http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:49:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Falling Skies onwards to Season 4!  (Read 6035 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »

Good lord, if the mexican teenage nun gets any hotter, I'm going to have to point my air conditioner at the tv....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2011, 03:34:55 AM »

Interesting news.  It appears that after 3 episodes Falling Skies has proven itself.  It is the highest rated show on TNT and has been rewarded with a 2nd season.  http://blastr.com/2011/07/theres-more-falling-skies.php

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2011, 06:56:41 AM »

Wow, kinda surprised they re-upped this fast. The subject matter is a home run. I'm guarenteed to at least give it a shot. Heck, I watched most of V last season (why? WHY???).
My opinions mirror that of many others in this thread. It's a really really weak show that has to be driven by strong characters. I'm not certain any of the characters are all that interesting. Sure, there's a couple, but I'm not so certain the subject matter is strong enough. The alien presence should be horrifying. It should feel much more tense than it does. I just don't feel it at all.

The only ones creating tension is the humans. The aliens are not even much of a character in the show, at least to me. Maybe they are trying to develop the human characters first? I don't know. The aliens seem hapless now that they've mauled what they didn't show already. That's a huge problem for me. It's only 2 eps in and I'm eager to see if it picks up, as I've heard suggested. As it stands now, it's pretty crap, to me. It's not fair to dorks like me to make an alien invasion show and focus entirely on humans! IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT! Maybe it just ain't for me... I still have almost nothing to watch during the week, so I'll give it til ep 6, and then re-sort it out. I hope it does improve. The first hour was really weak and ineffective, to me.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »

I agree that these aliens really do suck. They seem really dumb, but there's no way they are because they are advanced enough to travel light years and then take over our entire planet fairly easily. But at the same time they can't find and kill a group of 300 hundred humans traveling in broad daylight and standing around on roofs just miles from the alien base. Give me a break.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2011, 04:19:40 AM »

I love how the aliens show up whenever they need a boogeyman to yell "BOO!" and then everyone gets away from them.

This show is just begging for the MST3K treatment.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »

After watching last night's episode I'm close to giving up on this one. Despite the fact that the show is about a group  of humans trying to survive there really is no sense of danger or urgency presented by the show. It's like that school is some magical place that the aliens can't detect.

If you compare the show to Battlestar Galactica you will start to see just how bad this show is. Both shows feature a small group of human survivors trying to fight back/run from a hostile invader. Both have hastily thrown together leadership and military assets. But after that all comparisons fall apart since BSG was simply far superior in the writing and pacing department.

I'm not sure what the ratings have done over the past couple of episodes, but I predict this one's viewership will dwindle quickly.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:40:12 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 03:28:32 PM »

I can't take Noah Wylie seriously in any role, let alone a alien-invasion-resistance-fighter. I concur that the aliens seem boring and dumb. Maybe that was intentional to direct emphasis to the human characters, but the performances from anyone else non-alien is wooden and flat at best. I'm rooting for the aliens to win in this one, either that or sudden revocation of the 2nd season. Whichever comes first.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »

Saw the pilot and the second episode last night... found them quite watchable.  Not great TV, but maybe above average and certainly watchable for now.
Baroquen131
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 03:48:44 AM »

I saw the first couple episodes and was entertained enough to have the DVR tape it. I don't make an appointment to watch it Sunday, but I've kept up watching it during the down times of the week. Not fantastic television, but decent. Light summer fare, I guess? /shrug

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 03:59:35 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 08, 2011, 01:10:28 PM

I agree that these aliens really do suck. They seem really dumb, but there's no way they are because they are advanced enough to travel light years and then take over our entire planet fairly easily. But at the same time they can't find and kill a group of 300 hundred humans traveling in broad daylight and standing around on roofs just miles from the alien base. Give me a break.

Did you ever consider that the aliens, after wiping out 99% of humanity, just dont care to hunt down any of these small pocket groups.  They dont consider them a threat and dont seem to want to hunt them. The aliens only react to them if the humans attack them.  Its not dumb, its logical.  They have other plans at this point and dont see the need to chase down the remnants of humanity.  Makes perfect sense to me.

This show isnt the greatest but its not that bad either.  Maybe my standards are not as high but thats cool with me. If I can enjoy The Walking Dead in spite of its countless plot holes, I guess I can easy enjoy this show.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
For those of you that hated the Wings guy.... no need to worry anymore
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 01:22:58 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on July 12, 2011, 03:59:35 AM

Did you ever consider that the aliens, after wiping out 99% of humanity, just dont care to hunt down any of these small pocket groups.  They dont consider them a threat and dont seem to want to hunt them. The aliens only react to them if the humans attack them.  Its not dumb, its logical.  They have other plans at this point and dont see the need to chase down the remnants of humanity.  Makes perfect sense to me.

This show isn't the greatest but its not that bad either.  Maybe my standards are not as high but thats cool with me. If I can enjoy The Walking Dead in spite of its countless plot holes, I guess I can easy enjoy this show.

I considered that, but if that's true then why did the writers go out of their way to open the pilot with an action scene where the aliens are actively hunting down the humans simply because there were collecting food, followed up with the aliens launching a very large bomb at a group of humans? Then create the plot point that the survivors need to split up into groups of 300 to avoid alien detection? If your theory is right then it's sloppy writing and if my theory is right then it's sloppy writing.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 08:38:56 PM »

I actually thought this last episode was pretty decent.  But mainly because of 2 words:  Moon.  Bloodgood.  Just love her, I don't know exactly why, but it was great seeing her kick some ass and show some raw emotion this ep.  Plus they took care of that other problem I had smile  Now if they would just get rid of Noah Wyle I'd be a happy camper.  In fact, give the whole show to Moon, the nun and the blond girl; they are the only interesting characters for me.  That teenage boy is cute but he has the personality of a lamp-post.  I guess like father like son.  If he takes his shirt off I'll give him a pass, otherwise they can kill him off too.

On to the aliens, I have to say I was intrigued by the way the skitter was coddling the kids during the rescue mission.  It's creepy but very interesting.  I'm also intrigued by the question of why the robots are, as mentioned in the show, designed in bipedal/human form instead of more like the aliens themselves.  I hope all of these things are well thought out and explained throughout the series.  It would be interesting if there were still other tiers or layers of aliens we haven't seen.  So maybe, for instance, the skitters are like slaves to a humanoid based alien species.

I still think the show has potential, with occasional signs of goodness, so I'm hoping for the best.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »

watched the second episode last night,it was alright,commercials are starting to piss me off...and some people being dumb also pisses me off icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 10:29:12 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2011, 04:35:34 PM

Saw the pilot and the second episode last night... found them quite watchable.  Not great TV, but maybe above average and certainly watchable for now.

I am now caught up.  Enjoying it.  Looking forward to the next episode, actually.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 02:01:10 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 13, 2011, 10:29:12 PM

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2011, 04:35:34 PM

I am now caught up.  Enjoying it.  Looking forward to the next episode, actually.

Ditto.  I really don't get the hate.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 03:33:21 PM »

Two hour season finale is on this Sunday. Should at least be interesting since the humans promise to actually go on the offensive in this episode. If it's not good then I'm not sure if I will watch season 2.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »

we just had episode 5 on Tuesday,i am still liking it,and saw that there are only 10 episodes so it certainly wont hurt me carrying on and watching ...i only have this and Teen Wolf series that i am watching on TV anyway Tongue icon_lol

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on July 12, 2011, 01:22:58 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on July 12, 2011, 03:59:35 AM

This show isn't the greatest but its not that bad either.  Maybe my standards are not as high but thats cool with me. If I can enjoy The Walking Dead in spite of its countless plot holes, I guess I can easy enjoy this show.

I considered that, but if that's true then why did the writers go out of their way to open the pilot with an action scene where the aliens are actively hunting down the humans simply because there were collecting food, followed up with the aliens launching a very large bomb at a group of humans? Then create the plot point that the survivors need to split up into groups of 300 to avoid alien detection? If your theory is right then it's sloppy writing and if my theory is right then it's sloppy writing.

Was going to reply to this earlier and forgot.  First off,  they pointed out in the pilot episode that they were basically on the doorstep of the alien base.  The aliens went after them because of that, not because they were gathering food.
 Think of it like this.  You have wasps around your house.  You go and find the hive and eliminate it and all the wasps.  Youve cleared your area and all is good.  Now if the occasional wasp happens to show up and sting you, you take it out, but youre not going then go out and scour the next square mile for wasp hives just in case.  Youve cleared what you need to and if any others come into your area you take them out.  Otherwise hunting them down any further isnt worth the time or resources.   As far as the small groups, the resistance determined that since larger groups were more noticeable and risked getting hit, it was far safer to split up.  Since theyve done so, the aliens have left them alone unless they've interfered with alien operations.
 I can understand if you dont like the show.  Even the most popular shows on TV have people who dont like them.  Still, I dont see sloppy writing there and they have been consistent with the concept.  I for one think its a pretty good show and has improved as its gone on.  Its not the best thing Ive seen on TV but its worth watching IMHO.   

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »

still liking the series, but is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more commercial breaks than usual for a TV series?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 05, 2011, 02:50:28 PM

still liking the series, but is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more commercial breaks than usual for a TV series?

I think so. I never set the remote down because it seems like I have to mash the Skip button every 5 minutes. On the plus side, it only takes 30 minutes to watch a one-hour episode.

I'm enjoying the show too, FWIW. Introducing a new alien type was an unexpected and interesting development. I'm glad it was picked up for another season.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2011, 03:35:17 AM »

Ive been watching it online through TNT and they run it commercial free.  You can see obvious commercial break points and it does seem like a lot but in the end the shows themselves have all run over 45 minutes.  Do they run over an hour when aired live? Or is it more that theres a lot of short commercial breaks?

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »

This show seems like the aliens killed everyone with IQ higher than 80. The amount of idiotic decisions made by these characters is staggering. Plus, I wanted a show about a band of resistance fighters bringing it to the alien overlords, not a weekly "where's my kid?" episode. It's about 90% "think of the children" and 10% "Noah Wyle and Moon Bloodgood flirt/banter", with a little action thrown in for good measure.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 06, 2011, 03:35:17 AM

Ive been watching it online through TNT and they run it commercial free.  You can see obvious commercial break points and it does seem like a lot but in the end the shows themselves have all run over 45 minutes.  Do they run over an hour when aired live? Or is it more that theres a lot of short commercial breaks?

nope, they don't run over an hour, but like Ironrod said it feels like every 5 minutes there's a break.  looking at TNT it looks like the 3 episodes they have up are under 42 minutes, and it looks like there's 5 breaks in an episode with a 6th one before the credits roll.  I don't know if 18 minutes of commercials is normal for hour long shows these day, but if it is then it seems like I notice it more in Falling Skies for some reason.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »

Ill have to time the next one.  It seems the listed time on the episodes is off because the last few have shown run times of around 41:30 but they always seem to run a few minutes past that.  IE: the timer bar at the bottom of the screen shows completed and the episode is still running.  I do know that 42-44 minutes is pretty standard for an "hour" long tv show, once the commercials are removed.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on August 06, 2011, 03:05:10 PM

It's about 90% "think of the children"

That child-centered storytelling is what I hate most about Spielberg.

Quote from: CeeKay on August 06, 2011, 03:33:32 PM

it looks like the 3 episodes they have up are under 42 minutes

My remote's Skip button goes in 30-second bursts, so I often overshoot the commercial breaks and lop off anywhere from a couple of seconds up to half a minute of the show. Being too lazy to back up after I overshoot, I probably end up missing couple of minutes of each episode just because of the frequent breaks. Haven't actually timed it, but I'd be surprised if it takes me >40 minutes to watch an hour-long episode.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on August 06, 2011, 03:05:10 PM

This show seems like the aliens killed everyone with IQ higher than 80. The amount of idiotic decisions made by these characters is staggering. Plus, I wanted a show about a band of resistance fighters bringing it to the alien overlords, not a weekly "where's my kid?" episode. It's about 90% "think of the children" and 10% "Noah Wyle and Moon Bloodgood flirt/banter", with a little action thrown in for good measure.

Haha! Well said. I'm glad it's wrapping up this week. I should've dumped it already, but meh, what's 1 more episode?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2011, 11:27:43 PM »

I feel the same way. There's no way I'll sign on for season 2 without them making some big changes in tone.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2011, 11:39:29 PM »

Quote from: McBa1n on August 06, 2011, 10:29:36 PM

what's 1 more episode?

actually Sunday night is two episodes  ninja

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2011, 10:25:53 PM »

You guys are gonna kill Rshetts.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:41:55 PM by Scraper » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2011, 04:00:28 AM »

I found the ending...
Spoiler for Hiden:
a little too Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I half expected them to wheel Richard Dreyfuss out there to join Noah on the ship.  smirk
though I finally "got into it" overall and have watched a lot of episodes during the weekend marathon.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2011, 04:51:20 AM »

it felt like too much stuff happened off screen in the finale, almost as if they could have had a whole other 30-60 minutes.

Quote from: Blackjack on August 08, 2011, 04:00:28 AM

I found the ending...
Spoiler for Hiden:
a little too Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I half expected them to wheel Richard Dreyfuss out there to join Noah on the ship.  smirk

yeah, that was a bit weak.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 09, 2011, 04:51:20 AM

it felt like too much stuff happened off screen in the finale, almost as if they could have had a whole other 30-60 minutes.

Quote from: Blackjack on August 08, 2011, 04:00:28 AM

I found the ending...
Spoiler for Hiden:
a little too Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I half expected them to wheel Richard Dreyfuss out there to join Noah on the ship.  smirk

yeah, that was a bit weak.

All the stuff happening off screen is no doubt about the show's budget. I bet next year you will get to see more of the action since the show got good ratings. All-in-all the finale was decent enough. The show still has it's problems, but I will probably tune in next season to see where they go with the story.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 10:49:06 AM »

we had the final two episodes last night,the first of these episodes was good and probably one of my favourites with the theme carrying on from the week before about Weaver being unfit to be C.O,the very last episode i enjoyed but that ending was just plain shit icon_confused

saw that the new series is not due until Summer 2012 Roll Eyes

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2011, 02:09:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 31, 2011, 10:49:06 AM

it's a summer series, so it not being back until next summer isn't really a big surprise  Tongue

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2011, 02:09:17 PM

it's a summer series, so it not being back until next summer isn't really a big surprise  Tongue

well that is the first program i have ever heard described as summer series,never heard that term before...do they just make this shit up to describe their schedule?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2011, 02:53:29 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 31, 2011, 02:38:26 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2011, 02:09:17 PM

well that is the first program i have ever heard described as summer series,never heard that term before...do they just make this shit up to describe their schedule?

it's becoming more and more common, with Summer no longer being nothing but re-runs.  a bunch of shows like Eureka, Warehouse 13 and a few others (Covert Ops, Royal Pains and Burn Notice to name some)air over the summer, and other shows have 'summer seasons' and then return for some episodes during the winter.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2011, 02:57:27 PM »

Yep cable networks have been doing this for years.  They get less network competition.  The regular networks have started doing summer series as well but for the most part theyve tended to be reality crap.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2012, 04:41:39 AM »

the 10 episode season 2 starts up June 17th.

Because I can,
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2012, 04:58:02 AM »

Good deal. While it wasn't always the most whizbang show for action at times it did slightly fill a need for some sci-fi in my admittedly meager TV watching.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: