http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fedor v. Henderson  (Read 890 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »

I have no idea how I feel about this fight.

I love Fedor and who knows what could have happened if he'd been able to proceed into round three (probably more of a beating, but still) with Bigfoot, but fighting a 205er even if it is Hendo just sends all kind of bad signals. 

His management says he's not moving down.  I think it's just foolish and seeing him at 205 might be just an amazing thing.

On paper, I don't see Hendo handling Fedor at all. But I didn't see Werdun getting him and I definitely didn't see Bigfoot destroying him.  This is different though, I think Fedor is going to put this fight away in the first round.  What that means? I dunno.  Next opponent? Overreem now that he's been bounced out of the GP (well called Gellar, the GP has been a disaster). I still think Fedor could take the reem, but that could be fanboi talking.

Also: Marloes Conen vs Miesha Tate.  This is gonna be an awesome fight.  Just awesome.  I can't pick it.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »

I always found Hendo to be hugely underrated.  He has all the tools, has a fucking cinderblock for a chin, and it's his weight class.  I don't think this is a good fight for Fedor.  It's incredibly unlikely he knocks Hendo, as dude's NEVER ONCE BEEN KNOCKED OUT.  Fedor has to cut weight, which he's never done to my knowledge.  I just don't actually see a way for Fedor to win it.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:35:09 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 25, 2011, 05:28:25 PM

I always found Hendo to be hugely underrated.  He has all the tools, has a fucking cinderblock for a chin, and it's his weight class.  I don't think this is a good fight for Fedor.  It's incredibly unlikely he knocks Hendo, as dude's NEVER ONCE BEEN KNOCKED OUT.  Fedor has to cut weight, which he's never done to my knowledge.  I just don't actually see a way for Fedor to win it.

They're fighting at heavyweight.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 25, 2011, 05:35:09 PM

Oh really?  Hendo must have really wanted the fight then.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »

Fedor via armbar or RNC, depending on whichever one Hendo gives up first. Hendo is one of my favorite fighters, but I just don't see him as being superior to Fedor in any respect.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »

I see this as a lose-lose for for Fedor.  If he wins, everyone will say he beat a smaller guy and that he must  be washed up to agree to the fight.   If he loses, people will say he is washed up because he couldn't beat a smaller guy.  I don't see the benefit other than a paycheck.  In all fairness, this  may be all he wants at this point in his career.  I don't see him winning a major title unless he drops weight.  The current group of heavyweights are  just too big.   Fedor has always looked pudgy around the gut.  I dont think it would take much for him to drop down.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:41:49 PM »

People are seeming to think this fight is going to be a lot closer than I do. Pro picks on sherdog were 18-14 in fedor's favor.

heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 03:44:46 AM »

Fedor - A surprisingly svelte 223 lb
Hendo - A not so surprisingly svelter 207 lb

Should be an outstanding fight.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 08:37:31 AM »

Quote from: ATB on July 25, 2011, 05:35:09 PM

I always found Hendo to be hugely underrated.  He has all the tools, has a fucking cinderblock for a chin, and it's his weight class.  I don't think this is a good fight for Fedor.  It's incredibly unlikely he knocks Hendo, as dude's NEVER ONCE BEEN KNOCKED OUT.  Fedor has to cut weight, which he's never done to my knowledge.  I just don't actually see a way for Fedor to win it.

Fedor has always been a small heavyweight so the difference isn't that much. plus Hendo has fought bigger guys than him from his days in Pride. If its the lackluster Fedor thats shown up to his last 2 fights its going to be another loss IMO. As great as he was I think his days are over.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »

Pleased with his weight. Looks like he lost some of that charming Fedor spare tire.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »

Quote from: heloder on July 30, 2011, 03:44:46 AM

Fedor - A surprisingly svelte 223 lb
Hendo - A not so surprisingly svelter 207 lb

Should be an outstanding fight.

The women all have better abs than Fedor.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 11:42:35 PM »

He's not being paid to look pretty.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 04:39:42 AM »

Sigh.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 04:50:45 AM »

Quote from: heloder on July 31, 2011, 04:39:42 AM

Sigh.

+ Forever.

Time to hang it up.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 05:11:23 AM »

Wow.  Epic fail.
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 05:19:06 AM »

Quote from: ATB on July 31, 2011, 04:50:45 AM

Sigh.

+ Forever.

Time to hang it up.

"Non sequitur.  'Forever' and 'Time to hang it up' does not compute."

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »

He needs to call it. The people around him have to say its time or he will continue to think he can come back like Chuck Lidell did.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on July 31, 2011, 05:19:06 AM

Quote from: ATB on July 31, 2011, 04:50:45 AM

Sigh.

+ Forever.

Time to hang it up.

"Non sequitur.  'Forever' and 'Time to hang it up' does not compute."

The + forever was to the heavy sigh as in "i'll be sighing forever about this unexpected and ridiculous loss.'

So indeed it does.

In other news, Fedor has gotten SO sloppy.  He only focuses on striking. Never does anything else.  I really hope this was his last fight.
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »

Yeah, he is done.  He just comes out and swings for the knockout.   The guy starts bleeding in the locker room.    The eye that Silva mauled looked bad again last night.   I hope he has someone around him that can tell him it's time to hang up the gloves before he gets hurt.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 03:40:38 PM »

What happened to Fedor?  Wasn't he an unstoppable killing machine until 2 fights ago?  How do you go from that to must retire so quickly?
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 06:03:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 31, 2011, 03:40:38 PM

What happened to Fedor?  Wasn't he an unstoppable killing machine until 2 fights ago?  How do you go from that to must retire so quickly?

You don't face any real competition.  Instead you fight guys who were once big names and are trying to save what they can of their fading career.    You have your management make rediculous demands to avoid fighting top competition and say that it is the other side's fault that you will not be fighting the fights people want to see due to that. 

Fedor's record is certainly impressive and so are some of his wins.  But when was his last real fight against top competition?  Perhaps the Crocop fight back in 2005?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »

Just saw the knockout.  Fedor was OUT after that sneak uppercut from Hendo.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 09:54:09 PM »

Quote from: Owain on July 31, 2011, 06:03:33 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on July 31, 2011, 03:40:38 PM

You don't face any real competition.  Instead you fight guys who were once big names and are trying to save what they can of their fading career.    You have your management make rediculous demands to avoid fighting top competition and say that it is the other side's fault that you will not be fighting the fights people want to see due to that. 

Fedor's record is certainly impressive and so are some of his wins.  But when was his last real fight against top competition?  Perhaps the Crocop fight back in 2005?

Bzzt. He was slated to fight the then number two in the world Barnett, but Barnett tested positive. If that fight had happened no one would have batted an eye at his competition.

And Rogers was top 10 when Fedor fought him...even though anyone who knows anything knows Rogers was FAR from being in the top 10 of anything accept maybe prospects...

I think if Fedor fights again,  he needs to do something drastic to reconnect with his body and skills. Otherwise he could end up like Chuck and Kem Shamrock....
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 12:28:06 AM »

Bullshit.

Yeah he was out momentarily in this fight, but have a rematch and it could go the other way just as easily.

You dont call a man done because he got caught for a split second, a minute into the first round.

sigh indeed.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 02:32:51 AM »

I think it's a bit too early to say it's over.  He's not losing to scrubs.  I'm not saying he's Fedor of 6 years ago, but he's not Chuck Liddell either. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on August 01, 2011, 02:32:51 AM

I think it's a bit too early to say it's over.  He's not losing to scrubs.  I'm not saying he's Fedor of 6 years ago, but he's not Chuck Liddell either. 

Ok this is fair.  Chuck did what he always did and lost.  Fedor has room to go back to the techniques that made him the best.  Sergio non has a great article about Fedor's recklessness and how he's abandoned what made him a legend...
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on August 01, 2011, 12:28:06 AM

Bullshit.

Yeah he was out momentarily in this fight, but have a rematch and it could go the other way just as easily.

You dont call a man done because he got caught for a split second, a minute into the first round.

sigh indeed.

I dont think anyone is calling him done due to  the flash knockout against Henderson.  It happens.  I think the three losses in a row are strong indications he doesn't have much left in the tank.   The Silva fight was brutal and hard to watch.  I just dont see anything that indicates he could beat man of the top fighters in MMA at the moment.   Maybe if he cut weight down light heavy weight  and corrected the flaws in his style that have showed up then maybe. Like I said earlier. Some fighters just get old fast.  I see strong indications that may have happened to him.  Shame.  I loved to watch him fight.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on August 01, 2011, 06:30:36 PM

Bullshit.

sigh indeed.

I dont think anyone is calling him done due to  the flash knockout against Henderson.  It happens.  I think the three losses in a row are strong indications he doesn't have much left in the tank.   The Silva fight was brutal and hard to watch.  I just dont see anything that indicates he could beat man of the top fighters in MMA at the moment.   Maybe if he cut weight down light heavy weight  and corrected the flaws in his style that have showed up then maybe. Like I said earlier. Some fighters just get old fast.  I see strong indications that may have happened to him.  Shame.  I loved to watch him fight.

I think it has less to do with Fedor than it does the division itself.  The fighters now are just flat out better and more rounded than in Fedor's heyday.  Not to mention they are now giants.  Fedor would realistically have to drop to 205 to be competitive, which I don't think he'll do.

It's a similar story to a bunch of guys: Fedor, Cro Cop, Vanderlei... the sport is just different now.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »

Agreed.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 07:35:49 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 01, 2011, 07:09:39 PM

Bullshit.

sigh indeed.I dont think anyone is calling him done due to  the flash knockout against Henderson.  It happens.  I think the three losses in a row are strong indications he doesn't have much left in the tank.   The Silva fight was brutal and hard to watch.  I just dont see anything that indicates he could beat man of the top fighters in MMA at the moment.   Maybe if he cut weight down light heavy weight  and corrected the flaws in his style that have showed up then maybe. Like I said earlier. Some fighters just get old fast.  I see strong indications that may have happened to him.  Shame.  I loved to watch him fight.

I think it has less to do with Fedor than it does the division itself.  The fighters now are just flat out better and more rounded than in Fedor's heyday.  Not to mention they are now giants.  Fedor would realistically have to drop to 205 to be competitive, which I don't think he'll do.

It's a similar story to a bunch of guys: Fedor, Cro Cop, Vanderlei... the sport is just different now.

No question. But he would be more competitive (even in the current landscape) if he continued to use all of the tools he's known for. I Just don't understand why he is trying to do it all with his fists...

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 01, 2011, 07:35:49 PM

Quote from: gellar on August 01, 2011, 07:09:39 PM

Bullshit.

sigh indeed.I dont think anyone is calling him done due to  the flash knockout against Henderson.  It happens.  I think the three losses in a row are strong indications he doesn't have much left in the tank.   The Silva fight was brutal and hard to watch.  I just dont see anything that indicates he could beat man of the top fighters in MMA at the moment.   Maybe if he cut weight down light heavy weight  and corrected the flaws in his style that have showed up then maybe. Like I said earlier. Some fighters just get old fast.  I see strong indications that may have happened to him.  Shame.  I loved to watch him fight.

I think it has less to do with Fedor than it does the division itself.  The fighters now are just flat out better and more rounded than in Fedor's heyday.  Not to mention they are now giants.  Fedor would realistically have to drop to 205 to be competitive, which I don't think he'll do.

No question. But he would be more competitive (even in the current landscape) if he continued to use all of the tools he's known for. I Just don't understand why he is trying to do it all with his fists...

Well I think in a lot of cases, it's because he knows going to the ground against MUCH bigger opponents (Werdum and Silva) is not necessarily a great tactic.  Sure Fedor knows what he's doing down there, but Werdum submitted him and taking Silva down (who's no slouch down there either) is no easy task.

Hendo, on the other hand... I dunno.  I thought Fedor looked really good in that fight UNTIL he jumped to the ground where he looked EXCEPTIONALLY sloppy.  There was probably a bit of over exuberance there which wouldn't be surprising given the losing streak he was on.  Being the first to stop Hendo with a KO would've been a significant statement.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »

There was no doubt Henderson was quicker in that fight. Maybe Fedor wasn't expecting that.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: