http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 01:55:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fast food menu items you miss  (Read 6240 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 02:44:52 PM »

Quote from: Roman on September 29, 2009, 01:10:26 PM

I miss the Burger King 'burger bundles'.

They came in 3s and were tiny little burgers in a box. They were fun - I used to order them all the time when I was younger.

They've recently added "Burger Shots" to the menu. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »

Yeah, and they're crap.  They don't separate the meat or the buns properly.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2009, 05:06:08 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 25, 2009, 07:00:04 PM

Whataburger's A-1 Thick & Hearty Burger (less the grilled onions).  A-1 has apparently signed up with BK on the Steakhouse burger, which has the sauce with crispy onions and mayo!   puke  Either/or would be fine, but both is just wrong.  So it's unlikely that I'll see my A-1 Whataburger ever again.

The Thick & Hearty Burger is back at Whataburger!  W00t!  Unfortunately, the sign tells me that it's leaving after December 21st ... FOREVER!   crybaby

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2009, 05:07:20 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 13, 2009, 05:06:08 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 25, 2009, 07:00:04 PM

Whataburger's A-1 Thick & Hearty Burger (less the grilled onions).  A-1 has apparently signed up with BK on the Steakhouse burger, which has the sauce with crispy onions and mayo!   puke  Either/or would be fine, but both is just wrong.  So it's unlikely that I'll see my A-1 Whataburger ever again.

The Thick & Hearty Burger is back at Whataburger!  W00t!  Unfortunately, the sign tells me that it's leaving after December 21st ... FOREVER!   crybaby

translation:  'we found a bunch of these stuffed in the back of one of our warehouses and they look like they're still good'  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

Hey! Just wanted to say to fellow McDLT fans -- Burger King has in a way dredged the idea back up as a way of delivering burgers without them getting soggy. Check out this Wash. Post impressions piece of a delivered Burger King order (they are test marketing the idea in a few areas):

Having it your way at home: Taste-testing Burger King delivery
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rosenwald-md/post/having-it-your-way-at-home-taste-testing-burger-king-delivery/2012/01/17/gIQA1Dpx5P_blog.html
I opened the burger container but only saw the lower half — the patty topped with pickles, onions and ketchup. The other half, with the bread top and lettuce and mayo, was hidden behind a trap door. The reason should be obvious to even amateur burger eaters: putting the whole sandwich together for even a five-minute drive would result in a soggy mess.

Nice move, Burger King.
Familiar, eh?  icon_smile

Now it's probably an ecological nightmare of black plastic that most places likely can't recycle. It's basically like a typical plastic burger container with a third panel folding in between that separates the bun/burger/various toppings from the bun-top/lettuce/mayo. So, different than the McDLT's famously long styrofoam container, but a somewhat similar concept.  icon_smile

If it interests you, you can check out here to see if your area is among the initial test markets:
https://www.bkdelivers.com/
*If you're worried about using your street address (junk mail etc.) there, maybe try a work address or just some local business in your area.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:51:47 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »

If you want to save time, initial test markets are just in Maryland and Virginia (DC Area, I believe).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 09:53:04 PM »

The Flamin’ Spicy Chicken strips from KFC. 

And a similar but less good item, the Chicken Kickers from Dominos.  The things they replaced them with are AWFUL.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »

How about a green milkshake?  icon_eek

McDonald's shamrock shake goes nationwide
http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/08/news/companies/mcdonalds_shamrock_shake/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

Playing
PC
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »

I miss Long Pig.   icon_cry

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »

Quote from: Woodhouse
When I served in the King’s African Rifles, the local Zambezi tribe referred to human flesh as “long pig.” Never much cared for it.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2012, 06:00:48 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on February 08, 2012, 06:30:31 PM

How about a green milkshake?  icon_eek

McDonald's shamrock shake goes nationwide
http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/08/news/companies/mcdonalds_shamrock_shake/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

Interesting. I always thought they were national. They always had Shamrock shakes when I was younger.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:10 AM »

I still miss the Kewpee Deluxe. Kewpee's was big in MI until Mr Fables took over most of their locations.

Dog n Suds made a helluva hot dog, too, but the real attraction was the roller-skating carhops.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 08:13:33 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 09, 2012, 06:50:10 AM

I still miss the Kewpee Deluxe. Kewpee's was big in MI until Mr Fables took over most of their locations.

wow, I just ate at one of their Lima locations about a week ago.  burger was decent but their chili sucked.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »

Dog n Suds made a helluva hot dog, too, but the real attraction was the roller-skating carhops.

Wow  Dog n Suds,  now thats a blast from the past.  Not sure if its just nostalgia but I recall that they had awesome Root Beer as well.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »

For a short time, Burger King had both sourdough burgers and some kind of taco-like thing, and I loved them both.  Then, they cruelly took them away, never to return again  crybaby

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 09, 2012, 08:13:33 AM

wow, I just ate at one of their Lima locations about a week ago.  burger was decent but their chili sucked.

I haven't had one since childhood, but it was my favorite burger way back when. Their sauce had green olives in it, IIRC. The wiki tells me that there was very little standardization from one Kewpees to the next, though, so it could have been a local thing.

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 09, 2012, 01:09:48 PM

Wow  Dog n Suds,  now thats a blast from the past.  Not sure if its just nostalgia but I recall that they had awesome Root Beer as well.

The A&W chain pretty much ate Dog n Suds's lunch, although there are still a few hanging on...including one in Lansing, MI. I must seek it out if I ever go back there. I remember it for its root beer floats and footlongs.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 25, 2009, 02:54:53 AM

Theres 2 items I miss dearly.

1. McDonald's McDLT. A hot/cold burger you finished yourself. The bottom bun and meat was hot on one side of the container and the veggies and top on the other cool. They say it was dumped because of it's special styro container. Now the hot/cool thing wasn't a big deal and I could care less about it's container. The burger though had a very unique taste that no other McD burger has ever matched. It was special. I dont see why they cant bring it back in their current packaging.

For some reason, we never looked up the McDLT ad videos....

McDLT 1985 TV ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL2c6NSVAvA
*I do remember a lot of "why wouldn't you put the cheese on the hot side?" harumphing. I dunno. It didn't bother me back then.  icon_smile

McDLT TV ad with a hilariously hairy, jumpy, dancing and singing (!) Jason Alexander ('George' in Seinfeld)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSdUOC8Kac
*Since the 1985 TV ad above was apparently the first one, in late 1985, this one's probably from early 1986.
===============

Saw some other priceless videos and ads there, like:

first Chicken McNuggets ad, featuring The McNuggets Song! (they were fried with beef tallow fat back then, which provided amazing flavor but pretty nasty fat, as I recall)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY1CCCydhSM&feature=related

1983 Chicken McNuggets ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7cZRZp-BfU&feature=related

McSpaghetti (tested, presumably didn't catch on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN4p-oo0DeU&feature=endscreen
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:37:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »

McD's had a burger that was made with seaweed (carageenan) to cut calories -- ah, google tells me it was the McLean Deluxe and that it was the chain's most dramatic failure. I didn't think it was that bad...although I wouldn't go so far as to say that I miss it, either.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »

I miss all of them ... and yet none of them. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 07:16:51 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 16, 2012, 09:21:03 PM

McD's had a burger that was made with seaweed (carageenan) to cut calories -- ah, google tells me it was the McLean Deluxe and that it was the chain's most dramatic failure. I didn't think it was that bad...although I wouldn't go so far as to say that I miss it, either.
Oh, gawd, yes, I remember that tasting like cardboard.   icon_smile Koreans use seaweed as tasty wrap as does most sushi. But clearly it doesn't belong in a burger.

Saw this CNN item talking about stuff in varous fast food products:
http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/8-creepy-mystery-ingredients-in-fast-food?hpt=hp_bn12
*What? McDonald's doesn't use pink slime in its burgers anymore? biggrin No wonder they don't taste the same anymore!  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »

Penny Arcade's "The Flashpoint" strip the other day:
http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/02/22
disappointed me because there really isn't a new Queso Monterey Cheesy Ranch Brick.  tear

However, they do have new Doritos Locos Tacos arriving March 8:
http://www.tacobell.com/doritoslocostacos
*Will it become a regular, or will it become a "fast food menu item you miss." Stay tuned.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »

It's only in France, but would you grow to miss the...

McBaguette?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204778604577241312286387028.html
For six weeks starting April 18, the 1,228 McDonald's restaurants across France will feature the McBaguette, with a burger topped with French-made Emmental cheese and mustard. It will replace the chain's current special offer here: three limited-edition burgers featuring locally produced cheeses.
McDonald's foray into baguette sandwiches could give it more pricing power. The McBaguette will be sold for €4.50, more than a euro above the average price of a sandwich in France and within the range of McDonald's premium burgers like the Big Tasty. McDonald's said it could introduce the baguette burger again if the initial six-week run is a success.
Sacribleu! It looks a little long to me. There's got to be more than one burger on it. Price seems to be about U.S. $5.96.

I'm envious. I can't even get Swiss cheese at a Subway.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:32:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2012, 12:57:00 AM »

Chili Cheese Burritos from Taco Hell.  Indigestion in a wrapper, but damn I loved those things.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2012, 05:11:20 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 02, 2012, 12:57:00 AM

Chili Cheese Burritos from Taco Hell.  Indigestion in a wrapper, but damn I loved those things.

I had one of those just a few weeks ago.  it wasn't on the menu but I asked for it and they had it.  for the record I hate their new menu setup, why the hell they can't just have an orderly list?

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 19, 2012, 08:44:36 PM

Hey! Just wanted to say to fellow McDLT fans -- Burger King has in a way dredged the idea back up as a way of delivering burgers without them getting soggy. Check out this Wash. Post impressions piece of a delivered Burger King order (they are test marketing the idea in a few areas):

Having it your way at home: Taste-testing Burger King delivery
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rosenwald-md/post/having-it-your-way-at-home-taste-testing-burger-king-delivery/2012/01/17/gIQA1Dpx5P_blog.html
I opened the burger container but only saw the lower half — the patty topped with pickles, onions and ketchup. The other half, with the bread top and lettuce and mayo, was hidden behind a trap door. The reason should be obvious to even amateur burger eaters: putting the whole sandwich together for even a five-minute drive would result in a soggy mess.

Nice move, Burger King.
Familiar, eh?  icon_smile

Now it's probably an ecological nightmare of black plastic that most places likely can't recycle. It's basically like a typical plastic burger container with a third panel folding in between that separates the bun/burger/various toppings from the bun-top/lettuce/mayo. So, different than the McDLT's famously long styrofoam container, but a somewhat similar concept.  icon_smile

If it interests you, you can check out here to see if your area is among the initial test markets:
https://www.bkdelivers.com/
*If you're worried about using your street address (junk mail etc.) there, maybe try a work address or just some local business in your area.
STOP THE PRESSES! They're introducing Burger King delivery to my area in Virginia.  drool Big flyer ad in the local paper about it.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 02, 2012, 03:28:23 PM

STOP THE PRESSES! They're introducing Burger King delivery to my area in Virginia.  drool Big flyer ad in the local paper about it.

that's just.... wrong.  on so many levels.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »

I sometimes consider drive-thrus to embody the epitome of laziness, but now people too lazy to even step out of their vehicle to stuff their maw with processed food can now have it delivered to their very home.  I wonder if we'll see an associated increase in the incidence rate of having to remove people through the walls of their homes. 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional round of fast food, especially when drunk or hung over, and fast food delivery would certainly be a safer alternative to intoxicated road trips to the local BK's, but ultimately I can't help but consider this yet another discouraging indicator of our society's ongoing health demise.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2012, 04:13:09 AM »

How is this substantially worse than pizza delivery, really?

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2012, 09:28:40 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 03, 2012, 04:13:09 AM

How is this substantially worse than pizza delivery, really?

Really? 

That's the basis of your reasoning to accept this newest fast food development?

Outside of eating an entire meatapalooza pizza solo, yes, this is worse than pizza delivery.  Odds are the people taking advantage of fast food delivery aren't opting for the granola or salad options.  Or ordering a pizza to share.

Sure, it's a stereotype, but our culture does little to dispute or discredit it.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2012, 10:09:08 PM »

I'm going to have to side with Isgrimnur on this one.  It's not substantially worse than pizza or Chinese or any other sort of generally "unhealthy" food delivery.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 03, 2012, 10:09:08 PM

I'm going to have to side with Isgrimnur on this one.  It's not substantially worse than pizza or Chinese or any other sort of generally "unhealthy" food delivery.

"Substantially" is an arbitrary term.  Pizza is a healthier alternative to Burger King, within reason of course.  But you can make anything unhealthy if desired.  Regardless, the point isn't comparing existing delivery options, but addressing the addition of yet another unnecessary and unhealthy option for the already lazy and likely obese.  We move yet another step along the already embarrassing downward spiral of American gluttony combined with instant gratification.

It's a poor direction for a society already losing the battle against obesity.

Still, this is an unnecessary digression away from lamenting the loss of past favorites once featured on fast food menus.  

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2012, 10:50:10 PM »

I do find it interesting that you're vilifying society for poor ideas when it comes to food when you aren't exactly perfect when it comes to healthy food/drink choices, but as you said, we're digressing from the topic at hand.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 03, 2012, 10:50:10 PM

I do find it interesting that you're vilifying society for poor ideas when it comes to food when you aren't exactly perfect when it comes to healthy food/drink choices, but as you said, we're digressing from the topic at hand.

Roll Eyes

Inherent dietary perfection is not indicative or even necessary to achieve a healthy lifestyle.  Nor is perfection a measurement of one's knowledge or success in the area.  While you may find my lifestyle "interesting", I find your misinformation merely amusing.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »

I find the interesting thing is many places considered "better for you" are generally NOT, from nutritional standpoint. I love Panera, but a lot of folks will buy like a full size steak panini or italian sandwich or something, and then the nutritional values (sodium especially) just go entirely out of orbit. I finally got into the habit of getting a half sandwich with a salad of some sort.

A few years ago I saw this obviously unhealthily overweight teenaged guy order two footlong meatball subs for himself. I won't even guess at the nutritional value there.

Most burrito places (Chipotle, Qdoba, Moe's etc.), if you actually eat an entire full size burrito, it's insane. It's sometimes 2,000 calories, and enough sodium for two days, etc. But I see people stuff their faces with that all the time, assuming cause it's not a fried burger, that it's "good" for them. It's really not that simple.

There's stuff I loved at McDonald's that I just won't eat anymore (the 1/3 lb. Angus burgers for example) cause the sodium, cholesterol, saturated fat is out of control. Which isn't to say a Big Mac or Filet O' Fish is health food cuisine, but I think it's fine as a once a week treat.

As for BK Delivery, I just think it's fun, and I had earlier mentioned here that Wash. Post blogger's try of it. And the packaging really is about as close as I've seen to the McDLT that we've been nostalgic here for (not that anyone suggests bringing back gloriously unrecyclable styrofoam packaging icon_razz)

As for BK nutrition, best bet is probably getting something kinda smaller (Whopper Jr.) and skip the sauces, mayo etc:
http://www.bk.com/en/us/menu-nutrition/index.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:19:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 04, 2012, 03:16:34 PM

Most burrito places (Chipotle, Qdoba, Moe's etc.), if you actually eat an entire full size burrito, it's insane. It's sometimes 2,000 calories, and enough sodium for two days, etc. But I see people stuff their faces with that all the time, assuming cause it's not a fried burger, that it's "good" for them. It's really not that simple.

Do you even research some of the stuff you talk about when it comes to food?  A full size Chipotle et al. burrito is nowhere near 2000 calories.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 03, 2012, 11:03:41 PM

Roll Eyes

Inherent dietary perfection is not indicative or even necessary to achieve a healthy lifestyle.  Nor is perfection a measurement of one's knowledge or success in the area.  While you may find my lifestyle "interesting", I find your misinformation merely amusing.

Meh.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 04, 2012, 07:58:30 PM

Roll Eyes

Meh.

icon_lol

No benefit to be had from refuting misconceptions you feel obliged to cling to.  As long as it helps you sleep more soundly, as rest is an important element in overall quality of health, and ignorance is said to be bliss.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 04, 2012, 08:31:35 PM

Roll Eyes

Meh.

icon_lol

No benefit to be had from refuting misconceptions you feel obliged to cling to.  As long as it helps you sleep more soundly, as rest is an important element in overall quality of health, and ignorance is said to be bliss.

Thanks for the confirmation of a long held suspicion.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 04, 2012, 09:42:12 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on March 04, 2012, 08:31:35 PM

Roll Eyes

Meh.

icon_lol

Thanks for the confirmation of a long held suspicion.

You must lead quite the blissful life.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »

Pork donuts at Dunkin D's?
Pork donuts may not sound good to you, but in China, Dunkin Donuts is hoping they'll be a hit.

"Doughnuts are a very flexible product," Dunkin's CEO Nigel Travis told Reuters. "You can do savory doughnuts, you can do shredded pork ... we also have a range of other savory products that we have been testing and introducing country by country."

Plus, anyone who has ever feasted on a pork bun or, heck, uses cream cheese for both breakfast and dessert knows the line between sweet and savory is only as limited as your imagination.

To really drive the new snacks home, Dunkin has recruited a formidable spokesperson: Miami Heat star Lebron James. You may laugh, but James reportedly has a huge following in China.
Mmmmmmmm.... I think I just vomited in my mouth.  drool icon_razz

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: