http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:47:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite GG moment  (Read 13230 times)
Zaxxon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2004, 05:44:00 PM »

Quote from: "Aliasbuck"
And this is why you'll be one of the great guys of all time in my book, Zaxxon.  To see the pictures of Blackhawk that Christmas was one of the most wonderful heartwarming stories I have to tell.  And reason number 1 why I stick around even though I'm one of the "out"  :wink:  crowd

I think the credit goes out to the dozens who helped with that one; I was just the messenger.

TML, ditto that!  Half my 'real' friends were met on GG!
triggercut
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2004, 05:44:37 PM »

"Kate Botello, Hot Or Not" may have been the time I laughed the hardest at GG.  I've never really watched Tech TV, and had no idea who the heck she was, but the rapidfire responses of Morton (pro-hot) and Simon (con-hot) were amazingly funny.
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2004, 05:58:13 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

-The people I've met through GG.  The FANTASTIC people I know on a personal level can all be attributed to GG.

Ditto that.  Aside from meeting Neal, making friends with Chris G. and the Colorado contingent has been great, and getting to know people through GG has just been amazing.  It really is/was an irreplaceable place.

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2004, 06:09:34 PM »

Too many great moments to count.

I just wanted to dispel the rumors that I was posting as Tareeq or UT.  Their great moments are not attributable to me.

However, it's also time to come clean -- I was posting as Smoove_B.  My therapist recommended it as a method of getting in touch with my feminine side.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
telcta
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2004, 06:13:01 PM »

:shock:
noxiousdog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2004, 06:23:33 PM »

Quote from: "Mr. Fed"
Too many great moments to count.

I just wanted to dispel the rumors that I was posting as Tareeq or UT.  Their great moments are not attributable to me.

However, it's also time to come clean -- I was posting as Smoove_B.  My therapist recommended it as a method of getting in touch with my feminine side.

Speaking of... has anyone seen Nan Desu?

In the meantime, you're welcome to discuss R&P here.
OOTP Commish: HCL
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2004, 06:40:54 PM »

Quote from: "triggercut"
"Kate Botello, Hot Or Not" may have been the time I laughed the hardest at GG.  I've never really watched Tech TV, and had no idea who the heck she was, but the rapidfire responses of Morton (pro-hot) and Simon (con-hot) were amazingly funny.

That thread proved that it is actually possible to have perfect comedic timing within a webforum thread, AND with pictures.  Amazing work.

I have to echo that meeting several GGers here in the DC area has been a real highlight, including the visiting Killer Pimp.  ("We are way overdue for another gathering," says Freezer, without actually volunteering to organize one.)  And the GG forum, with its mighty "Search" function, was an invaluable one-stop source for gaming, hardware, news, and pop culture.  If GG is never to return, I truly hope the forum content can be recovered somehow and made available in at least read-only form.  Since I tend to buy games way after they are released, searching in PC Games by Title was always my first step when checking out a new purchase.  EBG came in handy that way too -- in fact just yesterday I bought a nice watch in part based on recommendations in the few recent watch threads.  (Got a Swiss Army Infantry model, in case anyone is curious.)  Now that I look around my apartment, I can trace a bunch of things to GG -- countless game purchases, a few bottles of wine (thanks triggercut, Mr Hido and others), etc.  GG drives the economy!

Most other specific moments have been mentioned, but in general GG had an unusually high concentration of interesting and thoughtful posters, both on the gaming side and the EBG side.  I think Rich's style and also Bill's Night Calls drew a lot of folks in and made the forums and the site itself a site not just for games, but a site for gamers who also knew about and liked to talk about a lot of other stuff.  I think their generosity, and that of the mods and other GG staff, spurred a lot of additional community goodwill that made things such as the Blackhawk Christmas, the PIFF thread, and other acts of kindness possible.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2004, 06:57:58 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"

Then there was the Yankees Pwned thread.  I wish I could remember the poster's name, but it was a simple 'Oh My' and a photo of some weird asian gameshow craziness going on.  It still makes me laugh out loud.

Happy I could be of service  :twisted:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2004, 07:19:04 PM »

As an old timer, two fond memories stick out:

For years, I thought I was the only fool  to gauge the value of a game by the weight of the box and contents. The first time Rich mentioned the "lift test", I knew I was home.

My first 3 years or so on GG were spent on the home page, GBT,  the release schedule, and Joel Mathis' column (I just wish I could remember the damn name). Joel deserves a shout-out, wherever he may be. His take on Ultima IX was classic.

It just popped into my head - The Hot Sheet

The Artist Formerly Known as TGB
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2004, 07:31:52 PM »

Quote from: "Tareeq"
Quote from: "Scraper"
WhitePride is memorable for me, simply because he was the worst poster ever to appear on GG. That's saying a lot too.

Wasn't Whitepride just another login for Kahless and Bplotkin?  That was implied in the "who is Kahless anyway?" thread.  I never experienced that person directly until this weekend, but hated it the instant it reared its head here.

Hmm, GG's worst posters?

whitepride
bplotkin (scammer)
kahless
Tony72
TSS (long winded scammer)

IIRC, it was pretty much proven that bplotkin = kahless.  He may also be behind whitepride and Tony72 as well.
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2004, 07:35:53 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Quote from: "Tareeq"
Quote from: "Scraper"
WhitePride is memorable for me, simply because he was the worst poster ever to appear on GG. That's saying a lot too.

Wasn't Whitepride just another login for Kahless and Bplotkin?  That was implied in the "who is Kahless anyway?" thread.  I never experienced that person directly until this weekend, but hated it the instant it reared its head here.

Hmm, GG's worst posters?

whitepride
bplotkin (scammer)
kahless
Tony72
TSS (long winded scammer)

IIRC, it was pretty much proven that bplotkin = kahless.  He may also be behind whitepride and Tony72 as well.

Don't forget Thomas Covenant/High Lord Elena, a single entity who briefly joined a #GG chat session just for the purposes of later posting lies about #GG on GoneGold.
Seekre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2004, 07:37:12 PM »

My favorite GG moments were the daily 'Roll Call's by Rich - a great writer/blogger
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2004, 07:43:33 PM »

Quote from: "noun"

Don't forget Thomas Covenant/High Lord Elena, a single entity who briefly joined a #GG chat session just for the purposes of later posting lies about #GG on GoneGold.

omg yes, he's high on the list. Can't believe i forgot him.
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2004, 07:44:50 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

While I have no problems with tony72 being included on that list, I don't believe he was part of the Kahless/bplotkin dementia.

Tony72 and Tyler Durden were one and the same.  And I'm not so sure that he's gone.  I'm sure the third alias is somewhere in the machine.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2004, 07:49:34 PM »

Quote from: "Seekre"
My favorite GG moments were the daily 'Roll Call's by Rich - a great writer/blogger

I second that. Whether talking about games, raising kids, his life or life as a cop, he always had a poignant way about stating things that was very 'real' and usually moved me more than anything else i was reading on the net at the time.

It wasn't until his posts started to slow down that i discovered the underworld that is the GG forum. It felt like home.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2004, 07:50:22 PM »

The best GG moment was when Thomas Covenant's (TC's) kid posted asking if TC's copying of MSOffice counted as piracy just lines below TC's signature which read "Hypocrisy is disgusting."

:lol:  :lol:

In fact, that exchange was my sig for about an hour, until I was told I had to change it.  It wasn't breaking any rules, but hey, GG mods know best, right?!?   :roll:  

Also, I loved the trading forum.  I never got screwed there, even when I made a deal with TSS.  GG's Trading was probably the best on the internet.

I'd like to throw in DS's banning, but since it came two years too late, it's hard for me to cheer for it.  In fact, I'll go so far as to say it wasn't "Better late than never," Dr. Supreme Commander Derek Smart's banning was instead "Too little, too late."

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Guy Incognito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2004, 08:02:34 PM »

If anyone's interested I have a copy of the Krimnal Sopina on my home computer and even recently did a copy/paste of the massive "Smoove_B was the first mammal to wear panties" evolution thread (just the initial post, don't have any of the responses or followups)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2004, 08:03:17 PM »

I remember when GG got really drunk on mountain dew and vodka and tried to hit on my friend's mom, but she shot him down and kept calling him "Little GG from down the street?".

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2004, 08:13:48 PM »

Quote from: "Guy Incognito"
even recently did a copy/paste of the massive "Smoove_B was the first mammal to wear panties" evolution thread (just the initial post, don't have any of the responses or followups)

yeah, I'd hate for THAT thread title to die.   smile
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2004, 08:20:52 PM »

Who was the guy who did the absolutely brilliant Ultima IV After-Action Report?  I don't remember the poster, but it was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.  There was talk of converting it to a webpage - I hope so, because it would be a damn shame if that was lost forever.

Sample image from that thread:

Genius - pure Genius.   :lol:
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2004, 08:21:31 PM »

I still feel bad for that CompUSA manager that Kahless got fired.  Wonder if the poor guy was able to feed his kids through the holidays...

slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2004, 08:26:01 PM »

Hippolito did the Ultima 4 thread.  I hope someone saved it, something like that should not be lost  :cry:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2004, 08:43:18 PM »

I present to you, the archive of that thread

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rcmerritt/GGarchive/kate/KateBotellolovers_page1.htm

(fyi except for the page numbers, nothing else works.)

Smoove_B
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2004, 09:01:41 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rcmerritt/GGarchive/kate/KateBotellolovers_page1.htm

It makes me sad just to see the format.  :cry:
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2004, 09:06:06 PM »

I present to you Kate Botello as Judy Garland performing Winter Wonderland (warning! video and sound link)

More info on when and where to see her here (plus more streaming video- you know you want to see it)

Those where found when I happened upon her homepage http://katebotello.net/

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2004, 09:17:59 PM »

My God, that was excellent. More than just comedy gold, that was comedy heaven. Bravo guys, bravo!
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2004, 09:20:17 PM »

Quote from: "Tscott"
I present to you Kate Botello as Judy Garland performing Winter Wonderland (warning! video and sound link)

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2004, 09:51:30 PM »

My favorite was when I hit 3000 posts.

Now I'm starting over and it says "Newbie" by my name  :evil:

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2004, 10:43:08 PM »

I'll make it a top five list. My General Impressions though, not as to specific threads. Hell, I'll even call it a "Short Take" of favorites:

(1) Rich's Rollcalls,  but also the early front page in general. For many months early on I had no idea at all that there even were GG forums, and even if I'd noticed probably wouldn't have visited - I was unregistered & was just hitting GG for the Roll Calls, the "lift tests" & the short takes. And Rich's boundless enthusiasm for the commonly little oddball titles he'd champion. Liked what I was seeing & starting visiting more & more & finally visited the forums & eventually finally registered. Always missed all of that stuff when Rich's health problems kicked back up to crisis level, even when the Forums became my primary timekilling hangout.  Heck, I even miss the original / pre-current GG logo.

(2) The GoneGold effect: tried a number of titles I'd have otherwise passed on. _Mostly_ to very satisfying effect.

(3) The Gold Guide. Damn, that thing was _useful_. First thing I'd do after installing a title (well, after trying it out a bit) would be to Favorite the Gold Guide page for it, as I knew just about everything I'd want to know from hints to reviews would flow from that. Plus a handy way to read up on a title before swapping for it or buying it. Think it was Andy that did the Guide & he did a heck of a job for a long, long time.

(4) The Trading Place - what pulled me into the forums as much as anything, as I was one of the heavy swappers, think I was just recently finally closing in on +100 ; come to think of it (apart from the bits that came from Newegg) think the final tally was that I slowly built out the majority of 3 entire pc systems by either swapping or buying most of the components on GG. Plus bought a pda for good measure.  Best & safest swapping site on the internet.

(5) Never kept particular track of my info, no clue what my member number was, but think I was about 800 posts in, was bordering on hitting +100 feedback, and had just celebrated my 3rd year of registered GG membership this past Summer. Was 3 good years; enjoyed it all. Truly R.I.P. GG.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2004, 10:59:16 PM »

There is no equal.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2004, 11:18:06 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Hippolito did the Ultima 4 thread.  I hope someone saved it, something like that should not be lost  :cry:

That was one of the 5 best threads of all time. And I'm reasonably sure Rich in KCK (sjsharks) has it archived. He's on my buddy list, and I'll ask him as soon as he gets back from being AFK.  If he's got it, he or I one will post it on  one of our websites.

If you haven't read it (many of you missed it because it was in PCGbT), do yourself a solid and read it. It's truly inspired comedic writing.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2004, 11:32:50 PM »

I think I'm going to weep I'm so happy.  I thought this thread had been lost forever.
Earsofsteel
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2004, 11:41:27 PM »

KS was good, But I loved Mr. Fed's "Drazzil cat is gay" playthingie.

Activated Cyborg!
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2004, 11:52:58 PM »

All of the above! Tons of great memories of crab legs, sopinas, and Vin Diesel yelling really loud. biggrin

Huge thanks for saving that Kate Botello thread, Merritt! I thought that was lost forever. Too bad some of the pictures are M.I.A.

One of the Extended Play banner pictures used to have Kate on the right and the guy host on the left. When she quit the show, they removed her from the banner and stuck him on the right so my post and quote ("she's the one on the right") makes no sense. But I love Simon's follow-up "She's the one in the middle."  :lol:

Ah, those were the good ol' salad days when I could waste an entire afternoon and evening with the GGF. That was pre-fatherhood for both of us, wasn't it Simon?
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2004, 12:14:29 AM »

I have so many great moments at GG as a lurker for years and they have all been said.
But what brought me in as a poster would have been the trading with people and Zaxxon’s UT2K4 thread/server. I had so much fun playing and BSing with them.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2004, 12:49:33 AM »

Oh, some of us have archives.

Serious Grenard:

Clownxon:

Simon and the dreaded...

The original Ass Banjo:
DPW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2004, 01:07:57 AM »

When it came back to life after dying Oct 5th. thumbsup

Maybe?

Past moments I'd have to go with any thread that had a weird story or whatever when it was still in its infancy. So when my girlfriend tried to tell me about something I'd be like "Saw it....a year ago" and she'd get all pissy.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2004, 01:37:44 AM »

Apparently Blackhawk is going straight to the fiery depths of hell, too.  slywink

At least he didn't post MAXXON.
Rich in KCK
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2004, 01:42:45 AM »

I have the Ultima 4 thread with hipolito's posts in it.  I'm in between web pages now so I don't have anywhere to host it.  Jeff will put it up on his site or I can email to anyone who wants it.

Formerly SJSharks
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2004, 01:44:52 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
That was pre-fatherhood for both of us, wasn't it Simon?

That was pre-a lot of things for me. Funny going back and reading words I wrote two and a half years ago. That's still one of my favourite days on Gone Gold though and I'm glad the thread is saved and can be enjoyed again and again (unlike Kate's face  biggrin ).

One of my favourite memories of GG... organizing and raising the $500 for Rich's Christmas gifts, community plaque, and donation to the 9/11 fund.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: