http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 07:09:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantasy Football Question  (Read 766 times)
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2004, 06:48:32 AM »

Here's my dilema:

I need to start 2 out of the following 3 RBs: Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, and Brian Westbrook.

So far this season I've gone with Barber and Alexander every week and I've been very happy with the results. But the team I'm playing this week has Donovan McNabb at QB, so I figure to offset a big day of McNabb throwing TDs, I could hedge my bets and start Westbrook since he catches a lot of balls from McNabb (nice 34 yd catch last week).

I also really like playing guys who play on MNF (Alexander this week vs Dallas), that would mean I have to sit Barber who is going against Washington.

I need this win to secure a first round bye in the playoffs. Should I stick with what got me there, or should I play the matchup game?

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 12:16:45 PM »

Only play the matchup game if it will get you more points. I mean Westbrook catching stuff from McNabb doesn't offset a thing if Barber gets more points for you vs Washington. Keep it to basics. If you like the matchup Westbrook has over Barber, then take him but don't do it because McNabb is the one throwing to Westbrook.

Who do you think will score more points?
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 12:48:35 PM »

I've lost more games by overthinking these things...

I agree though -- don't worry about who is throwing to Westbrook; worry about if he'll be getting the catches.  Always play your best players.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:04:11 PM »

I don't think Westbrook off-sets McNabb's TDs so much since only 3 of McNabb's passing 23 TD's have gone to Westbrook.

Speaking of match-ups, however, Washington has a pretty good run defense. Combine that with the fact that Barber hasn't scored a TD since Eli took over, and I would probably lean to starting Westbrook anyway.

It really depends on your league's scoring system, though. Do you get points for receptions? Or do you get bonuses for going over 100 yards rushing? For the last few games, Westbrook has gotten more receptions than Barber but not as many rushing yards.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 02:50:39 PM »

Shaun Alexander is a must.  Although last week he was nothing special, he has a knack for the end zone.

Otherwise I would say the match-ups and the streaks over the past three game sclearly show you should play Westbrooke.  First, he is playing the Packers who have trouble with the run.  Second, he has had something like 4-5 TDs in thepast 3 weeks.  Barber hasn't scored in 2 weeks though he has broken 100 yards in each of these games.  But, he is going up against the Redskins D which is pretty solid.  I say play Westbrooke.
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 01:52:50 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I guess I was just looking for some confirmation for my gut instinct (to bench Tiki and start Westbrook).

Hopefully I won't get burned like last week when my starting RBs (Tiki and Alexander) got 14 pts combined while my benched RBs (Westbrook and Rudi Johnson) got 57 points.

Looking forward to the ff playoffs starting next week!

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 03:27:46 PM »

Me looking forward to playoffs to.  Right now I am sitting in first place with a crap team...(shh):

Chad Pennington
Carson Palmer

Donald Driver
Jimmy SMith
Brandon Stokley
Santana Moss

Shaun Alexander
Duece McCallister
Thomas Jones

LJ Smith

Matt Stover

Patriots
Atlanta

And I am 9-3 I think....

You should be fine with Westbrooke..No worries.
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 02:46:04 AM »

Wow, Westbrook was amazing!!! He put up huge numbers. I'm so glad I started him over Tiki.

Bu tthe bad news is I'm sunk this week. My opponent had McNabb, Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison. I'm down about 45 points with only Shaun Alexander left. Oh well, at least I got beat with my best guys starting. I would have had a shot to win this week if it weren't for my QB (Bulger) going down early without scoring any points. Hope he's back for the playoffs next week!

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 03:03:36 AM »

Hahah.... I came on just to leave you a message.  Ata boy Westbrooke, freakin ran shop today.  Sucks about your opponent though, but it must feel nice to have played everything right. GL with Alexander, I got him too...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: