http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 06:35:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FDA approved implant chip  (Read 1689 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 04:40:36 PM »

So does this freak anyone else out?  The FDA approved for a chip to be implante din to people to speed up medical record access?  This just sounds like some shady business that could defintely be used for the wrong reasons...

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,65332,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_8

EP
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 05:39:49 PM »

ITS TEH MARK OF BAST!!!!!1!!1!!11!11!1!1111!!!1!1!!!!1!1!!1!!1!1! OMG

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
gorky1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 05:56:31 PM »

What's wrong with a tattooed barcode on the neck? Why use those fancy chip thingies?
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 06:05:37 PM »

Heh, within 20 years we'll see chips implanted in children that:

gps track them
monitor heart rate
monitor chemicals in bloodstream

No more sex, booze, or drugs without their parents knowing  :lol:
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 07:20:17 PM »

Quote from: "gorky1"
What's wrong with a tattooed barcode on the neck? Why use those fancy chip thingies?

Because I could flex my neck and easily become a smut peddler in Russia.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 07:27:18 PM »

The technology fascinates and scares the crap out of me.  I don't have much trust in the level of privacy we have in the US in regards to the free market.  We're in a society where we have to "opt out" in order to not receive junk mail, telemarketing calls, spam.  Where in certain states our DMV info can be sold.  Where our Social Security number can be used to find out so many things about us.

No thanks.  I like the potential benefits, but we're not ready to responsibly use this yet.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 07:38:14 PM »

I will gladly submit myself for the glory and honor of The Collective!!!!!

:lol:

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 07:39:01 PM »

Quote from: "Siljanus"
The technology fascinates and scares the crap out of me.  I don't have much trust in the level of privacy we have in the US in regards to the free market.  We're in a society where we have to "opt out" in order to not receive junk mail, telemarketing calls, spam.  Where in certain states our DMV info can be sold.  Where our Social Security number can be used to find out so many things about us.

The counter to this is that health information is protected with a much stronger federal statute than any other kind of information.

Most health care professionals hate HIPAA since it creates this extra layer of bureaucracy.  But it really would put a crimp in any kind of Big Brother type behavior you might fear from the implant chip.

Plus we (you and I Silj) live in a state (Maryland) that has an even *stricter* medical confidentiality statute (The Maryland Confidentiality of Medical Records Act, aka MCRMA).  That plus HIPAA means your protected health information is protected quite well in reality.
UsulofDoom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 07:41:03 PM »

I'll make a bet right now that within 1 year all prisoners will have a implanted chip.

Wait how about assassin devises that will hunt down individuals using this technology? :twisted:
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 08:08:34 PM »

Quote from: "Eightball"
Quote from: "Siljanus"

The counter to this is that health information is protected with a much stronger federal statute than any other kind of information.

Most health care professionals hate HIPAA since it creates this extra layer of bureaucracy.  But it really would put a crimp in any kind of Big Brother type behavior you might fear from the implant chip.

Plus we (you and I Silj) live in a state (Maryland) that has an even *stricter* medical confidentiality statute (The Maryland Confidentiality of Medical Records Act, aka MCRMA).  That plus HIPAA means your protected health information is protected quite well in reality.

I agree that with the passage of HIPAA our health info is more secure.  And it's good to know that MD has been proactive in safeguarding our info.  My concern is more with this technology being used for the storage of non medical data.  And I'm more concerned not with the typical Gov "Big Brother"  but with the corporate "Big Brother" who actually stands to profit by information about an individual.

I just think with the strides in information technology and storage we have to rethink privacy issues and appropriate protections.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 10:40:52 PM »

The story is that it will be a pass-code only.  Nothing will be stored on the chip except for an identifier (so they say).  I just don't like the idea of anything that is implanted in the body that has the potential to track where you go.  There is a big leap from helping in the speed to which medical records can be accessed and storing information in ones body that can potentially be tampered and used for who knows what...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 10:47:50 PM »

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 11:01:02 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
The story is that it will be a pass-code only.  Nothing will be stored on the chip except for an identifier (so they say).  I just don't like the idea of anything that is implanted in the body that has the potential to track where you go.  There is a big leap from helping in the speed to which medical records can be accessed and storing information in ones body that can potentially be tampered and used for who knows what...

Actually, the risk for abuse is linking the identifier which is stored on the person to whatever database companies want to have on you.  Sort of like a biological cookie...

Meanwhile, the chip has been used for a number of security-related tasks as well as for pure whimsy: Club hoppers in Barcelona, Spain, now use the microchip much like a smartcard to speed drink orders and payment.

Oh, great pic by the way.  Just bought and watched THX-1138 on DVD recently as you may have guessed by my sig...

obb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 12:00:44 AM »

Dang, it was the CNN article or something on the same topic that was kinda funny.

"about 1000 injections have been used worldwide"

"1000 have been injected into Mexican patients"

"200 have been injected into people at the attorney general's office"

1000 in Mex + 200 in Mex + the rest of the world injections = ~1000 worldwide

I just thought it was funny that it was all Mexico.  It just seems... weird.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 01:51:05 PM »

Exactly Siljanus... It could be turned into useful things like EZPass or CreditCard ID but it could go to anything else like tracking your position...etc.

The problem is that it seems inevitable that this will happen.

On a side note this reminded me of those GPS chips you can get implante din your dog to track it down if it runs away.  Just replace the Dog with us and bingo..
UsulofDoom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 04:36:58 PM »

Do you really think it would be hard to steal someones identity.

Come on bar tenders have credit card readers that read the magnetic strips. Now you will be able to get a bunch of ids at any gathering place.

Even in Minority Report you could get new eyes.  biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: