http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:29:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TV] Falling Skies onwards to Season 4!  (Read 6356 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:51:45 PM »

written by the guy who scripted Saving Private Ryan.  the gist of it, since it's a snippet in the main article:

• UNTITLED ALIEN INVASION PROJECT Six months after a worldwide alien invasion, a group of everyday heroes must rise up to fight for their survival all while maintaining their humanity in the process. This project has been ordered to pilot and comes to TNT from DreamWorks Television and filmmaker Steven Spielberg, who will serve as executive producer along with DreamWorks Television heads Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank and screenwriter Robert Rodat. Rodat, who earned an Oscar nomination for his screenplay for Saving Private Ryan, is writing the script for the pilot from an idea he co-conceived with Spielberg.

best of all it's not on ABC, NBC, FOX or CBS, so it may have a better chance of survival  nod
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:17:21 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:52:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2009, 11:51:45 PM

best of all it's not on ABC, NBC, FOX or CBS, so it may have a better chance of survival  nod
Are you sure about that, given their piss poor treatment of Crusade?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:27:02 AM »

arise....

the series now has a name: Falling Skies

Quote from: pr0ner on May 21, 2009, 01:52:08 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2009, 11:51:45 PM

Are you sure about that, given their piss poor treatment of Crusade?

I think they've gotten better with handling their original series.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »

Premiere is June 19th.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:17:05 AM »

yeah, i saw a trailer for that on tv a while back and it looks pretty nice.  like a good big alien invasion story should and not a quick progression from us under a total threat of extinction fading into finding the secret weakness and kicking them off 2 hours later. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:06:19 PM »

here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjroVVhe8G0

it looks pretty cool.

Because I can,
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:25:18 AM »

I'm in for checking it out. Keep seeing the previews and it looks interesting.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 02:50:36 AM »

I'm in,i was the only person on the planet who liked Taken,and bought the DVD boxset(not the Liam Neeson Taken)...which that trailer reminded me a little of it with the childs voiceover(in Taken it was Dakota Fanning's voice that 'narrated' each episode)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 03:58:24 AM »

given the pedigree that tnt has been in with their recent shows, i will be in for watching this day one.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 06:20:04 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 16, 2011, 02:50:36 AM

I'm in,i was the only person on the planet who liked Taken,and bought the DVD boxset(not the Liam Neeson Taken)...which that trailer reminded me a little of it with the childs voiceover(in Taken it was Dakota Fanning's voice that 'narrated' each episode)

No way, dude - I was a big fan of Taken as well!  I watched it live when it aired and then re-watched it when I bought it on DVD.  Also recommended it to friends as well.  Now that you mentioned it, I kind of feel like watching it again, maybe this summer smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 16, 2011, 06:20:04 AM

No way, dude - I was a big fan of Taken as well!  I watched it live when it aired and then re-watched it when I bought it on DVD.  Also recommended it to friends as well.  Now that you mentioned it, I kind of feel like watching it again, maybe this summer smile

I totally forgot about that series, but now it's in my Netflix queue.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2011, 07:07:23 AM

Quote from: rittchard on May 16, 2011, 06:20:04 AM

I totally forgot about that series, but now it's in my Netflix queue.

when i was watching it on TV,i was loving it,and i told my friends but they weren't that interested,and i don't think it was getting good reviews at the time...so it felt like i was the only one enjoying it

I think you are right that it needs a re-watch soon

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »

Three free Falling Skies comics available at Dark Horse Digital.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »

Two hour series premiere tomorrow night.  Looking forward to it. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 08:57:25 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 18, 2011, 07:47:36 PM

Two hour series premiere tomorrow night.  Looking forward to it. 

oh, thank for the reminder!  I've been so distracted with something else I totally forgot that this was coming up already.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »

bah,we have to wait until 5th July(and its on FX channel,where Walking dead was first shown)

I know the first episode is a two hour pilot,but is this a normal series(season)as in an average 24 episodes or is it a mini-series?

EDIT:nvm..i saw this and found that there are 10 episodes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falling_Skies_episodes
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:14:36 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:13 AM »

First impressions: "limited commercial interruption" doesn't mean what it used to.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:36:52 AM »

Hehe, part of why I'm DVRing it... let me know your impressions so i can decide how soon to make myself watch.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 02:03:26 AM »

I really enjoyed TAKEN.  I recently watched it for a second time through and loved it even more than the first.  Great series.  And I will be watching this one too.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 02:56:18 AM »

This is terrible.  The series premiere was paced as though it were a mid-season filler episode.  It's averaging about four minutes of commercials for every eight minutes of show.  The aliens and their technology operate according to movie monster cliches.  The budget is too low to propel an action series and the characters are too dim and forgettable to sustain a character drama.

I hate it.

-Autistic Angel
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 03:07:58 AM »

The show was so ... boring. It looked like the world was taken over by 3 robots and a few guys with 6 legs. The show really made me miss Walking Dead. That's post apoc done awesome.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:33 AM »

Are there any glowing children? Spielberg always resorts to them sooner or later, and that's a deal breaker for me.

I hate glowing children.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 05:59:19 AM »

I turned it off about 40 minutes in. For the first episode of a new show, it certainly was slow moving. My favorite part of alien flicks are when the aliens take people by surprise and kick the shit out of everyone. This show bypassed all that with a 2 minute monologue by a kid and some children drawings. Lame.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »

Damn you guys are harsh. I watched the whole 2 hours, but I DVRd it then watched it so I could fast forward through the many commercials. I didn't think it was that bad and I will toon in for at least a couple more episode to give it a chance. The show has potential. But I also found myself thinking that it's very similar to The Walking Dead, only not as good. I think Zombies are much easier on the special effects budget than 6 legged aliens and 10 foot tall mechs.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »

Note to future freedom fighters:   If you choose to make your campsites and/or bases in areas that always result in the alien enemy appearing within minutes of any kind of commotion, you're too close.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »

Liking the first hour, but the second hour was meh.  Its on the summer rotation for my DVR, so nothing lost. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »

The opening scene in The Walking Dead depicted a man in a police uniform walking to a gas station with a fuel canister.  A hastily scrawled "No Gas" sign sways from a crossbar, but he keeps coming.  He sees a thick knot of vehicles jammed around the pumps: station wagons, minivans, and SUVs arranged in a silent, unmoving queue.  Some are parked on the grass, pushed out of the way to make room for more.  Backseats are piled with belongings, abandoned by travelers who didn't pause to shut the doors.

It's the kind of scene a cop would investigate, but this one doesn't reach for his radio.  He doesn't call out.  He approaches cautiously, quietly, wandering into the thicket of silent vehicles.  Articles of clothing are lying on the ground.  A small pile of empty food tins suggest people might even have lived here for a time, pooling supplies in the hopes they could hold out until someone arrived to help them.

The cop hears something from behind a van, but rather than announcing himself, he lays down on the ground to look underneath.  A pair of bare feet are shuffling past.  They're slow but unhesitating, dragging along without any pretense of stealth, suggesting their owner is unaware of his presence.  Now he hurries, getting up and coming around from behind to find a young girl stumbling along away from him.  The cop calls out.  The little girl turns around.

Her face is torn open, her eyes milky and yellowed.  She's a zombie, and just as you'd expect, she lifts her arms and starts shambling hungrily towards him.  Less expected is the small, soiled stuffed animal she clutches in one hand.  Regular monsters don't carry toys for comfort.  It's the first hint of something explored more later in the episode: that somewhere, deep inside, the dead still carry some vestigial spark of who they were in life. 

There's nothing in the debut two hours of Falling Skies that compares with the first five minutes of The Walking Dead.  Point by point, the audience is informed that aliens have arrived, taken over, killed "the entire military," and started attaching big centipedes to kids' spines while exterminating everyone else.  No one seems to mind when a major supply raid trades untold ammunition and several lives for a single can of tuna.  Pilgrimages of hundreds of refugees wander around in broad daylight without fear of detection.  Some are "fighters" while others are "civilians," with no apparent criteria for age or physical condition to distinguish the two.  Are all those able-bodied adults milling around in the background conscientious objectors?

I don't know how to excuse technologically advanced aliens who lay traps by hiding behind boxes in old warehouses and shouting the insectoid equivalent of "BOO!" when humans get close.  Maybe that guy was the Gomer Pyle of his unit.  I do know a few humans, though, and the characters in this alleged drama bear little resemblance.  Have you ever seen a group of people less concerned about the threat of death by gunfire, starvation, dehydration, or disease?  Hell, how they feel about walking all day, every day, without any particular destination in mind?  If it weren't for the existence of other, better shows -- or common sense -- you'd never suspect these things might be problems.

Falling Skies is awful.  Outside of the basic overarching premise of society being destroyed, I'm not sure how anyone could compare it to The Walking Dead except to highlight how much the AMC series did right.

-Autistic Angel
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 20, 2011, 05:00:14 PM

Falling Skies is awful.  Outside of the basic overarching premise of society being destroyed, I'm not sure how anyone could compare it to The Walking Dead except to highlight how much the AMC series did right.

I don't think it's awful, but most of those reasons you pointed out are why I said it's not as good as The Walking Dead. The character element just isn't here with Falling Sky, but I'm willing to give it a chance to see where it goes. Plus it's summer time, apart from HBO there isn't a whole lot on to compete with my DVR schedule.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:40 PM »

I thought that maybe I was being to harsh but Autistic Angel just nailed every single thing that was wrong with the first two hours. There is a general lack of story telling. I disliked most of the characters from the first scene. The ... what, three aliens we saw were about as menacing as wet puppies. Say what you want about Battle: LA. It was ten times more intense than Falling Skies. I wish someone like HBO had been in charge of this show.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 04:01:11 AM »

I haven't seen Walking Dead yet so I don't have to compare... on it's own merit I enjoyed the pilot. Enough that I'll watch a few more episodes at least. Plus, I've always enjoyed Noah Wyle.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 04:51:37 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on June 21, 2011, 04:01:11 AM

I haven't seen Walking Dead yet so I don't have to compare...

This needs to be fixed...ASAP.  Get thee to a video store...or netflix...or whatever.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »

I must have very low standards compared to others around here because I thought the pilot was both enjoyable and engaging.  I liked the actors/actresses and what little story we were given so far.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 09:46:34 PM »

Ugh.  The second half of the pilot was entirely centered on human vs human conflict when I imagine most people tuned in to see the human vs. alien conflict.

What happened in that conflict? Nothing. Humanity has no prospects for survival as the aliens focus on the elimination of smaller and smaller groups. Yet that doesn't keep people from tossing a frisbee around in the meadow. Woo woo!
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »

I would like to officially thank this thread for lowering my expectations so far that I'm enjoying this show. Watched the pilot and the second episode last night and will get caught up with the third one tonight. As my wife said, "After all the criticism you repeated to me I thought it was going to be worse than "V". It's not nearly that bad."

I still expect all the things I don't like about Spielberg to ruin it eventually, but I'm in it for the long haul anyway.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »

I'm enjoying it. I really liked the escalation in Sundays episode:

Spoiler for Hiden:
the scanner using kids armed with guns to attack the resistance.  Interesting tactic, I wonder if we'll see it again or if it will be forgotten.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 10:55:36 PM »

we just had the first episode played tonight,i quite liked it(it was an hour long,not 2 like you guys,we get the second half next week)...not sure about "hey its daylight lets make as much noise as possible on our Motorcycles" and groups of 300 people walking along in the open etc

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 01:14:45 AM »

AA summed it up pretty well, but i added this to my summary to a coworker: every time they showed us this supposedly terminator-esque mech aliens, they always managed to cut away to a commercial just as the alien attacked, then magically showed the human group all safe and sound a short while later, without any explanation. 

the kiddie thralls aspect could be interesting if they keep up on the children attacking the human resistance angle, and in fact could elevate this series to a higher level.  it's such a good idea that i really doubt spielberg would go through with it beyond a short story arc. 

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 03:46:15 AM »

I think the commercials must have borked the pacing up quite a bit.  I watched it on TNT.com and it ran without commercials.  I didnt really think it was all that bad.  As far as The Walking Dead,  it has its flaws as well.  You talk in glowing terms of the opening of the show yet fail to mention it starts out with a very glaring discrepancy, that I found difficult to accept. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
How does a man in a coma survive what has to be at the very least a few weeks, without electricity, sustenance and care of any kind while being laid out as a smorgasbord in a hospital that was apparently over run by zombies?
  I liked The Walking Dead but that little issue really struck me as lazy writing.    Anyway it seems if youre  set against liking a show every little discrepancy becomes major, if you want to like a show, then you tend to over look these things, because they are always there.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on July 06, 2011, 03:46:15 AM

I think the commercials must have borked the pacing up quite a bit.  I watched it on TNT.com and it ran without commercials.  I didnt really think it was all that bad.  As far as The Walking Dead,  it has its flaws as well.  You talk in glowing terms of the opening of the show yet fail to mention it starts out with a very glaring discrepancy, that I found difficult to accept.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
How does a man in a coma survive what has to be at the very least a few weeks, without electricity, sustenance and care of any kind while being laid out as a smorgasbord in a hospital that was apparently over run by zombies?
 I liked The Walking Dead but that little issue really struck me as lazy writing.    Anyway it seems if youre  set against liking a show every little discrepancy becomes major, if you want to like a show, then you tend to over look these things, because they are always there.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Rick may not have been alone for 3 to 4 weeks in that hospital bed.  Remember that there was a gurney shoved up against his room's door.  This points toward someone trying to keep him safe.  Just like the nurses, doctors and orderlies in some of the hospitals in New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina stayed to take care of patients too sick to move, it's not unthinkable that one of the undead nurses wandering around the hallway when Rick wakes up WAS a zombie because she stayed with the patients as long as she could...a zombie who hasn't been a zombie for very long, if you catch my drift.  

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 06:30:01 PM »

I had an interesting experience watching the most recent episode.  First half of the ep, for no apparent reason, I was just getting bored to tears.  I paused the show and told my partner I was watching "Boring Skies" or more aptly, "Falling Asleep."  I came back and watched the last 20 minutes and was completely engaged, don't know why.  

Overall my feelings are mixed.  I love Moon Bloodgood, and I'm liking the new blond chick they picked up (wish she was in it more), but other than that, most of the cast I don't particularly care for.  That makes liking the show tough for me, because I've just never been a Noah Wyle fan.  And every time I see any of the Wings guys, I cringe and lunge for the remote.  The storyline has lots of potential, but it's tough to see where they are heading.  Alien invasion can make for great stories, but it's also difficult in a TV series to keep momentum/pacing going, but not go so fast you have to end the story.  That makes the cast even more important, and I just don't feel like Noah Wyle can carry it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: