http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 10:44:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finished my first marathon today! *Updated with pics*  (Read 1627 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2005, 02:26:05 AM »

Yep me and my wife both ran and completed the Disney World marathon this morning.  We've both been training for about 6 months and all i gotta say is i'm glad it's over.
During our entire 6 months of training, i never once had an injury or cramps as the result of the strenuous amount of running.  However, (as luck would have it) i actually sprained my foot at mile 16 and developed a bad case of leg cramps at 18 to the point i almost had to stop.
The first 16 miles were a piece of cake and i was coasting thinking i had it made.  Then at 16 without notice i felt a sharp pain in my right foot.  I went on the assumption it was typical muscle aches and pains of a marathon and continued on.  At mile 18 the pain only intensified.  I stopped at the medical tent to apply some biofreeze to my foot hoping it would numb the pain long enough to get to the next station a couple miles along.  Disaster struck when i attempted to start running again both my legs completely locked up.  The first thought that came to my mind was, "I'm finished".  No way did i think i could run 8 more miles not only on a bad foot but with 2 cramped legs.  Thankfully the station i was at had bananas so i downed 2 and rested for a couple minutes to get going again.  Now i was off on what would turn out to be the most torturous thing i could ever imagine doing to my body.
Up until 20 i was in serious pain but i managed to get along.  But at the snap of a finger at 20 i was nearly unable to even walk much less run.  I decided to walk a bit and catch my breath and concentrate on getting to 21 and through the last 5.  Just as i was feeling sorry for myself, a woman jogged by me with a child's picture on her shirt with the qoute, "You think a marathon is tough, try chemotherapy".  Let me tell you thats all the inspiration i needed.  I immediately thought of my little boy and remembered how blessed we are he's healthy and took off jogging again.  
To make a long story short, it took 2 hours to run the 5 miles i would normally do in about 55 minutes.  Most of the way it was nearly unbearable pain.  I would imagine it was what it would feel like getting hit by a vehicle.  Not only was my foot throbbing and pounding but i still had cramps in both thighs, my right calf, and right hamstring.  I could reach down and feel the knots in both legs.  I knew i couldn't stop because if i did it would be nearly impossible to get going again.  Oh, did i mention both of my nipples were bloody raw from my sweat soaked short rubbing against my chest.
Finally we hit mile 26 and only had .2 to finish.  I gotta tell you it felt like a mile to me.  The crowd at the finish line along with Goofy and Mickey/Minnie was awesome.  When i crossed the line and knew i was done, i instantly dropped and crawled out of everyone else's way.  I have had a broken bone and other various injuries playing sports through high school and college and i gotta tell you all of them combined was nothing compared to the hurt i felt after running this race.  The sense of accomplishment was incredible.
After i gained some strenght and waited for my wife to finshed, we somehow managed to get to the car and head home.  When we got home i hit the couch and didn't move for a couple hours.  My foot was still in incredible pain so i decided to just look at it out of curiosity only to discover it is bruised the entire lenght of the outside of my foot.  I think my wife thought i was exaggerating until i showed her my foot and told her i ran 10 miles in that condition.
To make a long story short, i'm done with marathons.  It was an incrediable accomplishment and i'm glad we did it.  But the truth is the pain and suffering i'll still be feeling for a few days doesn't feel worth it.  I'm sure i won't be able to get out of bed tomorrow and the days to follow will be tough.

So, anyone wanna run one too?

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 03:59:16 AM »

I dont even think I could watch one on tv....

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 04:09:54 AM »

That sounds like quite the experience.  I can't imagine running that many miles.  I'm lucky to get three miles on an eliptical machine in about 35 minutes.  It sounds like quite the experience, and quite the accomplishment.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 04:33:04 AM »

I think people like you are nut jobs  :shock:  But I congratulate you on your willpower.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 05:23:13 AM »

ya i am a nut job for doing it.  btw, pics incoming when i have the strenght to get to the photo department.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 12:45:19 PM »

Congrats! I ran my first (and so far only) marathon in 2003.

It's interesting, ast it was around mile 16-17 that my knee started to go.  I lost a good 30 minutes because of the quite sharp pain- a feeling of bone rubbing bone.

What was your time?  I finished in 4:38.05.

I trained for my second one last year, but my knee couldn't handle it.  It's now stiff quite consistently.

I am beginning training for a shorter 10 mile run this week ...the race is in April.

We'll see how it goes...
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 02:22:17 PM »

Did you make fun of your wife for still beating her after all that?

her = pwned
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 02:59:12 PM »

Nice job Xmann!   ninja
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 07:29:47 PM »

Good job!  One day I will do a marathon... one day...

I never realized how much dedication is required to train for a marathon until I started running myself.  I ran in high school, but it was all short distances - 400m, stuff like that.  Started running 5Ks last year, and even that is still "work" -  I can't imagine running 8x that distance...
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 08:19:41 PM »

as an update i am still very sore today and my foot is still killing me.  i hope to get the camera out to develop my pictures in the next day or so and i'll post some pictures.
and yes Laner the commitment to train for a marathon is tremendous.  actually the hardest part for me during training was the time sink involved when you got to the point of doing runs that took 3 or 4 hours to complete.  my wife and i both hated the time it took on weekends to do those runs when our weekends are devoted to family time. the physical part wasn't too bad when compared to the time commitment.
i know i said last night i won't ever run another but last night lying in bed thinking about the people who raised money for sick children and ran for them was very inspiring.  i guess i should have never said never.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 04:42:35 PM »

Disney sent me some photos they want me to buy so let me see if i can display them here for you guys to see

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=4354&ID=12256813&FROM=photos&BIB=11207

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=4354&ID=12281376&FROM=photos&BIB=11207

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=4354&ID=12211777&FROM=photos&BIB=11207

notice the pain on my face in this one, lol http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=4354&ID=12227109&FROM=photos&BIB=11207

and my wife and i http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=4354&ID=12235795&FROM=photos&BIB=11207

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=4354&ID=12209310&FROM=photos&BIB=11207

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=4354&ID=12226139&FROM=photos&BIB=11207

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 05:36:18 PM »

No wonder you kept running, you didn't tell us you were being chased by a giant snake!

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 05:45:58 PM »

hehe

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 09:32:46 PM »

Wow, Disney wants huge money for pictures that aren't very good. A lot of them look slightly overexposed. I would pay $10, not $75 for those.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 09:57:11 PM »

ya i got plenty of pics with my own camera.  i'll post those when i get them developed.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 01:20:44 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
ya i got plenty of pics with my own camera.  i'll post those when i get them developed.

Sorry wasn't trying to say it wasn't cool having pics of your run, and Disney was cool to do it, I was just shocked at the prices. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 01:49:55 AM »

i think the only one i might buy is the one with my wife.  the one coming out of cinderella's castle was cool except it's too much of a distant shot.  our medals are really cool as you can see and we are thinking of having them framed with a picture.
i got some neat pictures with some Disney characters i'll post when i get them developed.

and i also think i've discovered i have a stress fracture in my foot.  i've done some reading online and talked with some seasoned runners and what i've explained about my foot injury is the signs of a stress fracture.  kinda bummed because i was hoping to get out and running again next week.  looks like i'll be cycling, swimming, or on the efx for a few weeks.

my wife is also digging at me for us to do the Rock-N-Roll Marathon in San Diego in June.  i'm actually considering doing it and joining a charity to run for AIDS or cancer research.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: