http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:08:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefly's Capt. Mal's new show..Castle  (Read 3046 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:21:17 PM »

http://abc.go.com/primetime/castle/

Show coming to ABC very soon. From the previews it looks great. Hell it stars Nathan 'Captain Mal / Captain Hammer' Fillion ! smile Gotta watch it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:24:04 PM »

I hope it lasts longer than Drive did.  Oh, wait, it should because it's not on Fox...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:08:57 PM »

Nathan Fillion, attractive woman, halfway decent premise. Sure, why not?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:28:14 PM »

Hart to Hart for the Ought-Oughts!

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:35:01 PM »

Wildly famous mystery novelist Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) is bored with his own success. Then he learns that a real-world copycat killer has started staging murder scenes depicted in his novels. Castle is questioned by NYPD Detective Kate Beckett (Stana Katic), a bright and aggressive detective who keeps her investigations under tight rein. Though they instantly clash, sparks of another sort also begin to fly, leading both to danger and a hint of romance as Castle steps in to help find the killer. And once that case is solved, he and Beckett build on their new relationship as they look to solve more strange homicides in New York - as much fun as one can have with death and murder.

Castle is kept grounded by his Broadway diva mother, Martha Rodgers (Susan Sullivan), and quick-witted teenage daughter Alexis (Molly Quinn). Also starring in the series are Ruben Santiago-Hudson as NYPD Captain Roy Montgomery, Tamala Jones as Medical Examiner Lanie Parish, Jon Huertas as NYPD Detective Javier Esposito and Seamus Dever as NYPD Detective Kevin Ryan.

"Castle" is produced by ABC Studios. Andrew Marlowe (writer, "Air Force One") serves as executive producer/writer, along with executive producers Armyan Bernstein, Barry Schindel, Rob Bowman (who also directed the pilot) and Laurie Zaks.

Without seeing a preview to get a feel for the cast chemistry... this just sounds utterly derivative - or in network terminology "Safe" - which I won't give a chance to, which makes me sad because I'm gay for Nathan Fillion. frown

Here's the formula: Unconventional detective (In this case - Nathan Fillion is playing Angela Lansbury), with a sidekick that doesn't respect them for what they do / who they are, begrudgingly learns to respect as they realize he/she can get things done.

Without a unique premise to hold it together (Chuck, Eureka) it holds zero interest for me.

Verdict: cancelled by fall.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:36:49 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:03:54 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 30, 2009, 10:35:01 PM

Wildly famous mystery novelist Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) is bored with his own success. Then he learns that a real-world copycat killer has started staging murder scenes depicted in his novels. Castle is questioned by NYPD Detective Kate Beckett (Stana Katic), a bright and aggressive detective who keeps her investigations under tight rein. Though they instantly clash, sparks of another sort also begin to fly, leading both to danger and a hint of romance as Castle steps in to help find the killer. And once that case is solved, he and Beckett build on their new relationship as they look to solve more strange homicides in New York - as much fun as one can have with death and murder.

Castle is kept grounded by his Broadway diva mother, Martha Rodgers (Susan Sullivan), and quick-witted teenage daughter Alexis (Molly Quinn). Also starring in the series are Ruben Santiago-Hudson as NYPD Captain Roy Montgomery, Tamala Jones as Medical Examiner Lanie Parish, Jon Huertas as NYPD Detective Javier Esposito and Seamus Dever as NYPD Detective Kevin Ryan.

"Castle" is produced by ABC Studios. Andrew Marlowe (writer, "Air Force One") serves as executive producer/writer, along with executive producers Armyan Bernstein, Barry Schindel, Rob Bowman (who also directed the pilot) and Laurie Zaks.

Without seeing a preview to get a feel for the cast chemistry... this just sounds utterly derivative - or in network terminology "Safe" - which I won't give a chance to, which makes me sad because I'm gay for Nathan Fillion. frown

Here's the formula: Unconventional detective (In this case - Nathan Fillion is playing Angela Lansbury), with a sidekick that doesn't respect them for what they do / who they are, begrudgingly learns to respect as they realize he/she can get things done.

Without a unique premise to hold it together (Chuck, Eureka) it holds zero interest for me.

+1. Except for the "gay for Fillion" part. He's fun and should be in more stuff but doesn't quite deserve the "man-crush cult" that's somehow developed around him.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 11:06:20 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on January 30, 2009, 11:03:54 PM

He's fun and should be in more stuff but doesn't quite deserve the "man-crush cult" that's somehow developed around him.

He's no D.B. Sweeney, after all.  icon_wink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »

Call me if it gets a season 2 then I'll rent season 1, but I'm not going to fall in love with a new show only to watch it get the shaft.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »

Sounds a lot like that one show where the main detective was made immortal in the 1500's and had lots of flashback scenes: i.e. overdone cop-show with a twist.  It was also canceled before the first season finished.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on January 31, 2009, 06:29:19 PM

Sounds a lot like that one show where the main detective was made immortal in the 1500's and had lots of flashback scenes: i.e. overdone cop-show with a twist.  It was also canceled before the first season finished.

yeah, hated that, and it was blown totally out of proportions here in denmark, since the hero was a danish actor

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »

sadly, that set up also describes a few good shows, like monk and psych. 

at least the cable channels let a show run even if doesn't hit mega huge status in the first year. 

Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 06:47:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 30, 2009, 11:08:57 PM

Call me if it gets a season 2 then I'll rent season 1, but I'm not going to fall in love with a new show only to watch it get the shaft.

One of the toughest things to do in life is fall in love with something and then be forced to watch it get the shaft.  icon_twisted
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 09:51:30 PM »

Glad that Nathan Fillion is getting new roles, but what about Morena Baccarin?  slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 04:10:22 AM »

It's on the wrong network- this fits perfectly with CBS's target demographic and I imagine it would be quite successful as a part of their procedural lineup. 
rabies66
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 02:28:05 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on January 30, 2009, 10:35:01 PM

It's not derivative! Look, he's got a quick-witted teenage daughter!

Oh....

Golden with barlight and beer
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 03:30:42 AM »

Premiere was tonight.  I enjoyed it, but the only thing going for it is the charisma of Nathan Fillion and his character.  I doubt it will last long.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 03:41:11 AM »

We liked it too. The whole time we watched it though I wished he was Captain Mal and Firefly was back on.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 05:13:14 AM »

I missed it.  Recording is set for next week and I guess I'll have to watch the premiere on teh intarwebs.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:01 AM »

Sounds likes Bones a bit, which is a good thing.  I'll see if I can catch this on hulu.  Too bad hulu doesn't contribute to Nielson ratings.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 08:57:34 AM »

I really enjoyed it.  It's a nice old-fashioned comedy/detective show in the vein of Moonlighting, Monk, etc.  I especially enjoyed the writers' poker game - I hope they do more of those.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 02:09:58 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on March 10, 2009, 03:41:11 AM

We liked it too. The whole time we watched it though I wished he was Captain Mal and Firefly was back on.

I PVR'd it; since Daehawk likes it I doubt I'll watch it; his interest is the kiss of death when it comes to cable shows.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »

Tru dat.

Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 03:57:48 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 31, 2009, 09:51:30 PM

Glad that Nathan Fillion is getting new roles, but what about Morena Baccarin?  slywink

ABC is remaking 'V', the alien invasion show from the 80s.  She's playing the alien leader.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40353

(HBZ)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 06:50:18 PM »

Just watched it.  I liked it.  It was typical fluff but I like that from my TV. 

JSL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 07:27:18 PM »

Looks promising, but I wish they were bringing Firefly back.  icon_frown
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 02:58:20 AM »

Just watched the premiere on ABC's site since I missed it.  Have the next two on DVR and will definitely be sticking with it and hoping that it holds up.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 03:50:00 AM »

Glad others are liking it too. Wife and myself enjoy it so I know its not long for this world smile

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 04:32:19 AM »

Last week, Castle came in 2nd to CSI: Melodrama ( puke ) with 9.8 million viewers, almost 50% more than Patricia Marionnette's Medium.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 05:13:56 AM »

The DVD of the first season is due out in September, so I'll netflix it then.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 06:52:13 PM »

Our household watched this for the first time last week (premier episode via DVR) and really enjoyed it. Of course that means it will probably be cancelled before the end of the season but there isn't anything I can do about that.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 10, 2009, 05:14:01 AM

Sounds likes Bones a bit, which is a good thing.

I'm actually enjoying this a lot more than what I've seen of Bones lately.
This and Mentalist are the two that I've really been enjoying, followed by the about to end Life on Mars.

Castle is more campy and unabashed at being witty than Bones is. The leads have great chemistry together, IMO. Castle's mother is hysterical and the daughter works great as a sounding board for Castle, much in the same way as Judd Hirsch's character on Numbers does. The only downside I see at the moment (which is easily fixable) is that the other cops are completely generic (aside from the chief, who is funny as heck). This could certainly be intentional, though.

Honestly, I think the show is exceptionally strong out of the gate, moreso than any show I've seen in a very long time. Hopefully it will continue to improve from here.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 01:51:05 PM »

The show is utterly ridiculous (letting a civilian interrogate a suspect?  try getting THAT confession to stick in a court of law.), full of holes you could fly Serenity through...and still have room for the Enterprise, and completely addictive. 

And it's all due to Fillion.  The guy's hilarious.  I don't watch the show for a cohesive story or a challenging plot, I watch it in the same way I watch Monk...it's a character driven series that derives 99.9 percent of its charm from one person. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »

"Guess who got a date with a prostitute!"

I got a good laugh out of that.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 01:43:03 AM »

I like the interaction between him and his daughter. Good parent and normal child. Finally. Glad we dont have to put up with a whiney pouty emo kid who is like that just because her dad is famous.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 01:49:59 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 02, 2009, 01:43:03 AM

I like the interaction between him and his daughter. Good parent and normal child. Finally. Glad we dont have to put up with a whiney pouty emo kid who is like that just because her dad is famous.

Nah, she's clearly the stabilizing force holding things together.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:46 PM »

Finally caught the first two episodes last night. Wifey and I both liked it quite a bit.

I'm guessing that means it won't be back.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on June 09, 2009, 08:26:46 PM

Finally caught the first two episodes last night. Wifey and I both liked it quite a bit.

It's coming back. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »

You would be wrong.

*Damn you, KG!   Tongue

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »

I saw two random episodes a couple weeks ago and I agree with hepcat, Nathan Fillion is freakin awesome.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: