http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:54:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fedor vs Werdum  (Read 800 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2010, 09:27:23 PM »

<SIGH!>

This fight is on showtime.  no bars in my area have showtime. So far, no one I know has showtime.

A chance to see Fedor fight live and I can't find a way to see it. Boo!

Should be an interesting fight.  Not many people are giving Werdum a chance, but it could be interesting.  I don't think that a guy that had to go the distance to beat Big Foot is going to bring much challenge to Fedor...but one never knows.

I don't have any predictions as I don't know that much about Werdum.  Hopefully Fedor pulls it out.  That will set up a HEYOOGE fight with Overeem.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:47:19 PM »

I see Fedor either via (T)KO or unanimous decision. Werdum has a phenomenal submission game, but nothing Fedor can't handle I don't think. He's not all that different from Big Nog in terms of fighting style, actually.

And I think either fighter beats Overeem via submission.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 01:19:34 AM »

Yeah I have to agree - Werdum is a good (maybe even very good) fighter but he just is not remotely close to Fedor's class.  He isn't going to be able to stand up to Fedor and I don't see him taking him down very easily either, to be honest.  The only way Fedor loses this is if Werdum gets EXTREMELY lucky with a punch or Fedor goes super-retard and tries to take Werdum down and gets submitted from the top.

This is another one of those I really don't understand Fedor taking.  He can only hurt his reputation in this fight.  He has to completely dominate to live up to expectations - if he doesn't (or if god forbid he gets caught and loses), he feeds the fodder that he's ducking the UFC because he knows he'll get killed against their heavyweights.

Overeem is the only competition that Strikeforce can offer the guy and I cannot for the life of me figure out why they didn't make that fight happen sooner.  That being said, if and when it does happen, I still see Fedor taking Overeem out as well.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »

I haven't been able to see Fedor fight in a really long time, but when I did see him fight he looked unstoppable.  He had more composure than I've ever seen in a fighter and would quickly find a weakness in his opponents.  Has he still dominated or have any of his other fights made him look beatable?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 02:48:31 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on June 23, 2010, 01:36:17 PM

I haven't been able to see Fedor fight in a really long time, but when I did see him fight he looked unstoppable.  He had more composure than I've ever seen in a fighter and would quickly find a weakness in his opponents.  Has he still dominated or have any of his other fights made him look beatable?

People say he looked bad against rogers, but on replay he never took any damage and the cut he got was one that was reopened from a sparring session.  But like Gellar said, if he isn't murdering someone from the opening bell people think he's lost a step.

He's still unstoppable...but people are wondering how much longer that will last.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 04:07:51 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 23, 2010, 02:48:31 PM

People say he looked bad against rogers, but on replay he never took any damage and the cut he got was one that was reopened from a sparring session.  But like Gellar said, if he isn't murdering someone from the opening bell people think he's lost a step.

He's still unstoppable...but people are wondering how much longer that will last.

I thought he looked good against Rogers. I would just love to see him in the UFC so we can finally get past the doubt over whether he is as good as people think he is. I think he would tear up Lesnar, but sadly will probably never see that fight.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 23, 2010, 04:07:51 PM

I thought he looked good against Rogers. I would just love to see him in the UFC so we can finally get past the doubt over whether he is as good as people think he is. I think he would tear up Lesnar, but sadly will probably never see that fight.

I actually think Carwin is going to beat Lesnar.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 23, 2010, 04:58:33 PM

He's got a shot... unless Lesnar gets on top of him.  I just don't think there is any recovering from that.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 02:10:55 PM »

Yeah lesnar v carwin is interesting.  I personally think carwin is overmatched, but for some reason I think he wins this.  I do think lesnar will take the rematch though.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/25/SPDN1E4CVP.DTL

Little article about Fedor in the local paper.  Seems like a real nice guy. 
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 05:49:58 AM »

Well Fedor finally lost. I doubt the streak will ever be matched. I'd still rank him #1 in the world and would pick him again in a heartbeat.

Good for Werdum, though. He could be in for a long night against Overeem, but if he can survive the early onslaught I think he'll take him out again.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »

Wow.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 23, 2010, 05:01:28 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on June 23, 2010, 04:58:33 PM

He's got a shot... unless Lesnar gets on top of him.  I just don't think there is any recovering from that.

QFT.

I'd like to add, though, that I think Brock Lesnar as champ is vastly better for the UFC than Carwin as champ.  It's like pro wrestling, in a way (apt considering who we're talking about) - people want to see the bad guy (in this case, Brock) get beat.  The longer he goes as champ, the more people are going to want to see him get beat.  That = MONEY.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 02:45:33 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 23, 2010, 01:19:34 AM

The only way Fedor loses this is if Werdum gets EXTREMELY lucky with a punch or Fedor goes super-retard and tries to take Werdum down and gets submitted from the top.

This is another one of those I really don't understand Fedor taking.  He can only hurt his reputation in this fight.  He has to completely dominate to live up to expectations - if he doesn't (or if god forbid he gets caught and loses), he feeds the fodder that he's ducking the UFC because he knows he'll get killed against their heavyweights.

Goddamn I am good. 

Once again, Strikeforce shows you can't have a promotion with just one drawing card (ala Kimbo or Fedor).  Freak losses happen incredibly often in the UFC.  The problem with Fedor was that his drawing card was his "undefeated" record.  He's not particularly interesting otherwise.  Strikeforce has a major issue on their hands.

Dana White, obviously, is overjoyed.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »

I'm not sure Dana is overjoyed, or if he should be.  Yes, Fedor was a draw for the opposition, but in the grand scheme of things his legendary status was good for the sport, not just for Strikeforce.  I'm sure he was overjoyed when Kimbo went down, but that was because Kimbo was very bad for the sport.  Kimbo perpetuated the myth that MMA was just a bunch of bar brawlers.  His inability to stand up to real MMA fighters showed that the sport is far beyond the abilities of circus acts like Kimbo.

Right now MMA is drawing in tons of new people and what Dana wants is the sport, not just the UFC, to continue drawing in tons of new people.  The way to do this is for the sport to have big attractions and the biggest attraction of them all just got taken down a peg.  That's why Dana shouldn't be overjoyed.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »

I read an interview with Fedor after the fight where he said he came to the states for one more specific fight. Does anyone know what fight he is talking about? He seemed to imply that he had a specific fight/goal in mind and the loss didn't get in the way of that fight.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 04:08:01 PM »

I know he only has 1 more fight left under his contract with Strikeforce.
Maybe thats what he meant?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »

Yeah.  He's likely referring to the one remaining fight on his strikeforce contract.  In other news, sherdog is now ranking brock as the number 1 HW.  I disagree, but time will tell.  I guess if Casrwin wins he'll be number 1.  That also makes no sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: