a reason for it, even if I don't know what it is...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 09:51:36 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

That actually happens to a lot of shows from what I've seen.  If you find a site with an episode guide you can usually find the production numbers and follow them to see the order they were shot in.  I'm sure there is a reason for it, even if I don't know what it is...

Production order is not always "correct."  Sometimes shows a shot in a different order to facilitate access to certain locations or cast members and, for sci-fi shows, if the post production load on a particular episode is heavy.

For example, if one were to watch the first season of Bablyon 5 in production order then you would actually see the season finale halfway through the season.  

It varies show by show so you should definitely do a little additional research than just finding production order.  The good news is that most DVD sets are in the proper order.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 09:58:11 PM »

True enough.  I was just looking back at some of the sets I have that have fansites listing the correct order without knowing the specifics.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 10:27:55 PM »

Production order also may or may not be relevant to the series.  Sitcoms, aside from missing a few jokes regarding recurring characters, can often be watched in whatever order you like as there is little-to-no continuity in them.  It's part of the format.  Likewise with the vast majority of cop/forensic shows.  Oddly enough, Star Trek: The Next Generation, was also written this way by mandate of Gene Rodenberry.

However, a series like Nip/Tuck or Desperate Housewives relies on its continuity to pull you in every week, and thus requires the episodes to be watched in a particular order.  Firefly for it's brief run, was one of these shows.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: