http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 03:16:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantastic 4 Movie  (Read 2411 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2005, 12:40:42 PM »

Press Screening?  Check.
Impressions after the movie? Check.

Last night I got to go see a press screening of The Fantastic 4.  I have to admit, despite the early trailers making us shy away from the flick, my wife and I really enjoyed it!  Now, I'll admit that I'm not a hardcore comic purist, but I think it really captured the characters well.  The special effects were expertly done and only in a few instances did they look unreasonable given the subject matter.  (I mean, come on...we ARE talking about a guy who can catch fire and another made out of rock)  

I'll gladly take your questions. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Skeld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 01:27:39 PM »

Wait a second, are you telling me that the movie featuring the following lines:

"Let's not fight."
"No, lets."

is actually enjoyable?  :shock:

How does it compare to say, X-2 or Batman Begins? Good characters? Dialogues? Actions? Or is it one of those super hero summer flicks that requires me to shut down my brain?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 01:39:13 PM »

Oh lets not pretend this is a cerebral movie.  Pick up popcorn, stuff in skull-hole, watch movie, enjoy.

Really the only hammy line in the movie was that one I thought.  There are some laugh out loud parts but it doesn't feel forced.   Some of the humor is pretty subtle. smile

As far as comparing to Batman, no...not that good.  Comparing to X-Men or X-Men 2?  Better focus than those two movies, you get to know the characters a bit better.  

The action is, of course, very heavy on the effects.  The effects are very good though, so the action is very good. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 01:44:32 PM »

If
What happens to a toad . . .
doesn't ruin a comic book movie, I can't see complaining about that little exchange.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 01:47:50 PM »

Well that'd be because Hally Berry has a front row seat on the rocket...

Let me explain:

You see, I'm making a list of celebrities that should be shot directly into the Sun for the good of all mankind, but we'll cover that in another topic.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 02:43:53 PM »

Trying to explain to me that this movie is enjoyable, after I saw the trailer, would be like trying to explain how gravity pulls up.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 02:45:06 PM »

Quote from: "Skeld"

"Let's not fight."
"No, lets."

How does it compare to say, X-2 or Batman Begins?

"When you become more than a man, you become something else"

yah batman begins was brilliant with the dialogue.

Not quite "I'm so beautiful because I'm so in love" but on the same side of the tracks.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Skeld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 03:14:27 PM »

Not quite "I'm so beautiful because I'm so in love" but on the same side of the tracks.

Yea but I can stomach that line because Liam Neeson was speaking it since he makes it believable. Nothing against Natalie Portman and Jessica Alba's hottness, but their acting ability is... questionable.

But usually I am too distracted to pay attention on what they were saying anyway  :oops:
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 03:53:50 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Quote from: "Skeld"

"Let's not fight."
"No, lets."

How does it compare to say, X-2 or Batman Begins?

Oh Batman Begins had its fair share of comic book dialogue, make no mistake. Witness: "Until the people of Gotham learn their city doesn't belong to the wicked and the corrupt." That being said, it's still the best movie I've seen this year, hands-down. As for FF, I'll see it this week but I've no faith in it. Mainly because I always thought the FF were amongst the dumbest superheroes ever created. Forget them being Marvel's greatest creation, Spider-Man bears that distinction IMO, The Fantastic Four are ass. Combine that with FOX meeting a release date and tossing out a script that by all accounts was perfect and you have a recipe for disaster. That any of it worked at all is amazing.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 12:18:33 AM »

When people were complaining about the trailers, I couldnt figure out what the beef was about.  It looked cool to me.

The only thing I dislike is the costume for Ben Grim.  They should have went CGI; he looks like crap.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 04:24:47 PM »

Quote from: "El Guapo"
Trying to explain to me that this movie is enjoyable, after I saw the trailer, would be like trying to explain how gravity pulls up.

I am in the same boat, but I will see just about any movie.  There is something bizarre about this one.  The trailers and marketing WERE horrible.  But I have a feeling that that only makes people expect doom and gloom therefore setting them up for people at least saying, "Well, it was better than I thought."  Which goes directly positive.

I dunno, might be a sleeper though it pains me to even say that!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 04:34:20 PM »

They should have went CGI

Two words...

JarJar Binks

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 05:55:55 PM »

Just got back from seeing it. Caught the first showing at 10:50am.

I'll be honest, I went in thinking this movie was going to totally suck. From the start of the project, I thought it was a hopeless wreak. Another miscast, badly written and poorly directed marvel movie. (FYI I like the recent movies like Xmen 2, Spiderman 1 & 2, Hulk, Daredevil and so on but the over all hiustory hasn't been kind to marvel) The trailers didn't give me much hope either. Also I'm not a big fan of the Fantastic Four. I really liked them back in the 70s and early 80s but the characters in the comics from that point on never really thrilled me. (That said, I just love Marvel Knights FF currently being produced.)

Just to tell you how bad I though it was going to be, I even had a rough outline typed up of the points I figured I was going to hate based on the trailers and early plot leaks.

How wrong I was. I was wrong and all the negative reviews were wrong wrong wrong and more wrong.

Fantastic Four is a (dare I say it? Yes I shall) fantastic super hero movie and is a good translation of the characters. I'm stunned.

It wasn't me either. People audience were laughing and cheering (at the right places) through out the film. I'm really not sure what the reviewers are picking up on but the film is entertaining. I'm not going to spoil the film but I had a big old grin on my face virtually the whole time.

Another thing, the movie IS bright and and vibrant. It isn't a dark modern retelling. Yeah there are times you feel that you aren't seeing the real world but you know what? Its a nice change of pace and I didn't go in expecting that. Figuring I would see something on par with Nu Marvel reimagings.

I could see where people would have nits about the actions and the look of certain characters but the comics themselves have violated the characters far worse. Who knows if the writers didn't just happen to pick up one of those books instead of those who are long time reads view as canon. This nits don't effect the capturing of the characters in film nor effect the quality of the picture.

The story worked for me. Yes its an origin story but it didn't feel rushed, out of place, or uninteresting.

The Thing did not hit me as a guy in a rubber suit. Whatever they did from the trailers to the final product, they did it well. In fact all the special effects worked very well on screen.

Lastly, this IS a movie you can take your kids too. There is only one scene where it might be viewed as rough but I've seen worse in Bugs Bunny cartoons and it wasn't that realistic.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 06:09:33 PM »

Yay.  Glad I wasn't the only one who enjoyed the movie.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Haavok1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 10:19:14 PM »

Yea just came back from seeing Fantastic 4 and War of the Worlds.  Enjoyed F4 way more than WOW.  It is a fun movie, thats what I want out of a comic book movie.  As long as they can make me say that is cool I wish I had that power than I am ok with it.  Tho I hated WOW.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 10:42:35 PM »

Gravity doesn't pull up or down. That's just your perspective. Gravity is a force that is created mass displacement. Lets say the planet is a set of giant underpants, and your house was just south of the "pocket region" (guys, you know which pocket I'm talking about.. the one to hold your keys, or the baked potato you were saving till later slywink ). From the planet-size-plus wearer of said gitch, gravity was pulling you UP into them.

Now go watch FF. slywink

BTW. The property value of your house sucks, partly cuz it's in a swamp, but mostly cuz it's right near the "skidmarked landing strips". :: shudder ::

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 11:28:02 PM »

A few positive takes. Interesting. I still think the trailers have done a poor job of selling the movie, and I've read many a review that states that the trailers show off the best parts of an otherwise dismal movie.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 12:46:17 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Two words...

JarJar Binks

One word:  Gollum

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 12:49:04 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"

Two words...

JarJar Binks

One word:  Gollum

One more word: pwned. biggrin

Going to see it shortly with Fireball. Impressions tomorrow.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 03:38:41 AM »

decided to update the list
To be fair I've only seen FF once and I'm pretty high on it so placing it on the list so early is probably not fair but I figure is an interesting point of reference at the time.

1. X2
2. Daredevil
3. Spiderman II
4. Batman Forever
5. Fantastic Four 2005
6. Spiderman
7. X-men
8. Superman
9. Mystery Men
10. The Rocketeer
11. Unbreakable
12. Hellboy
13. Batman Begins
14. The Hulk
15. Batman: The Movie (1966)
16. Meteor Man
17. The Phantom
18. Superman II
19. The Tick (live action TV movie pilot)
20. Superman III
21. Batman 1989
22. Darkman
23. The Flash (TV movie pilot)
24. The Shadow
25. Superman the musical
26. Fantastic Four 1993 (Unreleased)
27. Specials
28. Superman IV
29. Spawn
30. Batman & Robin
31. Supergirl
32. Flash Gordon
33. Elektra
34. Justice League TV Unaired Pilot
35. Greatest American Hero (TV movie pilot)
36. Nick Fury
37. The Return of Captain Invinciable
38. Captain America
39. Darkman II
40. Batgirl 1967 Unair TV pilot
41. Batman Returns
42. CatWoman
43. The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren)
44. The Punisher (Thomas Jane)
45. Birds of Prey (TV movie pilot)
46. Greatest American Heroine (TV movie pilot)
47. Darkman III
48. Steel
49. Legends of the Superheroes: The Challenge (TV Movie)
50. Legends of the Superheroes: The Roast (TV Movie)

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2005, 04:26:50 AM »

That Batman & Robin is ahead of Darkman III: Die Darkman Die automatically negates it as being serious. smile

Alright, FF was not the Fantastic Flop critics are saying it is, nor is it a terrifically awesome movie. It's simply a rehash of Spider-Man, complete with stupid corporate intrigue as "evil villain motivation 101". I thought Julian McMahon was a talented actor on nip/tuck, which is ferocious television, but here he plays the same character. His nip/tuck character now wears the Dr. Doom mask, and that's where the differences begin and end.

As for the rest of the cast, they should have cast about 5-10 years old for Sue Storm and Reed Richards. As it stands, I think Alba did a decent job but did I once take her seriously as a scientist? No, not even when she wore glasses and had a clipboard. slywink The guy playing Reed did a solid job, but I always thought of the character as older. Not a deal breaker by any means, but that's what I thought.

Having said that, Chris Evans as Torch and Michael Chiklis as Thing are the reasons to go see this movie now. They are both spot-on perfect in their roles, and I'm happy to see Chiklis taking off from The Shield. Evans simply rules, and the way they prank each other throughout had me roaring. The shaving cream = Hi-larious. biggrin

Overall, I'd give it a C+ but I'm anxious to see a sequel. Now that they've setup the "origins" in a fairly bland way, they're free to go off in any direction they want to. If they can really up the ante on the effects and the story, then this series might have some pretty strong legs to it, which is not something I thought of when I first saw the trailers.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2005, 03:04:15 PM »

Well in the last few weeks I've seen of of the best superhero movies ever released followed by one of the lamest. Its wasn't Catwomen/Elecktra bad but man what a disappointment...
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2005, 04:14:42 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Gravity doesn't pull up or down. That's just your perspective. Gravity is a force that is created mass displacement. Lets say the planet is a set of giant underpants, and your house was just south of the "pocket region" (guys, you know which pocket I'm talking about.. the one to hold your keys, or the baked potato you were saving till later slywink ). From the planet-size-plus wearer of said gitch, gravity was pulling you UP into them.

Now go watch FF. slywink

BTW. The property value of your house sucks, partly cuz it's in a swamp, but mostly cuz it's right near the "skidmarked landing strips". :: shudder ::

Yes, it's from my perspective.  My CORRECT perspective.  I drop my keys, they fall down.  That's enough for me, science-boy.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2005, 06:33:12 PM »

There's so many things wrong with Rob's list that I can't take his F4 impressions seriously.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2005, 06:58:27 PM »

Whiteboy, some friends of mine and I went to see this last night. I was expecting dreck, but this wasn't really so bad. We talked about it afterwards, and both Mitch and I noted the recycled Spider-Man plot.

Some things I noticed (may be some minor spoilers):

1) The villain, like in the Spider-Movies, seemed superfluous. Really, he didn't do anything. I'm getting a bit tired of superhero movies where the heroes don't even know the villain exists until 80 minutes into a 90-minute film. It's good to make the focus on the heroes and their struggle with their identity (though, how many times can we see that story?), but at least make the villain IMPORTANT to the action, OR make the third act where we fight the villain much longer.

2) Chris Evans is hot. Flame-on.

3) The gray in Reed's temples was wildly inconsistent from shot to shot.

4) Sue wore a lot of makeup for a trip to space. And nice gravity on that station. Sheesh.

5) I totally didn't buy Ben's motivations for his actions in the Third Act. The character wasn't brought to the point where he would do those things.

6) Chris Evans. Really.

7) Thing and Torch were great, perfect interplay.

Cool How does a blind person get their makeup so perfect?

9) Look, another Marvel movie villain with a Power Rangers mask.

10) There is no item ten.

All in all, it was B-grade fare. Much better than I was expecting, but not at all innovative. Frankly, I would have made the characters all younger. The Ultimates line deals with an 18 year old Reed and Sue and Ben and a 16 year old Johnny. Maybe age them a bit more than that. The guy playing Reed looked ten years older than the rest of them. It was disconcerting.

And it seems that they took out the stupid "You know that looked cool!" line from the first trailer. Good move.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2005, 07:47:05 PM »

10) There is no item ten.

I'm reminded of an exploit in the original Wizardry....if you tried to identify the 9th item (there were only 8 item slots) about 200 times and you were playing a priest (iirc) it would give you like a billion exp points which you could then sleep in the cheap and free in for eons after switching to the character classes you wanted and then end up as level 99 before you left the first town.

I'm such a dork right now...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2005, 11:19:11 PM »

I'm such a dork right now...

I don't know that you need the "Right now" qualifier, buddy.  :twisted: That was tres geek.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2005, 11:26:39 AM »

When you become more than a man, you become something else

That line, as is, doesn't even appear anywhere in Batman Begins. That's just a sound-byte from the trailer.

The actual quote goes:

A vigilante is just a man lost in his the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed, or, locked up. But, if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely.

Which isn't half as cheesy.

EDIT: Damn tags.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 04:41:05 AM »

just got back from watching it, it was actually pretty good.  Didn't think it would be.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 09:51:53 AM »

Saw this movie last night and thought it was simply OK.  I didnt hate it, I didnt love it.  The CGI at times was laughable and I have one little problem... Minor spoiler

If you can create a recreation of a space storm on earth, what was the point of going into space in the first place?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: