http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:35:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished my Re-Read of the LOTR Trilogy; What Next?  (Read 242 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »

This was just the second time that I've read through the series- I didn't discover it until the first movie came out- and while I remember being enchanted by Tolkien's writing, the re-read cemented it in my brain as one of the finest written books I've ever read. The man was an artist, a genius and a master of the written word.

That said, what next? I own and have read the Simillarion and loved it, but should I jump back into that or read something else first. And in what order?  I saw at the library the histories of middle earth but they seemed to be just a random collection of stuff.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »

Have you read the Game of Thrones books?  I haven't so I steer clear of the discussion threads -- for all I know, you're already a huge fan -- but otherwise it might be a sensible progression.

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »

I usually swap back from fantasy to sci fi, with occasional reads through horror/thriller stories. 

if you go sci fi, I just read and enjoyed Leviathan Wakes

if you intend to stay in fantasy, I enjoyed The Dragon's Path

James SA Corey is the pen name of two writers, one of which wrote The Dragons Path.  I read TDP after Leviathan and enjoyed it as a different take on GRRM's style of world building. 

also, I know you enjoyed Wool but were uncertain about the second trilogy.  I do recommend that even though it isn't as strong and the first book is a bit dragging at times.  I think it's worth it as it sets up the third trilogy he has, which the first book is expected soon. 

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »

Read the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.  I'm also a huge Tolkien fan, but the Malazan world is just so incredibly rich and varied and well fleshed out they have become my favourite fantasy universe ever.  It's truly amazing, given the scope of the world and the sheer number of characters, races, gods / beings, etc. but after reading the series you can't wait for more.  The best part is the whole 10 book series is complete, and when you're done all 3 million words of that, there are lots of supporting novels by Ian Esselmont to start on.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:07:00 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on August 10, 2013, 09:21:27 PM

Have you read the Game of Thrones books?  I haven't so I steer clear of the discussion threads -- for all I know, you're already a huge fan -- but otherwise it might be a sensible progression.

-Autistic Angel

Yeah. I'm all caught up. Martin is great, but he's not on Tolkein's level.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 02:07:18 AM »

And actually I meant what next Tolkien book?
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 03:29:44 AM »

If you've read the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, and the Simillarion, you've covered most of it.  You could read the Children of Hurin, but that was written / edited by Christopher Tolkien based on his dad's notes.  It's not bad.  Nothing near as good as LOTR though.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »

Well, you could also read the DOTA 2 novelization I've been working on.  Here's an early excerpt

Quote from: Back Into The Light -- The Omniknight Chronicles: Book 1
"For the Omniscient!" roared Omniknight as he charged into the brawl.  The leathery red-skinned creeps were so distracted hacking away at the green-skinned creeps, they never saw the battle priest coming.

Omniknight suddenly turned around and ran back the way he came.  Then he moved forward again before abruptly curving into a path running behind the line of allied creeps.  He stopped, spun once in place, and then headed towards the nearest copse of trees.

"The Omniscient guides us all!" he growled at a rotting stump.

Omniknight turned back towards the battle, his steely blue eyes sweeping across the gaggle of creeps.  There!  One of the red-skinned creeps was badly gashed across the chest, loosing a thick burbling mucus down one leg.  Surely, it would be the next to fall.

"For the Omniscient!" cried Omniknight as he threw himself once again towards the battle.  He hefted the weight of his mighty battle hammer up over his right shoulder, and with every ounce of strength afforded him by the two bundles of magic sticks he carried, brought it smashing down on the head of the injured creep.

The force of the blow shattered through the flimsy iron plating of the creep's helmet, but somehow, the creature did not yet fall.  Omniknight drew back his hammer for another swing, but it was too late.  One of the green-skinned creeps sliced its adversary in the shoulder and it fell over dead.  The corpse, along with the forty-six gold coins it had surely carried, sunk into the earth and were lost forever.

Omniknight turned to move towards the safety of the Radiant tower behind him when an all-too familiar warcry erupted from the shadowy forest.  "JUGGANNAAAAAAAAHH!"  A whirling dervish of blades came hurtling out of the woods and began cleaving through the fissures in Omniknight's armor like a thousand screaming razors.  

The battle priest paused in mid-stride to speak a divine incantation, but before the Omniscient could seal the worst of his wounds, a giant metallic hook buried itself in his spine.  He was yanked backwards, right through the line of line of mindlessly warring creeps, and into the sagging, crudely-stitched flab sack of an undead abomination.  An instant later, a grime-encrusted sickle was rammed through Omniknight's skull.  His last sensation was the feel of all his hard-earned gold coins slipping out of his pockets.

"Дякуємо вам за гроші і досвід точок, ідіот!," chortled Pudge.

"Чому завжди отримати їх у мої Ігри?!" Anti-Mage wondered aloud.  "Omni noob lol," he added.

"Вільний світ warcraft золота на freeonlinegold.com сайті, товариші!" answered Sniper.

Omniknight reappeared penniless and alone by the glowing fountain of the Omniscient.  He sighed heavily.  This was going to be one long, grueling defense of the ancients.

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 03:00:39 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: