he owner of a house that exploded in Indianapolis, killing two people and damaging dozens of homes so severely officials say they must be demolished, said Monday that a problem furnace could be at fault.
John Shirley, 50, of Noblesville, told The Associated Press that his daughter sent him a text message last week complaining that the furnace in the home where she lives with her mother and her mother's boyfriend had gone out and required them to stay at hotel.
But Shirley also said when he asked if the furnace had been fixed, his daughter said yes, and he wasn't aware of any additional problems until he heard from his daughter again Sunday morning.
"I get a text from my daughter saying `Dad, our home is gone.' Then I called my ex-wife and she said what happened," he said.
A source in touch with the couple told CBS Indianapolis affiliate WISH-TV that a member of the family had smelled gas in the house.
Citizens Energy tested for gas leaks in the neighborhood but hasn't found any. She said crews were also testing lines that run from the gas main to the home and were testing the home's gas meter. She said the utility had no record of abnormal gas consumption in the home that exploded.