http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 05:49:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars...SPOILERS!  (Read 3758 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2004, 03:25:08 AM »

One word can sum up the first half of the miniseries....WOW!!!...maybe 3 WOW WOW WOW.

I did'nt realize just how much I missed Farscape. Now i really really miss the series. Damn that was good! Cant wait till tomorrow night. Ill be sad after its over tomorrow. I miss those characters and that beautiful Claudia Black.

SPOILER>......
Wow so the Peacekeeper Sebations are actually Humans taken from Earth over 12,000 years ago and genetically enhanced to be peacekeepers for that race. WOW. They changed over time to what they are today because thier masters were gone. Sweet.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 03:37:55 AM »

I can saw WOW - about your post.  biggrin Just because it's way different than my take.

In general, I thought the first half tonight was good, but not great. It lacked energy. There was something just a little blah about it. Can't put my finger on what. The effects were up to snuff, the cast was in character... dunno. I think the scene that showed it best was when D'argo's son rescued D'argo and Chianna from a grisly death and everybody was like "oh yeah, hi."

On the other hand, the show was in my mind WAY better than most of the final season, which is good. I found the final season disjointed, purposeless and not nearly as interesting as the ones that came before.

So I did enjoy the first half, but it didn't have me overly pumped. I'm hoping for more from the second half.

As for the peacekeeper thing, I saw that coming a mile away. I might have missed some dialogue, though, because the part about them being from Earth and such is not what I heard at all. Rather, that the PeaceKeepers were the enforcement arm of what the counselor-guys would mediate. I didn't ever get the sense that they were actually human or that they had been specially bred/trained for the duty - just that they were a race (sebatian) that nobody had a beef with.

Sith

Formerly Sith Lord
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 04:57:41 AM »

I just infered Earth from what he said. A planet far removed from everyone else on the outter spiral edge of the galaxy. They were clothed in animal skins and they took some of them and genetically advanced thier evolution and stuff.

D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 05:22:11 AM »

And you infered right D.

I think the dialogue and Claudia Blacks reactions pretty much said it all. That and the fact the head reptile guy made an earlier comment that clearly was foreshadowing (about Human and Serbations cross mating)
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 06:26:33 AM »

Was it me or did Pilot's voice sound different?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 06:36:21 AM »

http://www.imagecreative.net/

Check out that site there for some very cool pics of the prosthetic makeup from farscape. Page 2 has a cool pic of a giant Scarran with Scorpius on a chain leash. I made Scorpy my background.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 08:47:55 AM »

I thought the first part started out a little slow, but picked up as it went on.   I hadn't seen it in awhile so didn't even recognize Sikozu with her punk rock look.  It was just so good to have Farscape back on television, I realize how much I miss it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 11:57:04 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I just infered Earth from what he said. A planet far removed from everyone else on the outter spiral edge of the galaxy. They were clothed in animal skins and they took some of them and genetically advanced thier evolution and stuff.
Interesting. I totally missed that.

Sith

Formerly Sith Lord
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 12:49:21 PM »

Quote from: "Ranulf"
Was it me or did Pilot's voice sound different?

Yes, it was...off, for some reason. Who knows - maybe they couldn't get the same voice actor back for some reason or another.

While the show was outstanding (as pretty much always), one thing that always bugged me was the characters' ability to live in outer space in the sub-zero vaccuum that it is. I realize that there's some basis of fact buried in there somewhere, but it has always irked me.

And Earth is once again somehow involved in the grand scheme of things in this part of the galaxy (the whole Peacekeeper thing). Interesting...

So, how is this story going to turn out? I can't wait until tonight.

All I want to know is this - where can I buy the DVD of this? smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 01:26:02 PM »

I thought it was enjoyable from the viewpoint of someone who only caught a handful of episodes in the original run (no cable at the time) but has tried to catch up somewhat during Sci Fi's marathon run in the last few weeks.  

The lighting and makeup seemed a bit off from the original series and not as detailed.  Kind of picky but one of things that facinates me about the series is watching the Henson crew integrate the puppets and live actors together through some pretty low tech tricks  The other effects were pretty nice though.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 01:46:13 PM »

According to IMDB.com the voice of Pilot in TPW is still Lanu Tupu as in the original series. BTW he was also Bialar Crais, the first bad guy, in the series also.

Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 03:01:00 PM »

Yeah, it still sounded enough like the voice Lani Tupu used in the original show but it was off a bit.
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 03:25:41 PM »

I missed the series recap, grrrr. :x After watching this last night, I am again struck with how good the series was and wonder what Sci-Fi thinking when they dropped this for Stargate. :shock: Not that I dislike Stargate, but you think that one channel would have room for two hit shows.

I thought that the show last night was good.  After reading that they had destroyed the sets I thought there was no chance of a return.  I think a read somewhere that they might even do a theatrical movie now.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 03:52:10 PM »

Sure puts anything George Lucas does to shame.

mdsmith
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 04:13:02 PM »

My first reaction was to realize how much I missed the show. Hopefully, if they get good ratings they can do more miniseries or something. Talk about feeling like a dummy, I completley missed the Peacekeepers being from Earth. I just figured if a Vulcan and a human could procreate so could a Human and a Sabatan. I noticed the floating in space without a spacesuit and not dying and just wrote it off to, its showbiz.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 04:14:31 PM »

The thing about the floating in space part I noticed the most was the gentle breeze they were getting  Tongue

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 04:37:27 PM »

And I hope to hell Jewel is'nt dead. We only got to see her for maybe 2 minutes all together. Poor Tammy spent more time in the makeup chair than on screen in that first half. Hope she comes back in part 2.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 12:44:24 AM »

Im watching it for the 4th time right now before part 2 comes on and i get a good chuckle everytime the Emporer Scarren tells Rygil he will die but only on his order and poor old Rygil says "ok" hehehehe..

Anyone think Dargo's son Jothee looks a lot like Gowron from Star Trek?

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 12:47:14 AM »

This is your universe... this is your universe on wormhole!  Hehe.  Man, I missed most of the mini-series so far... I'm gonna have to catch it all, or get it on dvd when it comes out.
Daveman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 02:13:23 AM »

The Peacekeepers having a more noble, actually friendly peace-keeping attitude was mentioned in a previous episode(s?).  Early in the 3rd season when they go a historical site of a famous PK battle and wind up going back in time to said battle... the PKers were portrayed as a very honorable force in that episode.  I think Aeryn commented on how things went downhill from there at some point.

But the revelation (confirmation?) about the human-peacekeeper link was a nice touch... but also hinted at before early in the 4th season (I'm terrible with FS episode titles... was it "What once was lost?") when Crichton finds an artifact with Sebacean and human writings on it on the Eidolon homeworld.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 02:59:46 AM »

WHY!? Why Dargo!??? Why did Dargo have to die??? ARGH!

Great damn part 2 but dargo's death left me feeling empty and sad. WTH...why kill him off??

And the redhead the spy?..Wierd. ...But Dargo!? Damnit.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 03:11:21 AM »

and that, my friends, is how sci-fi is meant to be done...absolutely brilliant Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 03:35:48 AM »

Check this out. http://www.signalroom.net/ its a band called Signal Room. Its fronted by Anthony Simcoe who plays Dargo and on drums is Scorpius himself Wayne Pygram. Cool

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2004, 03:46:01 AM »

Hmmm Ive been thinking about Dargo's death and 2 points stick out.

1. We never really saw the death.

2. I remember in part 1 how that guy that travels with the alien doctors said something about death and stuff.

The planet did get sucked into a wormhole....who knows. I can only hope its not the end of Farscape or Dargo.

Ramoz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2004, 03:48:39 AM »

It would be nice if we could get another farscape series.  I doubt it'll happen though.

Miniseries just aren't the same as waiting each week to see a new episode.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2004, 04:26:56 AM »

Okay, the whole assumption that the story of the peacekeeper's origin indicated they were from earth is, in my humble opinion, wrong.  being a complete geek, i remembered that it was pointed out quite some time ago that peacekeeper's were evolved from something other than apes (i think it was birds or something) and that explained some racial vulnerabilities (heat, if I recall correctly).  I find it highly unlikely that the Eidalons would bother changing the genetic makeup to include birds in the peacekeeper's ancestral tree.

...god, i need to get a life.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 05:37:45 AM »

I liked how Scorpy smiled during  the peace signing . That was great.  Cool

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 06:06:05 AM »

Sure puts anything George Lucas does to shame.

George Lucas could only hope in his wildest dreams to make anything even remotely close to the pure brillance of this show.

Notice the little thing near the end when Crichton asks Aeryn if its all worth it, and what peace is worth. Right when Crichton walks off to his Wormhole of Mass Destruction, you can see a moment's realization on Aeryn's face. She knows what will happen to Crichton when he uses his machine.

It's the little things like that that just make this show seem so real, so amazing.

Damn you Sci-Fi.

Edit: As far as Dargo goes...well, let's put it this way - Superhero/villian rule number one: If you don't actually see the person die onscreen, then one can assume that they truly aren't dead. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jason Donati
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 10:23:41 AM »

Hmmm Ive been thinking about Dargo's death and 2 points stick out.

1. We never really saw the death.

Yup, which is always suspect in TV Land. I was also curious about the last few words he spoke to Chiana. "I'll find you", or something along those lines. I thought it odd the writers would have him say that if they truly intended for him to die.

We never saw him die, so I prefer to believe D'argo lived and somehow his way off the planet in enough time. (Just like I prefer to believe Zhaan somehow survived being dissembled by a wormhole.  Cool)

[size=10]Currently Playing: [/size]Soul Calibur II | Ninja Gaiden | Starcraft: Broodwar
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 11:56:32 AM »

As far as D'argos's death is concerned... if we can buy that they reassembled Chriton and Aeryn from gibs in Rygel's stomach, then we can buy that D'argo's still alive. Best suicidal last stand line ever?

I'm your daddy!

Formerly Sith Lord
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2004, 12:46:59 PM »

Quote from: "Jason Donati"
We never saw him die, so I prefer to believe D'argo lived and somehow his way off the planet in enough time. (Just like I prefer to believe Zhaan somehow survived being dissembled by a wormhole.  Cool)

Zhaan ruled. She was the common, logical sense that the team so needed most of the time.

Without her though, things became a bit more...interesting. smile

Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2004, 04:35:48 PM »

Sweet 2001 Space Odessy reference.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2004, 11:12:16 PM »

Makes it kinda hard though to believe he is still alive considering everything but 3 ships got sucked into the black hole........

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 11:30:52 PM »

a full size planet and every other ship big and small got sucked in. only the 3 ships with the important characters to the plot avoided certain death. amazing how that happened. slywink
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2004, 12:40:21 AM »

It does make me miss the series as well.  frown   I don't think they will bring him back though.  They were killing people off right and left.  There are surely plot mechanisms they could use to bring them back but I think they are focused on a big screne movie next.  I would prefer to have a couple more years of series.  They would need a new plot to drive the show, since they wrapped up most of the motivations from the series with this miniseries.

It does indeed kick the crap out of Lucas so far.  I will withhold judgement until next summer, though.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: