http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 10:22:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Music  (Read 1255 times)
Darren8r
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2005, 09:45:27 PM »

Whats your favorite type of music and/or band?

I like Metal, but I will listen to just about everything. I like Metal because I play guitar and its the toughest to play on guitar, and its also heavy biggrin

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 09:52:58 PM »

My don't really have a favorite type of music.

But what I can tell you is that Rilo Kiley and Stars are the two greatest bands ever.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 01:37:33 AM »

Yeah I listen to too much stuff to really have a favorite, but one wierd thing for people our age I guess is that I really like music from the 50s and 60s.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 01:42:38 AM »

I've been enjoying the new audioslave cd....

I'll listen to whatever's playing on the radio that's catchy except for rap / hip hop (hurts my brain).  

BUT, when I do buy music, I pick up mostly rock / alternative stuff (don't want to be caught with the justin timberlake cd :lol:).  I tend to like canadian bands (matt good, IME, watchmen, etc) a little more though.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 01:53:45 AM »

Weird music that, most likely, many of you haven't heard before.  I would classify it as EBM, electronic, that sort of thing.  But not that sucky "techno" - no no no - this stuff is actually good!

VNV Nation, Neuroticfish, In Strict Confidence, Assemblage 23, Apoptygma Berzerk, Dismantled, and more.

But I also really like listening to classical music.  Actually, classical music might be my favorite sort of musical genre.  I love anything done by Beethoven, notably all three movements of his Moonlight Sonata.  I also like pretty much all of his Symphonies, with my favorite probably being his Symphony #6 or #9.  I also enjoy selections by Bach, Chopin (probably the best  pianist composer in my opinion), Allan Pettersson, anything Handel, Tchaikovsky, and some select Mozart pieces.

I was a die-hard Depeche Mode fan.  Though I'm not so much anymore, I still enjoy their music.

My musical taste is weird   smile

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 03:01:42 AM »

Classical. More specifically Baroque. Bach comprises atleast 1/4 of my entire music collection. Love Scarlatti as well.  William Byrd is pretty cool too(Renaissance, not baroque.)  I also like some Grieg, Handel, Schubert, and Tchaikovsky. Mozart and Beethoven to a couple things I like, and so did Chopin(but generally not a big fan.)

Besides that I'm into the Oldies and a little bit of everything except Rap, Pop, R&B, Country and anything that has the seperatist air about it (i.e. Emo, ::gag:smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 03:55:05 AM »

Lately about the only thing I've been listening to is Toxicity by System of a Down.  I had someone recommend them and I just bought this album a couple weeks ago.  It's marvelous.  I'm going to pick up Mesmerize next.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 05:15:45 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Lately about the only thing I've been listening to is Toxicity by System of a Down.  I had someone recommend them and I just bought this album a couple weeks ago.  It's marvelous.  I'm going to pick up Mesmerize next.

Grab their Self-Titled disc next. It's excellent too. Steal this Album is still great, it's just a little more offbeat and different from their other discs. Also: Look for the other half of Mesmerize in the next couple months sometime. I don't remember the exact date or title. I think the title might be Hypnotize.

As far as what kind of music I really like.. well I was listening to the above mentioned System disc Mesmerize on Wednesday, and yesterday I was listening to the new Gorillaz disc. I'm betting I listen to The Cure on the way to work tomorrow.

So really? I dont' have an answer for that question. One day I'll be listening to Killswitch Engage and the next it will be Natalie Merchant. The only things you can count on me to avoid are Rap/R&B/Hip-Hop, and Country.

The rest of it? Fair game.

Matter of fact I should be getting Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around in the next couple of days from Yourmusic.com. That should be a fun listen.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 06:26:27 AM »

Since leaving my teenage years behind me oh about 16 years ago Ive not really been into music like I was then. I really dont have a favorite band and ill listen to about anything except opera. I prefer rock though above the other types. I was a teen in the 80s so I was horribly scarred from the music smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 07:20:17 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Since leaving my teenage years behind me oh about 16 years ago Ive not really been into music like I was then. I really dont have a favorite band and ill listen to about anything except opera. I prefer rock though above the other types. I was a teen in the 80s so I was horribly scarred from the music smile

No opera eh? What about Metal with some opera influences like Nightwish?

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 07:25:55 AM »

Metal, Rock, Industrial.  I also like Latin and Italian musica, some Rap (not a lot of it, however), and I can tolerate some other stuff.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 02:08:54 PM »

I listen to a wide variety of mostly non mainstream music.

Main genre would be post-punk/new wave music from the late 70s through the later 80s, but I listen to a lot of recent music too.  Not much radio though, radio bores me.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 07:44:52 PM »

I listen to a little bit of everything, from traditional Celtic music, Celtic punk, and some modern and mainstream rock to Americana/folk/bluegrass/alt-country. The GG, CG and OO forums have really opened up my taste in music, as I've discovered a ton of people (Great Big Sea, House of Freaks, Decemberists) that I never would have discovered otherwise.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 08:46:10 PM »

Quote from: "Grievous Angel"
Celtic punk

Huh?  What?

Would that be The Pogues?  If not, it sure sounds intriguing.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 11:20:41 PM »

Well, it's really my description of the music, maybe not the official name. I'd consider the Pogues to be a part of that, as well as current bands like Flogging Molly and the Tossers. The Dropkick Murphys get a lot of mention as well, but I've never really listened to them as much. I like the fact that it tends to be fast and (in the case of FM) loud while still using traditional instruments like fiddles, tin whistles and banjos.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 12:03:12 AM »

Ween represent!

Other than that I've been very mellow lately, sticking to the old standby's Rilo Kiley and Belle and Sebastian.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 02:53:32 AM »

I hate to admit it, but I really like that Kanye West song Golddigger. It makes me laugh-its a pretty good observation of how some of this crazy dating scene works.

On the flip side, if I ever hear that inane, horrid, a-melodious Gwen Stefani song, Hollaback Bitch or whatever its called, again I will likely gouge out my eardrums with a blunt spoon. For the love of god, what the flying hell is that woman talking about, and could it sound any worse?
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 01:10:48 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Weird music that, most likely, many of you haven't heard before.  I would classify it as EBM, electronic, that sort of thing.  But not that sucky "techno" - no no no - this stuff is actually good!

VNV Nation, Neuroticfish, In Strict Confidence, Assemblage 23, Apoptygma Berzerk, Dismantled, and more.

Any boards of canada in there?  I think its more IDM (so bizarrely coined from Intelligent Dance Music it appears? Dunno about that)  Or along the same lines Caribou, Manitoba?  Been getting into that more...its industrialish

Then I like my indie rock like Sufjan Stevens, Decemberists, Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, Modest Mouse, Dungen.  That can get me through most days.
Randomayhem
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 07:23:22 PM »

Classical for me, but more in the Late Romantic / quasi-mystical idiom.  Sergei Rachmaninoff, Arnold Bax, Howard Hanson and Cyril Scott are probably at the top of my list.

I was ushered into classical by film scores, although my decade-long disinterest in Hollywood has dampened that enthusiasm a bit.  Miklos Rozsa for the '50s, John Barry in the '60s, Jerry Goldsmith in the '70s...

If we must wander into something that actually gets played on the radio somewhere, I still buy the albums of Chinese diva Faye Wong, although her release rate has fallen off dramatically the past few years.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 07:27:57 PM »

Hands down, no doubt.

That said, I'll listen to just about everything between metal and electronica.  Just none of that sister-humpin redneck country music or the "fat guys are jolly" opera.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: